Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
mattlew7062
Minors (Single A)

What is going on in your sim right now?

I'm looking for inspiration to make a new sim. What is going on in your sims right now?
mattlew7062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
DB930
Major Leagues

I just won 93 games and finished 24 games out of first place (1970, so no wild-card ). San Francisco, the team that won 117 games, then lost to an 86-win Pittsburgh team in the LCS. Pittsburgh had a starter throw 8 no-hit innings in Game 2 of the World Series, then get hit in the face while batting in the top of the 9th, and have to leave the game (long live the DH). The Series eventually went 7 games, and the Pirates beat the Twins in 11 innings. An interesting season...
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
bpbrooksy
Minors (Single A)

In my online league...Jefferson City won the championship in 2009 on the back of premiere slugger Artie Wall and some perfectly-timed career years from the pitching staff. We'd won the title in 2005, but that was more good fortune than anything else. 2009 was sort of the culmination of draft picks and good development on my part.

It's the summer of 2010 now and we're in dead last place in the eight-team South league. It never gets any easier, does it?
Old 07-23-2017, 01:22 AM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I just started an MLB Standard Game.

I reduced minors league wide to AAA,AA,A,R,R. In the reduction I moved players off the teams being deleted so they stay in the organizations.

I am waiting to upload it to OOTPmod as a QS. The size of the minors takes some of the fun out of the game.

This week I will take over my Cards and see how well I do.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:42 AM   #5
low
Hall Of Famer

Nothing. I'm waiting for the next patch. Then I'll either start a modern day run with the Brewers or run a historical sim.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:57 AM   #6
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

My World Baseball League (with 2 subleagues/4 divisions with 6 teams each from all around the world) and my European Baseball League are in the off-season.

I'm just about ready to go with my Central European Baseball League (2 subleagues/3 divisions with 6 teams each) and a 200-game schedule.

But at the moment not much else to report
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:04 AM   #7
redranger
All Star Reserve

Finishing my fourth season in my fictional USBL league. After finishing in first the inaugural season and losing first round in the playoffs, second season I got a wild card spot finishing second only to lose first round

The third season was a good one. Won the division and the Mason Dixon Series with quite a few injuries to work through

This fourth year has been a struggle. Healthy for the most part but starting to get some of my young guys to the point of breaking into the bigs and playing really young right now. Finished third in the division at 81-81 missing the playoffs

I am hoping getting some youth quite a bit of playing time pays off I Year five. I have a couple of arms and a couple of everyday players I am really excited about hoping the crack into the roster to start the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
victims_sanction
Minors (Single A)

I'm midway through the 2023 season. The NL has been dominated by the Dodgers and Pirates. They have made the last 6 World Series (Pirates 4 appearances, Dodgers 2) and only lost one (Pirates in 2019). They also faced each other in the last 4 NLCS games.

The American League has been a lot more wide spread a different team every year, but only 1 victory in the last 7 WS (Astros 2019).
victims_sanction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #9
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

I'm about to start the 2019 season with the Boston Red Sox. We made the playoffs in 2017 and 2018 but lost to Cleveland and Houston, respectfully. The Cubs won again in 2017 and the surprisingly good Mariners won in 2018.

I signed SP Chris Sale to a long term deal. I brought SP Shoei Otani over from Japan and ended up signing him to a long term deal. My rotation going in to 2019 is Sale, Price, Otani, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Alex Cobb. I also added CL Zach Britton to my bullpen on a two year deal.

On offense I got 1B Jose Abreau, 3B Todd Frazier and C Austin Hedges in separate deals. 3B Rafael Devers in his second MLB season is an absolute monster. I still have all the regulars like Betts (signed long term), Benintendi, JBJ, Bogaerts (signed long term), Pedroia, Vasquez, and Holt.

Around the league there were some major moves in the off season. Clayton Kershaw went to the Cardinals. Aaron Judge went to Oakland. There's more but I can't remember all of them off the top of my head. I can't wait to start the 2019 season!
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #10
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

Just finished an observational 2003 only replay. Most astounded I've been at an OOTP season. Take into note I'm young Red Sox fan who missed out on the best of the Yankees rivalry.

The regular season ended with both teams winning their last 5 games ending at 99 wins, meaning a tiebreaker game was to be played at Fenway Park. Both teams secured playoff spots so division rights and playoff seedings were on the line.

Down 7-4 in the bottom of the 9th the Sox got to Mo Rivera, and Garciapara walked off with an RBI single, and clinched his team's division for the first time since 95. Were this to be real life I would imagine this would be the most optimistic a Sox fan has felt in a long time.

Skipping ahead, the Sox met the Yankees in the ALCS, much like real life, and like real life the series went 7 games. And like real life, the Sox were in a position to win the game; up 6-3 in the top of the ninth.

Jeter walks--Arroyo comes in to pitch for Embree--Mondesi hits a two run shot--Giambi hits a single.

Then comes the 61 minute rain delay
Two at bats later Jorge Posada hits a go ahead two-run shot. Nick Johnson hits an extra one for good measure.

Sox were as good a case of a dead man walking as any going 3 up and 3 down in the bottom of the ninth. I'm still in disbelief of how amazing this particular sim was.

1st photo is box of game 163, second is game seven.
Attached Images
Image Image 
BradG223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
UKRedSox
Major Leagues

I am running a sim as the Red Sox, but playing the schedule daily.

Currently 63-36 and 11.5 games up on the Yankees. Just finished the weekend series with the Angels and after losing game 1 on Friday 5-4 went on to win games 2 and 3 with scores of 14-5 and 10-4.

Pitching has been excellent this season so far, Price is 13-2 with a 2.52 ERA, Kimbrel 26 saves with a 2.23 ERA and more surprising Steven Wight is 11-3 with a 3.92 ERA
UKRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #12
wishesgrantd
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just started up a recreation of my favorite sim I ever had from OOTP 16. It was my first stats only sim (which I use exclusively since) and my longest sim I'd ever done, and my team was really dominant so for nostalgic purposes I made a new one and started over. 2015 Angels is what I started with. Season just wrapped up and we had to play a game 163 to win the second wild card. Then somehow we went on to win the World Series (shout out to Mike Trout).

Only big move I made all season was trading for Felix Hernandez. Had to give up Matt Shoemaker, Tyler Skaggs, Sean Newcomb, Drew Rucinski, and Eddy Martinez.

In free agency, I need to tackle my catcher spot because the guys currently on the roster combined for a .223 average last season. Looking at Alex Avila and Wilson Ramos. Ianetta missed most of the season and wants 5/$55+ and I can't give it to him.

Also looking at the 2B position. Might be platooning because Josh Rutledge is very good against lefties. Chase Utley, Ben Zobrist, Daniel Murphy, and Howie Kendrick (longshot) are all targets.
wishesgrantd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:10 AM   #13
chickennoodle77
Minors (Double A)

Just entered the all-star break of my fourth season in my fictional universe which dates back to OOTP 16. I play in the GBL which is comprised of four divisions of seven teams each. Only division winners make playoffs at end of season with no wild-cards.

Just had arguably the toughest stretch of the season. Started June 22nd with a 45-27 record and trailing the Morell Maulers by a half game out of first. Proceeded to have four series against the Pryorsburg Dragons (38-22 Colossal Division Leader), Alfreton Anacondas (44-26 Mountainous Division Leader, Season 1 and 2 Champion), Morell Maulers (45-26 Mammoth Division Leader) and the Hogsmeade Hulks (37-34 division foe and defending World Champion). Twelve game set started off well with a sweep of the Dragons and taking 2 of 3 from the Anacondas before proceeding to get humbled by Morell. Luckily we shook off the dust to sweep the Hulks to go into the break but now sit 1.5 games back.

My Aardvarks, the Hulks, and Dragons were each awarded with two all-star nominations. The Anacondas registered six while the Maulers landed a total of nine. Thinking we may be in a dog fight the throughout the second half of season...
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by chickennoodle77; 07-26-2017 at 12:12 AM.
chickennoodle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:23 AM   #14
GunnyB
Minors (Triple A)

I'm in year 8 of an expansion team and have yet to post a winning season.
Two years ago I finished with 70 something wins for my best year yet.

I just traded away the reigning Rookie of the Year for a hand full of pitching prospects.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:27 AM   #15
22tbrads22
Minors (Double A)

Have won 6 world series' in the past 9 years with the cubs but have never won 3 in a row. this off season I was forced to part ways via free agency with Blake snell who was coming off a Cy young season and Carlos rodon who finished 3rd in the CY young. went from a projected 106 wins to 82 this off season and i've got my work cut out for me if I want to finally get that 3-peat that has alluded me for almost a decade.
22tbrads22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #16
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

in the year 2055 and trying hard to get back into World Series and win one GRRR feeling like the Braves of the 90s. As one other poster said I have made my team for the season NOT the playoffs
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #17
Matt Uk
Major Leagues

Playing as the 2001 Mets. (19-16 so far) I've just had an unbelievable game in Colorado. 4th game against them having won the first two easily and lost the next by a single run in extra innings.

Scoring in this one went,

2-0
2-4
3-4
3-6
4-6
4-7
5-7
10-7 (Piazza driving in 3 runs with a 2 outs pinch hit HR on what was supposed to be his rest day)
10-11
13-11

after a scoreless 8th it's the top of the 9th

We tack on a run for 14-11

In comes Benitez 7 for 8 saves so far this season

a walk and a home run and it's 14-13

another walk and a single and another walk , bases loaded and now I'm fearing the worst

with the day before going to extra innings my options are very limited so I leave Benitez in

Strikes the next two out, Come on!

Up steps Larry Walker

Walk off GRAND SLAM! I lose 14-16

This after Benitez's exploits in a game about a week earlier. We're in the bottom of the 11th and after my fifth relief pitcher of the night leaves 2 men on with 2 outs I bring in Benitez to finish them off, which he did straight away with a strike out. Into the twelfth and it's all square at 7 apiece still. 2 outs later and Benitez is at the plate. No options left to pinch hit and a tired pen means I opt to let him bat, hoping to keep them scoreless next inning and see if the top of my order can get us the win in the thirteenth.

Up he steps

and launches a home run! Puts us a run ahead.

Bottom of the twelfth, can he see it out?

first man - strike out

then

one, two, three

singles that is as he loads the bases!

Edmunds and McGwire up next

Strikes them both out!! We win 8-7

Got to love this game.
Matt Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #18
JackRules1
Minors (Triple A)

I started a fictional league in 1958 and the file finally went corrupt in 2077. So just started a new fictional league, again in 1958, but with 30 instead of 24 teams.
JackRules1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #19
theox05
Bat Boy

I quite unexpectedly won the NL West and WS as Colorado in 2018. I wasn't really trying as I thought my window of opportunity was 2019-2020-2021, but things sometimes shake out in a crazy manner!

First, the roster. As you might expect, it wasn't too different in 2018 as in 2017.

C Danny Jensen/Reese McGuire (Platooned to see who is better)
1B Rowdy Tellez
2B Carlos Asuje
3B Nolan Arenado
SS Brendan Rogers
LF Raimel Tapia
CF David Dahl
RF Carlos Gonzalez

My rotation was pretty pedestrian:

P Jon Gray
P Lance Lynn (one year rental in FA)
P Trevor Bauer (CLE put him on waivers after a disaster of a season start)
P Luis Cessa
P Tyler Anderson

Notable Bench Players:
Luis Brinson RF (Platooning with Carlos Gonzalez)
Ryan McMahon 1B/3B

Offseason Moves:
If the offseason I was able to resign Carlos for 10 mil with option for a second year.

Traded Trevor Story as his SO rate and OBP are just unacceptable. Got good value as I traded him after an "so-so" 2017 season. Plus Brendan Rogers was ripping through the minors like Mike Tyson through a elementary school bully.

How it Played Out

Pre-season Prediction showed us with 95 wins, with the LAD right behind with 94. However, one month into the season the LAD starting getting hit with the injury bug. Kershaw down for 3 months. Bellinger out for a month or two. The rest of the division is pretty terrible despite SF winning the WS in 2017.

I end up with 105 wins, with Rowdy Tellez tying for the HR lead, Dahl winning the batting title (and putting up a 10.1 WAR), and Arenado leading the league in RBI. I figure, what the hell, probably won't make it, our pitching is pretty weak (Jon Gray ended with a close to 5.00 ERA), but lets play 'em out.

WC Round: LAD loses to CHC.

Divisional: COL over CHC in 5.

I draw STL in the NLCS and I figure there is no way I'm getting through the deadly Wacha-Martinez combo, plus Leake is having a great year. Then I look at their record. They only won 93 games and their batting is abysmal. The Wacha-Martinez-Leake combo has carried them all year!

NLCS: COL over STL in 5
We hammered Leake out of the park, and although Wacha pitched a complete game SO against us in Game 3, we batted well against everything STL put against us. We were unstoppable!

The 2018 World Series: Cleveland Indians vs Colorado Rockies

It must stick in Cleveland's craw that we claimed Trevor Bauer on waivers when they lost faith, only to see him win 17 games with close to 200 SO in Colorado.

Game 5, Colorado up 3 games to 1 with Luis Cessa starting vs Corey Kluber

Cessa has been all over the place in the regular season. Sometimes he pitches well, other times he gives up 6 runs in 2 innings. I have him as my number 5 and I am starting him to give others a rest. I figure we'll lose this one and try and win in the next two.

We are up 2-0 in the 6th with Cleveland gathering probably 2 hits an inning, they just can't get anyone over the plate. Kluber strikes out first two batters. Tapia walks. Rogers hits a single, Arenado singles to left. Bases loaded for David Dahl. He swings...GRAND SLAM!

We never looked back. Cessa got the complete game SO and we won 8-0. Colorado gets its first WS in a year we only expected to hit the WC and lose there.

Just goes to show what can happen when a team gets hot just at the right time.

MORE INFO
Brendan Rogers - ROY
David Dahl - NL MVP and WS MVP

Last edited by theox05; 07-26-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: More info
theox05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #20
SI52
Minors (Single A)

I've been playing the same fictional league since 2015 (in real life and game life). Currently in the 2035 season. Since starting the league, I've slowly expanded from 10 teams to 16.

I have way more fun when my team is losing than winning, so I usually expand the league and switch teams once my current team is getting too good. I won 4 World Series in the first 10 seasons with my initial team, then switched to an expansion team before 2025. Won 2 World Series with them, then switched to my current expansion team before 2034.

My team now, the Bucks, isn't doing so hot, and our minor league system isn't so great, either. I love getting really immersed in my league, though, so I simulate very slowly and take care to learn about all the different players and prospects in my world.
SI52 is offline   Reply With Quote