Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FHM 6 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 03-29-2020, 05:00 AM   #1
Tommysixfingers
All Star Starter

Roles - Help me out a bit

I need a bit of help in understanding the use of roles here. Explain it like you would to the kids at home.

In the roster/player screen you can see what major role is attached to a certain player. You also have the possibility to change it. On my Preds Forsberg is set as an offensive forward.

Now, is there anyway for me to see what he prefers aside from looking at his ratings? It's clear that he wouldn't be that succesful as an enforcer but his rated high as a goalscorer also.

Then you have the tactical roles in the lines-setup-screen. If I look there, my coach has Forsberg as a perimeter shooter, a tactical role within the goalscorer major role, and not as a tactical role within his set major role as an offensive forward. Why is that?

To be honest, Forsberg is better suited as a Perimeter shooter than a dangler or a speedy forward (the tactical role attached to the Offensive forward Major role). Should I change his major role to better match with how the coach uses him on a line? Is there a benefit in doing that or a penalty if you set a tactical role outside of a players major role on the team?

All over the place here but if someone could explain i to me it would be much appreciated. Or point me in the right direction if there already exists a thread/post that goes in to the details. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Tommysixfingers; 03-29-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Tommysixfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
Colorado
Major Leagues

The tactical side of the game is pretty vague and except for their game ratings, which in itself are somewhat vague, it's pretty much impossible to gauge what is or isn't working and why.

From the best of my knowledge, there is no way to see a players preferred 'major role' and I think you are right to set it based on his attributes.

You can have a player set to any 'tactical role' regardless of his 'major role' setting which is why you are able to set him to a role outside of his 'major role'.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of it is that the 'major role' and 'tactical role' and not related. The 'major role' is what you consider his general role is on the team to be, the 'tactical role' is his function within the team's tactical system. I don't think it's an issue for them to be contradictory even though it doesn't necessarily make sense to us - I could be wrong however.

You post is a good question and highlights the lack of clarity around the tactical side of the game, which needs to be improved moving forward.

It would be good if someone involved with the game could give some insight here.
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
Tommysixfingers
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
You can have a player set to any 'tactical role' regardless of his 'major role' setting which is why you are able to set him to a role outside of his 'major role'.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of it is that the 'major role' and 'tactical role' and not related. The 'major role' is what you consider his general role is on the team to be, the 'tactical role' is his function within the team's tactical system. I don't think it's an issue for them to be contradictory even though it doesn't necessarily make sense to us - I could be wrong however.
Ok, thanks. Is there some sort of penalty for playing a major role goalscorer as a tactical role enforcer? A weak enforcer rating obviously but does it affect anything else?

Also, how does a weak game rating affect a player? A goalscorer playing regularly as an enforcer would have a constant low game rating i imagine.
Tommysixfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
SR000
Minors (Single A)

I believe the major roles are left over from a previous version of the game and I read the developers somewhere said it isn't as much a factor now.
SR000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
Colorado
Major Leagues

That's a bit disappointing if true. Just creates confusion and misleads people over an aspect of the game which isn't exactly straightforward
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote