Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-16-2016, 01:52 AM   #1
BKL
All Star Reserve

When to Promote International Player?

I recently signed a great international prospect and he now sits in my international complex. He has 8/8 contact potential and 8/8 power potential. He is only 16 years old. I play fictional league with only two minor leagues (the lowest minor league is set to start players with best potential).

When would (should) I promote this player to the lowest minor league? Is there a minimum age? How long can they stay on the international complex and will they still develop there?
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:07 AM   #2
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

He can stay in the international complex until he's 20 and he will continue to develop.

As to when to promote him, there are no hard and fast rules. You promote when you think he's ready to compete at a higher level, it's that simple. That can be now, or it can be down the road. Keep in mind that if you promote him at 16 when he isn't ready and he gets his butt handed to him on a platter you run the risk of stunting his growth.

I don't like promoting guys to Rookie ball (my lowest minor league) until they're 18 which is the same age as most of the guys drafted out of high school. If they are exceptional I'll promote them at 17, but that's not a lot of guys normally. Other guys get promoted when they're older. Those guys have at least something about them I like so they aren't released. Those guys get promoted at 19 or 20. If nothing else the Rookie and/or Short A team has some bench players.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

while in the international complex it is only random talent changes and not part of the development system. or at least something along that line. should double chekc the manual i guess. i think during ages 16-17 it's a bit more than just TCR, but no where near the development they can get in your minor league system. as soon as age and ability warrants a promotion, do it. both are subjective thresholds of your choosing.

if it's a scrub, i'd move them based on need for filler in your minors. that may not be for rookie ball - it may be for 2 years from now due to a glut of older minor league players at a particular position. don't overly concern yourself with development of a 20-25+ potential player.

once you move them, they will develop just like a drafted player - although age does enter the equation since they can be younger.

i've had fine luck with a minimum of "old" 17 year olds. i'll do that if they are bursting at the seems with current ability. if they can move into Short A or be an above average rookie ball player, i move them at or after this point in age. after that age, it's all about their ratings. can they be competent? i release 80% of discoveries... int'l FA signings are a bit different of course.

stunting growth is a concern. i'd definitely not do it with a 16 year old or a player turning 17 during the season.

years of control becomes a concern if you send them to the minors at a younger age, too. 4 to 7 year clock starts ticking. more likely to use the 40man to protect those guys for a year or two than a draft pick. gotta have room.

i've gotten players to the MLB by 18/19. i do that to maximize career lenght - something i try to do with very select few players and only when the opportunity presents itself - ie not something you can force to occur. so, you can see my bias as to why i try to get them in younger. it may not jive with how you play as well.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-16-2016 at 01:33 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

honestly, it depends on your league setup. All things equal, players develop quicker in the minors than the complex. I have done numerous tests to prove this.

If you have a smaller league, then I'd fully recommend bringing them up as soon as you sign them since they will develop faster and the overall talent will be lower in a small league. I never worry about stunting their growth because the current ratings are all so close at the rookie level.

If you're running an MLB size game, then I might hold off on bringing them up since the player pool is much larger and more talented.

NoOne also brings up a great point about the pro years clock. If you have a rule 5 draft of minor league free agency, then you may want to factor that into when you bring them up. I have neither of those in my league so I call them up right away

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:18 AM   #5
gabeeg
Minors (Rookie Ball)

For lack of a good logical system I generally do not promote them until they are 18, and at that point if they don't get promoted they get cut...so far that has worked out alright...as far as I know I have a handful of my International prospects doing very well now on my major league team and in AAA after a decade of play.
gabeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:25 AM   #6
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
He can stay in the international complex until he's 20 and he will continue to develop.

As to when to promote him, there are no hard and fast rules. You promote when you think he's ready to compete at a higher level, it's that simple. That can be now, or it can be down the road. Keep in mind that if you promote him at 16 when he isn't ready and he gets his butt handed to him on a platter you run the risk of stunting his growth.

I don't like promoting guys to Rookie ball (my lowest minor league) until they're 18 which is the same age as most of the guys drafted out of high school. If they are exceptional I'll promote them at 17, but that's not a lot of guys normally. Other guys get promoted when they're older. Those guys have at least something about them I like so they aren't released. Those guys get promoted at 19 or 20. If nothing else the Rookie and/or Short A team has some bench players.
Exactly how I do it, for the most part. Sink or swim by 20, usually 18 for any prospect 2 stars or more. Sometimes 17 for 4 or 5 star prospects.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i actually got 2 78+ hof-type discoveries in 2 years (july '48 - jun '50). both i waited until 17. the first has stepped A-AA-AAA 1 year at a time and is now a borderline everyday player and still has time to improve quite a bit, since it's the start of the offseason.

the other was a recently turned 17-year-old discovery who was borderline AAA quality by the end of spring training. he only spent 40 games at AA before a few development ticks kicked in and had a slightly above average season at AAA. he's capable of being in the majors at 18. probably a .300 hitter that doesn't take walks and slightly above average power, while playing CF/OF.

after reading jpeters comment, and in my experience no problem at age 17+, i'm inclined to say the ratings are probably all that matter.

however, if you are like me and skimp on international scouting, expect more frequent inaccuracies from your scout's ratings.

edit: this is really unfortunate. these guys were discovered in my experiment league offshoot with draft pick trading... i may just have to keep it.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-17-2016 at 02:07 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote