Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:43 AM   #1
josef4
Bat Boy

Question Worth it?

I love hockey and was looking for a gm mode game (with real players) before I stumbled across this. I have a Mac and on the app store, FHM 5 costs $55. I also realized that FHM 4 & 3 are listed at $30ish. So I was wondering if this game is basically only good for a year? Like can you not update the players or something after the new one comes out and is $50 really worth it?
josef4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:33 AM   #2
josef4
Bat Boy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef4 View Post
I love hockey and was looking for a gm mode game (with real players) before I stumbled across this. I have a Mac and on the app store, FHM 5 costs $55. I also realized that FHM 4 & 3 are listed at $30ish. So I was wondering if this game is basically only good for a year? Like can you not update the players or something after the new one comes out and is $50 really worth it?
Also, can someone please list the pros and cons of EHM vs FHM? thanks
Old 12-16-2018, 05:33 AM   #3
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

If you're on a budget, EHM is a solid pickup. There are some solid mods available that make the game's lack of real support, bearable. Overall, I feel FHM 5 is the better overall game and deeper. The game is on sale periodically if you don't want to pay full price. Likely will go on sale around Christmas in fact. The biggest perk to this game is it's fantastic support by the developers and community. Generally, if you have a question or concern, either Jeff (the game producer), Adam (the community manager), or someone within the forums will answer your question within a day.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:20 AM   #4
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you spend $50 and play 500 hours on it, how much is a hour of fun? Of course, only you know your finances, but to me, $50 for a game (video or board game) that gives you hundreds of hours of fun it's a no brainer.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, can someone please list the pros and cons of EHM vs FHM? thanks
EHM is a terrific game, no one is denying that. To me, it has two cons. The first of course is that the game is a one-man show, and that man works on FM, thus the support is limited. And the second con is that some of its concept (mainly the CA/PA thing for players development) are out of date. Pros are that the gameplay is solid and that European leagues are well modeled.

FHM has a terrific support from the devs and community (well, the EHM community is smaller, but very supportive) and a better logic between players development, that it was good in the first FHM iterations, now it has evoluted and it's much better. Subjectively, the cons mainly lie behind the fact that European play is behind North American leagues in terms of gameplay development (and mostly, transfers and finances), nothing that won't allow you to play (I almost never play in the NHL), but some moments are a bit annoying if you look too much into it.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Historical

EHM doesn't do historical and the last time I checked doesn't work all that well on a mac. FHM 5 Historical mode is a freakin' blast. The modern mode is excellent too.. but if you're a huge hockey fan and want to replay some teams from when you were younger, Historical is a lot of fun.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
eldur00
All Star Reserve

If you want to play modern day, I'd go with FHM5. If you're like me and all you care about is historical, I'd pick up FHM4 as there was no real improvements to historical in the newer version (unless you want to play random debut, which is a feature that was added in FHM5).
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
josef4
Bat Boy

Jheez guys thanks so much! I'm def going with FHM now.

I'm not necessarily on a budget but I'm 16 and like spending my money accordingly. I'm not much of a gamer and don't often get that much spare time to play in the first place so I don't want to flush out $50 if I only play it a couple times. That being said, do y'all think the game will come on sale (on the app store (i've got a mac)- or somewhere else) during Christmas time? I'm willing to wait a week.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Jheez guys thanks so much! I'm def going with FHM now.

I'm not necessarily on a budget but I'm 16 and like spending my money accordingly. I'm not much of a gamer and don't often get that much spare time to play in the first place so I don't want to flush out $50 if I only play it a couple times. That being said, do y'all think the game will come on sale (on the app store (i've got a mac)- or somewhere else) during Christmas time? I'm willing to wait a week.
I'm sure it will....FHM 4 did last year around Christmas.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

It's $10 on Steam RIGHT NOW!!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

If you were still on the fence about it, can't go wrong getting the game for $10. It's a lot more affordable and worth it at that price when you're unsure. I've personally enjoyed it a lot more compared to 4, due to a lot of changes and improvements in visuals, the UI, and the fictional mode. Plus historical is still a really fun ride to go through.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
Grimmas
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord PichuPal View Post
If you were still on the fence about it, can't go wrong getting the game for $10. It's a lot more affordable and worth it at that price when you're unsure. I've personally enjoyed it a lot more compared to 4, due to a lot of changes and improvements in visuals, the UI, and the fictional mode. Plus historical is still a really fun ride to go through.
I have a question about historical mode. The previous version I had was FHM2, in that there was no other leagues besides NHL/WHA. All your prospects didn't play anywhere (but still developed). Is this still the case?
Grimmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:09 AM   #13
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmas View Post
I have a question about historical mode. The previous version I had was FHM2, in that there was no other leagues besides NHL/WHA. All your prospects didn't play anywhere (but still developed). Is this still the case?

Yes. Even though they have the visual representation of the farm teams like the AHL and that players will accrue stats, there is no calendar per say or anything like that. Also, prospects entering the draft pool have no stats accrued anywhere either.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #14
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Not sure, still a lot of bugs
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #15
Gagnonp23
Minors (Single A)

for 10$ right now… definitaly Worth it
Gagnonp23 is offline   Reply With Quote