Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #501
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Toronto did it last season and next season will be playing in the top league of rugby league in England, if a league and sport in England can work it out who could be bought by Aaron Rodgers from a years salary and still probably have change then I'm sure the NFL can work it out. Plus they play more games in Super League.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #502
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
The Chargers already play 16 away teams a year. They would be obvious candidates to be moved to London.

And London would be a good spot for the NFL.
The NFL already treats the like crap by giving them Jaguars football every season to endure and yet they still sell out every year
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #503
low
Hall Of Famer

On a related note, the phrase "world champions" would actually lean a little more towards making sense.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #504
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I would think the way to go, if a team in London were to become a reality, would be to immediately start a secondary series in either a second London venue (at Twickenham or Tottehham Stadium, assuming Wembley would be the venue for the London team), and/or start a series in another European city. This would enable two NFL US-based teams to travel to Europe for two games each, and it would also begin to immediately build & guage fan interest for the 2nd Euro city.
Actually, not two US teams traveling to London, but three. I'd think this could work, and uses the example of the London team being placed in the AFC East:

WEEK 4
Pats & Bills have byes
Jets play on Thurs night

WEEK 5
Jets @ London in Wembley
Pats vs Bills in Tottenham

WEEK 6
Pats @ London in Wembley
Bills vs Jets in Tottenham

WEEK 7
Bills @ London in Wembley
Pats vs Jets in Tottenham

WEEK 8
Jets have a bye
Pats get Sunday night home game
Bills get Monday night home game

It would build interest in the rivalries with the other teams in the division. Clearly, though, there'd have to be some sort of incentive added for the other teams in the division to which London would be added. Otherwise, from the players' perspective, I'm guessing the novelty of the three-week London trip would wear off pretty quickly, perhaps after Year One.

You could work a similar schedule with three non-divisional opponents, too. These teams would only make the trip once every three or four years, so no big deal (although incentives would still be required, I'd think).

(I'm putting way too much thought into this )
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #505
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
I agree about the watering down, disagree about travelling as a London team would be placed in an East coast division, a New York team travels 2,800 miles to play an LA team they would only travel 600 miles more to London 600 miles is nothing on a plane. I'm also sure bye weeks would be arranged like they already do with the London games, the London team would probably play batch's of games on the road, nothing new to the NFL as the Eagles have done it a couple times in recent years and never heard any complaints about that.
But NYC doesn't play LA every year. At best, they may go to LA 2 out of 4 years. You are also adding to everyone else's travel. If London were put in the NFC East, Dallas would be making a 9 hour non stop flight every season. But the London players would have to make a, minimum, 6 hour flight 10 times a year. The longest flight currently that can happen in the NFL is a 5 & a half hour flight from Seattle to Miami that occurs only once every 4 years. The logistics don't work. When travel to London is reduced to 5 hrs, then it can be feasible.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #506
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Cam placed on injured reserve. Done for 2019.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #507
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But NYC doesn't play LA every year. At best, they may go to LA 2 out of 4 years. You are also adding to everyone else's travel. If London were put in the NFC East, Dallas would be making a 9 hour non stop flight every season. But the London players would have to make a, minimum, 6 hour flight 10 times a year. The longest flight currently that can happen in the NFL is a 5 & a half hour flight from Seattle to Miami that occurs only once every 4 years. The logistics don't work. When travel to London is reduced to 5 hrs, then it can be feasible.
What's the fastest passenger jet out there? Maybe the NFL could buy a couple of 'em with their sofa change and use that to fly players, staff, officials, etc., to and fro London, with freight jets used to transport the equipment. And media
Old 11-05-2019, 06:08 PM   #508
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

The Gulfstream GIV is a standard transatlantic jet and costs $40M. The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner is a high speed transatlantic jet and costs $250M
monkeyman576 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #509
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Spanos, Chargers owner, denies any interest in moving to London w/many 4-letter words.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #510
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure if they were offered enough they'd jump ship like they did with San Diego, like I say I'd stick with what London as for at least another 5 years maybe add a game or two more. If or when they do put a team in London I still think an expansion team is the way to go.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:47 AM   #511
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
The Gulfstream GIV is a standard transatlantic jet and costs $40M. The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner is a high speed transatlantic jet and costs $250M
That Dreamliner is still too slow. They would need something like the old Concorde to keep the travel times reasonable. Or the new Concorde which goes Mach 4.5
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #512
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Well, Washington sure accomplished a lot.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #513
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
I'm sure if they were offered enough they'd jump ship like they did with San Diego, like I say I'd stick with what London as for at least another 5 years maybe add a game or two more. If or when they do put a team in London I still think an expansion team is the way to go.
Quote:
Spanos would jump ship and move the San Diego/Los Angeles California Chargers of Anaheim (or wherever they are losing these days) in a heartbeat over some more bucks.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #514
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

How much extra profit do you guys think a team in London would get to offset the extra travel costs and other expenses a franchise & the rest of the league would have to endure?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-07-2019, 10:53 PM   #515
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How much extra profit do you guys think a team in London would get to offset the extra travel costs and other expenses a franchise & the rest of the league would have to endure?
Interesting one, firstly it would depend on which franchise your moving. Also what merchandise fans would buy, personally I'd go watch a London team but still be in my Packers cap. Short answer no idea
Old 11-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #516
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just when I thought Washington couldn't mine anymore stupidity out of their brains, they found new vein of ore to excavate.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #517
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just when I thought Washington couldn't mine anymore stupidity out of their brains, they found new vein of ore to excavate.
He needs to go through the union first, if that fails, then sue them in court. I don't see how he loses.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #518
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
He needs to go through the union first, if that fails, then sue them in court. I don't see how he loses.
The article says it is within the team's right. It is just that the teams don't usually do it. I'd imagine because it isn't good advertisement for any future FA's. I would expect the NFLPA to advise players about playing for Washington unless they are your only offer or they offer a significantly higher salary. This has gotten way past "just business".
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #519
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I don't see where this is cut-and-dry that Williams is in the right and the Redskins are in the wrong (which appears to be the sentiment of the posts here). It's a bit of "he said / they said" with the combination of a holdout and trade demand. It's not just a cold-hearted team refusing to pay a player struck by cancer.

At least that's how I'm reading it. I could be missing something.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #520
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I don't see where this is cut-and-dry that Williams is in the right and the Redskins are in the wrong (which appears to be the sentiment of the posts here). It's a bit of "he said / they said" with the combination of a holdout and trade demand. It's not just a cold-hearted team refusing to pay a player struck by cancer.

At least that's how I'm reading it. I could be missing something.
The only thing you're missing is that Washington is breaking protocol and standard business practice here. They are picking a fight with a cancer survivor who can't work because of the effects of cancer surgery.

Not a good look.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance