Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #21
andrewv500
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Perhaps the concern should be less about 100% accuracy, or something close to that, and focus on approximation. As many have stated there is information available to add this to the game, historical as currently constituted is no where near accurate with regards to teams and leagues anyways, and the value added would be tremendous.

Of course as with all things it could easily be an option, one that the user turns on in order to be used as opposed to something one has to know to turn off to avoid.

Personally I feel this is an important aspect to add to the game
andrewv500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #22
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Despite what some people will tell you, there is enough data to accurately recreate the Negro Leagues.
No, there's not. There are just too many things missing. You'll make up something you will call the Negro Leagues, but it won't be.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #23
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

An example, from Rob Neyer, who worked on the problem: "There's a lot of gray areas here. Basically, it was only the black newspapers that even covered the Negro Leagues games, and some survived on microfilm, some have been lost, some of them published once a week so they didn't cover every game, some of them didn't run box scores or they did run box scores but they were incomplete. A great example: Josh Gibson, according to the data that we got, in two of his seasons, two of his full seasons in the Negro Leagues, he drew zero walks. Well, we know that's not true. We know he drew a number of walks. He was a great hitter and feared. We just don't know how many walks he drew."

Now you can make up numbers, but at that point you have a fictional league.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #24
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Mr. Neyers comment is simply out of date. The earth is no longer flat either. "I have seen the edge!"

New research occurs daily. Things change. What once was a given is now called into question.

The future can be glorious!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #25
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
If there's already a negro league database is there way I can install it to already existing fictional league?

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:49 PM   #26
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mr. Neyers comment is simply out of date. The earth is no longer flat either. "I have seen the edge!"

New research occurs daily. Things change. What once was a given is now called into question.

The future can be glorious!
I flat out don't believe you. The necessary data was never recorded. You can't change that.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #27
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
i'm sure you probably know about The Negro Leagues Book - edited by Dick Clark & Larry Lester. It has rosters of the Negro Leagues from the 1880's until 1955. Pretty spendy last time i saw it an Amazon though
The paperback version is much cheaper, the used paperback is super cheap
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:03 AM   #28
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
I need to get with BigRod on this but I think

There is enough 1890 through mid-1930's data so I am planning on at least a mod, maybe this summer. Right now it looks to be about 10,000 negro league players. OOTP would like to include the negro leagues I am sure. A few hurdles to clear.
Currently grabbing and sorting the data...
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:38 AM   #29
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why not? Plus you have about 20 more years of data for Mr. Gibson. Taken as a whole I'd suspect his skill set would be accurately reflected unlike a vampire in a mirror.
You want to eliminate guesswork, but simply averaging all the other guesses doesn't yield certainty, it just yields another guess. And without reliable data, that's what you'll get. After all, Barry Bonds and I together have hit 762 major-league home runs. That doesn't mean that we have hit 381 each.

Last edited by joefromchicago; 03-07-2016 at 03:47 AM.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:32 AM   #30
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

We do not average "guesses". That wood bee stewpid.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:55 AM   #31
sprague
All Star Starter

Why not think of it as a feature some may use, some may not.

I for one would encourage their work on this project and see what it looks like when it is done..
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:55 AM   #32
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

The Negro League stats that we have now are little better than guesses. Educated guesses, no doubt, but guesses nonetheless. And guesses plus guesses divided by the total number of guesses equals another guess.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:08 AM   #33
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure what the complaint is here. If some are unhappy that there isn't 100% complete and verifiable negro league data to use in order to come up with stats for import into OOTP, it seems that unhappiness should be directed somewhere other than towards those who are making major efforts towards being able to bring negro leaguers into OOTP...

If the inclusion of thousands of negro leaguers into OOTP isn't your cup o' tea because the source data isn't 100% pure - or for whatever other reason - I'm reasonably sure that nobody will force you to use them in your game.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #34
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I'm not sure what the complaint is here. If some are unhappy that there isn't 100% complete and verifiable negro league data to use in order to come up with stats for import into OOTP, it seems that unhappiness should be directed somewhere other than towards those who are making major efforts towards being able to bring negro leaguers into OOTP...

If the inclusion of thousands of negro leaguers into OOTP isn't your cup o' tea because the source data isn't 100% pure - or for whatever other reason - I'm reasonably sure that nobody will force you to use them in your game.
put very well. After all, this is a game and as far as i can tell, none of it is 100% re-enactment of life as it happened, or is going to happen. i understand some people's position that the Negro League data base will not ever been perfectly complete, but that doesn't change the fact that what can be gleaned and re-discovered and put into a data base for those who would want to use it should be encouraged. i for one would like to see it and use it.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #35
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Not complete? It's a total shambles. I personally find claiming something to be historical that can never be anything but a flight of fantasy offensive.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #36
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Call them educated guesses. The farther down the minor league ladder and the farther back you go, the more guessing is involved. The Negro Leagues are no different. With that understanding, and having faith in Spritze and Bigrod to make the best guesses they can from the information they can find, I'd rather have them available in the game than not. I'd rather have the earliest independent American Association, International League, and PCL available, but I'm excited enough about the concept of historical minors to cheerfully take what they give me while continuing to pester for more.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #37
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

"Hmm. No walk or K data on Josh Gibson. Let's just give him Barry Bonds' percentages, that's the ticket!"

Not buying it.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #38
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
It's more like 10% pure and 90% made up.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #39
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
"Hmm. No walk or K data on Josh Gibson. Let's just give him Barry Bonds' percentages, that's the ticket!"

Not buying it.

you're partially right. There is no K data, but there is walk data.

Josh Gibson - Seamheads.com Negro Leagues Database Powered by The Baseball Gauge
Josh Gibson Register Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

maybe it's not enough for everyone. But in the universe i play the game, it's OK because even with mostly "real" players and stats, it's still a fictional experience. i fully understand your position on this. it just may not apply to the way other people might play their games. It is after all, a game. Have a good day and i DO understand/appreciate your position. it's just not mine.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #40
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Not complete? It's a total shambles. I personally find claiming something to be historical that can never be anything but a flight of fantasy offensive.
Offensive? Really? Offensive? Not merely something with which you respectfully, or even vehemently, disagree? But offensive?

You must really be fun at parties.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote