Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 06-07-2018, 06:36 AM   #21
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
First results from my tests (I need to further update my NHL data but I have enough data for a first look):

In the game I track how many games a player misses due to injuries (so I take only major injuries into account that make it impossible to play). The info I store is "how many linked games does a player miss", so in the end I know exactly how many player had e.g. an injury that made them miss 3 linked games, 5 linked games or 56 linked games. I also have the total number of injuries and I have them separated by goalies, defender and forwards.

You will not like the results but we are actually quit a bit below the real world data (especially goalies). We are pretty spot on for different length types (1-5 games and 1-14 games compared to 6-82 and 15-82 is almost the same as in reality).

I will continue to update my NHL data and, if the trend holds true, update the injuries in game. But I will also look into making injury frequency optional (basically like OOTP with a Realistic setting and a default average value which is below that and 2-3 more steps). That way everyone should be happy.

I figured that was the case just from a feeling and eye ball test! Injury frequency slider would be the best bet for everyone. I’m already excited for FHM 5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #22
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
One thing I'd like to change that would make injuries a little more tolerable is adding an ability to defer treatment, i.e. allow players with certain types of serious injuries (that would normally put them immediately out of the lineup) to play hurt and then have off-season surgery. That'd let you keep the guy playing, albeit not as well and at a risk of doing more damage.
This would be a fantastic idea. It's probably more notable in the NFL/NBA but it would make sense, especially with the general toughness of NHL players, to play through injuries at maybe a 75-80% level and get surgery post-season when they have time to rest/heal up in time for camp or pre-season.

In terms of real life relation, both Patrice Bergeron (groin) and Riley Nash (hip) played through injuries with Bergeron undergoing surgery this offseason so it would be a legitimate tactic.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #23
maikgianino
Minors (Double A)

How one can turn on or turn off the injuries?
maikgianino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #24
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikgianino View Post
How one can turn on or turn off the injuries?
You can't. That was removed from the game for some reason.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:41 AM   #25
maikgianino
Minors (Double A)

So the only way to fix the insane amount of injuries is with the Commissioner mode and doing it manually?

I made a custom league wishing the injuries would reduce but I got 4 players injured in the first 2 pre-season games, one of them (of course!) was the best player with fractured tibia haha. 40% of the time I hate this game.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #26
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Quote:
So the only way to fix the insane amount of injuries is with the Commissioner mode and doing it manually?
Yep. FHM 1, 2 and 3 all had settings to reduce injuries. But for some reason they ditched it in 4.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #27
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtiger7 View Post
Yep. FHM 1, 2 and 3 all had settings to reduce injuries. But for some reason they ditched it in 4.
FHM3 did not. Although we did release a mod you could make to reduce injuries.

The big reason is simple: We're going for realism. All of our injuries track with what happens (and usually undershoots) what happens in a real NHL season. I've posted it before but he's just a quick website I use personally from time to time to look at: http://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.com/p/index-page.html

Sometimes we forget how many injuries teams go through. The biggest thing I think we'd like to add eventually would be the ability for some players to play through injuries at for instance, playoff time - but if you have a guy at 50% or less, how would you feel if he's the reason your lose? Or how to we correctly replicate for a set of games someone skating at 75%, or being unable to take a slapshot, etc.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #28
maikgianino
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
FHM3 did not. Although we did release a mod you could make to reduce injuries.

The big reason is simple: We're going for realism. All of our injuries track with what happens (and usually undershoots) what happens in a real NHL season. I've posted it before but he's just a quick website I use personally from time to time to look at: http://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.com/p/index-page.html

Sometimes we forget how many injuries teams go through. The biggest thing I think we'd like to add eventually would be the ability for some players to play through injuries at for instance, playoff time - but if you have a guy at 50% or less, how would you feel if he's the reason your lose? Or how to we correctly replicate for a set of games someone skating at 75%, or being unable to take a slapshot, etc.
Understood but you guys most of the times compare the injury rates with the NHL which is the most popular, active, powerful, talented league in the world but most of the players of FHM play in other leagues which are not so popular, active, powerful and talented and also have different rules.

I made a post earlier this year where I reached the limite of protected players and I got all my goalies injured so I couldn't play THE GAME ANYMORE due too many injuries. How did I fixed it? I didn't. I had to start another game because the only way to keep playing was changing position to a skater, make it play as goalie and lose hundred of games until one of my 2 goalies can play.

I remember when I used to play NHL 2001 (my favorite NHL game) and there was an algorithm where the more backup players you had the more injured players you had. So I usually tried to have just 1 or 2 backup players per position to avoid a lot of injuries. In FHM that would make sense at least to me, because you have 5 or more injured players in leagues where you can't have more than 25 players so there is not a chance to keep playing because you are stuck due to the injuries.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #29
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post

That's all well and good. But couldn't you put the OPTION back in to reduce injuries for those of us who'd like a tiny bit less realism?
Old 08-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #30
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Understood but you guys most of the times compare the injury rates with the NHL which is the most popular, active, powerful, talented league in the world but most of the players of FHM play in other leagues which are not so popular, active, powerful and talented and also have different rules.

I made a post earlier this year where I reached the limite of protected players and I got all my goalies injured so I couldn't play THE GAME ANYMORE due too many injuries. How did I fixed it? I didn't. I had to start another game because the only way to keep playing was changing position to a skater, make it play as goalie and lose hundred of games until one of my 2 goalies can play.

I remember when I used to play NHL 2001 (my favorite NHL game) and there was an algorithm where the more backup players you had the more injured players you had. So I usually tried to have just 1 or 2 backup players per position to avoid a lot of injuries. In FHM that would make sense at least to me, because you have 5 or more injured players in leagues where you can't have more than 25 players so there is not a chance to keep playing because you are stuck due to the injuries.

Obscure leagues around the world often play people out of position because of injury....

SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #31
maikgianino
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Obscure leagues around the world often play people out of position because of injury....

Excellent answer without a valid argument about a VIDEO GAME though.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:25 AM   #32
vladdy16
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Excellent answer without a valid argument about a VIDEO GAME though.
Using your imagination is part of playing video games. Would've been a cool solution to your scenario.

Good point about the intensity of play in other leagues. In the mean time you could hop into commissioner mode to offset the difference.
vladdy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #33
Spartacus70
Minors (Double A)

Most of the problems seems to came not from the injury system, but if I look to my historical replay (and the on made by George Bell, Thank to him) its more a question of the starting injuries attributes who starts too high for most of the players when they are draft ready.
For exemple Gretzky at 17 have 9 for injury prone, and an average of 8.5 for body parts injury gravity. If is not lucky and injured at the begining of his carrer, is injury pronneness growth to a 10-11, a little more then the average.
But if you looks at his career in 77-78 he miss 4 games because he played in junior world championship, and in the next 10 seasons he missed 8 games (1%). He is not what we can call an average injury pronneness player, but an injury resistance one. Maybe a scale of one (statistical) to 3 (size and frame?) there is more suitable.
And the same logic can be applied to most of the historical database.

Last edited by Spartacus70; 09-12-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: othograph mistake
Spartacus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #34
maikgianino
Minors (Double A)

Injuries just happen to ruin your experience in the playoffs.
I have changed players's time on ice a month before the playoffs, even scratched some and they get injured in the training sessions anyway.

It's like they are walking with a piano over their heads during the whole season until March when the piano falls and brakes their legs, or back, or arms or something to injury them.