Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #1
lukestephens2293
Minors (Triple A)

Home Field Advantage

Does anyone else find its slightly easier to win on the road than it is at home?
lukestephens2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

It might be the park factors/dimensions, I noticed on the WPA graphs that you get like a 12.5% advantage at home where the line starts in your favor...and I noticed if my park settings are about neutral that I win 4-10 more home games a season than on the road. Maybe you don't have a big enough sample or you do but have just had bad luck/your home park doesn't play well with your team.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Anyone
Major Leagues

I hope the model is realistic enough to have players play slightly better at home than away overall, given neutral parks.

But even if not, there's a small strategic advantage to being the home team and knowing how many runs you need each inning when you bat if the game is close at the end, for use of one-run strategies, including who you need to send home in a tough situation to tie it

Another of the strategic advantages of being the home team, if you don't have the DH, is if you pinch hit for the pitcher in a given inning, you get one more inning pitched from that pitcher than the away team doing the same.

With traditional closer usage, the closer will generally come in for the home team in the 9th inning rather than waiting for a lead, which may never come, to protect.

So the home field advantage comes from the combo of matching the team to the park, players playing slightly better at home if the park is neutral toward them, and the strategic advantage. We don't know if the second is in the game though it probably is; but the first is there if you pick players well for your park, and the third is always there.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyone View Post

So the home field advantage comes from the combo of matching the team to the park, players playing slightly better at home if the park is neutral toward them, and the strategic advantage. We don't know if the second is in the game though it probably is; but the first is there if you pick players well for your park, and the third is always there.
This has absolutely been my experience. And my fictional team, the Denver Brewers, can't wait to get home again so that their bats wake up.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

10-12 years ago maybe, Markus changed the code to give the home team an advantage... in most cases, this has worked out.

Several OOTP members showed him over baseball history, most teams play better at home... and like he usually does, he listened and fixed it.

This has been the first mention of homefield advantage that I have seen on the Forums in years.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Yes, a gentle home field advantage exists in OOTP as it does in MLB.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #7
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

I find that the visitors seem to have a slight edge in playoff games for some reason. I also rarely have the home field advantage team jump out to a 2-0 lead but quite often it will fall behind 0-2 losing the first two games at home yet rally to win the series.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Can you post any actual data to show that's happening more often than you'd expect by random chance?
Old 10-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

A seat of the pants bit of math suggests that (assuming the two World Series teams have equal chances of winning any game on a neutral field), a team that goes down the first two games should be expected to wind up winning just under once every five times (about 16.9%).

If home field advantage had no play in it, that number would be more like 18.5% -- still about once every five occurrences of a 0-2 deficit..