Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Historical/Real 59 38.31%
Fictional 95 61.69%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #21
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Do you have data on historical play? i know Markus & Matt have said more people play historical but i have yet to see any data that supports that.
Exactly. Official data on a official sheet not just ball park guesses

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:32 PM   #22
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have seen plenty of great players flop but none of them.
Seaver - 247-147 3.52 2600 K 4 time AS
Elvis as Hank HOF
Greenberg HOF
Clu Haywood as Killebrew. So far 3 time AS ROTY.
Good to hear... thank you for sharing the info.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 05-21-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #23
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
There is a large and noisy fictional community here, but official OOTP usage data shows them to be just a minority, with fictional okay being outnumbered 3 to 1 by modern and historical play.

In other words, this poll will yield no worthwhile data.

lol

you kill me.

ahahahahahaha

I thought I beat you to that noise.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #24
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Howlin' Wolf on deaf ears.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #25
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you have data on historical play? i know Markus & Matt have said more people play historical but i have yet to see any data that supports that.
Well, the man did say this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
By the way, our usage tracker reveals that 65% of of OOTP users play the modern day MLB standard game, 25% fictional, and 10% historical.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...10-post17.html

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:23 AM   #26
Cujomatty
Minors (Single A)

It's probably far better for Markus and co. that most people play modern. I would assume modern means more people are inclined to buy the game every year. They want shiny new up to date rosters.

I know thats how they get me every year. lol
Cujomatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:48 AM   #27
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
lol

you kill me.

ahahahahahaha

I thought I beat you to that noise.
To borrow from Monty Python, this is a silly poll. Real hard data exists.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:55 AM   #28
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

Data is somewhat flawed.

I have no doubt that the data that Markus accumulates from each edition is almost completely accurate. However it is the data that he does not receive that tells, or rather does NOT tell the story. There is an option in Settings to disable the "Send usage data to OOTP Developments". So we do not truly know how many players are actively playing total and how many of those that have disabled that option play which style of major available game types they play.

So while the data that does come in is in fact theoretically correct and accurate (as long as everything came in properly and nothing was lost or corrupted) there is a lot that is missing because of people that shut that option off as people have been trained in society to do this type of thing for privacy/security.

It is hard to truly "know" what the numbers are overall. Markus has to go by official ones he receives. Some people here use polls, and even some others use guesses. In the end, the only number gathering that does matter is the Data Usage sent to Markus by those of us that have the option enabled in Settings. This data helps to drive decisions as to what gets attention to be worked on, created, fixed, etc. in the game for each new version. So it is a good idea to enable the option.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:19 AM   #29
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Fictional all the way!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:54 AM   #30
Cujomatty
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaaemon View Post
I have no doubt that the data that Markus accumulates from each edition is almost completely accurate. However it is the data that he does not receive that tells, or rather does NOT tell the story. There is an option in Settings to disable the "Send usage data to OOTP Developments". So we do not truly know how many players are actively playing total and how many of those that have disabled that option play which style of major available game types they play.

So while the data that does come in is in fact theoretically correct and accurate (as long as everything came in properly and nothing was lost or corrupted) there is a lot that is missing because of people that shut that option off as people have been trained in society to do this type of thing for privacy/security.

It is hard to truly "know" what the numbers are overall. Markus has to go by official ones he receives. Some people here use polls, and even some others use guesses. In the end, the only number gathering that does matter is the Data Usage sent to Markus by those of us that have the option enabled in Settings. This data helps to drive decisions as to what gets attention to be worked on, created, fixed, etc. in the game for each new version. So it is a good idea to enable the option.
Realistically the majority of users probably aren't on these boards or participating in polls.

I totally believe that fictional league guys are a vocal minority. Its the hardcores. The dudes on these boards.

I personally know 5 guys that got this game to gm their favorite team. I was talking about my historical League to them and while they thought it was cool they weren't very interested.
Cujomatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:24 AM   #31
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
No hard data exists on leagues people actually play. It only exists partially on what leagues people start. Most test leagues are run using MLB. This skewers the data.

Wolfie misuses the numbers in a way that would make a Soviet propagandist proud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny P. View Post
Try to rob me at gun point, I'll just kick your ass. No cops needed!
bababui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #32
Anyone
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Good post. You know, there is a way to blend historical and fiction. Basically, I start a historical league but flush out the real players and continue with all fictional ones while letting the league evolve according to real life. I cannot get enough of playing this way!
I'd always been playing purely fictional leagues, and this year I started to kinda sorta blend them (to a point). I already had a mixture of real MLB franchise names/locations with fictional franchises (but only fictional players).

When I decided to expand my league before the season I'm now near the end of, though, I decided that instead of doing it through an expansion draft, I'd import real historical teams for real franchises that didn't exist yet in my league. So my league is still mostly fictional, but there's now at least a bit of a blend.

Quote:
Real hard data exists on what all players who buy the game play. The original post spoke of interest in how "our community" (the people who post on this board) plays. Those are different groups.

If you're just saying the poll doesn't measure how everyone who buys the game plays, that's of course true. But the hard data doesn't measure how those active on this board play, which could also be of interest.

It makes sense that fictional would be more popular among those who post here. On the whole, those who want to go beyond playing the game to also discuss it are likely to be more hard-core players, probably also wanting more creative latitude as fictional leagues allow.

It's no surprise at all that casual players (I'm not in any way denigrating casual players in case it sounds like I am) usually just take the real, current teams, most likely set things up to take control of their favorite real life team, and play from there.

Fictional allows much more creativity, though requires more imagination to immerse oneself, is in many ways more of a challenge because you don't have real life info on the players, and seems like for those reasons it would be more popular among hard-core players and less popular among casual players. People who post here will tend to be more hard-core for reasons I described.

So I both believe the OOTP data that most who buy the game use real life teams and players and this poll's data that suggests most of those active on this board tend to play fictional.

I prefer fictional for the creativity. I can create franchises that don't exist in real life, since the thread on making facegens let me see how easy it was I've made myself and other non-baseball-player real people players in my fictional league, also add fictional baseball players from fictional settings, etc..

And then the vast majority still being players I didn't add manually, I have to learn about them imperfectly through scouts and stats, adding a little haze that makes the game more of a challenge.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #33
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

lol another one of these? fictional all the way.

I do think there is a better way to collect usage data. Rather than basing it off the creation of leagues, which is incredibly flawed, base if off of seasons completed.

Since everyone plays at a different pace, it would be unwise to base the usage stats on time spent. But, seasons completed would be a great indicator of how much one mode is used vs the other.

I also find it amusing that we put so much time into arguing the validity of a certain stat. It's almost like we're baseball guys

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #34
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Monty Python reference gets you a free pass.

Feel free to hoodwink all you want.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #35
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Name:  community_image_1410630804.png
Views: 259
Size:  27.1 KB

Old 05-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #36
pitch62
Minors (Triple A)

Combine both

I combine both fictional and historical, I use the lahman database starting with historical players from 1871 (figuring their stats with the ootp calculator) create them and then insert them in the draft. I look up their stats on Major league Baseball statistics and history and insert their stats in the calculator. Then I transfer the results over to the created historical player. Takes time, but is very satisfying.
pitch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #37
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
so, starting in 2016 is basically a hybrid way to play..

as far as that info says, 2.5 times more people play fictional over historical (25 to 10%) which this poll is nearing in an unscientific way.

he sees it the way he wants to see it. but there are really 3 ways of playing and neither historical nor fictional are the most popular way to play.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #38
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I wish I could have voted for both; I play both regularly switching back and forth when either setup is becoming tedious. As soon as that happens I switch to the other mode and I am immersed again then tedious then repeat.....
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #39
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I'm never completely sure how to vote in these polls. I vote historical because I do use real players, but I usually alter my leagues in ways that they don't completely follow reality. I also play a lot of random debut. My current league is a small 16 team, 2 subleague setup. It features the International Hockey League I grew up with in the 70's early 80's as 1 subleague and the Texas League that existed when I moved south in the mid 80's as the other subleague. 112 game season.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #40
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I started a historical game in 2016 with all the MLB teams but I hit the change players names, deleted league history, set start time 1960 relocated some teams added some, set Real players to appear as rookies randomly. Yes technically I started a historical game but made completely fictional

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote