Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Historical/Real 59 38.31%
Fictional 95 61.69%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Fictional or Historical

I'm just curious it was said the most OOTP players play historical, real league baseball. And smaller percentage plays fictional. I want to see what our community leans toward. Please vote. And if you want to explain why you prefer the type that you play please feel free to do so.

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
catcherjul
Major Leagues

Definitely fictional! I love to create my whole world and set it my way
catcherjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I totally greedy I'm 100% fictional plus one real players don't or form I can do in real life it doesn't affect me

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

i start off historical, add Negro League players, the computer generates some International player discoveries some and once in a while i'll generate a few to fill out a draft - so pretty quickly it ends up a historical fiction, or vice sera ... not sure how that applies in your poll, so i didn't vote.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 05-20-2016 at 04:36 PM.
mitchkenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Only historical.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

The players of Real MLB players outnumber fictional players nearly 3-1. Fictional players shouldn't bother posting on the forums. Real players are better and are smarter human beings than fictional players.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
sol_phenom
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I play both, but I slightly favor historical/real.
sol_phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #8
grmagne
Minors (Triple A)

I voted for Fictional but it was a really tough call. I enjoy immersing myself in the history of baseball and learning all the players through Historical leagues. But I also enjoy creating fictional leagues where I can custom-design all the rules/features, so I voted that way.
grmagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if real players were on the same distribution (roughly) as fictionally created, i'd prefer to start with real players and let it transition. until then, i refuse to do it. i've always preferred real players in all sports games i've every played until now by force... too bad for me.

historical holds no interest for me.. if i did, it would definitely be free-form and a completely new history would result (ie no re-calc). otherwise it would be way to easy for me to win by knowing which players are good, which are not and when they will be good etc. it would bother me that drafts aren't complete and all the other things i read about it... it's simply incomplete in my mind's eye.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #10
BeanballComin
Minors (Double A)

I like historical because it gives one the chance to beat history.
(Dang 1967 WSox .. I've played that as a single-season replay at least 100 times over).
Fictional, however, engulfs the player in a way historical never will.
It's not even close. Real MLB could go bankrupt tomorrow and I wouldn't care because I have my fictional OOTP league.
BeanballComin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

I used to play solely historical, but things use to get boring pretty soon ...

With v16 I got hooked on fictional - selecting cities, nicknames and logos, creating jerseys and caps ... and starting at zero.

In fact, I don't sim any seasons to get a league history, I start with an inaugural draft on day 1 and I love it
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Fictional. Using OOTP to play real MLB is like driving a Ferrari to the end of your driveway to collect your mail.
UNLIMITED COSMIC POWER !!!
Itty bitty living space
OOTP's real beauty is the wonderful world of options it opens up for the user to create any baseball universe one can imagine. There's already a real MLB, anyway, and when I try to play "Real" MLB in OOTP I find that I get my baseball universes confused. I lose track of which teams and which players are performing well or poorly in which universe. I think a lot peoples' hang ups with fictional comes from the unfamiliar names or whatnot. After a couple of seasons though, your fictional players are just as "real" to you as the real players are, or such has been my experience anyway. I started my current fictional league in the year 2000 on OOTP15 and I've carried it over to 16. I sim one day at a time and I'm currently in 2013. I've dabbled in a few other things but always come back to that league.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #13
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Historical/Fictional.
EBL vs MLB is a recreation of a previous league left off in 2036 on High Heat. After 2036 it will be fictional.
My ABF league has real players in it and right now i am just simming the history til 2000 using MLB as my base.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #14
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I play with fictional players... you have no expectations from them... thus, you are never disappointed in them.

With real players, some of the greats do not do well in the game... for instance in my All-Time All-Star Association dynasty, Tom Seaver went 7-22 with a 5.02 ERA... Hank Aaron hit .250 and was a second stringer most of the time... Hank Greenberg batted a poor .234... Willie Mays was just a mediocre batter, posting a .250 BA with 15 homers...and Harmon Killebrew never could play regularly... he just couldn't hit for any kind of average.

I just couldn't accept their poor performances... so I switched to fictional leagues many versions ago.

It might be better now with OOTP17, but I don't think I will try it using historicals... I really like fictionals.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 05-20-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #15
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

While trying historical does hold some charm, it does not hold the same appeal to me that fictional and fictional stats only do, not even close. That is not to say that I would never try historical, I just have not had nor taken the time to do so up to this point, but I plan to. I do enjoy reading about any and all types, styles, ideas and variations that people report on here in the forums. I do not believe there is only ONE RIGHT WAY TO PLAY. The beauty that is OOTP, and has been pointed out time and again, is that "It's your game, play it your way!" . This really should be the official game and/or company phrase as it pertains to their way of thinking I believe.

I could go on and on about what I like about the different styles of play that I enjoy and why. I could even go into why I intend to eventually try each and every way to play that is available to me in the game, but that is for another time. I love to learn and discover. For a long time I had no idea what stats only was until I read a post on it then researched it and tried it and found that I really enjoyed it. It is something so different and much more challenging than the base game. I do see people judge it without trying it, and that is a shame. We all love this game we play, why not give historical a chance if you are a modern player. Or try fictional if you play historical. Or for that challenge give stats only a go, you might be surprised. If you try them and any are not for you, at least you gave them a chance and potentially discovered parts of the game you had no idea existed.

Honestly, what do you have to lose?

Last edited by Palaaemon; 05-20-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Palaaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #16
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcherjul View Post
Definitely fictional! I love to create my whole world and set it my way
Not only that, but I do NOT want to know how things (roughly) turn out in advance!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
There is a large and noisy fictional community here, but official OOTP usage data shows them to be just a minority, with fictional okay being outnumbered 3 to 1 by modern and historical play.

In other words, this poll will yield no worthwhile data.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #18
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaaemon View Post
While trying historical does hold some charm, it does not hold the same appeal to me that fictional and fictional stats only do, not even close. That is not to say that I would never try historical, I just have not had nor taken the time to do so up to this point, but I plan to. I do enjoy reading about any and all types, styles, ideas and variations that people report on here in the forums. I do not believe there is only ONE RIGHT WAY TO PLAY. The beauty that is OOTP, and has been pointed out time and again, is that "It's your game, play it your way!" . This really should be the official game and/or company phrase as it pertains to their way of thinking I believe.

I could go on and on about what I like about the different styles of play that I enjoy and why. I could even go into why I intend to eventually try each and every way to play that is available to me in the game, but that is for another time. I love to learn and discover. For a long time I had no idea what stats only was until I read a post on it then researched it and tried it and found that I really enjoyed it. It is something so different and much more challenging than the base game. I do see people judge it without trying it, and that is a shame. We all love this game we play, why not give historical a chance if you are a modern player. Or try fictional if you play historical. Or for that challenge give stats only a go, you might be surprised. If you try them and any are not for you, at least you gave them a chance and potentially discovered parts of the game you had no idea existed.

Honestly, what do you have to lose?
Good post. You know, there is a way to blend historical and fiction. Basically, I start a historical league but flush out the real players and continue with all fictional ones while letting the league evolve according to real life. I cannot get enough of playing this way!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #19
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
I play with fictional players... you have no expectations from them... thus, you are never disappointed in them.

With real players, some of the greats do not do well in the game... for instance in my All-Time All-Star Association dynasty, Tom Seaver went 7-22 with a 5.02 ERA... Hank Aaron hit .250 and was a second stringer most of the time... Hank Greenberg batted a poor .234... Willie Mays was just a mediocre batter, posting a .250 BA with 15 homers...and Harmon Killebrew never could play regularly... he just couldn't hit for any kind of average.

I just couldn't accept their poor performances... so I switched to fictional leagues many versions ago.

It might be better now with OOTP17, but I don't think I will try it using historicals... I really like fictionals.
I have seen plenty of great players flop but none of them.
Seaver - 247-147 3.52 2600 K 4 time AS
Elvis as Hank HOF
Greenberg HOF
Clu Haywood as Killebrew. So far 3 time AS ROTY.

"Stay Strong"

Old 05-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #20
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
There is a large and noisy fictional community here, but official OOTP usage data shows them to be just a minority, with fictional okay being outnumbered 3 to 1 by modern and historical play.

In other words, this poll will yield no worthwhile data.
Do you have data on historical play? i know Markus & Matt have said more people play historical but i have yet to see any data that supports that.

"Stay Strong"