Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 03-31-2020, 09:13 PM   #81
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Wow. I just read all four pages...every word. What a great Dynasty Report. I've read a few pages from other people, but I really liked how you laid yours out. Concise, but great commentary. Honestly, I had a stupid smile on my face almost the entire first page. I was so into it.

Oh, you forgot to tell us who won the 1984 World Series! Please don't say Boston. Boo Boston! Hiss! Hiss!! I've gotta ask you, how did you do each season? Did you start off the season and auto-sim until the All-Star Break, or somewhere around there? Take some screenshots for your season write up and then sim again to somewhere right around game 162? It sounds like you did your post-season stuff one day at a time...is that correct? Sorry to be all nosy, but one day I'm sure I'll want to do something like this. I noticed many entries (I'm grouping seasons together) were within a few days of each other, so I assume you weren't spending a whole lot of time IRL on each season, or am I incorrect?

A few observations & comments:

I hate to say it, but I was laughing at your misery with Goose Gossage in the playoffs. Why? Because I'm doing a historical sim, started with the '81 Yankees and Mr. Gossage has given me the exact same type of performance when I made it to the playoffs. So, I know your pain.

I was so excited when I got my hands on Nolan Ryan for the '82 season. It's like winning the lottery, right?? Not for me. He was supposed to be my Ace but he was so terrible for me, I traded him before the year was over. My world must be in the upside-down. Look at this:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot how gross Memorial Stadium was in Baltimore, in a good way... Frankly, I love old stadiums. I love my Yanks, but living in Mass., I go to more Red Sox games because it's so much closer. Fenway is gross. Half of it smells like pee & beer. But history. When you come outta the tunnel and see that ultra-green grass. Ted Williams played right over there. Mickey ran down fly balls right over there. And so on... I was so sad when they got rid of Yankee Stadium. The House That Ruth Built. No more.

I can't wait to see what's in store for the 1987 Texas Rangers and beyond! Great job!!!
Old 10-23-2020, 04:32 PM   #82
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
Wow. I just read all four pages...every word.
Thanks for your great comment!

Apologies for this series being on hiatus. The pandemic altered my schedule, and I also had a bit of a shift in the games I was playing. Just fired up this dynasty for the first time in forever though cause I missed it. Had some good success too, so maybe the secret is stepping away for 6 months?? Will try to post details soon.

To answer a few of your questions... the Dodgers swept the Red Sox in 1984. So Boston is still winless in the World Series since 1918. They have a scary team now though with Clemens, Ozzie Smith, and Eck. Best SP, SS, and CL in the league... that's tough to beat.

Probably the most time I spend with this series is the playoffs, cause I sim 1 game and 1 plate appearance at a time, and the offseason... cause I have to check out all the changes that happened via re-calc and new players coming in and whatnot. Once I setup my lineups and pitching I can burn through a season pretty fast. At times I took a lot of screenshots and didn't post for a while, so I had a backlog for this dynasty thread.

Anyway, I think the plan for the future is to go until I finally win a World Series with just real life Texas Rangers players. And if that happens I'll not do updates here, until maybe the end or periodically when I can update on which players made the Hall, and what my overall record was like.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #83
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1987 REGULAR SEASON

I played this 1987 season an age and a half ago, so I don't remember exact details. But Texas is again the class of the AL West, and we were led by some excellent hitting at the top of the order, and some great pitching as usual.

Attached the standings, batter, and pitcher stats. Will Clark was on fire with a sizzling 7.0 WAR at 1B; he had a real 5-Tool season... hitting for average, power, with good baserunning, and plus defense. Even our bench players were hot, a couple with a ridiculous wRC+ over 140 somehow? Also some characteristically great pitching from Nolan Ryan, Tom Henke, and others.

Up next we face the hated Boston Red Sox in the ALCS yet again. Both of us with identical 106-56 records.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 10-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #84
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1987 ALCS: TEXAS RANGERS VS. BOSTON RED SOX

In a familiar rematch, we face the Red Sox in the ALCS. As I said before, they have the unfair combination of Roger Clemens, Ozzie Smith, and Dennis Eckersley to prevent runs. Altogether though we are pretty even, having identical records in the regular season. If we have an advantage, it's a bit more oomph at the top of the lineup, and better pitching depth.

Unfortunately we started the series down 3-1, with our only win coming in a ridiculous 16-14 Game 2, where we laid down 24 hits and had a real seesaw of a game, swinging the win probability pendulum around wildly.

It was at this point, down 3-1, that I stepped away from this series for a while. Amidst the pandemic and finding other games to play, I had forgotten all about what had happened with my virtual Rangers alt-history. It will continue in near real-time after this!
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 10-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #85
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1987 ALCS: PUSHING IT TO GAME 7

Fast forward to October 2020, with the real-life LAD/TB World Series going on. I have a hankering to pick up my Texas Rangers dynasty again. Here we go! I discover we're down 3-1 to BOS in the 1987 ALCS. Surely we're out of it? Let's give it a go anyway!

Game 5 we win a tight 8-6 ballgame. OK we're in this.

Game 6, Jose Canseco hits a 1st inning grand slam from the cleanup spot, just like you draw it up right? And then in the 2nd inning, we hit back-to-back-to-back homers to go up 9-0. Yes! But then our bullpen (including Rich Gossage of course) almost blows it, giving up 8 runs. We squeak by with a 9-8 victory. Wow!

Game 7, again we score buckets of runs... and the bullpen has a meltdown. It ends up 10-7 in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded and 2 outs. We have our only trustworthy pitcher, Tom Henke, on the mound. A grand slam would end the game and our season. But Henke leaves them loaded and we record the final out!

Texas wins! Texas wins! We've come back from 3-1 down. We're going to the World Series! That's gotta be one of the all-time great series... look how many runs were scored. And the pendulum swinging back-and-forth between the Red Sox and Rangers, wow. They've gotta be our biggest rival by now.

I guess sometimes you just need to step away from a dynasty and come back with fresh eyes...
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 11-04-2020, 05:14 PM   #86
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1987 WORLD SERIES PREVIEW: TEXAS RANGERS VS. ST LOUIS CARDINALS

For the 1987 World Series, we're up against the St Louis Cardinals. Ahh yes, the same opponent as in the infamous 2011 World Series.

They netted 100 wins on the year for the best record in the NL, and defeated the Cincinnati Reds in the NLCS (also in 7 games). Looking at their roster, they don't scare me as much as Boston did. They have Andy Van Slyke who is 3rd in Batter WAR in the NL with 5.8. Also Keith Hernandez who's good but for some reason batting 6th?? Some power spread throughout the lineup though.

STL is kind of a mishmash of decent pieces but I think we're definitely the favourite to win here. Their defense looks a bit weak so I hope our hitters take advantage.
Attached Images

Last edited by Argonaut; 11-04-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #87
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1987 WORLD SERIES: TEXAS RANGERS WIN!

We've done it! We've swept the Cardinals and won the 1987 World Series, the 2nd in Texas's history after our triumph in 1979.

We also finally managed to win the World Series with our 1980s roster restrictions (only real-life Texas Rangers allowed). And after some heartbreaking playoff losses year after year.

The 1st inning of Game 2 brought some more magic. Jose Canseco (again!) hit a grand slam from the cleanup spot to start the game. What are the odds of that twice in the playoffs? He also tied the real-life playoff RBI record of 21, set by David Freese in 2011. Wait, what happened in 2011? Oh ya...

Even still, Will Clark was the MVP of both the ALCS and the World Series. He hit over .400 so it's well deserved I'm sure.

There was some drama in both Game 3 and Game 4 as St Louis had a chance to come back in the bottom of the 9th. Stopper Tom Henke helped seal the deal and cemented his legend in Rangers history with a sterling ~1 ERA in the 1987 postseason.

All-in-all we've reached our goal, and I'm happy to do it with a fresh look after not playing this dynasty for a while. I have a bonus post after this, then will pop in from time to time with Rangers players that have been elected to the Hall of Fame. Other than that, this dynasty has run its course in the current year-to-year format.

Thanks for reading!
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 11-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #88
Argonaut
All Star Starter

GOOSE GOSSAGE: PLAYOFF CHOKER

I wanted to take a look at Goose Gossage, who for some reason always seemed to blow it in the postseason at the worst time. He's definitely the most infamous player in this dynasty. I've attached his regular season and postseason statistics for comparison.

As you can see, Goose sports an excellent 2.60 ERA in the regular season. That's better than his 2.88 ERA he had up until 1987 in real life. He's also put up a 184 ERA+ and 28.2 WAR. I'm not sure what the threshold will be for relief pitchers getting into the Hall of Fame in OOTP, but with all those Reliever of the Year awards he should be in the conversation.

Meanwhile, in the playoffs... Goose has a whopping 7.84 ERA! He was truly awful, nearly every year. He couldn't be trusted for more than a few innings in an entire playoffs, sometimes even a few batters. Yes, 31 innings is a small sample size, and .429 BABIP is unlucky. But how it felt during managing all those games was that he was going to blow it every time. He was actually good in limited action in 79/81/82, but I don't even remember that because of all the blowups.

Goose is certainly an interesting part of the story. You've got to have a bit of adversity in a storyline though, right? Winning all the time isn't that exciting. You need to have the downs, to make the ups feel that much better.

Anyway, as I said before... thanks for reading and we'll see you again when someone makes the Hall of Fame.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 11-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #89
Argonaut
All Star Starter

FERGIE JENKINS ELECTED TO HALL OF FAME

Big news in Texas, as the Rangers have their first ever player elected to the Hall of Fame! He's in on his 1st year of eligibility, with 99.3% of the vote. I guess one or two guys left him off the ballot for some reason.

Very fitting that Fergie is the first guy with a "T" cap to get in, as I traded for him in the first season of my dynasty and he immediately became our first big name in the rotation. He also is (and was) the first Canadian in the Hall, which is cool because that's my country too. As I started in 1972, he kept his 1971 Cy Young with the Cubs, and sadly didn't win another. But a lot of his stats were better than real life.

Real Life Fergie Jenkins: 284-226, 4500 IP, 3.34 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 3192 K, 84.2 bWAR, 80.1 fWAR, 67.8 JAWS
Dynasty Fergie Jenkins: 284-204, 4462 IP, 3.02 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, 3119 K, 109.6 bWAR, 99.3 fWAR, 84.1 JAWS

Funny he had the same 284 Wins total, but his rate stats with me were much better. Likely owing to a solid defense most of the time. His JAWS score especially benefitted from his great career with Texas. Glad he improved upon his real-life totals and became a near unanimous Hall of Famer!

Also, you'll see in the voting that Jon Matlack netted 40.4% in his 1st year on the ballot. It'll be an uphill climb, but we'll see if we can get him in too.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 11-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #90
majormet
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
FERGIE JENKINS ELECTED TO HALL OF FAME

Big news in Texas, as the Rangers have their first ever player elected to the Hall of Fame! He's in on his 1st year of eligibility, with 99.3% of the vote. I guess one or two guys left him off the ballot for some reason.

Very fitting that Fergie is the first guy with a "T" cap to get in, as I traded for him in the first season of my dynasty and he immediately became our first big name in the rotation. He also is (and was) the first Canadian in the Hall, which is cool because that's my country too. As I started in 1972, he kept his 1971 Cy Young with the Cubs, and sadly didn't win another. But a lot of his stats were better than real life.

Real Life Fergie Jenkins: 284-226, 4500 IP, 3.34 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 3192 K, 84.2 bWAR, 80.1 fWAR, 67.8 JAWS
Dynasty Fergie Jenkins: 284-204, 4462 IP, 3.02 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, 3119 K, 109.6 bWAR, 99.3 fWAR, 84.1 JAWS

Funny he had the same 284 Wins total, but his rate stats with me were much better. Likely owing to a solid defense most of the time. His JAWS score especially benefitted from his great career with Texas. Glad he improved upon his real-life totals and became a near unanimous Hall of Famer!

Also, you'll see in the voting that Jon Matlack netted 40.4% in his 1st year on the ballot. It'll be an uphill climb, but we'll see if we can get him in too.
Jenkins had a big drug problem at some point that took him off course in real life.

Matlack, was never the same after taking a line drive off his head off the bat of Dusty Baker IRL... he was effective but never had that promise after his rookie year.
majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #91
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1990 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS

We ended up beating the Mets in the 1990 World Series, which is nice because we've lost to them before. The real excitement came in the ALCS against the Blue Jays though, as Jose Canseco won it in Game 7 with a walk off home run in the bottom of the 10th! One of those great baseball moments.

Gaylord Perry was a no doubt Hall of Famer, but I won't highlight his stats or his plaque out of shame for him picking the Giants over the Rangers. The game loves 99.6% or 99.3% or whatever ballots. If I ever do this concept again I'll know to pick up guys like him earlier. Maybe even start with the Washington Senators before they move to Texas.

Some interesting takeaways from the rest of the voting though. It looks like Jon Matlack will fall short of the Hall of Fame, and very likely because his real life career was just not long enough. That, and because he never won the Cy Young, although he probably should have once or twice in my universe.

And also, Al Oliver has a decent shot at election, which would mark another Rangers plaque in the HoF that I kind of forgot about. He was only a few hits short of 3,000... which if I had noticed I could have done something about in his last season. Oh well.

I've played to the point where Bert Blyleven and Nolan Ryan have retired. Wondering if Ryan can get 100% of the vote? He got even more strikeouts than in real life, and has a godly amount of WAR in my universe.

Even with the 1990 World Series win I've been pretty unlucky overall in the playoffs. Lost in 1991/92/93 despite winning the usual 100+ games.
Attached Images
Image Image Image