Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 5 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM 5 dynasties here!

Old 10-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #21
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Goalie nabbed on Waiver Wire
12/9/1991

Meet your new goaltender: Greg Stefan (pictured), formerly of the Detroit Red Wings.

It was official today as the San Jose Sharks claimed Greg Stefan off the waiver wire today, prompting speculation as to whom will be sent down as a corresponding move to make room for the new goalie.

It has been no secret at the Cow Palace that management has been keen to make a change in net as neither Healy, nor backup Daniel Berthiaume have performed up to expectations.

Sources close to the GM and his staff stated that a goalie will be going down to Kansas City today, via the waiver wire.

The Sharks have been quietly adding to their team depth via waivers throughout the season, usually moving said player down to their AHL affiliate. Previous acquisitions were RW Daniel Marois from Washington, C Mark Janssens from the Rangers, who was added to the active roster at the expense of Brian lawton, and Darin Kimble who was acquired and promptly sent down to Kansas City to join Marois.

San Jose is currently last in the Smyth Division with a woeful 7-22-1 record.

Stefan has played in only 3 games this season with a 2.30 GAA and .931 SV%.
Attached Images
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #22
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Gilchrist shoots down Jets
12/10/1991 21:52 PST

Brent Gilchrist’s first hat trick of his career helped San Jose secure their second win against the Jets this season.

Trailing 2-1 in the 3rd, Gilchrist’s natural hat trick gave the Sharks a lead they would not relinquish. Helped by Stastny and Stephane Richer, the Sharks managed a rare offensive outburst for their 8th win of the season. Scoring for Winnipeg was Keith Tkachuk, Thomas Steen, and Luciano Borsato.

“We really needed him tonight” said Coach Fyvie of his left winger. “He usually does the little things.. off the score sheet. It’s great to see him get rewarded with his first career hat trick tonight.”

For his efforts, Gilchrist (pictured) was humble. “I try and contribute in any way, every game. Getting a hat trick at home was really sweet.”

Another hero on the night was Sharks’ starting goalie, Glenn Healy, who provided a phenomenal 40 save performance. “I saw a lot of rubber tonight. I stopped a lot of rubber tonight. It was fun out there.”

Winnipeg’s powerplay was 1-6 while the Sharks struggled with the man advantage, shooting blanks in their 4 opportunities.

Winnipeg is tied for second place in the Smyth Division with a 15-14-1 record. San Jose sits at the bottom of the division with a 8-22-1 record.

Winnipeg continues their road trip with a date with the Kings Dec 12th. San Jose has two more games at home, hosting Edmonton on the 12th and Minnesota on the 14th, before going back on the road.

In other news Daniel Berthiaume cleared waivers and was assigned to the Kansas City Blades today, making room on the active roster for newly acquired goalie Greg Stefan who was himself placed on waivers.
Attached Images

Last edited by DFyvie; 10-12-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #23
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Kurri scores 1200pt in draw with Sharks
12/12/1991 22:00 PST

It was a milestone 12 years in the making, but it only took All-star winger Jari Kurri 9.09 into the first period Thursday night to score his 1200 point of his amazing career.

“Getting it on the powerplay was really sweet.” Recalled the Finnish sniper. “I owe all of these points to the amazing players I’ve had the benefit to play with, over the years.”

Overshadowed, but still happy, was Sharks’ winger Johan Garpenlov (pictured) who had a great night himself. 2 goals and 2 assists ensured Garpenlov the first star of the game as he figured into every one of San Jose’s goals. “The puck just found me tonight. I’d be happier if we’d won, but I’ll take a draw against (the Champions).”

Also scoring for the Sharks were Jeff Odgers and Stephane Richer. Glenn Healy faced another barrage and turned aside 43 shots.

All in all it was an eventful game. San Jose went down 2 early and slowly managed to climb back, despite losing their top defensemen Craig Muni.

“He’s down with what looks like a broken bone in the elbow. X-rays don’t look good.” Said Coach Fyvie, who later confirmed that the defender will be down for 6 months.

Next the Sharks will host the Minnesota North Stars on the 14th. The first place Oilers will return home to face the Winnipeg Jets, also on the 14th.
Attached Images
Old 10-13-2018, 02:56 AM   #24
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Sharks trade prospects, pick for Nedved
12/16/1991

In the spirit of Christmas, 9 days away, the Vancouver Canucks and San Jose Sharks exchanged gifts. Leaving the Canucks for central California are struggling sophomore centre Petr Nedved and minor league winger Andrew McBain. Leaving the Sharks are goalie Craig Billington, D-man Steve Poapst and a 5th round pick in the 1992 NHL entry draft.

Some might say Vancouver was more giving than San Jose. “They put a lot into getting Petr to begin with so we were a bit surprised that he was available” noted GM Fyvie of the trade. “I mean, (Nedved) created an international incident defecting and they move him during a sophomore slump.”

Nedved (pictured) is finding it difficult adjusting to the rigours of the NHL, but the talent level is there. “I think he needs a friend.” Added Slovak centre and fellow defector Petr Statsny. “We’ll make him feel welcome. Give him a home cooked meal. It’s not a fish bowl here. You come to work, play hockey, you don’t have an army of media following your every move like you do up in Canada.”

The young Czech winger has joined San Jose in New York and is expected to be in the lineup tonight against the Rangers.

It is planned that Nedved will join Stastny and David Volek forming a Czech-Slovak line in the middle of the depth chart. “He’s a great talent.” David Volek added. “He’s got a great shot and knows how to use it. I think we’ll have fun together.”

Petr Nedved made headlines in January of 1989 when he defected from Czechoslovakia to Canada whilst in Calgary playing in the Macs’ Midget Hockey Tournament. Drafted by Vancouver in 1990, Nedved has struggled with life in North America and the media scrutiny his talent has attracted.

The 14-16-3 Vancouver Canucks start a 4 game homestead tomorrow against the Red Wings. San Jose starts their road trip tonight as they visit the New York Rangers. Their record stands at 8-23-2.
Attached Images
Old 10-13-2018, 04:41 AM   #25
DFyvie
Major Leagues

ZZ tops in trade with Sharks
1/19/1992

It took a bit longer than he wanted but GM Fyvie finally managed to address his team’s deficiency on the back end by acquiring Pittsburgh’s Zarley Zalapski (pictured).

Young Swedish defensemen Per Djoos and two 5th round picks (1992 and 1993 drafts) was the cost of bringing in Zalapski, a bonafide top 3 defenseman.

“(Zalapski) can handle the minutes and give us the help we desperately need on the back end to cover the loss of Muni.” Said GM Fyvie of his new player. “He’ll take the pressure off Brisebois on the powerplay too.”

Born in Edmonton, Zalapski has quickly established himself as a solid, smooth skating rear-guard. “I like to handle the puck and distribute the best I can.” Zarley said of his playing style. “Playing out West was something I was really keen on. I’m not so far away from my family now.”

Zalapski has put up gaudy numbers too. Last season, Zalapski broke out with a 21 goal 70pt performance. This year has him scoring 43pts in 41 games. “It’s easy when Mario’s out there.” Said Zalapski of his former teammate and living legend, Mario Lemieux. “You feed him the puck and he gets you the points.”

The new blue liner will have his work cut out for him in San Jose, however. No Mario and no Paul Coffey. “They’re young here.. but Pittsburgh was young too. They have some great talent in the pipeline.” Zalapski said of his new team.

Zalapski will be fully rested when he makes his debut for the sharks; the teal and black don’t have another game until they travel to Zalapski’s hometown of Edmonton on the 21st.

“My Mom has requested a few passes” Mentioned the 23yr old. “And my folks want to check out San Jose soon too.”

It is expected Zalapski will play on the top pair with Gerald Diduck or Patrice Brisebois.
Attached Images

Last edited by DFyvie; 10-13-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #26
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Spare parts moved with picks
3/19/1992

The San Jose Sharks consummated a swap with the St Louis Blues this afternoon moving winger Brad Dalgarno for minor league goalie Guy Hebert and two 5th round picks.

With 48 hours before the trade-deadline, GM Fyvie took the opportunity re-acquire two 5th round selections that were moved earlier in the year in the Zalapski deal with Pittsburgh.

25 year old Hebert was icing on the cake. “We think (Hebert) could be an option for us in the years to come. Goalie’s tend to be late bloomers so we’ll see what happens.”

Going the other way is seldom used 24 year old Brad Dalgarno. “We drafted (Brad) in the expansion draft so he was an original Shark as it were.” Opined Fyvie. “We liked Brad’s speed and size, but Odgers simply outplayed him for that 12th spot in the lineup. We wish him the best. He’s a great teammate.”

With Dalgarno’s departure, a move from Kansas City is pending is fill the gap in the roster. “Josef Beranek has been up for a couple of cups of coffee at different times this year, so he’s the favourite.” Stated Fyvie. For his efforts, the young Czech centre has 20 goals and 46 points after 48 games in the AHL making the team leader in both categories.

Beranek (pictured) was not available to comment.

As the season winds to close, San Jose’s record stands at a 14-50-7. Their next game is tonight in Calgary against the Flames as they start an arduous 7 game road trip.
Attached Images
Old 10-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #27
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Inaugural season closes with a win
4/16/1992 22:15 PST

With the buzzer sounding for the last time, San Jose closed the season out with a hard fought win over the Jets 4-3.

It wasn’t an easy year for the expansion team who went an abysmal 18-55-7 over the course of the 91-92 season. Abysmal, but not unexpected.

“We knew it would be a long, tough season.” Noted GM and Coach Dave Fyvie. “We tried to give the home fans the best we could give them. It was nice finishing the year on a high.”

One player in particular, was happy with the result. Sovak star Peter Stastny registered his 700th assist on the night. “I don’t know about the other guys, but I had a fun year. When you get a bit older, you realise every game you play is a blessing. Win, lose or draw, you have to have fun and make the most of it.”

Stastny’s milestone assist came on the first goal of the game, setting up Petr Nedved’s 18th goal of the season. “I love playing with him.” Noted Czech winger Nedved. “When I came over here from the Canucks, he was there for me. When you meet your idol and he turns out to be your friend - it’s wonderful.”

Nedved finished the year with decent numbers. After registering just 9 points in 33 games with Vancouver, the 20yr old exploded with 15 goals and 24 points in 47 games with the Sharks. “I got the ice time. That was the difference.” Noted Nedved.

Another Shark that took advantage of his new role was former Canadiens centre Stephen Lebeau, who led the team with an astonishing 26 goals 75 point season in just 76 games. “I had fun this year. I just wished we could’ve won more.” Said the French Canadian.

He was one part of a top pair that did a lot of damage for San Jose. Stephane Richer, who came in second in team scoring, had a solid year himself. “It was good for me, yeah.” Said the right winger. His 35 goals and 71 points could be noted as a come-back year after his disappointing ’90/91 campaign where he only registered 34 points in 68 games. “To come back and produce at the level I am accustomed to was a big plus. Playing with (Lebeau) made it possible. He’s a spark plug.”

With the season over, GM Fyvie’s focus will turn on contracts, rosters, and preparing for another 2 expansion teams and the 1992 NHL entry draft.

“The front office will get together and talk about what worked for us, and what didn’t. Do we get younger, older, bigger or faster?” One of the top priorities for the Sharks will have to be keeping the puck out of the net. “I think shot suppression will be the focus this summer. Whether we address it as simply looking at our goaltending situation, or it it becomes more of a 3 zone, 4 lines, puck control set-up.. I don’t know yet.”
Old 10-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #28
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Sharks lose 3 in Expansion Draft
7/2/1992

The expansion Ottawa Senators and Tampa Bay Lighting went to work today and picked the meat off the other 22 established NHL rosters today as the NHL Expansion draft got under way.

Captain Dean Kennedy, Goalie Greg Stefan, and centre Ken Hodge were left exposed by the Sharks, and duly picked up by the Senators and Lighting respectively.

With the expansion draft concluded, the first round of the NHL entry draft will begin tomorrow, with the following rounds following on the 4th of July.

With little consensus of who will go first, the scouting departments of the two newest teams will be put to the test.

Front runners to go in the top 5 are American defenseman Brian Rafalski, American Goalie Tim Thomas, Canadian forwards Cory Stillman and Mike Peca and Russian rearguard Sergei Gonchar. Canadian forward Steve Sullivan and Russian phenom Alexei Yashin are also highly ranked by some scouts.

After finishing the season 21st in the standings, San Jose will pick 4th, after the two expansion teams and the Philadelphia Flyers who finished at the bottom of the league last season.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 10-15-2018, 06:29 AM   #29
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Trade drama on Draft Day
7/3/1992

It was out with the old, in with the new today as the Senators and Lightning made their inaugural first round selections. San Jose added to the festivities with a Draft day trade and a top 5 selection of their own.

With the first pick of the day, and the first pick in their history, the Tampa Bay Lightning selected American defender Brian Rafalski making it the second year in a row a defender was selected first. Following their expansion cousin, The Ottawa Senators selected Canadian centre Mike Peca. To round out the top five, Philadelphia selected Goalie Tim Thomas, San Jose picked Sergei Gonchar, and the Vancouver Canucks placed a jersey on the shoulders of winger Cory Stillman.

San Jose, eager to address team needs, also made a trade with the Senators. Going to Ottawa is offensive defenseman Greg Hawgood. In return, the Sharks received veteran Stay-at-home rearguard Curt Giles (pictured with Minnesota). With 10 years separating their age, it was apparent Ottawa is keen to get younger, whereas San Jose was eager to acquire some much needed leadership.

“(Hawgood) was great for us this year, but with Zalapski coming into the fold and Brisebois emerging as a top-four option we needed to augment our blueline a little bit. Giles gives us some no-nonsense leadership on the back end.” GM Fyvie said.

On the drafting of Gonchar, Fyvie said “Sergei is deadly on the blueline. Like Niedermayer before him, we’re trying to build the best defense in the league”.

When asked how close the young Russian defender was from the NHL. “He’s a few years away. I think Niedermayer benefitted from a year in the minors. Sergei may stay in Russia this year and we’ll re-evaluate next summer.”

Notable players that were unselected in the top five were Russian phenom Alexei Yashin (later selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs at 12th), who some pundits predicted had a good chance of being selected first, and Russian winger Maxim Sushinsky, who went unselected, was also mentioned as a potential top 5 pick.

And with that the first day of the 1992 draft concluded. The second and subsequent rounds will begin tomorrow morning.

The complete first round is listed below:
1 - Brian Rafalski - OTT
2 - Michael Peca - TB
3 - Tim Thomas - PHI
4 - Sergei Gonchar - SJ
5 - Cory Stillman - VAN
6 - Jim Carey - DET
7 - Steve Sullivan - HFD
8 - Patrick Lalime - MTL
9 - Sami Salo - WAS
10-Jason Smith - WPG
11-Anson Carter - QUE
12-Alexei Yashin - TOR
13-Joe Hulbig - LA
14-Stephane Yelle - BUF
15-Mark Mowers - BOS
16-Nathan Dempsey - STL
17-Craig Rivet - NJD
18-Frantisek Kaberle - NYI
19-Jeff Shantz - NYR
20-MIke Rathje - CHI
21-Joel Bouchard - CGY
22-Manny Fernandez - MIN
23-Roman Hamrlik - EDM
24-Jaroslav Spacek - PIT
Attached Images
Old 10-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #30
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Sharks wrap up ’92 draft
7/4/1992

After 2 full days of selections, the 24 NHL teams put the finishing touches on the 120 plus players selected over 5 rounds of the 1992 NHL entry draft.

San Jose again got to work early picking 4th in the second round. After picks from the Lightning, Senators and Flyers, the Sharks selected Canadian centre Ian Laperriere.

“We like his intangibles” added GM Fyvie. “He has talent, but it is off the score sheet where he does his damage.”

Following Laperriere (pictured), the Sharks picked another Russian defenseman Maxim Galanov in the 3rd round, Swiss Goalie Martin Gerber in the 4th, and finally Russian behemoths Andrei Nazarov (6’5”), and Sergei Klimovich (6’3”) in the 5th.

Over the weekend San Jose selected 4 Russians, 1 Canadian, and 1 Swiss national.

Commenting on his selections, GM Fyvie liked the mix. “We got a bit more sandpaper this year. We also wanted to get a goalie in the early going as we don’t have one in the pipeline yet. It’s important to focus on potential team needs, 2 or 3 years down the line, and not just this October.”

The next few months promise to be important for the franchise as they look to make adjustments for the 1992 season.

“Team identity” said Coach/GM Fyvie. “We need to establish a team identity. We’re not the baby in the league anymore. We need to assert our identity.” What that will look like on the ice will greet the Sharks’ faithful in September.
Attached Images

Last edited by DFyvie; 10-15-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #31
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Original Shark announces retirement
7/5/1992

Sharks’ centreman Peter Stastny, has announced his retirement.

Peter Stastny was a prolific scorer in the NHL in the 1980s. He started his career in the NHL with the Quebec Nordiques in 1980 and was traded in 1990 to the New Jersey Devils. As a star member of a team playing in a francophone city, Stastny endeared himself to the Quebec fans by learning to speak French, and later learned to speak English.

When the startling news broke in 1980 that Czechoslovakia player of the year, Peter Stastny, and his brother, Anton, had defected to Canada to play with the Quebec Nordiques, it represented a watershed moment in professional hockey as one of the first major stars of Eastern bloc hockey to join the NHL. The following year, his brother, Marián, joined them and they became the third trio of brothers to play on the same professional hockey team (the first being the Bentley brothers of the Chicago Blackhawks in the 1940s and the second being the Plager brothers of the St. Louis Blues in the 1970s).

The trickle of Czechoslovak and Soviet hockey players rapidly became a flood following his footsteps. According to Peter, his defection "was the best decision I ever made. It has given my family the choices and options that people behind the Iron Curtain could only dream of. Then, to play pro hockey with my two brothers was like icing on the cake."

Stastny’s final contribution happened in San Jose, a Hockey backwater of sorts. It was there that Peter showed great leadership and dedication to his new City and players, including young Czech superstar Petr Nedved.

Peter Stastny scored 396 goals and 700 assists for an impressive 1096 points in just 838 games.
Attached Images
Old 10-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #32
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Meet the 1992 Sharks - 5 key Player profiles
10/4/1992

#35 Glenn Healy
Born in Pickering Ontario, Glenn Healy is a 6 year vet that first saw NHL action as an Los Angeles King in the ’85/86 campaign. Healy plays low to the ice and possesses a quick glove hand which is matched by his quick reflexes. Selected by the San Jose Sharks in the ’91 expansion draft, Healy started a career high 60 games and predictably saw a career high in shots. Not blessed with outstanding talent, many scouts see Healy as more of a quality backup at this stage in his career. The Sharks have little choice but to turn to him again and guide this young team and hope for a push for the playoffs.

#33 Zarley Zalapski
The 24 year old Edmonton native is still relatively young but has a accomplished much in his short NHL career. Acquired last season from the Pittsburgh Penguins, Zalapski instantly became San Jose’s defacto number 1 defenseman. Smooth skating with outstanding offensive instincts, it is the defensive side of Zarley’s game that needs to improve the most. If San Jose is to make any improvements this year, having Zalapski for the full season is a must.

#27 Scott Niedermayer
At just 19, Scott Niedermayer has the weight of the young franchise on his shoulders. The team’s first ever draft choice must prove this is the year where he becomes a legitimate NHL’er. Much like Zalapski, Niedermayer’s ability with the puck sets him apart from other defenders. Unlike his veteran teammate, his ability to think the game at a higher level makes him special. San Jose’s success this year and the years to come do rest on Niedermayer’s shoulders. Are they broad enough?

#44 Stephane Richer
The point of hockey is to outscore the opposition, and you can’t score goals without a goalscorer. Enter Stephane Richer, a two time 50 goal scorer and Stanley Cup champion. Much of San Jose’s fortunes are on the end of Richer’s stick. His bounce back season last year of 35 goals and 71 points was an improvement on an abysmal 15 goal 1990 campaign. But can Richer score 50 again? He’ll need some help.

#19 Petr Nedved
When Petr Nedved is on the ice, you notice. His long fluid strides drive him across the ice effortlessly. His reach, and skill with the puck make him look almost angelic. But is their a fire in that belly? Vancouver didn’t think so and jettisoned the prospect to San Jose where Nedved found himself skating on the wing with Peter Stastny. Nedved erupted and more than doubled his point production. Peter Stastny has retired. Will Nedved’s production stay on the team, or evaporate too?
Attached Images

Last edited by DFyvie; 10-15-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:56 AM   #33
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Sharks feed on Sabres for first win
10/23/1992 22.05 EST

It took a little longer than they would’ve wanted, but the Sharks registered their first win of the year against the Sabres by a score of 4-2.

Bolstered by a great performance from Zarley Zalapski, the Sharks struck for 3 powerplay goals on their way to victory.

“We needed this.” Coach Fyvie added. “I think we’ve finally played our best 60 minutes, and against a strong team.”

5:21 into the first, centre Petr Nedved opened the scoring, set up by Stephane Richer and Zalapski on the powerplay. That would be the theme of the night as the team’s PP unit struck two more times.

Twice Buffalo tied the game before Zalapski finally iced it at 14:32 of the third making it a 4-2 final score.

This is just their second game into a 7 game road trip. The 1-6 Sharks are back at it again tomorrow night against the Maple Leafs in Toronto, hoping to add to the win column.

“Sometimes it’s easier on the road, you simplify your game a bit”. 1st star Petr Nedved said of the victory. “You don’t worry as much about matchups. You just go out there and play.”

Other notables on the game was the performance of back-up Guy Hebert (pictured) who made 29 saves, and Stephane Richer who came away with 3 assists.

With San Jose playing the rookie sensation Peter Forsberg, tomorrow in Toronto, the Sabres get 5 days off and play the same Maple Leafs on the 28th.
Attached Images
Old 10-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #34
Duranium
All Star Starter

Great dynasty report - very enjoyable read

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:09 AM   #35
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Sharks move pieces with Blackhawks
11/16/1992

In an effort to bolster his team’s defensive play, GM Fyvie has acquired 33 year old winger Dirk Graham (pictured) from the Blackhawks today, sending young minor league Swedish defenseman Per Gustafsson to Chicago in exchange.

Noted for his gritty two-way play, Graham also brings in much needed veteran moxie to the young team. “We need his leadership, more than anything else.” Note GM Fyvie. “His play away from the puck, and his presence in the dressing room and on the bench are key for us.”

Chicago was keen to unload the veteran leader to make room for youth in their organisation. “Graham was blocking some of their young pieces in the lineup and we have room in ours for him.” Added Fyvie.

Gustafsson on the other hand was being slowly pushed down the prospect depth chart here in San Jose what with the emergence of (prospects) Boris Mironov, Sergei Gonchar and Jon Klemm. “Gustafsson brings a lot to the table, but we thought his chances of breaking thru here in San Jose was bleak.” Noted Fyvie.

The former captain Graham has only played in 12 games this season with Chicago, scoring no goals and 3 assists. It is thought he will line-up on the 3rd line with Mike Sullivan and Brent Gilchrist to form a formidable shut-down line and feature on the penalty kill.

Graham will suit up for the 4-13-1 Sharks tomorrow when they face the cross-state rivals Los Angeles Kings who are 8-10-0. Also suiting up will be defenseman Craig Muni who had missed the last several games with a dislocated shoulder.
Attached Images
Old 10-18-2018, 04:17 AM   #36
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Sharks, Flyers swap 4 at season halfway mark
1/10/1993

Stephan Lebeau, David Volek and a 7th round pick in the upcoming draft have been sent to Philadelphia for minor league defender Lance Pitlick and sniper Scott Mellanby (pictured).

Lebeau, en route to a career season in goals and points (19 goals and 32 Points) was shocked at the news. “Obviously they wanted to go in a different direction.” Said the centre who was packing his bags. “I know it’s been a tough season but I feel we’ve been playing better since December.”

The team has indeed played better, notching 7 wins in 18 games, but the General manager was still willing to shake it up. “This move is in our long-term interests.” Opined the GM. “This is our chance to move certain players around in the lineup. Nylander moves into the second line with (Mellanby) and Nedved will join Richer on the top line.”

Mellanby was highly sought out by the team. “We wanted someone who complimented (Nylander)’s skill set.” GM Fyvie said of the trade. “(Mellanby) is great in the offensive zone, is strong on the boards and has a quick shot. He’ll certainly have his chances flanking Nylander.”

In 40 games this season, Scott Mellanby has 11 goals and 22 points, playing mostly on the 3rd line. Mellanby has twice eclipsed the 20 goal mark in his career, 31 goals in ’90/91 and 20 goals in ’91/92. With San Jose, many predict his totals to go up playing on the powerplay and on the second scoring line.

Mellanby will join his new team in Ottawa as the 12-27-3 Sharks face the expansion Senators. Lebeau and Volek join their new team in Philadelphia where the 9-26-5 Flyers host the Edmonton Oilers.
Attached Images