Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #41
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward1 View Post
this is great stuff. I had the opposite experience basically where I bought FM on a downswing from OOTP and went into it head-first not knowing anything about formations, skills, anything, I'd watched matches on TV at least but knew nothing about soccer. Now, I'm a soccer and FM fanatic.

OOTP will be possibly harder to get a handle on if you don't know baseball, I'd recommend watching some of the World Series this week if you can to try and learn the game itself
See, I don't quite get that. Because, to me, football is a pretty simple game and I can win everything from the Premiership to the European Cups with a team no-one has ever even heard of in FM. But, then, I have played FM for like - forever. That's 20 years if you count all the versions when the game was still called Championship Manager. And it's quite likely that I've totally forgotten any confusion I probably had way back then.
MrMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #42
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
By the way, it's Red Sox even though Socks is the correct spelling, of course. Both the Boston and Chicago teams in our American League (which, along with the National League, comprises Major League Baseball) choose to spell the word with an "x" as in the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox. I don't know why.
Why the Red Sox aren't the Red Socks.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #43
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
Outstanding link. Also explains why you people can't spell honour correctly (and pretty much every other word with a weak inflection 'u' (colour)), Oh and two things before you guys jump down my throat for that comment:

1. It's called ENGLISH for a reason.
2. I'm just messing with you.

*A strange variety of Dictionaries are sold in vast numbers in this country INCLUDING "Webster's English Dictionary" (originally published by the guy mentioned in your link), "Collins' English Dictionary" (a Scottish guy) and "Chambers Dictionary" (probably the best single volume English Dictionary there is - used for the official world Scrabble contest rules) amongst the foremost. But the definitive, and ridiculously HUGE (it comprises 20 volumes), Oxford English Dictionary is generally treated as law, is updated yearly, and includes definitions for "American English".

"The Oxford English Dictionary (OED), published by the Oxford University Press, is by a considerable margin the largest dictionary of the English language. Work began on the dictionary in 1857[2]:103–4,112 but it was not until 1884 that it started to be published in unbound fascicles as work continued on the project under the name A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles; Founded Mainly on the Materials Collected by The Philological Society.[3]:169 In 1895, the title The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) was first used[4] unofficially on the covers of the series and in 1928 the full dictionary was republished in ten bound volumes. In 1933, it fully replaced the name in all occurrences to The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) in its reprinting as twelve volumes with a one volume supplement[4] and more supplements came over the years until in 1989 when the second edition was published in twenty volumes.[4] As of 24 March 2011, the editors had completed the third edition from M to Ryvita. With descriptions for approximately 750,000 words, the Oxford English Dictionary is the world's most comprehensive single-language print dictionary according to the Guinness Book of World Records."

"The OED is the focus of much scholarly work about English words. Its headword variant spellings order list influences written English in English-speaking countries."

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-23-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #44
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMuse View Post
Outstanding link. Also explains why you people can't spell honour correctly

Language is a living organic creature, and it changes in ways to suit the people who speak it. In that way, it can never be incorrect, as long as the majority of people decide on they think is correct.

You want to live someplace where they take the notion of what's correct in language seriously like a heart attack? You want to live in France, then.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #45
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Red Sux, not Red Sox.
Come talk to me when your team wins the World Series.
slugga27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #46
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Language is a living organic creature, and it changes in ways to suit the people who speak it. In that way, it can never be incorrect, as long as the majority of people decide on they think is correct.

You want to live someplace where they take the notion of what's correct in language seriously like a heart attack? You want to live in France, then.
I see my edit was too slow. Hilarious. (it should also be noted that anything in English that isn't mainstream English is generally referred to as a "dialect" or even "slang" rather than a "language".).

*di·a·lect
(noun)
"a variety of a language that is distinguished from other varieties of the same language by features of phonology, grammar, and vocabulary, and by its use by a group of speakers who are set off from others geographically or socially." also "a language considered as one of a group that have a common ancestor".

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-23-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #47
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Heh, I hope you stick around, Mr. Muse. I find you quite aMuseing.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #48
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Heh, I hope you stick around, Mr. Muse. I find you quite aMuseing.
Bru, you are beMused!
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #49
zoomzilla
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Outstanding link. Also explains why you people can't spell honour correctly (and pretty much every other word with a weak inflection 'u' (colour)), Oh and two things before you guys jump down my throat for that comment:

1. It's called ENGLISH for a reason.
2. I'm just messing with you.

*A strange variety of Dictionaries are sold in vast numbers in this country INCLUDING "Webster's English Dictionary" (originally published by the guy mentioned in your link), "Collins' English Dictionary" (a Scottish guy) and "Chambers Dictionary" (probably the best single volume English Dictionary there is - used for the official world Scrabble contest rules) amongst the foremost. But the definitive, and ridiculously HUGE (it comprises 20 volumes), Oxford English Dictionary is generally treated as law, is updated yearly, and includes definitions for "American English".

"The Oxford English Dictionary (OED), published by the Oxford University Press, is by a considerable margin the largest dictionary of the English language. Work began on the dictionary in 1857[2]:103–4,112 but it was not until 1884 that it started to be published in unbound fascicles as work continued on the project under the name A New English Dictionary on Historical Principles; Founded Mainly on the Materials Collected by The Philological Society.[3]:169 In 1895, the title The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) was first used[4] unofficially on the covers of the series and in 1928 the full dictionary was republished in ten bound volumes. In 1933, it fully replaced the name in all occurrences to The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) in its reprinting as twelve volumes with a one volume supplement[4] and more supplements came over the years until in 1989 when the second edition was published in twenty volumes.[4] As of 24 March 2011, the editors had completed the third edition from M to Ryvita. With descriptions for approximately 750,000 words, the Oxford English Dictionary is the world's most comprehensive single-language print dictionary according to the Guinness Book of World Records."

"The OED is the focus of much scholarly work about English words. Its headword variant spellings order list influences written English in English-speaking countries."
I want an OED soooooo bad but alas, 2200 bucks is out of my price range- though they do sell a micro OED with magnifying glass I've considered. Also, if you don't like the American audience you can play Out of the park Rounders... wait, no you can't. Get used to it chap.
zoomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #50
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

@zoomzilla: You quote my post but did you actually read it? Because you clearly missed point 2. there. Well there's always the Concise Oxford English Dictionary (which costs what I imagine is around $15) if you ever want to learn to speak and write correctly in English. In the meantime I'll enjoy the show .

Some people have no sense of humour (see the two U's there? Sweet huh?) [huh as a question; pure Americanism, sweet meaning 'good' (as in "the sweet spot"); also pure Americanism].
In all seriousness I couldn't argue with what chucksabr wrote because it's true and variety in language is all part of its beauty. I just don't mind fkn with people when they jump at me. [couldn't resist this but: fkn with someone and "fk u": You would logically think those were good things right? If someone rages at me in an online game my usual response to the latter is something like "thanks for the offer but you aren't my type" - this often gives rise to the "huh?" response.]

p.s. I'm not English. Calling a Welsh person English is like calling a person from Belgium French or a Canadian American. So I can hardly be biased.

American writer and novelist Dorothy Parker was famous for being able to make witty comments in response to even a single word. One Time she was challenged to say something witty about the word "horticulture" by a journalist. She quickly responded "You can lead a whore-t(o)-culture but you can't teach her manners".

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-23-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #51
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Mr Muse:

You will find that you have some traditional tried and true English (language)...errrr Welsh allies from the Commonwealth in the Canadian players/posters on this site.
Honour, colour etc. And most of use HP sauce! We do however add "eh?" to every conversational point that we make and some my Montreal Expos friends may still hold allegiance to Louis-Joseph de Montcalm.

Nonetheless,

God Save the Queen

Last edited by '94 EXPOS; 10-24-2013 at 01:23 AM.
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #52
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '94 EXPOS View Post
Mr Muse:

God Save the Queen
Hmm, can't say as I like her so much any more. I'm out of work and she uses way too much of my toilet paper every time she comes to visit.

You've seen Braveheart right? Of course you have...everyone has. What people outside of the UK fail to realise is that most British people who are not English despise them as a nation whether they have English friends or not. Whilst American history swings both ways between Oppressor and Freedom Fighter, historically the English have been just Oppressors. [and never more so than since they forced our current idiot PM upon us]

But I appreciate your support all the same.

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-24-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #53
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Mr. Muse, I await the dynasty thread of your first All-Wales Baseball League. One of the most intriguing aspects of this league will be whether you can squeeze some of these place names into the slots allotted for team locations in OOTPB! I know, however, that you will spell them all correctly, for sure.
Attached Images

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #54
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Look towards the bottom of that map...Neath and Swansea. That's where I live.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #55
wildcatrevival
Minors (Single A)

Loved this post. Interesting read.

If you are looking for history and story as a way to understand baseball, I highly recommend the documentaries Ken Burns' Baseball. I have no idea if they are available in Wales, but they made a baseball fan out of my girlfriend who had zero baseball knowledge going into it.

To me, the appeal of baseball (and OOTP as well) is its sense of history and its susceptibility to narrative.
wildcatrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #56
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Unless it's people using text language on forum posts, emails and such in which case they should be rounded up and put on an island somewhere we can forget about them.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #57
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mr. Muse, I await the dynasty thread of your first All-Wales Baseball League. One of the most intriguing aspects of this league will be whether you can squeeze some of these place names into the slots allotted for team locations in OOTPB! I know, however, that you will spell them all correctly, for sure.
However he'd have to keep to the short version of this village in Wales, OOTP would have an heart attack watching him type this village in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch
Old 10-29-2013, 02:51 AM   #58
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm, can't say as I like her so much any more. I'm out of work and she uses way too much of my toilet paper every time she comes to visit.

You've seen Braveheart right? Of course you have...everyone has. What people outside of the UK fail to realise is that most British people who are not English despise them as a nation whether they have English friends or not. Whilst American history swings both ways between Oppressor and Freedom Fighter, historically the English have been just Oppressors. [and never more so than since they forced our current idiot PM upon us]

But I appreciate your support all the same.
I wouldn't take Braveheart on so much, a film made by a man who as a clear hatred of England and a film that would have the same historical content if Stallone or Arnie had played the main role even the battle scenes had no historical value. And as for Wallace himself being portrayed as a common man when he was a landowner and well educated who used to hang men if they didn't join him, then you get the idea of its lack of historical content and this coming from someone born in Ireland to an Irish father anyway I digress.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #59
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatrevival View Post
Loved this post. Interesting read.

If you are looking for history and story as a way to understand baseball, I highly recommend the documentaries Ken Burns' Baseball. I have no idea if they are available in Wales, but they made a baseball fan out of my girlfriend who had zero baseball knowledge going into it.

To me, the appeal of baseball (and OOTP as well) is its sense of history and its susceptibility to narrative.
You can get them over here, think I got mine from Amazon. Used to be a great bookshop in Manchester that supplied any baseball book you wanted but think they closed because of Amazon taking most of their custom, Amazon takes care of most baseball needs though. I do however miss going into that bookshop and also a shop in Liverpool that closed down that used to sell baseball cards, programmes and such but mostly miss being able to talk to someone face to face about baseball and such.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #60
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I recommend tat you ready my dynasty report and nothing else! It is currently in hibernation. I am totally immersed in CK II at the moment but I'll be back.

You always come back to OOTP.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I quite enjoyed it. Especially the lunatic asylum part. HA! I'm sure there's a politically correct way to call someone a nut-job.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 10-29-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote