Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

View Poll Results: 3-D vs 2-D
3-D 52 73.24%
2-D 19 26.76%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
3-D vs 2-D?

I keep going back and forth about which I like better. I've used 2-D forever but have been trying the 3-D. Sometimes the ball animation is quirky. I wish the logo banner could be put up at the top like 2-D.

So informal poll...which does everyone like better and are using?
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

3D and here is why, so that I don't have to repeat myself:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=276011

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

2D broadcast view. It's more customizable with widgets like out of town scores, players on the bench, etc. It has the more verbose PBP which I've always enjoyed. I've been playing OOTP since 8 and as nice as 3D is, it never did anything for me. Plus I have multiple megabytes of stadium images that I've collected over the years and would rather use.

Markus has a dream of a stadium builder in the game at some future point. When that happens I'll switch to 3D
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

2D all the way for me. Whole bunch of reasons. But here are the top 3...

#1) Prefer full detail play by play.

#2) My customized 2D ballparks are more colorful, team specific and a dream to play in.

#3) Still fun to use my imagination at little.

Don't get me wrong, I may jump to 3D in the future as it improves. I know this'll take time, but still needs better crowd animations and besides the pbp not syncing, the crowd cheer is simply still not up to par. The bat sounds seem to be on point but there are still times when the home team hits a home run (other plays, as well) and the there is no roar from the crowd. That kills it for me. So I still play with sound off. Confident it'll get better some day.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:08 AM   #5
Reggie
Major Leagues

Can't imagine NOT playing in 3D anymore. I'm just glad there is an option to play either way.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
DFyvie
Major Leagues

I love 3d (especially this version) but it still runs a bit hot on my Macbook Pro.. so I always revert to 2d - which has its advantages (pbp, better screen layout, doesn't run hot, simple). I will probably always give 3d a go here and there but I play 90% or more on 2d.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I'm just glad there is an option to play either way.
I agree with this, despite what I said above. I may get tired of 3D someday, or some bug may creep in, so I still want the option to go back to 2D broadcast and webcast.

- Bru

Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I'll always be a 2D. That being said, I love the new stadium models. My only hope is as these stadiums continue to improve, the creators refrain from stretching the infield into that bizarre diamond shape. When home plate to second is twice as far in the image as second base to the centerfield wall, something is off. I still put short play by play instant as one of the best additions Markus ever added to OOTP. Before he added this, I was in favor of a results only feature, but I like short play by play much better.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #9
Dorfmann
Minors (Double A)

2D Broadcast

I'll switch to 3D when it syncs with the full play-by-play and is able to demonstrate non-routine plays (diving, jumping plays, etc).
Dorfmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
Motorhead667
All Star Reserve

3D Baby!
Motorhead667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:53 AM   #11
gabeeg
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I was a hard core 2D player. I do not like 3D for the most part in any game (I mainly play OOTP or war games only), I even mentioned on this forum or another in regards to OOTP that I did not want or care about 3D and hoped resources were not "wasted" on 3D at the expense of any other feature...BUT...starting last version I thought I would check it out for a series and I got hooked. I love the 3D and it is even better in 18. Its the only way I play out games now.
gabeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #12
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

I forgot how to play this game without 3D.
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeeg View Post
I was a hard core 2D player. I do not like 3D for the most part in any game (I mainly play OOTP or war games only), I even mentioned on this forum or another in regards to OOTP that I did not want or care about 3D and hoped resources were not "wasted" on 3D at the expense of any other feature...BUT...starting last version I thought I would check it out for a series and I got hooked. I love the 3D and it is even better in 18. Its the only way I play out games now.
No way! That's all I play too...OOTP and wargaming type games...specifically Total War.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #14
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

One thing is I wish the little men in 3-D had the colors of the teams....
Old 04-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #15
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdw1000 View Post
One thing is I wish the little men in 3-D had the colors of the teams....
They do. In fact, they have the whole uniform. However, you might not see it if you have a big monitor with a high resolution. You might require some settings adjustment from the default.

I have a 24" wide screen with 1900x1200 resolution. I use the wide view. In the settings under 3d & facegen, I set ball size to normal and player model scale to 1.2. If you have a larger monitor or better resolution, try increasing the scale a little more. Then in the game options, before starting the game, be sure you have selected yes for "detailed player pawns".

Edit: Here's a section of my screen so you can see what it looks like. Notice the jersey logo on the Cardinals baserunner.

Name:  screen2.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  75.7 KB

Last edited by Orcin; 04-20-2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added screenshot
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #16
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the 3d is so poor that i cannot look past it. 3d games from 15-20 years ago looked as good or better.

luckily, it's not important to the actual game of ootp. it's great that it was added, even thgh i have no interest, but this type of asthetic stuff is valued so highly and the ai logic remains mostly unchanged about things that need to be improved for 5-10years or more.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #17
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I agree with this, despite what I said above. I may get tired of 3D someday, or some bug may creep in, so I still want the option to go back to 2D broadcast and webcast.
Case in point:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=277537

Back to broadcast or webcast.

EDIT: Heh, it's funny how I had that feeling when I wrote the part of the post which I bolded in this quote. That's sometimes the way it goes with this game. It is so darned complicated that stuff goes wrong from version to version, even patch to patch. Stuff that was fixed before gets broke, gets fixed, gets broke again. That is why having CHOICES can be very important.

Could I play games out in Wrigley, Sun Trust, and Globe Life with either blank crowds or skylines? Sure. It's no big deal. Yet, it would bother me every time I "visited" those stadiums (thank goodness none of them is my home stadium). I would be looking for it every time and my enjoyment would suffer. So for now, I choose to return to broadcast or webcast.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 04-20-2017 at 11:07 PM.