Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
malichai11
Minors (Triple A)

Has anyone noticed the MASSIVE increase in draft quality?

In previous editions, completely created draft classes would have a handful of potential superstars. Now? 30-40 potential superstars. Now, I guess the question is who can survive the gauntlet of your minor leagues without their potential ratings dropping, whereas before, it was who would have their potential ratings randomly rise in your minor leagues. I mean I'm drafting studs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds now. Not talking about scouting, this is all by using the editor to look at these players. There's a lot more heartbreak now as you slowly watch your potential studs degrade, which is kind of how it happens in real life.
malichai11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by malichai11 View Post
In previous editions, completely created draft classes would have a handful of potential superstars. Now? 30-40 potential superstars. Now, I guess the question is who can survive the gauntlet of your minor leagues without their potential ratings dropping, whereas before, it was who would have their potential ratings randomly rise in your minor leagues. I mean I'm drafting studs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds now. Not talking about scouting, this is all by using the editor to look at these players. There's a lot more heartbreak now as you slowly watch your potential studs degrade, which is kind of how it happens in real life.
For an MLB save? First year of an MLB quickstart has always had a ton of high potential prospects in the past few games. After that it slims down significantly.
Gai1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
malichai11
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai1997 View Post
For an MLB save? First year of an MLB quickstart has always had a ton of high potential prospects in the past few games. After that it slims down significantly.
Nope, not an MLB quickstart. Started a historic league in 2013, turned off import historical rookies. Completely fictional draft classes. Legitimate 79 potential draftees in the 2nd round. Heck, 76 potential in the 3rd round.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
malichai11
Minors (Triple A)

For example, I'm now picking 26th overall and I have my choice of 18 different 79 potential draftees (all batters, so these aren't relievers).

edit - Heck, in the past, I'd be moderately excited if there was an awesome 79 potential reliever available at pick 26! A batter? You only might see that in MLB quickstarts, like Gai1997 intimated.

Last edited by malichai11; 03-22-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
catcherjul
Major Leagues

I saw this too and asked this weekend why. Markus told me that they changed the way prospect develop. Instead of 5-6 5* guys that almost everytime develop to what they are supposed to, we have much more potential superstars but just a fraction of them will actually live up to the expectation.

I saw a lot of guys in my league that went from 5* at 17-18 years old and develop into 2-3* guys, just like in real life.

I see a lot of guys that goes in 10-20th round that becomes 3-5* stars but finally never develop.

After two years, I find the potential frequently changing. I can see a guy with 5* potenial at 17, 4* at 18, 4.5* at 19, 3* at 20, 3.5* at 21, 3* at 22...etc

Couple of exemple here
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
catcherjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
catcherjul
Major Leagues

I also see more changes depending on the success player has. Some guy will have a down year and drop a star, but the year after they play well and regain their star, or continue to drop if they play weak :S

Very nice addition in my opinion
Old 03-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #7
tejdog1
All Star Starter

So... they went back to what it was in versions 13 and below?
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
catcherjul
Major Leagues

Not exactly since in this version, potential are always changing in the way that your 5* potential guy can drop to a 3* potential guy, but regain is 5* after.

In former version, your guy that dropped to a 3* guy 99% of the time stay a 3* guy or worst. Not in this one

At least, from what I saw since the release and what I heard

Last edited by catcherjul; 03-22-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #9
malichai11
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcherjul View Post
Not exactly since in this version, potential are always changing in the way that your 5* potential guy can drop to a 3* potential guy, but regain is 5* after.

In former version, your guy that dropped to a 3* guy 99% of the time stay a 3* guy or worst. Not in this one

At least, from what I saw since the release and what I heard
So true! In past editions I don't remember guys ever losing potential ratings and then regaining them. It always seemed to be one way streets.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #10
catcherjul
Major Leagues

Yep I felt it was code like this too. I love the way that player will each have their own developing path. Can't wait to see my first late bloomer like Jose Bautista show up
Old 03-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
hfield007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
So... they went back to what it was in versions 13 and below?
i kinda preferred the way they did it the last couple versions. this actually kinda has me scared to make the jump with my main fictional now.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #12
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

I'm hoping to still see some late round surprises with TCR set to the default. It's always awesome looking through fictional league histories and seeing that a 16th rounder turned into a star player. OOTP 16 was good for that. Of course it wasn't common, but it would still happen which gave you hope that gems could be found late into the draft.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #13
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcherjul View Post
I saw this too and asked this weekend why. Markus told me that they changed the way prospect develop. Instead of 5-6 5* guys that almost everytime develop to what they are supposed to, we have much more potential superstars but just a fraction of them will actually live up to the expectation.

I saw a lot of guys in my league that went from 5* at 17-18 years old and develop into 2-3* guys, just like in real life.

I see a lot of guys that goes in 10-20th round that becomes 3-5* stars but finally never develop.

After two years, I find the potential frequently changing. I can see a guy with 5* potenial at 17, 4* at 18, 4.5* at 19, 3* at 20, 3.5* at 21, 3* at 22...etc

Couple of exemple here
I did a study of this a while ago, how much career WAR on average you get out of a guy based on where he is in the draft, and how important it is to get a high pick, not just a first rounder. The guys after the first half of the first round get gradually lower in potential value, but it's still pretty random. There are professionals who spend their entire lives trying to find the answers in this, the rewards are amazing if they get it right, and like much of baseball even the best are doomed to fail most of the time.

I don't have all my data any longer, but here's a sample

Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #14
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfield007 View Post
i kinda preferred the way they did it the last couple versions. this actually kinda has me scared to make the jump with my main fictional now.
I'm thinking it will be for the better. With the old way, by the time you got to the 2nd-3rd round on, every player pretty much started looking the same. Not many differences so you were kind of just picking players by position and hoping TCR would be good to them. You were more or less picking minor leaguers and you knew it.

From what I gather, this new way will see many more players with good potential.. Which most players DO have when drafted in real life. They technically all have good potential or they wouldn't be viewed as top baseball talent by scouts as possible future big leaguers.

The thing is, while these players all have good or great potential, only a small fraction will ever realize that potential. Just like in real life.

If it works as intended, this should be great.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #15
catcherjul
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm hoping to still see some late round surprises with TCR set to the default. It's always awesome looking through fictional league histories and seeing that a 16th rounder turned into a star player. OOTP 16 was good for that. Of course it wasn't common, but it would still happen which gave you hope that gems could be found late into the draft.

I just played two season of my long time fictional league (2049-2050) so I can't say for now if you have late round gems but with the randomness I see within two years, I'd say defenitly yes, if not more.

Nothing better than seeing a Jimmy Rosch emerge to bring back Boston into the playoffs
Attached Images
Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #16
brewdog
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm thinking it will be for the better. With the old way, by the time you got to the 2nd-3rd round on, every player pretty much started looking the same. Not many differences so you were kind of just picking players by position and hoping TCR would be good to them. You were more or less picking minor leaguers and you knew it.

From what I gather, this new way will see many more players with good potential.. Which most players DO have when drafted in real life. They technically all have good potential or they wouldn't be viewed as top baseball talent by scouts as possible future big leaguers.

The thing is, while these players all have good or great potential, only a small fraction will ever realize that potential. Just like in real life.

If it works as intended, this should be great.
I agree. I, too, like this change. Although it feels a little extreme, yet exciting, in a fictional league I'm doing I'll get used to it.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #17
malichai11
Minors (Triple A)

The other part I really love about this is how much more valuable it makes compensation draft picks! In the previous editions, I would almost always just trade my players away before reaching that point because those assets were worth much more than the draft pick. Not now though.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:10 AM   #18
Griever20
Hall Of Famer

I remember that we had the same discussion some OOTP's ago, when most players complained about how suddently the draft became incredibly shallow after 10-15 picks and one basically had to pick 1* players after the first two rounds.

I personally like this change alot because it means you 'can' actually impact things a bit more with your high picks, and it's not like knowing that everybody that you pick after the 2nd round only becomes an impact player if the random number generator that runs the 'Randon Player Development Show' is nice to you
Griever20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:35 AM   #19
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Adding my , I was a bit resistant to the change, but ultimately with scouting in play- even at Very High FWIW -combined with a talent change randomness of 200 and much much fictional testing, I grew to embrace it wholeheartedly.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 AM   #20
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever20 View Post
I remember that we had the same discussion some OOTP's ago, when most players complained about how suddently the draft became incredibly shallow after 10-15 picks and one basically had to pick 1* players after the first two rounds.

I personally like this change alot because it means you 'can' actually impact things a bit more with your high picks, and it's not like knowing that everybody that you pick after the 2nd round only becomes an impact player if the random number generator that runs the 'Randon Player Development Show' is nice to you
Yes, it is much more realistic now. In real life scouts usually think that a 10-th round draft pick does indeed have a small chance of becoming a usable player in the majors. The ratings of the draft pool is earlier versions of OOTP did not give that impression because there after round 3 or 4 everyone was at 1 star or less.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote