Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Joebatters
Bat Boy

So what do you guys do with the game?

I've had ootp14 for almost 3 months, I'm just figuring out all it can do. I just discovered the Seamhead League and I love that. I love having all my favorite players on my team and I just manage them during the games. It's fun. Before that I was playing some historical replays. I think that would be cool in play in a league one when I get more confident. Just wondering..how do you guys enjoy the game? There may be some things I'm missing. Ootp14 seems pretty complex. Lots of fun though.
Joebatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebatters View Post
I've had ootp14 for almost 3 months, I'm just figuring out all it can do. I just discovered the Seamhead League and I love that. I love having all my favorite players on my team and I just manage them during the games. It's fun. Before that I was playing some historical replays. I think that would be cool in play in a league one when I get more confident. Just wondering..how do you guys enjoy the game? There may be some things I'm missing. Ootp14 seems pretty complex. Lots of fun though.
I enjoy the game in many ways. When i 1st got 11 I played all the best White Sox seasons. I am 1-6 in WS real Sox are 3-2. I won in 1994.
I have my long running EBL vs MLB league which is why i switched from High Heat to OOTP to begin with and this is my primary league. Took me 3 versions to work the bugs out.
I have 2 versions of my ABF league which is a 20 team league in 2015. 2000-2012 i added people that I met each year as clone of ML stars.
Version 2 is North vs South in 1875.
I have my NFL version 16 game season as the Bears. I am redoing the NFL schedule to start in September vs April.
I also have a 4 sports league I am working on with accurate NBA., NHL & NFL schedules.
I sometimes play my Top 25 team. Which is my top 25 favorite players of all time on the White Sox. Thomas, Maddux, Dawson, Baines. Rest of the league is Random debut.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 AM   #3
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Mostly I play historical or fictional games - don't really have any interest in playing with modern players - usually I like to just run in commissioner mode and not run any specific team, but occasionally I do manage a team. Great thing about OOTP is there are so many ways you can enjoy it.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

on Tuesdays we go out for pizza and on Saturdays we get wasted and party all night.

sometimes I slay even myself

seriously, I play fictoral, "real" and fictional players mixed in different environments. even go so far as to plan it out on a spreadsheet

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball

Last edited by jazzrack; 01-21-2014 at 05:22 AM.
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrack View Post
on Tuesdays we go out for pizza and on Saturdays we get wasted and party all night.

sometimes I slay even myself

seriously, I play fictoral, "real" and fictional players mixed in different environments. even go so far as to plan it out on a spreadsheet

Do you have a quickstart of this league? It looks pretty interesting!
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
Do you have a quickstart of this league? It looks pretty interesting!
I will when it's done, I am still working on getting it right.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Sweet! I am looking forward to playing this!
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
farmkidD2
Minors (Single A)

I like alternate reality leagues. You can do this through historical leagues, but my favorite is modern fictional leagues that have a history of why it is different than the current MLB today. For example, I played briefly in the PEBA, a neat universe where baseball as we knew it collapsed and so this league started up. They have a very neat, detailed history. They also have a thriving community which only adds to the realism of the league. I had to quit because of my wife.

I'm currently the commish of a slow paced MLB quickstart league with just my brother and brother in law. We take it easy, but we still have a decent community just because we know each other. I still miss the PEBA though.

Whatever you do to help you make it more fun. I'm currently working on a post-apocalyptic fictional world set in the Fallout universe. The country being decimated by nuclear war, they needed something to bring them together. Somehow, the game of baseball gets unearthed from the history archives, and it takes the broken country like storm, becoming the dominate national past-time that it once was. I'm still working on the idea, but that is what makes it fun for me.

Hope this helps give you some good ideas.
farmkidD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

I play a historical league with some twists

I affiliate minors with MLB right away in 1901, I fill up the low minors with fictional players and maybe 1 or 2 will make an impact on MLB

After that it's Spritze's DB with players coming in from 16-20 yrs old, despite their real debut. It also has PCL/Negro Leaguers and Japanese players...some of those become solid big league players.

I let the AI trade so, Joe Jackson and Tris Speaker might be the 1-2 punch of an Indians dynasty in the 1910's, but I will throw guys on the trading block for AI teams for varied reasons.

I make sure I edit players coming into the league...the Spritze DB is meant to be used for the draft, so birthdates are a year off, plus Rube Waddell is talented, but I make sure his work ethic,leadership and intelligence are very low, while someone like Tommy Leach is smart and hard working. Guys who become managers, have good leadership, those who had back problems for example have high injury rating in that area.

I have gotten varied results, more HOFers and good players becoming scrubs than vice versa.

About to scrap my current sim to restart..again. This time having the International and American Association in one league so I can have a AAA All star game and Little Word Series between them, AA would be Texas League and Southern Association, A would be Eastern League and Western League

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
I play a historical league with some twists

I affiliate minors with MLB right away in 1901, I fill up the low minors with fictional players and maybe 1 or 2 will make an impact on MLB

After that it's Spritze's DB with players coming in from 16-20 yrs old, despite their real debut. It also has PCL/Negro Leaguers and Japanese players...some of those become solid big league players.

I let the AI trade so, Joe Jackson and Tris Speaker might be the 1-2 punch of an Indians dynasty in the 1910's, but I will throw guys on the trading block for AI teams for varied reasons.

I make sure I edit players coming into the league...the Spritze DB is meant to be used for the draft, so birthdates are a year off, plus Rube Waddell is talented, but I make sure his work ethic,leadership and intelligence are very low, while someone like Tommy Leach is smart and hard working. Guys who become managers, have good leadership, those who had back problems for example have high injury rating in that area.

I have gotten varied results, more HOFers and good players becoming scrubs than vice versa.

About to scrap my current sim to restart..again. This time having the International and American Association in one league so I can have a AAA All star game and Little Word Series between them, AA would be Texas League and Southern Association, A would be Eastern League and Western League
Are you a recalc or a development guy?
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
farmkidD2
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Jazzrack, that looks amazing. When you guys say quickstart, I'm confused by what you mean exactly.

Is it "quickstart", as in the MLB quickstart where you click the button, download and install the "all-in-one-mod", via add-on central? Or are you just saying that you set everything up in-game and collect all the photos and images, caps and jerseys and put them in separate zip files and give them to people who want them? Or if enough people want them is there a way to make them easy to setup via the add-on central page?
farmkidD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
slic1149
Major Leagues

I play nothing but historical. I like to play a specific star's career and see how they perform against their real career. I have done Stan Musial, George Brett, Babe Ruth, and Charlie Gehringer.
slic1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmkidD2 View Post
Jazzrack, that looks amazing. When you guys say quickstart, I'm confused by what you mean exactly.

Is it "quickstart", as in the MLB quickstart where you click the button, download and install the "all-in-one-mod", via add-on central? Or are you just saying that you set everything up in-game and collect all the photos and images, caps and jerseys and put them in separate zip files and give them to people who want them? Or if enough people want them is there a way to make them easy to setup via the add-on central page?
I have no idea about the add-ons central or how you get there.

as for the others. anybody can make a good template or quickstart, given enough time and attention to detail. then you just put the file someplace like the new OOTP Community Wiki, or other mod site or file sharing service, so others can download it. then it's just a matter of putting in the proper folder and fire it up like any other quickstart or template.

I do have a couple early files up on the server, i'll put them on B.o.B.'s wiki page when I get a few minutes

Last edited by jazzrack; 01-22-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Are you a recalc or a development guy?
Development guy

With Spritze's DB I lower the aging and development of pitchers and batters and set randomness at 90

That's how I got guys like Rocky Nelson, Pud Miller and Red Durrent as world beaters and guys like Allie Reynolds was a career minor leaguer, Hank Greenberg was good not great but guys like Newcombe,Ted Williams and Stan Musial were still HOFers

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
gRaider2001
Minors (Triple A)

I really enjoy playing fictional leagues. I always sim the first 30 years of the league so it can have a history. I then pick a team to gm from there. I let the computer set lineups and such, and I just focus on gm duties.
gRaider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
Chisox59
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have played mostly with fictional players in leagues I have created, and have started a historical replay with the White Sox in 1961, but the league, or association, I am starting now is my "baby" that I have planned for a long time.

I have always wanted a league consisting of every player who has MLB experience in it. This of course would be a league, or multiple leagues, with a huge number of teams. Originally I planned on having 192 teams in all, spread across 8 leagues, with 40 man rosters for each team. An AAA league (the only minor league) would allow players not on the 25-man roster to play, though only 15 players would be on each AAA team and the rest would be ghost players. Eventually I realized it was just too much work to create 192 teams using real players (over 7500 players from 1900 until present day!), so I scaled down my plans and have instead constructed one single league with 96 teams in total, using almost all players from about 1975 until the present day.

I am also going to construct an independent league using real players from the same time period who aren't in the 96-team league (pretty much guys who had less than 100 ABs or 20 IP in their real careers). This will serve as an additional feeder league for my 96-team league, giving some new players I add each season some professional "history". I have no clue how that is to be done, however!

My plan as the seasons go by is to add real players going in reverse chronologically, so the first few off seasons I'll add players from the late 60s, then early 60s maybe 5 years down the road, then lates 50s ten years down the road, and so on through the decades. I'll add negro league and international star players (such as Cuban legend Cristobal Torriente or Sadaharu Oh) as well to keep an international flavor, can't have the league become all white in 25 years or so!

Oh forgot to add this will all be done through commissioner mode, that way I can ensure every player who retires (or just stinks!) can be replaced by another real player for the next season. As the length of my post hints at I'm pretty excited, still probably weeks away from having everything set up though! The schedule I'll need to make is going to be a tough process, I'm putting that off until last!

Last edited by Chisox59; 04-03-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Chisox59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I play fictional but with meticulous attention to getting statistical output in the 2008-2012 range. I use a soft cap and a 100% tax to stabilize the financials. I play around with the aging/development modifiers to work the age distribution closer to real life. Last but not least I have a dominant team a la Yankees of the 40's and 50's.

It's a tribute to the improvements made in the game that I can no longer win WS at will. In my current league played over v13 and v14 the drought has lasted 8 seasons.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #18
El Muneco
Bat Boy

I bought the game to see if I could reboot an old idea I had around 1990 with Earl Weaver Baseball on my Amiga and my trusty McMillan Encyclopedia - an all time league with teams built around themes: switch-hitters, speedsters, isolated power, historic franchises (tigers, phillies, cardinals, red sox), a couple of all-decade teams, and a couple of weirdos (one of them a team built [almost] entirely out of players named Alomar, Robinson and Smith).

I tried out some historical starts to get a feel for the game. After a few false starts, I got a good career going with the 1984 Mariners. Then when I hit a stopping point, I thought I'd try again knowing what I know now.

I'll let you know when I get back to the original plan...
El Muneco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #19
Mordeth65
Bat Boy

I have been testing things out for 3 weeks. I now have a handle on it.

I am creating a post MLB league. MLB has failed because the Fans got sick of the worthless scum cheating.

I am working on the ML, it has 40 teams. It really takes a lot of planning!! Then I will go down the line and fix the minors and feeders.

I have been working on the major's for 4 days now. If I am lucky I will have league ready for testing in a few weeks. All fictional, teams and players. I have real life for real stats.

I have let New York, Los Angeles and Chicago each have one team in each league. I am debating on Houston having 2. They are real close to Chicago in population. Decisions, decisons!! That being said, I always GM the Dallas Team.

I am not sure I can stress this enough. DO NOT FORGET to ADD FEEDER Leagues!!! Having a 1 player draft pool is not as funny as you would think.
Mordeth65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #20
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordeth65 View Post
I have been testing things out for 3 weeks. I now have a handle on it.

I am creating a post MLB league. MLB has failed because the Fans got sick of the worthless scum cheating.

I am working on the ML, it has 40 teams. It really takes a lot of planning!! Then I will go down the line and fix the minors and feeders.

I have been working on the major's for 4 days now. If I am lucky I will have league ready for testing in a few weeks. All fictional, teams and players. I have real life for real stats.

I have let New York, Los Angeles and Chicago each have one team in each league. I am debating on Houston having 2. They are real close to Chicago in population. Decisions, decisons!! That being said, I always GM the Dallas Team.

I am not sure I can stress this enough. DO NOT FORGET to ADD FEEDER Leagues!!! Having a 1 player draft pool is not as funny as you would think.
While Chicago and Houston are just a few thousand apart in population, the metro areas are almost 4 million apart in population. 9.52 to 5.68. It is not realistic to have one team in Chicago, NY, & LA but 2 in Houston.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote