Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #101
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

This example is from OOTP16, but the problem persists.

KC vs. SF (2014)

This one has me stumped. The AI replaces Finegan (LHP) with Collins (LHP) to begin the 8th, even though Finegan entered the game @ 100% and has thrown only 8 pitches. The leadoff batter is Pagan (LHB). Collins gets him out. Collins is then replaced by Frasor (RHP), even though the next batter is Panik (LHB). Frasor gives up a single to Panik. Frasor then retires Posey (RBH). Frasor, who entered the game @ 100%, is then replaced by Duffy (LHP) to face Sandoval (SHB).

Why not keep Finegan in the game to face the LHBs? Why replace Collins with a RHP when a LHB is up next? Why burn through so many relief pitchers?
Attached Images

Last edited by pstrickert; 09-13-2016 at 06:05 PM.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #102
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

For the record, I realize we can't eliminate all the dubious AI decisions; I just hope we can prevent the AI from putting itself at a disadvantage by burning through its bullpen unnecessarily.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #103
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
For the record, I realize we can't eliminate all the dubious AI decisions; I just hope we can prevent the AI from putting itself at a disadvantage by burning through its bullpen unnecessarily.
I sim most games but I playout all-star game, division games and playoffs and I been in the situation thinking why would the AI bring in a RHP to face a LHB when you just brought in a LHP to face a LHB and took care of him in 5 pitches why not leave him and face the 2nd batter? Made no sence to me

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #104
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
This example is from OOTP16, but the problem persists.

KC vs. SF (2014)

This one has me stumped. The AI replaces Finegan (LHP) with Collins (LHP) to begin the 8th, even though Finegan entered the game @ 100% and has thrown only 8 pitches. The leadoff batter is Pagan (LHB). Collins gets him out. Collins is then replaced by Frasor (RHP), even though the next batter is Panik (LHB). Frasor gives up a single to Panik. Frasor then retires Posey (RBH). Frasor, who entered the game @ 100%, is then replaced by Duffy (LHP) to face Sandoval (SHB).

Why not keep Finegan in the game to face the LHBs? Why replace Collins with a RHP when a LHB is up next? Why burn through so many relief pitchers?

I think I have potential answers to 2 of the 3 questions, depending on the facts at hand:

1) The "now in LF" line under the new pitcher indicates a double switch, so I think this was about moving the pitcher's spot around in the order, not the handedness of the pitcher vs the upcoming batter.

2) I've got nothing on this one, does the LHB have a reverse split?

3) Two partial answers - 1) the NL is stupid and this makes for more subs from double-switching, and more seriously 2) was Sandoval rated as a worse RHB than LHB? I ask because it looks like the AI may have correctly decided to turn him around by switching the handedness of the relief pitcher

So, out of your 3 questions, I only see one that lacks a potentially logical explanation, so I think there may be some piling onto the AI here for being completely illogical when there is some reasonable logic going on under the hood. I play in the AL, so this may explain why I'm not seeing such wacky reliever usage - the AI may be over-using double-switches on top of any other calculations being made, so the AI is going Full Larussa on us.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:19 PM   #105
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I'm sure there's logic involved.

I was using generic L/R splits. So, I doubt the AI was responding to "reverse" splits. What do you think?
Old 09-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #106
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
I think there may be some piling onto the AI here for being completely illogical when there is some reasonable logic going on under the hood. I play in the AL, so this may explain why I'm not seeing such wacky reliever usage - the AI may be over-using double-switches on top of any other calculations being made, so the AI is going Full Larussa on us.
Thanks for the new sig.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:28 PM   #107
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure there's logic involved.

I was using generic L/R splits. So, I doubt the AI was responding to "reverse" splits. What do you think?
I think that I'm back to having nothing on Question #2.

I'm feeling pretty ok on #1 and #3 unless the AI made Sandoval hit from his stronger side, per in-game ratings from the generic splits.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #108
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Hmm. Does the AI really take that into consideration (assuming the difference is relatively small)? I don't know. I kind of doubt it, but I'll try to pay more attention.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #109
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

I haven't tried it, but does changing the reliever usage setting to something lower improve the bullpen over-management?

Tough under current MLB rules, it seems that the bullpen over-management doesn't make too much of a difference. Without any further patches and changes to the AI, I would suggest at least deactivating roster size changes on the league evolution option.

A reduced 6-man bullpen (thanks to a reduced 24-man roster from evolution) can kill your bullpen. I'm playing GM-only with a controlling manager. The first year after the rule change to a 24-man roster, I used the regular 7-man bullpen and I dominated 1-run games as the AI teams (with 6-men) had tired pitchers in late innings, which negated their extra pinch-hitter advantage. However, in year 2 I switched to the 6-man bullpen and my bullpen is dying every week, and do to a domino effect, my starters are leaving them in too long.
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #110
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoiles View Post
I haven't tried it, but does changing the reliever usage setting to something lower improve the bullpen over-management?

Tough under current MLB rules, it seems that the bullpen over-management doesn't make too much of a difference. Without any further patches and changes to the AI, I would suggest at least deactivating roster size changes on the league evolution option.

A reduced 6-man bullpen (thanks to a reduced 24-man roster from evolution) can kill your bullpen. I'm playing GM-only with a controlling manager. The first year after the rule change to a 24-man roster, I used the regular 7-man bullpen and I dominated 1-run games as the AI teams (with 6-men) had tired pitchers in late innings, which negated their extra pinch-hitter advantage. However, in year 2 I switched to the 6-man bullpen and my bullpen is dying every week, and do to a domino effect, my starters are leaving them in too long.

The key to this scenario, in my opinion, is to have Brock Holt-style utility players who can cover at least 2 IF and 2 OF positions on the bench, freeing up a roster spot for that extra reliever.

I wouldn't expect the AI to be clever enough to do this, but it would be key to a human player's success in that reduced roster size environment.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #111
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...available.html
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote