Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #41
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Malicious tumors. Read the truth about it in the article in my sig.
I was being sarcastic. But i wonder, if I put a link in my signature to an article about Chuck Barris being a CIA assassin, would it be true?
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #42
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammercraft View Post
I was being sarcastic. But i wonder, if I put a link in my signature to an article about Chuck Barris being a CIA assassin, would it be true?
If the source was a well-researched effort by a university faculty member, then probably yes.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:27 PM   #43
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
Malicious tumors. Read the truth about it in the article in my sig.
A good read

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:24 AM   #44
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

Quote:
If the source was a well-researched effort by a university faculty member, then probably yes.
Jack Weatherford is a professor of anthropology at Macalaster College. He's very knowledgeable about Mongolia and wrote a nice book (Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World) about how history is unfair to Genghis Khan, and he was actually a visionary leader who created advancements in technology, trade, and the exchange of ideas. It's a fine work, but it doesn't change my opinion that Genghis Khan was a brutal conqueror who killed thousands of people.

Your link is thought provoking, but it does not change my opinion of Ty Cobb at all.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:30 AM   #45
Number4
Major Leagues

Quote:
Jack Weatherford is a professor of anthropology at Macalaster College. He's very knowledgeable about Mongolia and wrote a nice book (Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World) about how history is unfair to Genghis Khan, and he was actually a visionary leader who created advancements in technology, trade, and the exchange of ideas. It's a fine work, but it doesn't change my opinion that Genghis Khan was a brutal conqueror who killed thousands of people.

Your link is thought provoking, but it does not change my opinion of Ty Cobb at all.
Can't Genghis Khan be both? Life isn't always black and white, and two on the surface differing opinions can actually both be true, describing different aspects of the same human being.
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:53 AM   #46
msupoke
All Star Reserve

So Cobb is both a good guy and a racist jerk?
msupoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:15 AM   #47
Number4
Major Leagues

Calling Cobb a good guy would be quite a stretch, but a racist jerk? You cannot apply morals out of the 21st century to the beginning of the 20th, and even then, Cobb was known to play mind games and enrage opponents. I makes sense (not that I condone it) to use racist language to achieve that goal.

I think Cobb was a jerk, but labeling him as a racist is wrong, as he was living during a time where racism was common. So even if he back then was racist, you should judge it by the standards of the time - and after his playing career, he became quite progressive. So there are many things you can criticise Cobb for, but racism shouldn't be on the list.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:31 AM   #48
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
So there are many things you can criticise Cobb for, but racism shouldn't be on the list
That sounds like a fair middle ground tbh
Old 05-15-2016, 02:01 AM   #49
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If obvious truth can't change your mind when it's been filled with obvious lies then there's nothing to do but feel sorry for you and move on.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #50
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

Quote:
If obvious truth can't change your mind when it's been filled with obvious lies then there's nothing to do but feel sorry for you and move on.
It's not obvious truth. There are university professors that believe the holocaust never happened, the moon landing was fake, vaccinations cause autism, the earth is hollow. You are entitled to what you believe, but I am not required to be convinced.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #51
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's not obvious truth. There are university professors that believe the holocaust never happened, the moon landing was fake, vaccinations cause autism, the earth is hollow. You are entitled to what you believe, but I am not required to be convinced.
Except that he makes his case: he establishes why the false rumors were made up and by who and for what reason, and he presents proof that they were BS.

Your failure to be convinced makes you one with the "holocaust never happened, the moon landing was fake, vaccinations cause autism, the earth is hollow" believers, because in the end it's all about whether you choose to believe actual evidence or made-up nonsense and you picked the wrong horse.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #52
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Moon landing was wake tho at least the first one

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #53
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

More strong evidence, different source:

How Ty Cobb was framed as a racist | New York Post

Old 05-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #54
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Except that he makes his case: he establishes why the false rumors were made up and by who and for what reason, and he presents proof that they were BS.

Your failure to be convinced makes you one with the "holocaust never happened, the moon landing was fake, vaccinations cause autism, the earth is hollow" believers, because in the end it's all about whether you choose to believe actual evidence or made-up nonsense and you picked the wrong horse.
I'm trying to be nice about this. You'll notice that I don't use personal insults. I'm not arguing that Cobb was a racist. I'm arguing that Cobb was a jerk and nobody liked him. Nobody gets into that many fights with ordinary people without being an instigator. The actual details may vary, and embellishments occur over time in either direction, but my knowledge of human nature tells me that this guy was an annoying person who was comfortable with violence. I don't care what some latter-day academic blowhard thinks about a few pieces history he's interpreted to support his controversial theory. Read the record at the time, talk to the people who knew him.

And frankly, Ty Cobb as a man doesn't deserve anything other than what we remember him as, which is one of the best baseball players ever, and a jerk. History doesn't owe him a damn thing. He built his own reputation, he can endure it in death. And this wouldn't even be a conversation if you were as fair to Belle as you are completely forgiving of Cobb. It's not even the subject, it's the hypocrisy that's noteworthy (and amusing).

Last edited by Hammercraft; 05-15-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #55
Art99
Minors (Triple A)

When John Conery turns 35 in 2024 he will reinvent himself and run for president !
Art99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #56
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Hypocrisy? Do you even know what the word means? Cobb has been accused of things he never did, while the things that Belle actually did, with eyewitness and video data, have been listed. Apples and oranges: Belle is actually guilty of all of those bad things, which is why he is the worst person ever.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:49 PM   #57
Number4
Major Leagues

Wow. The worst person ever? Not Hitler, Stalin, or the guy responsible for spam emails?
Old 05-16-2016, 12:02 AM   #58
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Wow. The worst person ever? Not Hitler, Stalin, or the guy responsible for spam emails?
No hyperbole or overstatements involved at all here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:21 AM   #59
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In baseball, silly.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #60
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In baseball, silly.
Yes, specifically in my baseball universe where most everybody else is a lamby-pie.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote