Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 AM   #181
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
Has the Nations file been updated to include South Sudan yet? FHMs wasn't!
I doubt it
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:06 AM   #182
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
I'm not clear on how this would save mouse clicks or be any less navigation than the existing toolbar slots. Unless of course, you're suggesting the mini-calendar will actually fill a page of months with each day readily accessible. You'd still click for the calendar, click a day in a month if more than one month were exposed, and/or change the year, if applicable, at a minimum. In addition, in order to display that many dates- even a month at a time -you'd almost need another page or a very large dropdown, and the landscape'd be eaten up with calendar info.
Consider the current arrangement, which is three separate drop-down menus: one for the date, one for the month, and one for the year. Each takes two clicks to use (one to open the menu, and one to make the selection). So to change from, say, May 10th to May 3rd takes two clicks; to change from May 10th to April 15th takes four clicks.

Now consider the mini-calendar in the sample screenshot below. To change to any other day in the same month takes just a single click; moreover, the visual of a calendar is more intuitive to use, and switching to any other date is a natural process. Note the months running down the right side; months in which no games were played are greyed out. To change to any other month takes but a single click.

So in a mini-calendar system it takes only one click to go from May 10th to May 3rd, as opposed to two in the current system; that's half as many, and in a more visually intuitive manner. Likewise, changing from May 10th to April 15th takes just two clicks as compared to four in the current implementation; again, that's half as many clicks in a more visually intuitive system. Indeed, one can jump to any date in the season with just two clicks.

Now, yes, a mini-calendar does take up more screen space than the current drop-down menus. But it's not as if the mini-calendar need be present on every screen; it only need be available on screens where switching dates seems like a natural companion function (e.g. the Scores and Schedule screens). Another way to tackle it is similar to MLB.com's web site, where the mini-calendar is a popout. It's minimized by default, but you can click to expand it. Then it can stay visible until one is finished with it, and then it can be minimized again. (My preference would be to leave it visible all the time and integrate it into the screen.)

Here is my little mock-up of a mini-calendar; I have little doubt a clever graphics designer can make it even smaller while still retaining its usefulness.
Attached Images

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 02-11-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #183
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Consider the current arrangement, which is three separate drop-down menus: one for the date, one for the month, and one for the year. Each takes two clicks to use (one to open the menu, and one to make the selection). So to change from, say, May 10th to May 3rd takes two clicks; to change from May 10th to April 15th takes four clicks.

Now consider the mini-calendar in the sample screenshot below. To change to any other day in the same month takes just a single click; moreover, the visual of a calendar is more intuitive to use, and switching to any other date is a natural process. Note the months running down the right side; months in which no games were played are greyed out. To change to any other month takes but a single click.

So in a mini-calendar system it takes only one click to go from May 10th to May 3rd, as opposed to two in the current system; that's half as many, and in a more visually intuitive manner. Likewise, changing from May 10th to April 15th takes just two clicks as compared to four in the current implementation; again, that's half as many clicks in a more visually intuitive system. Indeed, one can jump to any date in the season with just two clicks.

Now, yes, a mini-calendar does take up more screen space than the current drop-down menus. But it's not as if the mini-calendar need be present on every screen; it only need be available on screens where switching dates seems like a natural companion function (e.g. the Scores and Schedule screens). Another way to tackle it is similar to MLB.com's web site, where the mini-calendar is a popout. It's minimized by default, but you can click to expand it. Then it can stay visible until one is finished with it, and then it can be minimized again. (My preference would be to leave it visible all the time and integrate it into the screen.)

Here is my little mock-up of a mini-calendar; I have little doubt a clever graphics designer can make it even smaller while still retaining its usefulness.
I don't care how the calender is done as long as it is a popup. I have probably used the calender feature 2 times in my ~12 years of playing OOTP, PLEASE don't make it open all of the time. Having said that...

With the current setup it is only one click to change the date within the same month you simply have to have the "open menu by hovering mouse" option turned on. So then changing month and date is two clicks now, same as your requested calender. Changing the year is also one click away so three total clicks to change month\day\year in v14. I'm not seeing an easy way to change the year in your mockup though I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to add.

Other than preferring one look over the other I'm not seeing how putting in the new calender makes anything faster than it is now unless it is an always open calender, which I would hate due to it being something I basically never use. Am I missing something? Of course if it was setup as an option to have always open or closed with the hover to open feature I'd have no problem as long as a quick way to switch the year too was added. And FWIW the year is important as a quick change to me because if I use this feature I would be way more likely to look back at standings from last year to see who was where on Sept 1 than I am to look back at any date in the current season (and in truth I'm not likely to do that either)
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #184
Reikazawa
Minors (Triple A)

Any chance Draft information can be added to the Personal Details section so we don't have to go to the History tab to get that info? In the almanac player pages, it's in the Status section. Ex. "Drafted: 2056, 11th Pick in Round 1".
Reikazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #185
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikazawa View Post
Any chance Draft information can be added to the Personal Details section so we don't have to go to the History tab to get that info? In the almanac player pages, it's in the Status section. Ex. "Drafted: 2056, 11th Pick in Round 1".
that would be really nice. or at least one common place, having to go through the whole history to find out (i have feeders, so lot's of entries prior to the draft) is painful.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #186
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's also easily accessible on the BNN Player Page.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #187
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Don't want to speak for Markus but pretty sure that was on a list of changes he was considering floating around here somewhere.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 02-11-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #188
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
It's also easily accessible on the BNN Player Page.
i must have missed it, i always have to go through the whole list. Would you mind a screen shot. thanks...
Old 02-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #189
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
i must have missed it, i always have to go through the whole list. Would you mind a screen shot. thanks...
Click on a player BNN Page, scroll to the bottom. It will be the first entry on his history.

_
Attached Images
Old 02-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #190
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Click on a player BNN Page, scroll to the bottom. It will be the first entry on his history.

_
Thanks, i'll have to check when i go home, i always remembered this being buried within a bunch of other entries from HS, College and prior drafts when he doesn't sign and not always obvious.
Do you need a different setting to make sure it goes to the top like that?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #191
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
Thanks, i'll have to check when i go home, i always remembered this being buried within a bunch of other entries from HS, College and prior drafts when he doesn't sign and not always obvious.
Do you need a different setting to make sure it goes to the top like that?
It's ordered by date, so should be the very first entry. It shows how a player entered the league. In my example, he came in through the ammy draft.

Other statements you'll see there are such as "Signed as international FA, or International Amateur FA, or other, depending on how he entered your league.

It should always be the first entry though, since he has no history in your league prior to that date.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #192
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post

Let me get this straight. If the mini-calendar is hidden, it will require an extra click to open it. Thus, it'll save the user one click at best (when he wants to change both the month and day). But it will require the same number of clicks to change just the day. To save the user two clicks, the mini-calendar will have to be displayed all the time. How often do people change the date? Probably not that often. Would a mini-calendar really be a good use of real estate? I just don't see it.

And I can do without the hyperbole in the original complaint.

Last edited by pstrickert; 02-11-2014 at 01:38 PM.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #193
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

I don't think it is first if you have feeders on but otherwise it should be the first entry.

One suggestion I'd make is to bold it - it would be much easier to find.

OOTP Grand League Champion 2015
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #194
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post
I don't think it is first if you have feeders on but otherwise it should be the first entry.

And why bold that particular news item in a player history and not other items? Is that the single most important piece of information on there?

Maybe for some it is, maybe for others it's not.

It's not hard to find either way.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #195
Righty Groove
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
That would be really good. Specially because you don't usually go to the history screen of most players, and the player tab is the most visited.

Would be easier to (acidentaly but effortlessly) spot those good players who were drafted really late.
Righty Groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #196
Reikazawa
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty Groove View Post
That would be really good. Specially because you don't usually go to the history screen of most players, and the player tab is the most visited.

Would be easier to (acidentaly but effortlessly) spot those good players who were drafted really late.
Yup, and it provides narrative and character depth to the player. An MVP type performer taken from the 25th round? Great story.
Reikazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #197
Righty Groove
Minors (Triple A)

Yes, definitely.

Don't get me wrong, I know this info is already accessible. But it takes a much more front-page viewing in the player profile page. And it also fits, below 'Service time' and above 'Popularity', it's perfect.
Righty Groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #198
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post

this is what i remembered, i would get a bunch of entries from feeders, ratings each year, the achievements, random info so it is not always on the screen. but i'll look later.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #199
Marinersfan51
All Star Reserve

The draft information is on the BNN Player Page here
Attached Images
Marinersfan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #200
boss1968
Minors (Double A)

Any screens of the game play screen yet ?
boss1968 is offline   Reply With Quote