Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:01 AM   #81
Silfir
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsenkow View Post
I can't shop any player, first noticed this during the Winter Meetings.
I've replied to people having this issue in the Bug Reports forum - this issue happened to me when I had no money available for Free Agents. For some reason this causes Shop a Player to instantly return no offers - even for a stud being paid league minimum, who should be good for dozens of trades for other leage minimum players or minor leaguers - and indeed is if you improve your financials via commissioner mode until you're back in the green. It seems that if you have no money to work with Shop a Player instantly assumes you can't afford any trades.

I've been relying on Shop a Player a lot in my GM only game, so I'd appreciate a fix. Maybe this'll be good opportunity to dip my toe into Manager-only.
Silfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #82
pbreen
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsenkow View Post
You have got to be kidding.....
Not kidding. As a steam-user the Patch was forced on me and the game is unplayable and will be for the foreseeable future. I paid for this game, I want to be able to play it. This has happened in the past as well.
pbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #83
wsenkow
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbreen View Post
Not kidding. As a steam-user the Patch was forced on me and the game is unplayable and will be for the foreseeable future. I paid for this game, I want to be able to play it. This has happened in the past as well.
I stand corrected. My mistake for not realizing you were being sarcastic. I totally agree with you and will edit my error. Sorry for this.
wsenkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #84
OOTPinstripes
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbreen View Post
I'm with you. I was really into the game this year, but this debacle has destroyed my interest in it. I'm trying to get back into it, but I don't know if it's gonna happen.
OOTPinstripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #85
RchW
Hall Of Famer

OOTPD is in a no-win situation here. Last version the updates for Steam were behind the direct purchase folks and they got lit up for poor customer service. Now we have real time updates as so many Steam users wanted and it's a bad thing?

I do think Steam could be helpful here by giving their users the option not to update. Have any Steam users complained to Steam about that?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #86
OOTPinstripes
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
OOTPD is in a no-win situation here. Last version the updates for Steam were behind the direct purchase folks and they got lit up for poor customer service. Now we have real time updates as so many Steam users wanted and it's a bad thing?

I do think Steam could be helpful here by giving their users the option not to update. Have any Steam users complained to Steam about that?
I think the real issue is that all users -- Steam and non-Steam alike -- want updates that don't break the game.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #87
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOTPinstripes View Post
I think the real issue is that all users -- Steam and non-Steam alike -- want updates that don't break the game.
I agree but when OOTPD tried to explain delayed updates last year steam posters were not receptive. They insisted that instant updates were a right. They got it. Live with it now.

Why is Steam getting no grief?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #88
OOTPinstripes
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Deleted.

Last edited by OOTPinstripes; 08-15-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #89
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Next Patch ETA?

Any idea how soon the next Patch to make this once wonderful game playable again? Did I miss it, or has this been addressed already? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:20 PM   #90
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

this is the way of these types of products are developed, ootpinstripes. it's very similar to crowd-funded games because their model is not much different. they merely don't pay a % to the crowdfund site and do it in-home. they aren't springing on us anything new. For OotP '18 i am waiting for october, lol. i keep telling myself the same lie each year...

so, this is self-inflicted frustration, if you could know it's a possibility in advance with a modicum of effort. Also, they aren't being devious in any way, shape or form. there is plenty of info available about what happens each year just in these forums.

it's not rational to direct our frustration at them when you step bakc and look at it from a distance. i have done it before i may have even done it in this thread, lol. we all need reminders, though, that it's more or less our own decisiosn that get us to this place.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-14-2016 at 11:24 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:03 AM   #91
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I agree but when OOTPD tried to explain delayed updates last year steam posters were not receptive. They insisted that instant updates were a right. They got it. Live with it now.

Why is Steam getting no grief?
100% I don't use steam, I buy direct and I don't apply patches until the reports on them are that they are good because I have that option.

I understand your frustration and your complaints are valid. That said you do have some options. Buy direct and don't patch right away or complain to steam about the inability to control when you patch. I'd be a 100% with you if the only option to get the game was steam but there are alternatives.

Granted patches that don't cause other problems would be ideal but that isn't how a lot of the software industry works. I worked in the field for a long time and we were always very hesitant to apply patches before they were thoroughly vetted.

Tell steam you want the option to apply/not apply updates or buy direct and keep the control.

Edit: and yes, complain to OOTPD when a bad patch is released. They aren't off the hook, they have a responsibility here, but there are things you can do so that your gaming experience isn't ruined.

Last edited by byzeil; 08-15-2016 at 12:26 AM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:16 AM   #92
OOTPinstripes
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Deleted.

Last edited by OOTPinstripes; 08-15-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:55 AM   #93
edm
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOTPinstripes View Post
The worst possible handling of this incident is you guys saying, basically, this stuff happens and it's no big deal. I would think that someone looking at these forums considering whether to purchase would see responses that basically tell them that when you're dealing with software, the game you could just stop working and that's something that you really should just expect would get them to decide quite quickly not to purchase.
Many of us have been here for years. personally, I've been buying ootp since version 2, and for the most part, the patches and updates have almost always improved the game.

Yeah, what happened last patch sucked, but when they realized there was an issue, they had a fix within a day or two. What more can you expect? And don't say a perfect patch, because then you are living in fantasy land, because no company can guarantee that. No matter how careful a company is, issues will sneak though from time to time.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:04 AM   #94
pbreen
Minors (Rookie Ball)

This definitely is not going to stop me from buying OOTP 18 and loving it, but I can never buy from Steam again. I do not have much free-time to play games, so when I do I want to play something I really love. OOTP has been that game for me, and not being able to play a game I own during my minimal free-time is irritating. OOTPD really is in a no-win situation right now, and I sympathize, but they should go about their process and not listen to the people complaining about fewer updates in previous versions. I would be happy as a clam with only a really large update or two total if they worked properly. I appreciate the game evolving, but that really is what the next iteration of the game is for. I was pleased with OOTP 17 and all of its features, and would have happily waited until OOTP 18 for inflation and other improvements. This is not a minecraft-esk game that is constantly evolving while users play, it is a yearly installment game. All I want is for my favorite game to work properly.

I know OOTPD does a lot of hard work, but I feel like the patches need to be tested more. I truthfully feel like the steam users are the guinea pig beta testers for all of these patches. Some of you have admitted that you do not download the most recent patch until you see what the issues are, and typically those issues are reported by Steam users who do not have the luxury that you do.

I understand that I could just buy direct, but I have not experienced these issues in past iterations via steam so I have never felt the need to. I see that Steam is also to blame, but Steam sucks and we all know it.
pbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #95
OOTPinstripes
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm View Post
Many of us have been here for years. personally, I've been buying ootp since version 2, and for the most part, the patches and updates have almost always improved the game.

Yeah, what happened last patch sucked, but when they realized there was an issue, they had a fix within a day or two. What more can you expect? And don't say a perfect patch, because then you are living in fantasy land, because no company can guarantee that. No matter how careful a company is, issues will sneak though from time to time.
I deleted my posts because I do not have any desire to participate in this debate, and I will do my best to not let your condescending attitude draw me back into it.

I agree that OOTPD has outstanding customer service, and I said as much in my since-deleted posts, although I see you chose not to quote that part.

I really do not expect anything more from the development team in their handling of the incident. I don't even have much to say about the initial incident other than what I've already said about it killing my enthusiasm for the game, which is not a criticism of them but simply -- and quite unfortunately -- the truth.

Like I said, the development team has excellent customer service. My issue is not with them.

My issue is with the community here and its backlash to anyone who does dare to voice a complaint with the patch. The notion that this forum would basically tell paying customers that they have no expectation to expect the product that they paid good money for to work as advertised and correctly is, quite frankly, mind-blowing and insulting. I am sticking up for those people, nothing more and nothing less.

The part that you quoted is an extension of that, as in my opinion, the above notion that you guys are pushing not only insults people who have paid for the game but likely also pushes away any prospective buyers. In my opinion, the best way to handle this is to let the development team demonstrate their outstanding customer service by answering the complaints and addressing the issues, and you guys ridicuiling anyone who voices a complaint, while your intentions are only to defend a great development team, IMO only undermines the development team and their great customer service.

(EDIT: You mentioned that you are a long-time OOTPer, and when I talk about prospective buyers, I am not talking about you. I am talking about people who have not yet purchased any version of the game. They have no experience with the game or the team other than what they read on this board.)

I think you're really trying to help the development team, but I also think that all you're really doing is undermining them. Its their product, and I think the best thing to do is let them handle the complaints as they see fit.

Like I said, my intention is only to stick up for those who are encountering very undeserved and unnecessary backlash for voicing legitimate complaints. I have no complaints of my own and I have no desire to discuss this further.

It's just my two cents. If you really think that the way you handle the complaints is better than the way the development team handles the complaints, then by all means disregard my advice and continue on your way.

Last edited by OOTPinstripes; 08-15-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #96
Silfir
Minors (Double A)

Well, I think bugs are simply a reality of software development, and there's no reason to doubt the commitment of the OOTP team to get software into a bug-free state as early as possible.

I would really like to be able to shop players again, though.
Silfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #97
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
Well, I think bugs are simply a reality of software development, and there's no reason to doubt the commitment of the OOTP team to get software into a bug-free state as early as possible.

As far as I can tell, shop players DOES work

Last edited by PSUColonel; 08-15-2016 at 01:19 PM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #98
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

I'm also now noticing you can't place a player in the starting lineup AND as a backup to another position. (E.g. Starting LF as the backup CF, or starting 2B as a backup SS.)

This worked fine pre-patch.
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #99
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarrett View Post
I'm also now noticing you can't place a player in the starting lineup AND as a backup to another position. (E.g. Starting LF as the backup CF, or starting 2B as a backup SS.)

This worked fine pre-patch.
strange .. i don't know that it's ever been that way in my games .... hmmm , maybe i just didn't notice or never tried it .....
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 08-15-2016 at 02:06 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #100
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfir View Post

Please point to the link where you describe your problem with shopping. Thanks.