Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 12-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
MrDov
Minors (Triple A)

What are the preferred defensive stats to keep my eye on?

I'm in my second year or trying to rebuild my Padres. I prioritize defense and pitching over offense because of salary restrictions. However I'm slowly realizing I'm not correctly evaluating defense. Honestly the extent of my defensive evaluating is looking at the fielding and positional ratings on the scouting page. I'm just curious what fielding stats you all look at, what numbers you like to see in those stats, etc.
MrDov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Zone Rating
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Are scouts on or off?
If they are off (or 100% accurate) then ratings are the best way to judge a player. The stats are developed using ratings.
Someone else will have to comment about using scouts with defense.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
RamMan12
Major Leagues

Zone Rating is the best, followed by fielding percentage. Range Factor may help as well.
RamMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
jb28
Minors (Rookie Ball)

My number one is individual defensive efficiency.

The problem with zone rating is it's a total stat and not an average. Zone rating measures the cumulative effect of a players defensive play which is of course affected by time spent out in the field. To compare players using zone rating you have to factor in innings played.

That's why I prefer defensive efficiency. It is, like zone rating, a zone rating comparing defenders to other players in the league but it's not a total. It's designed to be used as a comparison. A player with a defensive efficiency of 2.000 is twice as likely as an average player at his position to make a play for an out on a ball played into his zone. A player with a defensive efficiency of 1.000 is at the league average at his position in efficiency. A player with a defensive efficiency of 0.500 is half as likely as the average player at his position to make a play for an out. Players above 1.000 are above average and those below 1.000 are below average. Simple to understand.

The next stat I look at is range factor. This measures the number of outs a player is involved in (assists and put outs) per 9 innings played. This gives you an idea of how often a player is involved in a defensive play for an out. You want to put good defenders in positions where they can make plays. Watch out for players with a high range factor and low defensive efficiency; they can really hurt your team.

I also look at is the assist to put out ratio. This tells you what kinds of plays the player is making and can give you a bit of and insight into the skill set needed at each position and by each player.

Those are the most important ones I look at but I'll also look at the others. For catchers I also like to look at how well they throw out runners, and I also take notice of fielding percentage and total errors, and the team stats.
jb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Zone Rating
Same here.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote