Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

Substitution problem

I substituted a pinch hitter for my pitcher.

I accidentally chose his position as pitcher while still in the substitution screen. I closed the substitution screen and realized my mistake.

I then went back into the substitution screen, before the batter actually batted, and changed his defensive position from pitcher to "-".

Then I went back into the broadcast screen and continued playing the game.

The player batted, causing the last out. My team was then in the field.

I then tried to substitute an actual pitcher for him in the field. The game would not let me replace that pinch hitter with a pitcher. In other words, that pinch hitter was locked into the lineup, not being able to be replaced by a pitcher.

What I was able to do was substitute my pitcher for a different batter in a different lineup spot.

This seems to be remnants from an old problem about a pitcher needing to pitch at least one pitch (consistent with MLB rules?), which has been resolved. The fact that I was able to substitute a pitcher into a different lineup spot reveals that the "pitcher must throw at least one pitch" was not entirely preventing what I wanted (because it was fixed in an earlier version). However, some code remnants were still preventing that pinch hit batter from being replaced by a pitcher.

The remnant code must have somehow marked the pinch hitter permanently as a pitcher either as soon as I chose pitcher as his position or when I exited the substitutions screen. That marking should occur only when game action actually occurs, as a pitch is thrown.

Preferably when my team throws a pitch, rather than the opposing team (while I am still batting). On the surface, this might seem this violates the MLB rules about a pitcher throwing at least one pitch. However, a real-life MLB manager has the ability to make lineup changes with the umpire between the last out and first pitch thrown. OOTP doesn't give me that option in-game (and shouldn't need to under normal circumstances). The fact that I had switched the pinch hitters position from "p" to "-" would have occurred during the time I was going back and forth between the game and substitution screen, virtually simulating my conversation with a real-life umpire about lineup changes.

Solution: While a team is on offense, if a player's defensive position switches from pitcher to something else, undo the "sticky" pitcherness of the batter, if he has not yet pitched in the game. In other words, allow a game user to set a defensive position to pitcher, then undo that decision if no batting or pitching has occurred.

Words more pertinent to algorithm and coding:
If the game requires a pitcher substitution to pitch at least one pitch, do not force the "stickiness of pitching" lock-in when the game user chooses the defensive pitching. But rather, force that lock-in at the first actual game action. So that a game user may change back and forth between pitcher and batter as many times as desired before a single pitch is thrown in the game.

Not providing a league file because this bug should be easily simulated and revealed in any game universe.

Last edited by jmknpk2; 11-18-2017 at 04:58 PM.
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

A pitcher needs to pitch to one batter, intentionally walk one batter, and/or retire the side, unless removed from the game for injury/ejection.

The game should not have allowed you to change the accidental pitcher's position from P to -.

Real Solution: Do not allow a substitute to enter as pitcher while his team is at bat, unless replacing an injured pitcher. Do not allow a player's position to be changed to pitcher while his team is at bat.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
A pitcher needs to pitch to one batter, intentionally walk one batter, and/or retire the side, unless removed from the game for injury/ejection.

The game should not have allowed you to change the accidental pitcher's position from P to -.

Real Solution: Do not allow a substitute to enter as pitcher while his team is at bat, unless replacing an injured pitcher. Do not allow a player's position to be changed to pitcher while his team is at bat.
In real-life, I guess the moment of no return would be either when the manager informs the umpire of lineup change or when the pitcher touches the rubber.

In our virtual game world, my opinion is that I should be allowed to switch back and forth between the substitutions screen and broadcast screen before reaching the point of no return.

I would prefer the point of no return as when I press the button to throw a pitch or to bat.

Currently the game apparently uses either the moment I choose position as "p" or when I leave the substitutions screen.

I am prompted to confirm substitutions (player replacements).

I am not prompted to confirm positional changes. A typo like mis-click should be allowed to be reversed. Even if it involved indicating a player as pitcher.

And, if the moment of realization of my mistake is when I see the players on the field, I believe the game should allow me to rectify and correct my mistake before a pitch is thrown.

Or, prompt me to confirm pitcher choices because they are somewhat different and special due to the "must throw one pitch" rule. For example: "Are you sure you would like player XYZ to be designated as pitcher? A player designated pitcher must throw at least one pitch. Yes or No?"

Maybe this belongs in future features forum if it is not considered a bug?

Last edited by jmknpk2; 11-20-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #4
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

I am still absolutely, definitely seeing a bug here. Hopefully the following scenario will better illustrate the true problem.

I was in the substitutions screen planning a double substitution. I figured out the lineup spot I wanted the relief pitcher I would be substituting to bat at.

But, while the batter to be replaced, still showed up in that spot (7th I believe), I accidentally, and foolishly (????), switched the position to "p" for pitcher. O.k. I was not perfect. But I am still on the substitutions screen. I have not gone back to the broadcast screen. Why in the world, would I not be allowed to decide the pitching defensive position go anywhere I like, and then 3 seconds later, change my mind?

Aaaarghhh! Now when I try to place my reliever in that spot in the order, it won't.

Ok. we are ahead in the game, I'll live with this annoyance.

I will have my batter throw one single pitch to meet the requirement. Then after that one pitch, I replace him with a true reliever.

I go into Brodcast view. Switch to pitch by pitch mode.

I have my batter throw one "pitch around" pitch. Great. It happened to be a strike.

Now, shouldn't I be able to replace that player with a pitcher in real life?

The batter has thrown his obligatory pitch.

So I go back into the substitutions screen. And I still cannot replace that batter in that lineup spot with a true pitcher.

He's thrown his required pitch. I have not changed any of the defensive positions. All I want to do is replace him into a spot in the lineup, which is already listed as "p" for pitcher. But the game absolutely refuses to allow me to substitute a pitcher for him.

Seems like a definite bug here, unless there is something else I do not understand.

Here is the work-around I used. I left that batter (apparently frozen in stone to remain in the game). I switched his defensive position from "p" to "-". I thought that might allow him to be replaced. No. Cannot replace him with a pitcher, after he's thrown his pitch and his defensive position is listed as "-":

So I change the defensive position of the batter 6th in the lineup to "-". Then I substitute the pitcher into that 6th spot (instead of the 7th where I wanted the pitcher). The game allows me to bring in the reliever. I then set the pitcher's defensive position in the 6th spot as "p".

I change the batter in the 7th spot to "1B" and continue the game.

When I have reached the point where the game allows the batter who threw one pitch already, to return to a defensive position of "1B". And the game allows a pitcher to come in at a different spot in the lineup, I see absolutely no reason that I should not have been able to place the batter in the 7th spot with a reliever.

Crystal clear?

Am I missing something.

Whenever I am in the substitution screen, I need to go far out of my way to make very sure I never set any player's defensive position to "p". Otherwise I get burned.

The game should really allow me to accidentally set a defensive position to "p", and then undo that mistake before I leave the substitutions screen. If I set a guy's position as "SS", I can switch him to "1B", "2B", "3B", "LF", "CF", "RF", "C", and then back to "SS" without any problem. Why would I not be allowed to switch a player's defensive position to "p" (even intentionally and on purpose) and then change my mind while still in the substitution screen?

In my very strong opinion, the requirement that a pitcher must throw a pitch should only get locked in when I leave the substitution screen.

At a minimum, if this delicate "p" designation for defensive position is so important, the game should prompt me "Do you really wish to designate this player as pitcher? He will be required to throw at least one pitch".

And after he has thrown his one pitch, the game should allow me to replace him.

Last edited by jmknpk2; 11-30-2017 at 10:38 PM.