Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #21
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
Regarding backups; for you guys, even if you have a backup from say, the beginning of the year, isn't it completely demoralizing to have to play the past few months over again?

Even if I had a good backup it would take me a long time to suck it up and replay the same stuff again. Is that just me?
I had a long running league that I had not backed up in a month or so of game time. I had to restore to my last backup and lost that month. Yes, it is quite demoralizing. But you move on and are happy with not losing your entire league forever.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #22
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
On a personal note I really cannot stand these threads threatening to leave for threatening never to play again they're very annoying and childish. One no longer wants to play the game or their dissatisfied then just go don't make a big scene

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:43 PM   #23
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Regarding backups; for you guys, even if you have a backup from say, the beginning of the year, isn't it completely demoralizing to have to play the past few months over again?

Even if I had a good backup it would take me a long time to suck it up and replay the same stuff again. Is that just me?
This is actually the part where OOTP performs best since it has an incremental backup by default. For example you are at opening day and you realize that you haven't backed up in several months. Go to the backup utility, copy all files then copy that file via a zip utility with a different name like league x opening day. Go on with your league and set a reminder in-game for a week, 10 days or a month and press "start backup". I've saved my two long running leagues multiple times by doing this. Sometimes I lose less than a week.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #24
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
This is actually the part where OOTP performs best since it has an incremental backup by default. For example you are at opening day and you realize that you haven't backed up in several months. Go to the backup utility, copy all files then copy that file via a zip utility with a different name like league x opening day. Go on with your league and set a reminder in-game for a week, 10 days or a month and press "start backup". I've saved my two long running leagues multiple times by doing this. Sometimes I lose less than a week.
I'm gonna have to work more with the backup function. Replaying any part of a game that I've already played is like eating glass, but even I can handle a week or so
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #25
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

For me, what's frustrating would be replaying games that I had already written about in a dynasty post. Which is why I've gotten into the habit of backing up before I write a post.

That way, if I have to restore from backup, only I know what happened in the games that were lost and I don't have to (literally) re-write history.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:33 AM   #26
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quicksim like crazy. I restored from a backup on 13 or 14 for my eBL vs MLB league and had to start from the previous season. I also had a crash after i edited close to 150 players and had to redo them all over again. 1st time took me close 2 weeks working on it a few hrs each day. 2nd time took me over a month. i back up my leagues twice per season OD and when the players are announced for teh draft in November when I edit them.Forgot I also back it up after that also.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #27
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

replaying a half season is better than losing decades ..... just my point of view.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:56 AM   #28
Chillidog
Minors (Double A)

I am 50+ have not lost anything in OOTP17, I play stritctly "Historical" and wanted to do a "what if replay"--- during one season Mike Piazza was on the verge of hitting .400 had few days remaining in the season and he got injured and missed the last 4 games--- according to OTTP17 he finished hitting ,400 but when taking it out in decimal places he actually hit .399563 (so was rounded up to .400). I wanted to "replay" the last 4 days with Piazza healthy to see if he could have finished the season legitimately hitting .400.

the thing is I have no clue what a "file manager" is or what it does, have no clue how to do/use a "zip file/program" so I have gotten very frustrated in trying to "restore" from a backup. it is easy to backup as there is a link in the game to "backup your game/season" (whatever it says) then I get the pop-up stating 9937 files 2307 files updated (or something similar to this). Other games there are saves/backups that are named differently you click on "load from previous save" and then a pop-up displays all of your previous save/backup options, you click on one of these options and "WaLa, Baam!" your game is now at your previous save, very simple very easy

But OOTP's method is very confusing and frustrating for me. I will try Rich's advice from above, hope I can figure it out, if not I will just continue to play but will not backup as if I can not restore then there is no point in backing up

Last edited by Chillidog; 09-09-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Chillidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #29
JMDurron
All Star Starter

It is rather obnoxious, IMO, that OOTP doesn't let you restore to the same directory as your original game. You have to create a new league name/directory to restore to in order to execute it. Honestly, the most intuitive way to "backup" your league is to make a spare copy of your entire league directory elsewhere on your HDD (this is what "Copy All Files" under Backup does anyway, it just does it to a pre-set directory, and you still have the frustrating restore design issue), and then copy that back over on top of your original directory in the event that you confront the need to do so.

Because OOTP at its core is a very robust simulation engine, the largest cohort of long-term users are likely to be very savvy computer users in general. Those same users are likely to make up the largest subset of the population in these forums. However, between the MLB license, 3D capability, and general increase in use of online reviews and resources to make gaming purchase decisions, my personal opinion is that there are going to be more users coming into this community that are not as sim/computer savvy, or are used to a more "normal" (think MS Office products) file Backup/Save and Restore/Load structure.

Since we can't effectively notify users who haven't shown up here yet to be wary of potential reactions against seemingly ignorant/hostile questions, I think those of us who have been around for a few years need to prepare ourselves psychologically by shifting our expectations of how new users may be coming into the OOTP community. There are absolutely still going to be trolls, because online marketing/messaging is absolutely a thing that rival companies will use to try to muddy the waters, but I think the legit question-vs-troll ratio is shifting away from our historical expectations, therefore we must modify our mental Likely Troll Modifiers accordingly.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #30
Chillidog
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
It is rather obnoxious, IMO, that OOTP doesn't let you restore to the same directory as your original game. You have to create a new league name/directory to restore to in order to execute it. Honestly, the most intuitive way to "backup" your league is to make a spare copy of your entire league directory elsewhere on your HDD (this is what "Copy All Files" under Backup does anyway, it just does it to a pre-set directory, and you still have the frustrating restore design issue), and then copy that back over on top of your original directory in the event that you confront the need to do so.

Because OOTP at its core is a very robust simulation engine, the largest cohort of long-term users are likely to be very savvy computer users in general. Those same users are likely to make up the largest subset of the population in these forums. However, between the MLB license, 3D capability, and general increase in use of online reviews and resources to make gaming purchase decisions, my personal opinion is that there are going to be more users coming into this community that are not as sim/computer savvy, or are used to a more "normal" (think MS Office products) file Backup/Save and Restore/Load structure.

Since we can't effectively notify users who haven't shown up here yet to be wary of potential reactions against seemingly ignorant/hostile questions, I think those of us who have been around for a few years need to prepare ourselves psychologically by shifting our expectations of how new users may be coming into the OOTP community. There are absolutely still going to be trolls, because online marketing/messaging is absolutely a thing that rival companies will use to try to muddy the waters, but I think the legit question-vs-troll ratio is shifting away from our historical expectations, therefore we must modify our mental Likely Troll Modifiers accordingly.
personally I do not have time/opportunity to go into length research and learning of "games" mechanics or latest software programs. I sincerely apologize for the title to this thread. I have made peace with the game, if I am able to figure out how to "restore" great, if not "also great" I will just continue doing what I do. each season I go into "preseason predictions" and save this to a thumb drive, and then at completion of the season I go into "League History & Team History" (for the team I GM) and save the final stats for that year

Last edited by Chillidog; 09-09-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Chillidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #31
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

better than losing 50 years .... it isn't a whole lot of fun, trying to reproduce the trades and move up, but still better than starting over .... and not really demoralizing .... it's a quick thing to back up, and i do it after EVERY session now .... and make a zip file every month of game play ... if i don't need the backups (only have used it a handful of times), i delete the oldest when i make a new zip ... keeping usually a year or so. (the ingame backup just writes over the last one so i don't need to change that one). Better to be prepared than lose the 50 years i did once.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen

Old 09-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #32
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I have asked this for years, but why does OOTP not have rolling autosaves?

They would not take the place of backups and restores but they would at least allow for not such destructive losses to a world if you could have autosaves that save monthly and you can go back to the past 3 or 5 or 10.

Games do become corrupted, I cannot recall the number of times my 'main save' in FM or EHM gets corrupted and I have used a rolling auto save to keep a game going.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #33
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
It is rather obnoxious, IMO, that OOTP doesn't let you restore to the same directory as your original game. You have to create a new league name/directory to restore to in order to execute it.
This is not true. I restore all my leagues into the \data\saved_game folder all the time. Having to change the league name because you already have a file with that name is inconsequential.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #34
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I have asked this for years, but why does OOTP not have rolling autosaves?
I think it is a technical issue vs perceived need. I have never liked how OOTP handles saves. I also think that a system of rolling saves is MUCH more difficult in this game than in any other game I play. My guess is that the game either has to be restructured in its file structure or somehow every field that is changed has to be recorded. There is the option to do a rolling auto save where every single file is resaved for every auto save, actually that has to happen. The files cannot rely on another auto save so...
My small online league takes up 1.1 gigs of memory, so for a decent rolling save I am looking at 6-10 gigs (5-10 saves) with a small league. I think the combination of file size, the way OOTP writes files to memory as the game plays and for some reason the powers that be do not see it as an issue combine to create this.

Last edited by TGH-Adfabre; 09-23-2016 at 08:11 PM.
TGH-Adfabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:39 AM   #35
yanko
Bat Boy

Ok so I'm having a similar problem. All of a sudden OOTP 16 doesn't want to load my saved game. I tried to restore my last two recent backups, but it won't let me. I get the error "Restore_dialog::start_restore - could not create target folder". I have literally tried a dozen folder locations. It doesn't matter. I keep getting that error. Does this mean both my saved game and backup are both corrupted?
yanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:48 AM   #36
yanko
Bat Boy

Btw, the error I am getting on my saved game when I try to load it:

"OOTP cannot load this database because it has been created with an earlier version of OOTP. Please use the button 'import OOTP 15' to import the database."

This is a strange error since I created the league in OOTP 16 but just for kicks I tried to do what it suggest and import it and then got this:

"OOTP cannot import this saved game because it was saved with OOTP 16..."

I swear you can't make this stuff up. Ridiculous!

EDIT to add: I just tried a much older backup restore and it worked so I guess somehow my saved game and my two most recent backups all got corrupted out of the blue. Is there anyway to resolve this? The older backup puts me back over 4 years.

Last edited by yanko; 09-24-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:12 AM   #37
yanko
Bat Boy

I found a backup that was more recent and was able to restore so I'm just going to go with that one.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #38
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
An easier way to restore backup files is to rename them with some identifier such as "my league" with"after ST" or "season end" added to the filename. Then use a zip file utility to store on an external drive. To restore these backups, copy the zip file to the saved games folder and unzip it. The backup can be opened like any other saved game if the filename is unique.
decided to try this instead of regular "game" restore the other day .... WOW is this simple and seems like what will become my main back-up system. i'll still use the games back-up after each game session, but at the end of each important (to me) time in the game (such as post draft, opening day etc.) do a zip. Thanks for the advice RchW!!!

Last edited by mitchkenn; 09-26-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:59 AM   #39
MisterCubs
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Restore from backup

First select your previously created backup folder.

Then rename the file for your restored league.

Then start Restore
This sorted the issue. Cheers, dude
MisterCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #40
Ming
Bat Boy

Yeah, this got me too. Here's what I figured out.

There are TWO paths that OOTP20 needs to know about, but they use two different ways of asking it.

1) The source path of your backup file.

It asks for the folder first and THEN asks for the specific subfolder that is ALSO the name of the backup.

2) The destination folder. Here's where it gets stupid. Rather than using the same interface as #1, it uses a different paradigm entirely without telling you. What it doesn't tell you is that it will default to where ALL of the other league save files are stored. And it just wants the new league name. Using this new league name, it will try and create a brand new folder for it. However, it can't do that for a variety of Windows or whatever OS related reasons:
- Maybe the folder already exists so it can't overwrite it.
- Maybe you entered a new league name that has invalid characters that can't be in a directory, like '?' or " or / or *
- Maybe you don't have write permissions for whatever access reasons the OS might make.
So all of those errors (and more) would fall under the 'can't create directory' error, but wouldn't expressly be known by the computer to actually tell you why.

My mistake was putting my entire folder path where it asked me for the "target folder". But it doesn't really mean "target folder". It really means to ask you "new league save file name"? Because that's what it's going to save it as along with all your other save files. And this step needs use a legal folder name in that particular directory, given whatever OS restrictions there are. That's what makes this hard.
Ming is offline   Reply With Quote