Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Usage shows that 65% play modern MLB, 25% fictional & 10% historical

Post from Markus:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
By the way, our usage tracker reveals that 65% of of OOTP users play the modern day MLB standard game, 25% fictional, and 10% historical.
These percentages were said to be "games created."

This is kind of surprising to me. Although I knew modern day MLB has the most appeal to the casual user, I still thought the number wouldn't be THAT high.

Take this poll for instance: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...game-mode.html

We learned here that fictional mode seemed to be the favorite for users on this forum, with standard MLB coming in 2nd. I know this poll wasn't the "be all end all" as it only polled 250 forum members, but I still think it gave us a general idea of what forum members play.

I think what we're seeing is that modern MLB brings in the most revenue for OOTP as that is what appeals the most to the casual gamer and baseball fan. This isn't to say that the more hardcore guys don't also play MLB, but I think the reason that it is so high is that for the majority of the players who are new to OOTP, the reason they are purchasing the game is so they can GM their favorite MLB team.

Fictional, and historical for that matter, are probably more popular with the more hardcore OOTP players and the players who have been with OOTP developments for the long haul. A good chunk of the forum folk fall under this category.

So, my question to you guys is..Do these results surprise you? What mode(s) do YOU personally plan on playing with OOTP 17?

I hope Markus and co will keep finding ways to appeal to all OOTP players and continue giving love to all the different game modes.

What you say, OOTP buds?
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I'm with the two thirds that play the modern game. I had already figured out that the numbers had to be something like this. Fictional and historical players need to be very aware that they are both in small minority groups, that OOTP knows that, and that these the numbers mean that the game's focus is going to need to be on the modern game from now on for audience and marketing reasons.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I'm with the two thirds that play the modern game. I had already figured out that the numbers had to be something like this. Fictional and historical players need to be very aware that they are both in small minority groups, that OOTP knows that, and that these the numbers mean that the game's focus is going to need to be on the modern game from now on for audience and marketing reasons.
But at the same time, you can't completely ignore the hardcore forum users. It's not out of the question to assume that a good chunk of the fictional and historical users that have been with OOTP developments since the beginning (or multiple years) have helped shape the game to be what it is today. You can't forget the ones who helped you get here.

I completely understand why modern MLB would be the primary focus at this point, especially considering it's the main money-maker so to speak. But it's a matter of finding a fine line to keep your hardcore fictional and historical guys happy too. Historical minors was definitely a good call, considering what we know. So kudos, there.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
This is kind of surprising to me. Although I knew modern day MLB has the most appeal to the casual user, I still thought the number wouldn't be THAT high.
Well, the average OOTP user is not active in this forum I suppose. He downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.

The crowd here is the hardcore fanbase, and many here know about the cool mods (which enhance fictional leagues greatly) and hence play fictional leagues more often.

That's what we have to keep in mind when selecting which features to add to a new version. Something like relegation/demotion would be nice to have, but only a very small fraction of the users would ever use that feature... and the time needed to properly implement such a system would take months because it would effect the AI in so many places. So, we have not done it yet, and it is not high on our priority list. Just an example, there are many features like this...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
But it's a matter of finding a fine line to keep your hardcore fictional and historical guys happy too.
Yup. And I feel we're doing a pretty good job here
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Another thing that alot of us fictional guys forget is that most improvements/features that improve MLB also improve fictional. It's so easy to look at historical minor leagues or the historical exhibition match-up series and come to the conclusion that we don't benefit.

To me, I'll take AI improvements over shiny bells and whistles all day long.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Yup. And I feel we're doing a pretty good job here
Agreed. But this news should dampen the complaints that the modern game is getting most of the love. It is, and that's because it needs to.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Another thing that alot of us fictional guys forget is that most improvements/features that improve MLB also improve fictional. It's so easy to look at historical minor leagues or the historical exhibition match-up series and come to the conclusion that we don't benefit.

To me, I'll take AI improvements over shiny bells and whistles all day long.
Or a 30 to 60 percent increase in speed!

Old 02-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Absolutely, a lot of improvements and features also apply to fictional users.

I hope you guys understand that I didn't start this thread to complain. No complaining here. I just wanted to get a discussion going to see what people thought about these revealed percentages.

Like I stated multiple times, there's no doubt in my mind that 17 will be even better than 16 - which was the best release in the series.

I also hope that while the game continues to grow in popularity, these new features and improvements continue to apply to all kinds of players down the line. Not just modern MLB.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I loved starting with the real Detroit Tigers and eventually you get the fantasy players once the "real" players are gone. So eventually you get the best of both worlds.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
pizzaddict
Minors (Double A)

So what we have learned from this thread is 65% of the people play OOTP incorrectly?
pizzaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #12
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaddict View Post
So what we have learned from this thread is 65% of the people play OOTP incorrectly?
No. Just that a small minority group has been posing as a majority.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #13
pizzaddict
Minors (Double A)

Also Markus, how does your system collect the data? If I keep creating and then deleting fictional leagues can I skew the numbers more toward the fictional side? Not that I would do something like that.

*I totally would*
pizzaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #14
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

10% historical seems kind of incredible to me - I would have thought with all the historical options more people would be playing some type of historical game.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
ThePretender
All Star Starter

I'm actually surprised more people don't have the send usage data to OOTP disabled, but then I'm more concerned about my privacy then most. Not surprised though that modern is higher than the other leagues.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #16
manwithoutaplan
Bat Boy

I've been a huge fan of the series for many years, and that's largely down to the ability to create my own game universe.

I've never followed the MLB, or even baseball, so I don't have much interest in playing a modern MLB game.

I'm a football(soccer) fan, and I got into playing this type of game with Football Manager, back in the days when it was still called Championship Manager. As soon as I came across OOTP and realized how much I could customize it, I've been hooked. I've barely looked at Football Manager since.

For me, this is what a true simulation should be. A big sandbox that lets the user experiment with different setups, and play the game as they want.

I never set up any two games using the same configuration. I love that I can make my own countries (Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Hungary) the centre of the baseball world, and with finances and attendances that are appropriate for these countries. No 254 million dollar contracts in my universe
I love that I can play a game with several competing major leagues, or with none, just a loose collection of independent and international leagues.
And I love that I can create a big universe that runs well on my modern-ish PC, but also create a much smaller game that runs well on my hugely outdated laptop.

For me, this game would be so much poorer if it had just been a MLB simulator.
manwithoutaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #17
Winnipeg59
All Star Starter

Is there any further data to suggest how long each is played?

For example, if I "open" the MLB game just to cruise around and check out the new features and evaluate progress in my favourite areas on three or four occasions, for minutes at a time...

But then carefully craft a fictional league and play it for the next 1000 hours...

How is that broken down in the data?

And I would be very interested to know if you can get at the data that would separate "simmers" from those that play out their individual games.

Or online vs. solo (and how much time is put into each).

Great thread!
Winnipeg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #18
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

I think Markus said its just based off games created

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #19
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Yeah same I never played modern or historical I'm
Completely fictional

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #20
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg59 View Post
Is there any further data to suggest how long each is played?

For example, if I "open" the MLB game just to cruise around and check out the new features and evaluate progress in my favourite areas on three or four occasions, for minutes at a time...

But then carefully craft a fictional league and play it for the next 1000 hours...

How is that broken down in the data?

And I would be very interested to know if you can get at the data that would separate "simmers" from those that play out their individual games.

Or online vs. solo (and how much time is put into each).

Great thread!
We had a discussion about test leagues a few versions back, and it turned out that pretty much everybody did them - modern, historical, and fictional players all ran test leagues.