Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #21
DCG12
All Star Starter

Location: Traveling through another dimension-not one of only sight and sound,but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundries are those of imagination.
I agree with a lot of what Bru says and glad he dared say it. Doing so can lead to the pitchfork crowd screaming heresy.

I am another long time player (OOTP 4). Being semi-retired I find time to play every day and have a long term fictional league that I play out all the games.

I love some of the work Silvam has done with 3D stadiums but Bru is right it does get old fast and in order to get name labels to line up on the field you have to use the small label option thus losing important info like speed rating. It requires multiple clicks to see it eveytime someone gets on.

For one of the few times ever I turned off a feature (morale) when I couldn't stand the constant unhappiness about everything. I had a star CF who was high contact and speed but low power batting lead off. He bugged me for 2 season to hit in the middle of the order and his morale and that of the team crashed so I finally traded him. A month later I check in to see where he's hitting and there he is batting lead off and happy as a clam. If this is going to be a feature we need a way to "talk" to players and try to reason with them not just trade everyone who is unhappy or not a leader.

While I don't want to start a firestorm with Bru's comment about advantage or disadvantage to human or AI I will say there are times that things don't feel just right and leave it at that.
DCG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #22
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG12 View Post
For one of the few times ever I turned off a feature (morale) when I couldn't stand the constant unhappiness about everything. I had a star CF who was high contact and speed but low power batting lead off. He bugged me for 2 season to hit in the middle of the order and his morale and that of the team crashed so I finally traded him. A month later I check in to see where he's hitting and there he is batting lead off and happy as a clam. If this is going to be a feature we need a way to "talk" to players and try to reason with them not just trade everyone who is unhappy or not a leader.
I'm not big on morale as currently implemented now either. I usually turn it off in my games.

The thing is, I don't see how a feature or two I don't like is grounds for attacking the direction of the game as a whole.

One of the best parts about OOTP is its multitude of customization options. If you don't like how a feature currently works, just mention that in the bugs thread or wherever, and turn it off!

No one's forcing you to turn on every feature. You can pick and choose the ones you like. That's a virtue of the game, not a deficit. This is not FM, where you're stuck with morale issues even if you don't like them. You can pick and choose what features you want to be active in OOTP and that's a great thing.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 06-21-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #23
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucsGo View Post
I haven't reported them yet. It's been happening since day one, I figured patches would correct the problem.

I've gone to autosaving every week at this point lol.

Love the game, but it doesn't seem to like me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Hmm. If you can find the time to report them, it'd be much appreciated.

Crashes are the worst, no one at OOTP wants them happening, but sometimes if things don't get reported, they don't get fixed.

If it isn't happening for anyone on the team, it can slip through the cracks if it's not reported since no one really knows about it.

It's probably something specific with your hardware/setup as you allude to, but maybe there's still something the guys can do to alleviate the issue.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #24
DCG12
All Star Starter

Location: Traveling through another dimension-not one of only sight and sound,but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundries are those of imagination.
Lukas I'm not attacking the game or the direction of the game, I'm only saying that there are some things that have left me not feeling the warm fuzzies with this version. I still play it everyday and as you said I can simply turn the option off which I did. I wish I could play with it on and maybe down the road I will be able too. If we don't say anything then Matt and Markus only see the people giving it all 10's on the review sites.

There are other areas as well that need work like the "team needs" part of trading. If I say I need an average player the AI shouldn't always want my best 5 star player and want me to throw in cash too. I understand not wanting to make it easy to build super teams but some common sense would help.

Last edited by DCG12; 06-21-2016 at 10:51 AM.
DCG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #25
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG12 View Post
Lukas I'm not attacking the game or the direction of the game, I'm only saying that there are some things that have left me not feeling the warm fuzzies with this version. I still play it everyday and as you said I can simply turn the option off which I did. I wish I could play with it on and maybe down the road I will be able too. If we do t say anything that Matt and Markus only see the people giving it all 10's on the review sites.

There are other areas as well that need work like the "team needs" part of trading. If I say I need an average player the AI shouldn't always want my best 5 star player and want me to throw in cash too. I understand not wanting to make it easy to build super teams but some common sense would help.
Sure, makes sense. I totally get that. I actually agree most of with the specific complaints you have, I feel the same way.

I wasn't referring to you with the "attacking the direction of the game" so much as to Bru's post (not that he doesn't still make some interesting points).
Old 06-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #26
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

OOTP17 is the best version I have played (I go back to... 13, I think?)

Having said that, when someone says it adds nothing for Fictional Play, I just shrug. They may be right or they may be wrong... but I find fictional extremely boring and it doesn't effect me at all. The same goes for 3-D.

As long as they keep making the game more and more like running a real team, I am going to keep playing it. I love it.

(Please, please add Negro Leagues and WBC!)

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #27
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Sure, makes sense. I totally get that. I actually agree most of with the specific complaints you have, I feel the same way.

I wasn't referring to you with the "attacking the direction of the game" so much as to Bru's post (not that he doesn't still make some interesting points).
As usual, you state your case well. I want to believe your assurances about "smarter, more cunning AI" being just that, positively done, and not achieved by AI cheats and human penalties.

Still, I've been playing OOTPB a long time and I have never experienced what I did in 17. A suspicion lingers, so I am not going back to 17.

Even so, I remain a fan of OOTPB and I will be here to contribute when and where I can. When 18 comes out, I will purchase it and convert my league from 16 through 17 and into 18.

By that time, my outlook on OOTPB will be refreshed.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #28
swoboda
All Star Starter

My enjoyment level is as high as ever. I like the new features, and as I have written previously, I am now quite impressed with 3D. I believe the Bru-master is giving us his honest feedback, my experience is different, but I never play fictional. I look at the AI with a longer view and it has certainly improved over the past few years.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #29
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Markus had three outstanding advances in this version. The MLB license, the historical minors, and the 3-D parks were all changes of great potential. I don't see the implementation of that potential here, and I'm not sure we should have expected it. It was just too much. All minor league fielders in 1919 should not have the same ratings, the game shouldn't crash in 3-D mode, etc. Other people are having different problems with the new features. I'm still playing my base 1901 replay while waiting for early minor league fielding to be fixed, and we're three months into this version.

Version 16 was a quantum leap forward in the baseball engine. Playing out games got much better from previous versions. Version 17 is more unfulfilled promise than anything else. I hope that the team consolidates and realizes that promise with version 18. In the meantime, this is still a very good game. It's just not quite as good as it has the potential to be.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #30
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
Markus had three outstanding advances in this version. The MLB license, the historical minors, and the 3-D parks were all changes of great potential. I don't see the implementation of that potential here, and I'm not sure we should have expected it. It was just too much. All minor league fielders in 1919 should not have the same ratings, the game shouldn't crash in 3-D mode, etc. Other people are having different problems with the new features. I'm still playing my base 1901 replay while waiting for early minor league fielding to be fixed, and we're three months into this version.

Version 16 was a quantum leap forward in the baseball engine. Playing out games got much better from previous versions. Version 17 is more unfulfilled promise than anything else. I hope that the team consolidates and realizes that promise with version 18. In the meantime, this is still a very good game. It's just not quite as good as it has the potential to be.
I have to agree. I was excited to try out historical minors, but in the end it led to way more frustration than enjoyment. That coupled with the fact that no one really seems to have a real handle on how it's supposed to work made me put it on the shelf for the time being. Great idea though and if it's given the attention it deserves it could be unbelievable.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #31
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if it's just a coincidence, but I've noticed the forums are a lot quieter than usual this year. It usually slows down a few months after release, but this year it seems to have come earlier than normal. I've noticed a lot of the regulars aren't around as much anymore. Could it be that they have similar issues as Bru when it comes to 17? Or am I looking into it too much?

Personally, my only real disappointment with this version (other than the free agency issue which has since been fixed) is the historical minors and the fact it doesn't appear to be fully playable yet (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That being said, I did figure it would take a few versions to get it just right anyways. My brief experiences with it weren't very good. Playing with the dev engine on, I was having a LOT of HOF pitchers and players coming in with low overall potentials. Now I understand that when using the development engine, anything can happen and careers go in many different directions, but I remember guys like Carlos Delgado being a 3-star player with mediocre ratings at the time of his draft. That should simply not be happening because you know right off the bat he's not going to live up to his real life self. It looks like the historical minors player database is a completely separate one from the regular historical one, and most of the MLB players are better representatives of themselves in the old non-minors one. At least that's what it appeared like to me. Tons of HOF pitchers weren't even making it out of A ball in my experience. I understand using the development engine and minors enabled is going to give those kinds of results because we're dealing with young players but it was straying a little too far from real history for my liking. Maybe I'll give it another chance sometime soon.

And I remain a bit disappointed that there remains to be no love for associations or the fact that the WBC still hasn't been added, although it seems that it's asked for by many every year and we're always told "maybe next year." We can't have everything we ask for though and I'm fully aware that coding certain features are likely very very complicated. Maybe next year, for real this time.

Last edited by Habsfan18; 06-21-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:51 PM   #32
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Well Habsfan18 since our Habs didn't even make the playoffs this year I spent a lot of time playing 17. Love the 3D and I play all my games one pitch mode and only make up the lineups and during play I only make substitutions. I am about two months ahead of the real 2016 schedule playing the jays and they are struggling just like their RL counterpart. I resigned EE but Bautista doesn't deserve an extended contract so if I can't trade him (and on my hard settings shopping him around no one wants him) I will just make him a qualifying offer to get a draft choice.

OOTP17 is a blast and the best version yet imo. I have never regretted purchasing any of the versions, got them all since OOTP 1.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:59 PM   #33
curt
Major Leagues

I am a big fan of OOTP. I play daily, two or three games PBP. But I find it very irritating watching my fouled off behind the plate balls still going out over the outfield wall. Still hasn't been fixed.
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #34
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt View Post
I am a big fan of OOTP. I play daily, two or three games PBP. But I find it very irritating watching my fouled off behind the plate balls still going out over the outfield wall. Still hasn't been fixed.
One pitch or pitch by pitch?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #35
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
One pitch or pitch by pitch?
never seen that in one pitch
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #36
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Not sure if it's just a coincidence, but I've noticed the forums are a lot quieter than usual this year. It usually slows down a few months after release, but this year it seems to have come earlier than normal. I've noticed a lot of the regulars aren't around as much anymore. Could it be that they have similar issues as Bru when it comes to 17? Or am I looking into it too much?
Since OOTP has become available on Steam, a lot of posts which would have been made here are probably being made on the OOTP Steam discussion board.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #37
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
never seen that in one pitch
I haven't either, prompting the question. I know, or rather think I know, that Matt hasn't focused on the pitch by pitch yet so much as the short PbP with the one pitch, AFAIK. Thanks, Bus.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:32 PM   #38
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

I too am startled by the severe lack of enthusiasm in the forums. Many of the regulars have gone missing or quiet which signifies to me that ootp17 just lacked that oomph....that extra something. Version 16 was a monumental upgrade in terms of features whereas ootp17 for me is just a little window dressing. I can't point to one feature that really grabs me. That I can't imagine doing without. Yes, the game is great but even greatness gets ho hum after awhile. Ootp17 managed to stay on top without much innovation in 17. Not a bad thing....we are all just spoiled.

It's almost like what madden football does....minor graphical upgrades and no revolutionary changes. OOTP 17 is great but only moderately better than v16.
aslanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #39
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
It looks like the historical minors player database is a completely separate one from the regular historical one, Yes it is but they are both based on pure stats, not ratings Maybe I'll give it another chance sometime soon.
Try it with both development and recalc on.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #40
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

Still enjoying it here. Just started a Trans-Atlantic league and loving it!
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote