Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Question about retired players becoming coaches

Does this happen automatically or is it something you must do manually? If you have to do it manually, I really don't see the point since the AI does not have the same capability to do this. I'm hoping certain players "decide" they want to coach.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
Harry_BallSack
Minors (Triple A)

Location: Was NJ, Then FL, Then IL, Then VA, Now Natick, MA !
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Does this happen automatically or is it something you must do manually? If you have to do it manually, I really don't see the point since the AI does not have the same capability to do this. I'm hoping certain players "decide" they want to coach.
Ha long time since the CBL old PSUColonel!

--acgamblers
Playing Sim ball since Microleague Baseball on my C64 in Highschool, Then Front Page Sports (some Earl Weaver on the Amiga in there as well) and finally made the shift to OOTP around version 2. Been here ever since

The Original Atlantic City Gambler and Daytona Beach Fatboy Owner.
Harry_BallSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

i believe it needs to be done manually. at least, i've had to do it that way in my historical games.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Ron.
Minors (Double A)

It happens automatically. You can also turn a retired player into a coach in commissioner mode.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
monkeystyxx
Minors (Triple A)

Definitely happens automatically. Not to EVERY player, obviously. I'm not sure if it randomly decides who becomes a coach, but it definitely happens automatically to those that do.
monkeystyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
dcd111
Minors (Double A)

Definitely happens automatically, and this was also true in version 16 (not sure about 15, I didn't play that one). When checking a coach's profile page, there will be the option to "View former Player Profile" up near "Available Actions" if he is a former player. And I see this a lot, it feels like half of them at least but I haven't done any rigorous checking, and I've never manually converted one. So it must be automatic, and fairly common at that.

Small sample size and all, but I just randomly checked 10 profiles for managers and coaches in the "Available Personnel" pool, and 8 of them are former players.

I wish there was more fanfare about this sometimes, I'd love to be alerted when former players of mine or famous players become coaches, but I don't know how the game would make that distinction without it turning into a spam-fest.
dcd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Definitely automatically, though I have not been able to figure out what traits in a player lead to his becoming a coach. By the time you have around 30 years of history in your league, all coaches and gms will be former players.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Sometimes they become scouts, too. When my head scout retired I hired a new guy. Didn't even notice until about two years later that he was a former player.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

I've noticed it happens less often in historical & MLB games. In my fictional game there is a crap-ton of former players who are now coaches and managers. One even became an owner I was surprised to see.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
Assos
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
I've noticed it happens less often in historical & MLB games. In my fictional game there is a crap-ton of former players who are now coaches and managers. One even became an owner I was surprised to see.
Sometimes fiction is stranger than fiction!

Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #11
Rockfan616
Minors (Triple A)

I do this with certain players, I'll turn them into hitting coaches and pitching coaches usually for minor league teams. Sometimes I'll take a guy who's been either one of those or a bench coach for many years and turn them into a manager too.
Rockfan616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #12
jncca1215
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I turn leaders into coaches.
jncca1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #13
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

It's done automatically by the game. I believe it's currently pretty much random. It's a feature I feel that hasn't gotten more love though through community feedback we did get the odds increased significantly of a player becoming a coach.

Maybe we can get a more realistic system in a future version.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #14
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Whats weird though is that Al Lopez & Leo Durocher after being retired for several years never become MGRs in my league. I turned them into MGRS yet neither one has managed a ML team. I have a guy in my ABF that pitched in 1 game without recording an out and he is among the best MGRS of all time in my league.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
Assos
All Star Starter

The game does not know names, only traits and numbers! *in a big booming voice*
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #16
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assos View Post
The game does not know names, only traits and numbers! *in a big booming voice*
Yeah. I agree it should be more intuitive. My feeling is that there is a pretty comprehensive list of coaches at retrosheet and they could be noted in the database to become a coach when they retire.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #17
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
Yeah. I agree it should be more intuitive. My feeling is that there is a pretty comprehensive list of coaches at retrosheet and they could be noted in the database to become a coach when they retire.
no matter the facade, it's still just numbers

not related to reply:

they seemed to become coaches/scouts quite often in ootp16. definitely noticed the rate increase as someone mentioned.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote