Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2022, 04:11 PM   #1
20_range
All Star Reserve

Independent Quebec/ Texas

Is there a way to separate an existing region and make it into a new nation? Say it's 2025 and Quebec has become independent by referendum, or in this particular world Texas or Yucatan remained independent.

thanks.
20_range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20_range View Post
Is there a way to separate an existing region and make it into a new nation? Say it's 2025 and Quebec has become independent by referendum, or in this particular world Texas or Yucatan remained independent.

thanks.
Yes, with some substantial editing to the world_default.xml file. You would have to create the new nation, then edit all the existing town entries to switch them to that new country. And add a flag Name:  tx.png
Views: 305
Size:  3.2 KB
Dogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:25 AM   #3
20_range
All Star Reserve

Thanks, that sounds very time consuming and difficult. Maybe I will try it with somewhere small like the Virgin Islands to see if it is worth it. You'd need to use an editing program?

The shortcut, which I've been doing, is to simply decide/believe/write that these entities are now separate and go from there ��
Old 11-20-2022, 05:06 AM   #4
Dogzilla
Major Leagues

I wouldn't try to tackle a large XML file without an editor...something simple and free/cheap, like XML Fox or Notepad++ works fine.
Dogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:41 AM   #5
tm1681
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzilla View Post
I wouldn't try to tackle a large XML file without an editor...something simple and free/cheap, like XML Fox or Notepad++ works fine.
Seconding this.

I love Notepad++ if for no other reason than that if you do actual XML editing on it the program will color-code things for you and do lots of little things to make working on a file much easier on the eyes.

I've been using it myself for about ten years, not just on XML files but on regular text files as well because it's far superior to Notepad.
tm1681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:27 AM   #6
FleetWalker
Minors (Double A)

So, I wrote a python script that does this.

The primary purpose of the script is to build an OOTP world file from raw data (Geonames.org and US Census Bureau). However, the script is designed so that once you have the data, you can turn any state into a nation. I did that to deal with England, Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland, and two Portuguese states that the game has as separate entities. However, the program can separate out any state. I plan someday to modify it so you can also turn regions into nations (e.g., create the New England Republic or whatever).

Like I said, it was intended to work with fresh data because there are a bunch of inaccuracies in the existing world file, and many of the population figures were somewhat stale. However, the program doesn't really care where the data comes from, so I modified it to pull data from the original world file that came with the game. I believe this file should have Quebec & Texas separated out as nations. https://www.mediafire.com/file/ojbkb...fault.xml/file

Caveats.
1. I HAVEN'T DONE EXTENSIVE TESTING OF THIS FILE. I loaded it into a game, and Texas and Quebec show up in the Nations List. Please use it in a test DB first. There is a good chance it may break something. I'm not sure what happens if you try to use this with an existing save.

2. The program doesn't know what the provincial/state capital is so it simply chooses the biggest city as the capital (Houston & Montreal); when the program pulls data from the outside sources it actually does keep track of state capitals, but the OOTP data doesn't record it.

3. The program grabs baseball quality, demonym and name-file (ethnicity) information from the original nation. That's likely going to off a bit for Texas and quite a lot for Quebec. Realistically, you should change the ethnicity distributions for Canada and the United States to reflect the fact that Quebec and Texas are on their own. That's potentially on the to do list for the United States and maybe Canada, but that information isn't readily available for the rest of the world.

3. The program adds the original nation as a second nation to the newly "liberated" state, which may or may not be desired.

4. The program does make sure there isn't a conflict between Nation ids, but I haven't done that for nation abbreviations. I will need to play with that so it can find the appropriate flag files. It isn't an issue in this case because the existing nations all use 3 character abbreviations.

5. The program is supposed to clean up the regions to reflect the new nations, but I only eye-balled this to make sure it was working.

5. All of the Korean Language tags are stripped out. It's tricky to deal with those characters, and I was mostly doing this for me, but I am sorry for everyone who would like to use the file but needs the Korean Characters.
FleetWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #7
20_range
All Star Reserve

Wow. That is exactly what I was looking for, except for the part where it is too scary to use in an existing save! Of course, I understand... I may start a test new game and just separate out several staes/provinces to see what works. Or the next time I start a dynasty, I will start from the beginning with a Balkanized North America
*having the current nationality as the second nation is honestly helpful to what I would be doing (recent independence), but I am sure there are people who want an independent Texas say back to the 1840s for whom it might be irritating
Old 12-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #8
FleetWalker
Minors (Double A)

It's probably fine, but I just wanted to be clear that I've never tried it with a saved game.

Let me know, I can give you a file with the whole of CAN and USA Balkanized if you want; or MEX too for that matter. I even have the flags!

-Eric
Old 12-09-2022, 08:57 PM   #9
20_range
All Star Reserve

If you're offering!

My save right now (because I like to get weird and spend a lot of time on wikipedia) has an independent: Quebec, Nunavut, Manitoba, Texas, Oklahoma (presuming certain treaties were respected), Yucatan (this would include modern Quintana Roo, too, but that seems difficult) and the Miskito Nation (modern autonomous region of Nicaragua).

The game does a good job of making places like Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands independent.

And you have got me thinking of ways to further expand my pocket universe, thank you !
Old 12-09-2022, 09:46 PM   #10
FleetWalker
Minors (Double A)

Try this. https://www.mediafire.com/file/7xo89...range.xml/file

It didn't immediately crash the game when I tried starting a world with it, so you should be able to get that far at least. :-)

I'm still working on the piece that will turn regions into Nations, so I moved Quintana Roo by hand and and just adjusted Mexico's population manually. Also the new Nation is called Yucatan, but it's a simple thing to rename it.

Miskito Nation defeated me, however, as I don't think that autonomous region is in the default world file.

As I mentioned, the program just copies over the ethnic distribution of the old parent nation, so you'll probably want to adjust those—-especially for QC, NU, and Yucatan. Along with stuff like denonyms etc.

Let me know if it works (or totally messes stuff up). I play with the world file creator more than I play the game at the moment.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:16 PM   #11
20_range
All Star Reserve

Thanks! I will try it out in a branched version of my save file. Is it easy to change flags? There are a lot of fan-made new flag proposals that I have looking at t the sitehttps://vexillology.fandom.com/wiki/Vexillology_Wiki that I have looked at.

Recently I have been making amateur, even infantile, logos for this game. Let me know if you have a project I could work on in return
Old 12-10-2022, 04:11 PM   #12
FleetWalker
Minors (Double A)

It is easy to change/add flags, and I almost uploaded a zipped version with the flags. Just save the image to flag database/nation_flags folder with the filename XXX.png where XXX is the abbreviation of the "country." Wikipedia has most current subnational flags.

My current project is a CT town promotion-relegation league where each of Connecticut's 169 towns has a team. Trying to decide whether to leave out Union (population 741) or add Southwick, MA so that it's an even number.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:31 PM   #13
20_range
All Star Reserve

Lol lmk if you need a logo for something like the New Haven Clams or the Bridgeport Abandoned Beachhouses