Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #41
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

We do have some BB and K data on Josh Gibson. Fact checked. None for Donald Trump though. I didn't really check this second one. No need.

You are not buying it and we are not selling it to you anyway because your wooden ship has sailed and it has no outlets (nor bathrooms). Let us know when you go over the edge. In the meantime I'll eat cake.

Joe:
BTW the Hysterical AlGoreRhythms come up 762 and 0 using the example you gave earlier. I'll let you ponder which number is yours.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #42
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

I gotta say I love these types of discussions. Makes me think about things in ways I might have not before. I does agitate my couch squid though.
Attached Images
Old 03-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #43
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
We do have some BB and K data on Josh Gibson. Fact checked. None for Donald Trump though. I didn't really check this second one. No need.

Mr. Spritze: A question.

when you get the NL data up and available, is it going to be a database we can download and then import the players in appropriate years, or will it be as a mod or a minor league?

if a mod, is there anyway to import the players into the database of the main game?

Anyway, thanks for all your work. lots of us appreciate it.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #44
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
Mr. Spritze: A question.

when you get the NL data up and available, is it going to be a database we can download and then import the players in appropriate years, or will it be as a mod or a minor league? To be determined

if a mod, is there anyway to import the players into the database of the main game? YES there will be

Anyway, thanks for all your work. lots of us appreciate it.
You are welcome
Old 03-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #45
Motorhead667
All Star Reserve

Spritze and Bigrod thank you so much for your time and effort.

Last edited by Motorhead667; 03-07-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Motorhead667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #46
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Offensive? Really? Offensive? Not merely something with which you respectfully, or even vehemently, disagree? But offensive?

You must really be fun at parties.
You like to buy products that say that they are one thing but discover later are really another? I don't. It offends me.

And I'm a lot of fun at parties. I get invited to at least one a week. You shouldn't insult people because they disagree with you.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #47
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
you're partially right. There is no K data, but there is walk data.

Josh Gibson - Seamheads.com Negro Leagues Database Powered by The Baseball Gauge
Josh Gibson Register Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

maybe it's not enough for everyone. But in the universe i play the game, it's OK because even with mostly "real" players and stats, it's still a fictional experience. i fully understand your position on this. it just may not apply to the way other people might play their games. It is after all, a game. Have a good day and i DO understand/appreciate your position. it's just not mine.
Ditto. I disagree with you, but I don't doubt that you're fun at parties.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #48
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You like to buy products that say that they are one thing but discover later are really another? I don't. It offends me.
I doubt this applies in this case. Pretty sure you of all people know what you're getting when you purchase OOTP... I mean, you're criticizing something that has not yet been introduced so it is impossible for you to have bought the product and found out later that you have bought another. And I don't think - based upon the amount of substantive info included in this thread alone - that lack of transparency is an issue as it applies to future negro league players in OOTP. So any "offense" taken would be pretty unreasonable and petty, as far as reasonableness and pettiness goes...

Regardless, your indignation is badly misdirected, IMO, towards those who are doing the work to provide something that many want, and that you are free to not introduce into your game.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #49
andrewv500
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Now you can make up numbers, but at that point you have a fictional league.
It seems this is the heart of the issue. I myself would totally welcome the game adding the ability to select a negro league for use, and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the game considered it to be a fictional league as opposed to historical.

Or even to include negro league players in the player pool in the way some people want the history of MLB/team history/league values but want randomness in who plays where. That would interest me greatly. And to Wolf's point most here would call that a fictional historical league.

I do understand the reticence though I think some of language is a little overheated. If these league/players ever were to be included the inability to produce highly accurate ratings like MLB could certainly be stated out front in the days and weeks prior to release, if not in the very first statement Markus makes upon each new version. And since it would only ever be an opt-in option I don't believe anyone could rightfully claim that they were buying an offensive product.

It is always fascinating to see how intense these conversations become. It certainly is a sign of a great appreciation for this game. And yet they frequently hover around one poster. So as to the Wolf, I've been here far longer than I've been registered and while his tone can be very difficult to accept, I have no doubt he is not dealing in personal attacks when disagreeing - even though it may feel like that! And he doesn't ever back down, or seemingly back off. That said, he does provide a lot of value to these forums in his own unique and different ways. I recommend taking a deep breath and just try to respond to the merits of what he said.

But really, there's got to be a way to make it easy for people to have this option. Maybe the community needs to come up with an add-on
andrewv500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #50
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

As long as Wolf does not disavow the existence of couch squid it's all good with me. I'll just keep on keeping on.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #51
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewv500 View Post
But really, there's got to be a way to make it easy for people to have this option. Maybe the community needs to come up with an add-on
Another thing to keep in mind is that as far as OOTP goes, none of this even exists yet. We are all arguing about a ghost. It is fun but pointless.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #52
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
As long as Wolf does not disavow the existence of couch squid it's all good with me. I'll just keep on keeping on.
I've seen them, so you're good.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #53
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Old 03-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #54
tysnkole6
Major Leagues

A Negro Leagues mod would be awesome. A few years back, I was in Independence, MO walking through the mall, and they had a sports store closing. Went in just to browse, ended up walking out with a Jackie Robinson Monarchs jersey. Putting that bad boy in a shadow box frame with some other memorabilia, like an old school glove from that era and an oversized print of a baseball card of his. I'll def post a picture when it's all complete. Going in my man cave.
tysnkole6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #55
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysnkole6 View Post
A Negro Leagues mod would be awesome...
I agree. Rating players from any of the Negro Leagues can't be more difficult than rating players from the end of the 19th century or early 20th century.

Those who aren't interested in such a mod, and those who mistakenly believe there are not enough data to even try to create such a mod, don't have to play it.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs

Last edited by Antonin; 03-08-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #56
Motorhead667
All Star Reserve

I'm stoked, I sure hope they can come up with something, this will be huge
Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #57
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead667 View Post
I'm stoked, I sure hope they can come up with something, this will be huge
We will one way or another..and for all the BS about whether it will be fictional or real...You're all wrong...
It'll be semi real or semi fictional. Call it either one and everyone will be right as some of the data is real and some not.
Bottom line is, it will be as good as humanly possible cause that's just the way we operate, like it or not.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #58
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
We will one way or another..and for all the BS about whether it will be fictional or real...You're all wrong...
It'll be semi real or semi fictional. Call it either one and everyone will be right as some of the data is real and some not.
Bottom line is, it will be as good as humanly possible cause that's just the way we operate, like it or not.

i likes it!!!! think i'll just call it cool.

and thanks for all the work you guys do!
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 03-08-2016 at 08:46 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #59
tysnkole6
Major Leagues

What I've done in 16 is used the Negro League Quickstart, added in the real world, cleared the Negro League rosters, then exported the MLB rosters, re-created a standard game, and imported the rosters. I always thought it would be fun to see how Negro League greats like Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, etc. would compare with today's modern players.
tysnkole6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:30 PM   #60
Motorhead667
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
Thank you so very much,
I have been dreaming of this since the old days of APBA.
To finally be able to include these magnificent players into my baseball universe is well, a dream come true.
Thank you Bigrod and Spritze
If you're ever in Seattle, like to buy you a drink.