Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #21
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I always felt that there should be a personality called cocky

Unlike selfish hes actually liked by his teammates and as local fans but due to showboating not so like by the opponents and often gets hit by pitchers

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #22
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
I always felt that there should be a personality called cocky

Unlike selfish hes actually liked by his teammates and as local fans but due to showboating not so like by the opponents and often gets hit by pitchers
Also known as...Marcus Stroman.
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #23
DB930
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
I would have categorized Pedroia as either fan favorite or maybe even Captain material.

Mookie Betts would be the same. Fan favorite or maybe captain material.

Chris Sale would either be outspoken for the crazy Chris Sale that you see at times (cutting up unis?) or the sparkplug that his teams love because he always grinds

Brock Holt and Andrew Benintendi are best buds and often goof around with each other. (I wish there was a way that you could categorize friendships or enemies).

Hanley Ramirez would definitely be the unmotivated type

...Is this just for modern MLB?
I guess I'm just pretty reluctant to throw the "captain" label around too easily (especially for younger players like Mookie). To me, that's Jeter/Varitek territory, and there shouldn't be more than a handful of them in the entire league at any one time.

I probably would've put Pedroia in the "captain" category, until last year when he threw his teammates under the bus during the whole dust-up with the Orioles. (If you remember, Barnes had just thrown at Machado's head in retaliation for Pedroia getting spiked, and TV cameras caught Pedroia telling Machado that it wasn't his idea, and his teammates were doing it on their own. Probably true, but wait and tell him that privately after the game, or send him a text or whatever. Don't yell it from the dugout.)
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #24
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarrett View Post
Also known as...Marcus Stroman.
And Brandon Phillips
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #25
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

That Stroman comment brings up a good point - who is the personality supposed to reflect? The player's character to the team and local fanbase or league in general?

Marcus Stroman or Jose Bautista would have a very different rating internally than externally.

(Oh, I was surprised by the comments about Price. His short time in Toronto made him seem like very much a team player.)

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #26
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post

(Oh, I was surprised by the comments about Price. His short time in Toronto made him seem like very much a team player.)
David Price is WAAAYYY different in Boston or, should I say, he is very very bad fit in Boston.

It's very simple what it takes to do well in Boston. You have to be the type of guy that lives and dies with every pitch. A dirt dog like Pedroia or Trot Nixon back in the day. You don't have to be great, but you have to seem like you care about every single game like it's the most important thing in the world to you (even when it's not). And finally, the second you start whining, you drop about 5,000 likability points (David Ortiz was the only guy who could whine, and even so it was rare, and get away with it and even HE got ripped when he did it).

The way Price comes across is very surfacey and laid back, very California style with a little bit of attitude, but not the good type of attitude. A good attitude to come with is the "Oh you don't think I can play? Well watch my next start!" and a bad attitude is, like David Price, complaining, "Why doesn't the media around here ask me more questions about my charities..."
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #27
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
That Stroman comment brings up a good point - who is the personality supposed to reflect? The player's character to the team and local fanbase or league in general?
Generally speaking, it's how it affects his teammates.

Eventually, I think it would be a good thing to make them more dynamic, where a change of team alters a guy's impact. I'd also like to see more change/progression over time; there is some, but not much. As with everything, there's only so much the devs can do at a time, and some things have to wait.
frangipard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #28
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

A few thoughts on this subject about my Colorado Rockies:
Probably not a news flash of any sort but Charlie Blackmon is obviously a fan favorite and I would say also fills the role of prankster.

I have read articles that certainly indicate that Gerardo Parra has played a sparkplug role on the team, particularly with his locker room personality.

My sense is that D.J. LeMahieu would fit the humble role and is very well liked by his teammates (especially good buddies with Blackmon.)

At times I have heard rumors about Carlos Gonzalez possibly not having the best work ethic, but I've heard the opposite as well. What does seem clear at this stage of his career with the Rockies is that he is popular with his teammates and very popular with the fans. (Nickname CarGo doesn't hurt. Fans love a good nickname.) My sense is that he is very much a team leader though I would think falls short of true captain status.

Arenado is of course clearly the leader on the field, though I don't think he quite rises to the level of captain in the clubhouse. He is a leader, not THE leader. (Yet, anyway.) Not sure a player of his caliber can really be given the title of sparkplug, but certainly in terms of on field behavior and always going all out, he does provide a spark.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #29
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
At times I have heard rumors about Carlos Gonzalez possibly not having the best work ethic, but I've heard the opposite as well. What does seem clear at this stage of his career with the Rockies is that he is popular with his teammates and very popular with the fans.
I think the answer is likely "both." In real life, the same guys who are problem children as 23 year old rookies, in one settings can be the model citizens as they mature or get around a different group.
frangipard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #30
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

jsut know your local newspaper only says good things about personality.

better rely on crime reports or how often you see them wasted at a local bar, lol.

in detroit, everony is doing well and amazing attitude until they get to the MLB and you learn Rondon is jsut some fat boy who doesn't care.. and jiminez is some idiot who refused to develop anything but his fastball because it worked in the minors so well, lol...

they will almost never knock their own players and the local sports pages generally adhere to this too.. even Rondon got the benefit of the doubt for 1.5years here before they mocked him for attitude. it reduces their trade value.. that's not an acceptable outcome.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-14-2018 at 10:54 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #31
Aaron's Aron
Minors (Single A)

There are definitely some difficulties when deciding these player personalities. I'm not sure how stingy you want to be with giving these out, so maybe what I am calling a Captain would just be a Leader or a small amount away from Captain to you. Some of the players I listed multiple personalities in order of preference, so if they were not given one, I would attribute the next one in the line. The Sparkplug personality also gave me much trouble, as I can't seem to find any consistent ratings other than high Work Ethic that correlate to the personality, unlike the other ratings. Finally, I'm aware that Leader isn't a personality, but since it appears on the Team Chemistry Page, I though I'd mention it.

Joey Votto: Captain
I'd consider him about as close to a perfect player personality as possible. Pretty much 200 in everything except Greed and Desire for Win, which I would put really low. He has been a great influence on both the older and younger players in the clubhouse for the last few years, and it's become increasingly prevalent over the last year. You can even see it in other players stats, with Cozart and Suarez greatly increasing their walk rates after learning from Votto.

Shed Long: Sparkplug (Maybe?)
Definitely high Work Ethic and Loyalty. I can't figure out how to make the Sparkplug personality appear in the editor though, so I'm not sure if he fits what the game considers that mold.

Nick Senzel: Fan Fav/Sparkplug/Captain
He always gives it his all in the field and on the basepaths. Extremely high Work Ethic, good Intelligence, Adaptability, Leader, and Loyalty. I'm on the edge for whether he has the Leader stat needed to be a Captain, so if you didn't give it to him, I would probably be okay with that.

Taylor Trammell: Captain/Humble/Fan Fav
Trammell has given multiple great interviews recently and has been lauded for his mature and thoughtful answers. He has talked and and answered the way most people his age do not. Great Intelligence, Work Ethic, Leader, and Loyalty. Very low Greed and low Desire for Winner.

Homer Bailey: Nothing
I don't really have any hard info for this one, but rather it's a feeling. Last year, his player personality was really bad. I don't think it needs to be great, but I don't think there's much warranting it being bad anymore. I don't feel too strongly about this one though, so if it stays the same I won't be too stressed.

Luis Castillo: Humble/Sparkplug/Prankster*
Castillo has been seen as having the personality to match his great stuff. He has been said multiple times to tell his teammates not to worry when they make a bad play while he's pitching because he'll get the next guy. He's very intelligent and mature, handing things well. *Note: When I put in the ratings I would give him, it spits out Prankster. I've never really viewed Prankster as all that good (although not necessarily bad), and I don't think Castillo is a prankster, although since he keeps it positive on the field with the fielders when they make mistakes, that could be described as a Prankster? I just don't feel like most players who have Prankster spit out are actually that, but maybe I'm just looking at Prankster wrong.

Hunter Greene: Captain
His personality should be really good. Low greed, desire for win, high everything else. It's been said by multiple sources many times that he is a great person and a real leader; a true face of a franchise. You've probably read all about him yourself, so I won't write too much about it here.

Tyler Stephenson: Captain/Leader
Multiple teammates and coaches said great things about his leadership ability, intelligence and his work ethic in coming back from injury.

Jeter Downs: Fan Fav/Captain
I don't remember why exactly I have him as a Captain in my current game (although he's right on the border of Captain and Fan Fav). I know in multiple reports I've seen/heard he is intelligent, a hard worker, and a leader though. I'd have to go back and search for the sources I've got this from because I don't remember right off the top of my head.

Scooter Gennett: Fan Fav/Sparkplug
He works hard, seems to be a decent leader in the clubhouse, and everyone loves him.

Tucker Barnhart: Captain
The players and coaches often say he's a good teammate, leader, and hard worker.

Eugenio Suarez: Sparkplug with Leader/Fan Fav
It has frequently been talked about this Spring Training how much of a leader Suarez has become. He works hard, especially in trying to improve his defense. I don't know if he should be Captain, but I think Leader would make sense. Sparkplug could work as well, but again, I'm not sure exactly what ratings correspond to Sparkplug in the game.

Zack Cozart (Angels organization): Captain
It was often said by those in the clubhouse that he was a great leader, especially for the younger guys.

Royce Lewis (Twins organization): Captain

Last edited by Aaron's Aron; 03-19-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Aaron's Aron is offline   Reply With Quote