Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

How do you guys play?

Just curious more than anything.

Do you:

1. Play all the games and every pitch? Or do the one pitch option?

2. Let the AI Manager coach the games and you just watch?

3. Purely sim every game?

4. Play one game, sim 5, play one, sim 5, etc? (or something along those lines)???

I'm interested in seeing how some of you guys get through your games and seasons when building up teams?
joejccva71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
Dorfmann
Minors (Double A)

I play as both GM and manager. I play out every single game, mostly in one-pitch mode, but will switch to pitch-by-pitch in the more important situations. It adds to the drama.
Dorfmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
Xogo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfmann View Post
I play as both GM and manager. I play out every single game, mostly in one-pitch mode, but will switch to pitch-by-pitch in the more important situations. It adds to the drama.
Same. All games for my team on 3D mode. Sim rest. I let my asst GM handle Minor League moves during regular season.
Xogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

I like to play as GM and let the AI play as the Manager because I like to see if good coaches/managers can lead a team to the playoffs. And I'll fire them if they don't perform, etc.

I'll also play some games, but I sim alot to get through seasons to build teams.

If I played every game, it would take me forever to get through multiple seasons.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
chuy1530
Minors (Single A)

I usually sim about a week at a time, unless I'm in a playoff race in which case I do daily. I never actually play games.
chuy1530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i play as a gm, but i make the coach, "mini-me." so, the coach's strategy is my strategy. i move the sliders as i will it.

my A-GM is a slave, too.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
27Christian27
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post
Just curious more than anything.

Do you:

1. Play all the games and every pitch? Or do the one pitch option?

2. Let the AI Manager coach the games and you just watch?

3. Purely sim every game?

4. Play one game, sim 5, play one, sim 5, etc? (or something along those lines)???

I'm interested in seeing how some of you guys get through your games and seasons when building up teams?
I would say it's quite a mixture but I do the same for every season.

I play opening day 1 batter at a time, then sim the entire season while managing the MLB roster lineups/callups/rotation.

Then I play every game in the postseason.
27Christian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Christian27 View Post
I would say it's quite a mixture but I do the same for every season.

I play opening day 1 batter at a time, then sim the entire season while managing the MLB roster lineups/callups/rotation.

Then I play every game in the postseason.
I love this idea.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
norva13x
Major Leagues

I create a league and sim as commissioner, sometimes watching a game here and there. I like to sit back and see history unfold.

I also usually like to create a standard real world game, add myself to the draft and see my career unfold. I'll watch my own games then.
norva13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #10
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

I'm a simmer. I haven't played a single game since OOTP3 or so.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i play playoff games on occasion... more likely when i don't have a dominant team. you will make better decisions than the AI, to some extent. since the playoffs are a bit more important game-to-game, i take the reins.

oh! i also set player strategies, because i mostly sim. you can further influence the coaches strategy per players...

so, it's all relative to your "main" team strategy. if the coach is 2 ticks down from "Middle" then a player with a Stealing Slider in the middle is actually a bit below average frequency relative to whatever middle is, lol... simple right?

an example:

if you are a bit conservative with your managers strategy - stealing slider down 2-3 ticks or more - then you can bump up the 100/100 speed/stealing players stealign slider to compensate for that.

that player slider is relative to the Teams stealing slider. it also resets when the player leaves your organization... so it's not changing anythign that you shouldn't be able to control.

need to roleplay it to make it okay? they are on my team, i tell them what to do... if they don't, they get suspended or some other punishment for insubordination. they are employees and will do as they are told relative to playing the game of baseball for my team. 1 chief, many indians...
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #12
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

i'm a simmer. Play GM mode, sometimes also as manager. Sim a week at a time. have control of everything but line-ups for Majors and promotions/demotions in minor leagues and minor league line-ups.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #13
slic1149
Major Leagues

I always play as GM and manage, and sim a day at a time (yeah, it's a lot of clicking) with my email open, so I can see any news about my team and address any serious injuries immediately. In addition if I go a couple of weeks with the team playing under .500 I will take a look at my lineup and rotation for possible weak links. As a general rule I wait until the middle of May before messing with the rotation and lineup unless I start to fall way behind.

I always play opening day and at least a couple of games during the year. Most of the time I play out games to play in a specific ballpark. Since 3D started, even though I play only historical seasons, I set every team with their current stadium. Sure the Pirates are supposed to be in Forbes Field, but if I play a game out it will be in their pretty new 3D PNC Park. I will only play a playoff game if it is game seven or the "go home" game of the series for my team. Usually it will take me about three hours to complete one full season and off season. The off season always takes more time for me to play than the actual baseball season.

I take full advantage of the personalized strategy options. Generally I will take at least a half hour or so setting strategy, and attempt to obtain players who fit my strategy preferences instead of setting strategy to accommodate my players. I generally only revisit my strategic philosophy once every five years, or after two years of below .500 ball.

Last edited by slic1149; 03-21-2017 at 04:28 PM.
slic1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #14
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I have such a bad case of sim envy. Oh well, I have at least got to where I sim April and May. From June 1st on I watch one or in the case of doubleheaders, 2 games a day. I don't gm or manage, just watch.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #15
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

I do GM and watch every game... I take my time with it, I usually end up playing 7-10 seasons before the real MLB season is done.
X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #16
Reed
All Star Starter

Play as GM. Play historical. Watch my team play each other team 2 times during the season (i.e. 22 games total). I figure that way I can see my team weaknesses and get a feel for the other teams and players. Takes me about a week to play a season.
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #17
SI52
Minors (Single A)

I play as a GM and never play out the games myself, but I handle all my minor leagues on my own. I also progress pretty slowly through my game (in season #20, been playing this league since OOTP 2016) so that I get to know all the players really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SI52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #18
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I micro manage my team and play my team games out in one pitch mode. I do not allow the AI to handle my team at although I do delegate many minor league duties. I handle trades contracts and drafts except rule 5 drafts I rarely pick anyone I really want to take up space on 25 man roster. So when I screw up its on me and I get upset with myself along with the desire to throw show at my laptop or throw it out the window. But if I do well then I cheer and celebrate.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #19
swoboda
All Star Starter

I always start with a new custom game with handpicked historical teams, mostly but not all pennant winners. After a few test drive season sims, I import one key free agent per team from a different year but the same franchise to shore up a hole for that squad.
I play in commish mode and actively play out all 162 for one team in the game. I play out every inning in one pitch mode except for crucial game situations when I switch to pitch by pitch

In addition,for the past few years I have added a second game where I play as GM only in a historical league,different season every year, I run one team that did not win the pennant in a memorable pennant chase season.

Like 'em both

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #20
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

I am the GM for my teams. I let the manager call the shots and I keep myself up in the suites (so to speak). I see every pitch of every game including spring training.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote