Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
blazertaz13
Minors (Double A)

Tips for keeping involved in created league

I am in the process of starting another fictional league (again).

I am wondering what advise you can give me to help me get a connection with the created league. I get one going, sim some history, play some games and then start with a new idea.

I would really like to keep one of these leagues going. If not for a whole year of OOTP, but also to carryover from version to version. I know that there are those out there that are definitely do so.

So what is it that keeps you attached to your created leagues?

Thanks for sharing.
blazertaz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Five things you can do to keep your league fresh and interesting for the long haul...

1) Start small and expand as you go.

2) Create or have some really cool logos created for the league. Depending on when you start, have a vintage set or classic set and a modern set. That way you'll look forward to seeing the logos refreshed/updated as you go through the years. Set in advanced the year(s) that your logos will be switched out with the new set.

3) Do the same with your uniforms/caps. Create a vintage set, a classic set and a modern set, to be switched out every five seasons. (That's what I've done for my league. However, starting with the 80's the unies will switch out every ten seasons and I've already created them all the way up to the year 2000.)

4) You could also do the same with your ball parks. But, of course you might want to switch those out much less often. (Some of the parks I use will never switch out because I love them so much. But others change and still others will be slightly renovated/updated.)

You could create these as you go, but if you create them ahead of time it will go a long way toward vesting you in your league for the long haul. Plus, you'll likely be excited and driven to reach the next switch out of logos, unise and ballparks. Also, it offers a nice incremental refreshing of your league that will be built in from the start.

5) From time to time create or carry fictional players over from your past leagues. It'll give your league some instant excitement and familiarity even.

These things have worked for me and perhaps it'll help you stick with your league for a long time, as well.

Last edited by DreamTeams; 11-08-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Numbering fixed.
DreamTeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:29 AM   #3
sprague
All Star Starter

Totally agree w dream #5

I keep the names of my fav fictional players early on. Best hitting rf is renamed Bobby mcgreggor. Best fielding catcher nutsume hasagawa. Ect.

Keeps instant familiarity with the star players first 10 years until I get to know the batch of new players that have been generated.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:41 AM   #4
HerbD
All Star Reserve

Also try renaming players to real life people that you know. Including people that you don't really like...that will give you a heroes/villains to root for and against all the time.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbD View Post
Also try renaming players to real life people that you know. Including people that you don't really like...that will give you a heroes/villains to root for and against all the time.
To take this one step further I will create and rename guys after some of my favorite baseball movie characters (Roy Hobbs, Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez, Crash Davis, Jake Taylor, etc....) usually around the time they played in their respective movies and follow their careers.

In fact I started a new fictional league and expanded in 1930 and one of the teams was the New York Knights, so not only is Hobbs a star in the making (.317 18 HR 73 RBI in his rookie year), I made Pop Fisher the owner of the team.

Last edited by ohiodevil; 11-08-2015 at 09:01 AM.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

I love participating in these threads because fictional is the best and most rewarding way to play ootp, imo.

These are all great suggestions. The best one is to start small. The key to a long haul fictional is to become familiar with the teams and players. If you start too big, you risk becoming overwhelmed. When a player wins a batting title or come up in a news story, you should already be familiar with that player.

Play out some games. My style of play is a simmer. I usually don't play out many games. But to get involved in a fictional, you should play out a couple games a month to get more familiar with the players.

Start the league in the past. Nothing loses my interest quicker than a league 50 years into the future. It's hard to relate to the world in your game. I would start during an era that you remember. I like to add friends, family, and of course myself to my games.

Don't think you have to model it after the MLB. Make it your own. Just because the MLB plays 162 games does not mean you have to. Maybe your favorite part of baseball is home runs. Make the ballparks smaller. Don't like the MLB's mega contracts? Create your own financial system. In my online league, we actually turn contract extensions off. Makes for an exciting offseason.

Don't be afraid to tinker. And don't think you have to start over again because you changed a rule. In my solo league, I have made countless tinkers and modifications. My league is ever evolving.

Good luck to you and I hope you get into your fictional!

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

I would also recommend the Retro thread if you're looking for some cool logos

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertaz13 View Post

I am wondering what advise you can give me to help me get a connection with the created league. I get one going, sim some history, play some games and then start with a new idea.

I would really like to keep one of these leagues going. If not for a whole year of OOTP, but also to carryover from version to version. I know that there are those out there that are definitely do so.

Thanks for sharing.
All the advice you got is great. Best part it is from some great posters who have the experience and skills to create a universe..

I'll take a different tack. What's missing in your satisfaction that causes you to stop leagues after what seems to be a short time. I have two significant MLB fictional leagues going for 75 and 90 seasons over multiple versions and I don't do much of anything (great as they are) suggested above. My leagues would be considered bare bones by the high standards set by so many others here. My satisfaction comes from them being like my own private baseball reference and I explore the history of each just like I do the real BR. They are dynastic leagues. In both cases I built dominant teams like the Yankees of the 20's to 50's. The incentive that keeps me playing is that my dominance is not enough, I can't quite get to the "Yankee" level in a modern FA and run scoring environment. Maybe I'm easily satisfied, but I'm never bored.

So my limited suggestion is; figure out exactly what's missing. The last thing you want to do is spend mega hours decorating the house then finding out that the foundation is crumbling.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if you like creating leagues, maybe that's where you have the most fun.

make a keeper league that you resign yourself to accept whatever randomnly happens, and some side league(s) you can recreate all you want.

best answer for you depends on how you enjoy the game and why you decide to restart leagues.

don't lose sight of what you enjoy just because of some perception of how the game is "supposed" to be played.

if it's a case of constant revision that you can't resist... get over the OCD .... or embrace it.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertaz13 View Post

Thanks for sharing.
I think that is a common issue that GMs face in solo leagues and replay leagues since there is always the next best thing to try and do.

For me it has to hit home - have a deep meaning - something I followed as a child or questioned as an adult. I am a Blue Jays fan so I decided to do a replay from 1976 and on and take over the Jays from the expansion draft forward to see what I could do with them compared to real life.

I have also done replays on individual players such as Nolan Ryan - what if he played for a better team?

Perhaps you can consider a replay with a fixed time length so you know the project is for lets say 10 seasons and thats it! If you decide that upfront it may be more rewarding going through the seasons. The best part of that is once you reach 10 seasons in this example you might want to keep going!

Jason
USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Write a dynasty report.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #12
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Write a dynasty report.
Seconded.

Even if you only write it for yourself. Creating some sort of story, either for the entire league/world or for an individual within the league, really helps you get attached, imo.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #13
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Seconded.

Even if you only write it for yourself. Creating some sort of story, either for the entire league/world or for an individual within the league, really helps you get attached, imo.
Looked at yours and that seems like it would be really fun. I'll be honest about a weird thing that goes on in my head when I play in OOTP: A lot of times when something happens in the game I'll create storylines in my head and fake interviews between players and what they would say in reaction to that and such. It would be fun to put those thoughts into words and even if no one would read it (Probably not, I'd probably make a boring league haha) but I like writing regardless so it should be fun. I think I'll try making a league this week and see what happens.
Gai1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

Create a Major League and one Independent League. Trades turned off. Only way to get new players is through draft and FA. Using the current ML setup for an example have every team that finishes last in their division move to the IL and the top 6 (current ML setup) in the IL move to the Majors (rosters and all). Do this every year, switching teams out, however when a team gets sent to the IL they have to wait a certain number of years before they can go back to the Majors, even if they qualify by record. So the next best record gets sent to the majors. A guy had this Idea for NCAA14 on PS3 a couple of years ago with the conferences being rated. Definitely kept the game interesting since you didn't know from year to year what was going to happen. I would think in OOTP you would have to make both leagues equal in standing plus tweak all the contract stuff or just make them reserve clause era leagues.
crawdad5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #15
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Great ideas here. Getting really cool/unique logos, unis, ballparks helped me a great deal.

I spend a lot of time poking around through my league, looking at player histories, team histories, etc.

I also do a pre-season statistical analysis (preview) of the teams and players. I got this idea from Sports Illustrated in the 90s, I'm not sure if they still do it. This makes for a fun way to learn the depth of teams and players.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #16
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai1997 View Post
Looked at yours and that seems like it would be really fun. I'll be honest about a weird thing that goes on in my head when I play in OOTP: A lot of times when something happens in the game I'll create storylines in my head and fake interviews between players and what they would say in reaction to that and such. It would be fun to put those thoughts into words and even if no one would read it (Probably not, I'd probably make a boring league haha) but I like writing regardless so it should be fun. I think I'll try making a league this week and see what happens.
Yeah, go for it! It is really fun, and it sounds like you're doing most of it already in your head anyway

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:33 AM   #17
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

I'm in year 1971 of a fictional I've been running since game year 1890 and since OOTP 12. I used to be the same way, making a league, getting a new idea and making another. But this one has really held my interest.

I look at the passing of years of this league as telling a story. Each game a page, each year a chapter. During the first 20 years or so I sim'ed to build a history. But I watched the player and team progression each year so I did it slowly. I decide who gets the awards at the end of the seasons. I decide who gets into the HoF. Immediately after the championship game I save a team picture ff the champions of each league. I made a template that puts the team logo & year in the picture and save it. I managed some of those teams so it's cool to go back through them and remember.

A progression of uniforms and logos is a must. I used TX Rangers excellent work through the 1940s and have made my own since using Photo Impact Pro 13 or Justafans excellent tools.

I've led 4 managers through 14-22 year careers in the 81 years of game time. I always start them unemployed and take minor league jobs and work up to major league jobs. I take from the jobs that are offered. At a certain age I'll retire them and start a new one. While I am controlling a team I'm not just it's manager I'm also it's beat writer. I'll write recaps of important games, stories about the team, players, etc. They are not long, 100 words or less usually but they are right there in the league newspaper adding to the history being built.

No matter what job I have in the league I am always the commissioner. If a team is failing in a market the next ownership change I'll move it to a new market. I always decide the awards ah HoF at the end of each season. I know the players in this league almost as well as the real players of todays game. Sometimes if tow of them are in a race for the batting crown I'm watching their box scores as much as the teams I'm managing.

These are the thing's that have held my interest at least.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #18
nightfly
Minors (Single A)

I feel like we're separated sim brothers, Mr. Marlin. I'm always writing up game reports and I have several years' worth of previews and draft records and such. That's where I have the most fun in the game.

If you're a fan of fictional leagues, the best thing about the game is that even a quickstart of the current MLB becomes a fictional league after a certain amount of time. I'm up to 2065 and of course none of these people really exist. It's fun to draft a guy and see him really prosper.
nightfly is offline   Reply With Quote