Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #61
One Dog
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
is that from your OS or the game?

stab in the dark, if the OS: when HD start to fail, a file copy, or download, can look as if it is complete, but it's actually still writing from RAM in the background in a very slow way (pio mode). if it isn't over 30k hours of use, it likely is NOT this problem. the system will not be able to use that file correctly while it finishes writing the file at 2mb/s or likely even a slower speed. (personal experience, too)

d/l crystal diskinfo if curious. it will tell you if any drives have a health problem. it's free, if not freeware. great for keeping tabs on SSD, too.
Thanks so much. That was it....
One Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #62
One Dog
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Rosters

Is there any difference between Majors and 2016 MLB roster-wise when beginning a Quickstart game?
Old 04-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #63
BaseballBeast
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Dog View Post
Is there any difference between Majors and 2016 MLB roster-wise when beginning a Quickstart game?
MLB QS is strictly the MLB while Majors QS includes all international leagues, and independent leagues, along with the MLB
BaseballBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:27 AM   #64
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks so much. That was it....
replace that drive immediately.... transfer anythign off that is important ASAP.

if it's the OS drive, install anew on your new drive, then select the os from that drive to boot...

it should be able to easily move stuff from that point without system hangs... but it will be very slow X-fer rates.

your os probably looks ok, but it hanges occasionally on a HDD in pio mode. boot time probably 2X as long too. best to use OS from another drive to do the transfers. who knows what it could screw up if you have a uncorrectable sector in the wrong system file.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-06-2016 at 04:36 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:34 AM   #65
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewelar View Post
I had no trouble with the download, which took perhaps 30 seconds. However, I continue to have trouble with the installer, as I have with all the OOTP 17 releases. The installation took about half an hour to complete, and it totally locked up my PC (running Windows 7) to the point that I couldn't even bring up Explorer or Task Manager even with everything else closed. This didn't happen with v16 -- did something change, or is my system just that crappy?
if your computer is < 5 years old, i doubt it... unless it was a $200-type computer 5 years ago.

get spybot search and destroy - i prefer the older 1.6.5.2 version, but it's more difficult to use... way less bloat i bet, same libraries.

ontop of looking for spyware, check out "Start up" in advnaced mode and i thin Tools? somewhere in the menu system on left, lol.

look for useless crap loading up with windows. uncheck boxes and/or remove them completely. this will show more info than typing "msconfig" into Run.

review processes... type "services.msc" read through them.. leave windows stuff alone... look for any 3rd part software entries... disable them.

google some sites that suggest what to turn off... always use the safest option... in other words more left on. don't do a bare bones selection. some guy has 3-5 categories to choose from and explains stuff one by one. it should be near the top of a search with the right keywords.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #66
mvm04
Minors (Single A)

Anyone else playing 3D on a Mac now having the game crash during play after it had been fixed in last patch?!?!
mvm04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #67
dewelar
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
if your computer is < 5 years old, i doubt it... unless it was a $200-type computer 5 years ago.
Hmmm...well, admittedly I did buy this in October 2011, so that may be it. I don't have this problem with any of my other memory-hog programs (MS Access, Media Monkey) or with the game itself, though, even running a bunch of them at the same time -- I typically have a couple Access databases, several Excel spreadsheets, Media Monkey, Chrome, Thunderbird and a couple other programs open along with OOTP with no problems. It's just the ootp17setup.exe that causes issues.

Quote:
get spybot search and destroy - i prefer the older 1.6.5.2 version, but it's more difficult to use... way less bloat i bet, same libraries.
*nods* I'll try that. I ran Malwarebytes fairly recently and didn't find anything, but it's always good to get a second opinion .

Quote:
ontop of looking for spyware, check out "Start up" in advnaced mode and i thin Tools? somewhere in the menu system on left, lol.

look for useless crap loading up with windows. uncheck boxes and/or remove them completely. this will show more info than typing "msconfig" into Run.
Not sure what you mean. I'm running Win7 in old-school desktop mode, so maybe it works differently?

Quote:
review processes... type "services.msc" read through them.. leave windows stuff alone... look for any 3rd part software entries... disable them.

google some sites that suggest what to turn off... always use the safest option... in other words more left on. don't do a bare bones selection. some guy has 3-5 categories to choose from and explains stuff one by one. it should be near the top of a search with the right keywords.
Yeah, I do this bit fairly regularly (g*dd*mn Adobe), but I'll check it again. We'll see if this has any effect on the next install.

Last edited by dewelar; 04-06-2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Tags
dewelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #68
Tunnelrunner
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvm04 View Post
Anyone else playing 3D on a Mac now having the game crash during play after it had been fixed in last patch?!?!
Mac user here. I have to be honest...after the patch update I haven't had the nerve to try another game in 3D. I lost some games previously because of that and I restarted another new season (Broadcast View only) and I'm so used to Broadcast View now that I just don't want to chance playing 8 innings in 3D View only to have it crash and lose all my progress (and have to start the whole game over again). After seeing your post, I'm glad I stayed with Broadcast View.

Maybe Broadcast View isn't as pretty as 3D View, but the play by play and crowd reactions have anyway always been more in sync/real time and I like seeing all the player info/positions on screen, etc. The view is more informative.
Tunnelrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #69
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmmm...well, admittedly I did buy this in October 2011, so that may be it.

I don't have this problem with any of my other memory-hog programs (MS Access, Media Monkey) or with the game itself, though, even running a bunch of them at the same time -- I typically have a couple Access databases, several Excel spreadsheets, Media Monkey, Chrome, Thunderbird and a couple other programs open along with OOTP with no problems. It's just the ootp17setup.exe that causes issues.

*nods* I'll try that. I ran Malwarebytes fairly recently and didn't find anything, but it's always good to get a second opinion .

Not sure what you mean. I'm running Win7 in old-school desktop mode, so maybe it works differently?

Yeah, I do this bit fairly regularly (g*dd*mn Adobe), but I'll check it again. We'll see if this has any effect on the next install.
well, i doubt it's your pc... mine is from 2011 too... it was ~900 range that i pieced together... (excluding blu-ray writer cost... worst decision ever lol). a no-frills, small world only takes 2.5-3 mins to sim a year. this game is not resource intensive.

Run spybot as admin and in "Advanced Mode"... the default settings will be some "easy mode" and won't give access to the system tool i mentioned. on the left side of the spybot window is a menu of various things... think startup stuff is under "system tools" you only see this in advanced mode (should be a "advanced mode" icon in start menu folder, and if already loaded you can click the option in the file menus at the top of the screen... close/re-load spybot after setting it to advanced mode.

if you ran malwarebytes.. don't worry too much about the spybot scan. maybe just run it when you walk away fro the PC.

DO use spybot's advanced tools to look at startup applications (loads on boot up).

i'd lock the "host" file too while in there.

OH, i do know some WIN 7 have a major problem with "Sleep" mode... when it wakes up one of your cpu cores will be running at 100% load... lol good job microsoft... years later still a problem. not on all systems, though.

so, make sure that's not what is happending. i believe hibernate works better? i just turn that crap off, lol. (CoreTemp is a program that can give you feedback, or use resource monitor if it separates load% per core in feedback.

click Run in the startmenu (same since win98 i think). then type "msconfig" and "services.msc"

the msconfig will not show as much info as spybot about programs that boot with windows. spybot's changes are more permanent sometimes too... if you delete an entry in spybot and it comes back... next time just uncheck the box.

services.msc will give some good descriptions of background services you don't see.... look for something not made by microsoft that is enabled... read up on it, google it, turn it off if not needed.

heck, even create an inbound/outbound firewall rule for ootp17.exe... block it. companies don't deserve unfettered access just because you buy there stuf -- NOT that ootp is devious in anyway, but some of them are... if you can tell who they are, let us all know how :P

Last edited by NoOne; 04-06-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #70
One Dog
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quick F/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballBeast View Post
MLB QS is strictly the MLB while Majors QS includes all international leagues, and independent leagues, along with the MLB
Thank you. One followup: Is there any practical difference between Majors QS and a New Standard Game if you enable all leagues in your standard game? In other words, if I were to turn off all leagues outside of the western hemisphere, would they still produce players to feed into the MLB in the standard game? Would I have access to players like Matt Murton, who played there last year? I guess it's not really clear to me what the difference between the Standard Games and Quickstars is.

Appreciate the help.

Last edited by One Dog; 04-06-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 AM   #71
dewelar
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Run spybot as admin and in "Advanced Mode"...
Found it. I looked things over and unchecked a few items that I thought I'd deleted already. Nothing too weird, though -- mostly programs I'd uninstalled but weren't totally gone.

Quote:
a no-frills, small world only takes 2.5-3 mins to sim a year. this game is not resource intensive.
Yeah, I have no problems running the game -- if anything, I have fewer problems in that regard than with v16 -- just installing it. Also, the problem goes away entirely as soon as the installation is done, which is why I pegged the problem to it at the time.

Quote:
i'd lock the "host" file too while in there.
I did not see this, though. Where is this and what does it do?

Quote:
OH, i do know some WIN 7 have a major problem with "Sleep" mode... when it wakes up one of your cpu cores will be running at 100% load... lol good job microsoft... years later still a problem. not on all systems, though.
Ah! I'd wondered about this for a while, but never enough to go searching for an answer, since it usually went away quickly. Thanks for the info! However, I don't think this applies, since (at least this time) I had been using the PC for a couple hours (and shut everything else down) before installing.

Anyway, I've now made a number of tweaks, and we'll see how things go when the next update rolls around! Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2016, 02:12 AM   #72
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thank you. One followup: Is there any practical difference between Majors QS and a New Standard Game if you enable all leagues in your standard game? In other words, if I were to turn off all leagues outside of the western hemisphere, would they still produce players to feed into the MLB in the standard game? Would I have access to players like Matt Murton, who played there last year? I guess it's not really clear to me what the difference between the Standard Games and Quickstars is.
If you want Matt Murton and similar players, the best option is to create a full standard game in commissioner mode, then mass retire non-North-American players from the international/independent leagues, then delete the actual leagues. It's still a fairly complex effort for a newbie, so I'll upload a quickstart shortly.

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zy....5_Altered.rar

Last edited by bwburke94; 04-07-2016 at 03:09 AM.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #73
Frostcrest
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I am attempting to update. I am in somewhat of an odd situation. I have the standalone version that I got for preordering, as well as the Steam version. My girlfriend spilled coffee on my laptop which had the standalone version on it, frying the laptop.

I have connection issues with Steam that started on March 24th, but I still have the original OOTP 17 from launch day. I realize the connection issues are not OOTP's fault in any way, but is there a way to install these updates manually to my steam copy since I cannot get to the standalone version on my fried laptop? I'm seeing a very annoying bug that causes my game to freeze when I auto-play and I'd love to update.
Frostcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #74
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did not see this, though. Where is this and what does it do?
this is all about the spybot question, not much about your prob... hope things are working now.

go to "Tools" in the left pane and a list should appear in the main window pane. check "ie tweaks" - that new option now available in Tools will allow you to lock your host file. basically it's a large list of known attack urls that are up to no good and also makes it more difficult for another attack site to edit this list (see example in next paragraph). minor help, but passive so it isn't slowing your pc at all.

e.g. you, or some malicious softwawre, can create a line in host file that causes Google to actually point somewhere else, like 127.0.0.1 (local file that it injected or some alternate place on internet etc etc. never anything good, obviously.)

I'd check "activex" "BHO's", browser pages, ie tweaks, and system startup... delete ALL bho's no matter what... unless for work or very unlikely a financial institution. (turn off bho in win internet options too, aka "third-party software (BHOs)". same idea with active x controls... generally never needed and just a major security risk. i'd change all "browser" pages to "about:blank", unless it is pointing ot the home page you actually use.

system internals will have a registry cleaner - very basic.. worst it will do is delete some icons on desktop if not careful. not like most reg cleaners that make you paranoid about breaking it. reg cleaners are overrated... not much benefit, typically.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #75
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostcrest View Post
I am attempting to update. I am in somewhat of an odd situation. I have the standalone version that I got for preordering, as well as the Steam version. My girlfriend spilled coffee on my laptop which had the standalone version on it, frying the laptop.
pretty sure you have to deal with steam directly...

i'll hypothetically admit that in a similar past experience with a different software that i have paid for, i was willing to persue 'alternative' means of procurement.... run with that as you will, i say no more.

personal note, based in nonfact and emotion - steam is the devil.

i found religion because of steam... no not really.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #76
maximus33
Minors (Double A)

maximus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #77
dewelar
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
this is all about the spybot question, not much about your prob...
Ah, gotcha. I'll file that away for future reference, then .

Quote:
hope things are working now.
We'll see when the next program update comes out.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:56 AM   #78
One Dog
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
If you want Matt Murton and similar players, the best option is to create a full standard game in commissioner mode, then mass retire non-North-American players from the international/independent leagues, then delete the actual leagues. It's still a fairly complex effort for a newbie, so I'll upload a quickstart shortly.

EDIT: 17.5 Altered

Thank you so, so much.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #79
zigyzig
Minors (Double A)

I'm still waiting for OOTP 17 Update #2, Version 17.5.43 via the Mac App Store...
zigyzig is offline   Reply With Quote