Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

The In-Game Experience Needs Work

This is something I hope is a major focus for FHM 6, but still improved in FHM 5.

For the previous versions, I always just simmed games. Decided now to give the in-game engine a shot in FHM 5 and I'm not really impressed.

1. What happens on the screen doesn't seem to fit with my selected tactics.
For example, I have my PK breakouts set to dump and retreat, yet very rarely does that happen and players choose to either pass it out or skate it out of the zone themselves.
2. What happens in games doesn't seem to make any sense.
Many, many, many times a player with the puck (apparently) right in front of the net will decide to pass it to a defender (apparently) outside the blue line (ie offside) who will then shoot it from the neutral zone on net.

Or two players will essentially play give and go with each other, ignoring the other 3 teammates also on the ice.
3. When not using full watch mode, it's impossible to tell where the puck is when doing line changes.
There's no way to tell where a faceoff is going to be after a stoppage, so if you miss a text you're choosing a line rather blindly. I don't know if I'm putting my sheltered 4th line out there in the defensive zone, for example.
I wanted to enjoy taking part in games, but it's just not fun with how it is right now. I'm not asking for a 3D game engine or anything like that. I have a few suggestions which I think are realistic and would make the experience much more immersive.

1. When there is a stoppage in play, a rink popup showing where the faceoff will so I can make informed line decisions.

2. A "text log" for the text at the bottom of the screen that is scrollable, similar to the highlights box (can be placed on a separate screen).

3. Bring back the momentum bar, please!

4. More assistant coach feedback instead of just telling me what the opposing teams offensive and physical preferences are and which lines I'm matching against for home games. Highlight players who are playing exceptionally well, those who aren't (I know you can see this in the player stats area but why not give the assistant something else to do.

5. A pull-goalie button and a timeout button. Those would add more immersion for those of us who want to coach the games.

I would rather have the highlight section just include more events rather than have the rink section trying to keep up with what is going on. Something similar to how the NHL handles games (a rink that shows who is on the ice for both teams) with a more detailed PBP underneath would be adequate, IMO at least.

Last edited by omjo; 12-27-2018 at 09:00 PM.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
renojedi
Major Leagues

As someone who plays out all the games, I too would like to see the in game experience be a major focus of FHM6. The OP has some good suggestions. I would also like to see both teams current lines on the same screen (no toggling in between) and would also like to see the bench displayed in line order rather than position order.

I would second anything that allows me to make better informed decisions as a coach and gives me a better graphic representation of what is happening on the ice.

Last edited by renojedi; 12-27-2018 at 09:59 PM.
renojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

I agree that the point 3 (first list) is something that needs to be worked on. Possibly not waiting FHM6. The "text log" would be fun as well. I am watching a game, my daughter calls me to show me the "most incredible cutest thing I have never seen" (which happens every 10 minutes haha), and I lose a goal. Ok, not the end of the world, but at least give me a chance to imagine how the play enrolled! More assistant coach feedback would be awesome, I am sure that this part will be expanded in the future.
Regarding the pull-goalie button, if I recall correctly, Jeff wrote that he would have loved to have it, but that it's not as easy in the first place, so most likely we have to wait, but I am also sure that it's on the devs' list.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
seven
All Star Reserve

Thanks very much for raising this issue. I've long wished that FHM would enhance the way in-game action is displayed. There were some elements of early versions of FHM that were good (e.g., displaying who was on ice for both teams, showing how many goals the current goal scorer now has when a goal is scored) that were dropped in later versions and should be brought back. The additional enhancements suggested by omjo are good ones. It would be particularly good to display puck position on a rink background in real time if at all possible.

As for the momentum bar, I remember expressing concern on the forum that it seemed as though once momentum favoured a team, that team went ballistic on shots on goal, leading to two, three, or four times as many shots as its opponent by the end of the game -- quite unrealistic. I wonder whether the more realistic shots on goal results we are now seeing are related to dropping the momentum factor (and indicator).
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post
Thanks very much for raising this issue. I've long wished that FHM would enhance the way in-game action is displayed. There were some elements of early versions of FHM that were good (e.g., displaying who was on ice for both teams, showing how many goals the current goal scorer now has when a goal is scored) that were dropped in later versions and should be brought back. The additional enhancements suggested by omjo are good ones. It would be particularly good to display puck position on a rink background in real time if at all possible.

As for the momentum bar, I remember expressing concern on the forum that it seemed as though once momentum favoured a team, that team went ballistic on shots on goal, leading to two, three, or four times as many shots as its opponent by the end of the game -- quite unrealistic. I wonder whether the more realistic shots on goal results we are now seeing are related to dropping the momentum factor (and indicator).
Maybe it can be toned down a bit in that case. Though in a few games I've simmed that has still happened, I recall outshooting an opponent something like 16-3 in a third period which does happen IRL occasionally.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
I agree that the point 3 (first list) is something that needs to be worked on. Possibly not waiting FHM6. The "text log" would be fun as well. I am watching a game, my daughter calls me to show me the "most incredible cutest thing I have never seen" (which happens every 10 minutes haha), and I lose a goal. Ok, not the end of the world, but at least give me a chance to imagine how the play enrolled! More assistant coach feedback would be awesome, I am sure that this part will be expanded in the future.
Regarding the pull-goalie button, if I recall correctly, Jeff wrote that he would have loved to have it, but that it's not as easy in the first place, so most likely we have to wait, but I am also sure that it's on the devs' list.
The pull goalie settings works as a temporary option at least. Was anything said about timeouts? I'm going to guess that would be just as difficult now lol
Old 12-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjo View Post
The pull goalie settings works as a temporary option at least. Was anything said about timeouts? I'm going to guess that would be just as difficult now lol
Well, what do you need a timeout for? It's not like we coach the teams in true real-time.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:11 AM   #8
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
Well, what do you need a timeout for? It's not like we coach the teams in true real-time.
For a game or shift fatigue boost? Or if they implement momentum again to decrease the opposing teams momentum by a fraction or something.

Edit: On the topic of fatigue, another suggestion that just popped into my head is to make game fatigue increase slightly after periods.

Last edited by omjo; 12-29-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:44 PM   #9
renojedi
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post
There were some elements of early versions of FHM that were good (e.g., displaying who was on ice for both teams, showing how many goals the current goal scorer now has when a goal is scored)
These definitely need to be brought back!
Old 01-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
renojedi
Major Leagues

This is a small thing but I would love to have a player's face instead of the referee icon on penalty and goal pop-ups. Or, at least the option to do so in case some want to keep the ref icons.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:07 AM   #11
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renojedi View Post
This is a small thing but I would love to have a player's face instead of the referee icon on penalty and goal pop-ups. Or, at least the option to do so in case some want to keep the ref icons.

Penalties pop ups are still buggy, many times they come up empty
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote