Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
jldante56
Major Leagues

Goalie Development Issues

I'm 10 seasons into Sandbox mode and there are no goalies in the league or in the minors that are under 30 years old and rated higher than 2 stars. . .it seems like goalie prospects never develop into starters. . .Any ideas? I;'m having to create good goalies as young free agents and put them in the pool in order to keep competitive balance. . .
jldante56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:47 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Is this an NHL sandbox game or a fictional setup? If it's fictional, what's the exact format? I have a long-term all-leagues test running with the new update and there are three five-star goalies in the NHL in 2045, and many more 3-4 star ones.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
jldante56
Major Leagues

NHL sandbox that I started from initial release after Beta and have updated to most current.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:28 AM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

It may need a few seasons for the development changes in the post-release updates to become more evident. What are Carter Hart and Ilya Samsonov looking like right now for current/potential star ratings in your game?
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:37 AM   #5
jldante56
Major Leagues

Interesting. . .Carter Hart is 2.5 current/3 potential. Samsonov is 4.5/4.5. It's more none of the goalies that have been drafted since the beginning seem to develop. . .

When looking at goalies under 25 years old, the highest rated is K Mandolese at 2.5/2.5. He's 23 years old.

I'm in the 2024 offseason.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
jldante56
Major Leagues

I've created 4 young goalies (between 19 and 21 years old) with between 4.5 and 5.0 potential this offseason. . .made them free agents and will track their progression.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

I'm seeing similar issues with goaltending and made mention of it in the test forum.

Playing a modern sandbox game with all leagues enabled. Let it sim from 2016 through 2028 overnight. Will continue letting it sim until 2050 or so.

Stopped to take a look at the results and noticed that not a single goaltender drafted in the past 10 seasons is currently rated higher than 2 stars. In fact, only 2 or 3 total are actually rated 2 stars. The rest are all rated lower.

Seems to certainly be an issue with game generated goaltenders developing.

Could it maybe have to do with the lack of goaltending talent in the drafts? Looking at the last draft for instance (in 2030 now) and 16 goalies were drafted, with only 3 of them having a potential higher than 2.5 stars.

edit: The next draft (2031): 13 goaltenders selected, only 2 rated 2.5 potential, everyone else rated lower.

I'll keep simulating, but so far it seems to be a bit concerning. Even the rare high potential goalies that are generated into the game world seem to never really improve their current ability. I see a few 3.5 or 4 potential goalies who are as old as 23 now with decent stats, but their current ability is still 0.5 or 1 star.

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester

Last edited by Habsfan18; 12-23-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Took a look in 2033 at the most recent OHL drafts and it looks like essentially every goalie selected (even those in say, the top 10 overall picks) is being generated with really low potential. Could this be part of the problem?

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote