Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Have fun with it...

How To Play Baseball Video
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I already gave him that site and three other basic sites in the FM thread.

One of the best ways to learn a field quickly is to start reading high end websites. It's hard, like total immersion language training, but it works.
It works only if you're totally committed from the word "go". That kind of immersion can scare away people who aren't fully committed upfront, but who could be helped by something more elementary to start with, then become more interested in reading the high-end stuff as they learn. Just a thought.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #23
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMuse View Post
If this thread is in the wrong place I'd be happy for someone to move it to the right place.
Nope, nothing wrong with it here, just seemed like a story that might get some interest in the Dynasty Forum. Kind of fits I think.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #24
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On a side note I'd like it if someone could direct me to the more important mods as looking through the mod thread is a bit like walking through a minefield without knowing it. (I'm thinking "bases empty" doesn't sound right is there a term for this?)
OOTP mods are somewhat different from mods that are offered for other computer games. Most importantly, OOTP mods don't change the way the game is played. They're not, in other words, user-modded alternate versions of OOTP. Instead, they provide more depth for some of the other aspects of the game, like uniforms, rosters, names, quickstarts, etc. You can play OOTP without ever downloading a mod, but your experience will be more "immersive" if you do.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
It works only if you're totally committed from the word "go". That kind of immersion can scare away people who aren't fully committed upfront, but who could be helped by something more elementary to start with, then become more interested in reading the high-end stuff as they learn. Just a thought.
I know. That's why I gave him the intro links first in the other thread.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #26
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Glad to help. Enjoy the game. You do know about the forum for new users, right?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? - OOTP Developments Forums
Yep, the tutorial videos have been helping me a fair bit with OOTP. Some of them are also quite entertaining.
MrMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
OOTP mods are somewhat different from mods that are offered for other computer games. Most importantly, OOTP mods don't change the way the game is played. They're not, in other words, user-modded alternate versions of OOTP. Instead, they provide more depth for some of the other aspects of the game, like uniforms, rosters, names, quickstarts, etc. You can play OOTP without ever downloading a mod, but your experience will be more "immersive" if you do.
Yeah I get that. It's the same with Football Manager. But my game seems to start with ZERO player pics. No card pics, no facegen pics, nothing. And I'm finding it a bit annoying.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #28
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah I get that. It's the same with Football Manager. But my game seems to start with ZERO player pics. No card pics, no facegen pics, nothing. And I'm finding it a bit annoying.
Download and install the All-In-One mod from Download Central.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Also

Player Photos | OOTPMODS.COM

Old 10-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #30
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Download and install the All-In-One mod from Download Central.
Already tried this several times but I always get this message after the download reaches 100%:

ADDONS_DIALOG::download_file - could not download file.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Interesting read!
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #32
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
Interesting read!
Thanks. I'll be adding to it tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #33
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Already tried this several times but I always get this message after the download reaches 100%:

ADDONS_DIALOG::download_file - could not download file.
File a big report on that.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #34
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

I hope one of these days you can hop the pond and catch a game, and grab a hot dog (though around my area a brat would be more appropriate), a pretzel, and an ale.

Welcome aboard.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #35
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Sir, you really are learning Baseball fast if you intentionally spelled the name of your team the "New York Yankies." *

And from reading this, I can tell that you are HOOKED:
Quote:
I'm not ready to give up and admit that I've thrown away my cash on something I will never use. I'm still intrigued by the prospect of understanding all those letters and numbers. Somehow I have to make an effort to learn more about baseball itself and about the way OOTP works. I hit the forums and make a few random comments about the inaccessibility of baseball to the layman. I make a few comments about my thoughts on the way FM is going and quickly realise there are quite a few fans of that game here as well. I receive almost instant replies to everything I type. I'm not used to this, and the fact that this community is so active inspires me to continue to look into it more and more. A guy calling himself The Wolf posts me several links to articles about baseball, how it works, what the rules are, what the positions are, some of the more rare plays - there is a hell of a lot of information to process but I begin to read, I read for a whole day, and I begin to understand Baseball. I'm impressed with the thread of humour that winds its way through some of these articles - these 'baseball geeks' aren't so uptight, they are just Fans, and are passionate about a sport they clearly love. Back on the forums I'm getting more and more people rushing to offer me help. They are eager for more people to learn about the sport and about the computer game they have so much feeling for. They are not dismissive of the clueless- they are not dismissive of me.
I'm beginning to really take pleasure from the fact that I'm not just unproductively playing games, that I'm learning something, that even though it might seem worthless in the 'big scheme of things' what I'm really learning about is not just a game but a big part of another culture. A part of that culture that embraces those who show any interest in it. (Me -)
Well done, and welcome.

* I should explain this comment. The New York Yankees are the most successful franchise in Major League Baseball history. Naturally, that incurs the jealousy of baseball fans from other parts of this country, resulting in somewhat infantile references to the New York Hankies, the New York Skankies, etc. By the way, it's Red Sox even though Socks is the correct spelling, of course. Both the Boston and Chicago teams in our American League (which, along with the National League, comprises Major League Baseball) choose to spell the word with an "x" as in the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox. I don't know why.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 10-22-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #36
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Red Sux, not Red Sox.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #37
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

This post reminds me a lot of myself 4 years ago.

When I discovered OOTP 4 years ago, I had almost zero knowledge of baseball. I'm from Southeast Asia, and I grew up playing basketball. The only baseball I knew was from an old movie about Babe Ruth " The Babe."

By watching MLB games on tv, GOOGLing aspects of the game I didn't understand, reading a few books (Baseball for the Utterly Confused & Moneyball), and, of course, reading this forum my knowledge and appreciation of baseball grew by leaps and bounds.

Unfortunately, though, I still suck at playing OOTP...

Last edited by themonk; 10-23-2013 at 12:18 AM.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #38
dward1
All Star Reserve

this is great stuff. I had the opposite experience basically where I bought FM on a downswing from OOTP and went into it head-first not knowing anything about formations, skills, anything, I'd watched matches on TV at least but knew nothing about soccer. Now, I'm a soccer and FM fanatic.

OOTP will be possibly harder to get a handle on if you don't know baseball, I'd recommend watching some of the World Series this week if you can to try and learn the game itself
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #39
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
* I should explain this comment. The New York Yankees are the most successful franchise in Major League Baseball history. Naturally, that incurs the jealousy of baseball fans from other parts of this country, resulting in somewhat infantile references to the New York Hankies, the New York Skankies, etc. By the way, it's Red Sox even though Socks is the correct spelling, of course. Both the Boston and Chicago teams in our American League (which, along with the National League, comprises Major League Baseball) choose to spell the word with an "x" as in the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox. I don't know why.
I write in stream-of-thought mode. Which means I just type stuff straight onto the page as I think it...or I think it as I write it if you prefer. So I knew about both of these spellings (and the 'Sox' part is particularly obvious) but I thought-spelt them the way I typed them without even noticing. So thanks for the typo heads up
Old 10-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #40
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

I have to apologise that I wont be updating the post today, and possibly not until Friday now. I have some "real-life" events to deal with and I'll be lucky if I can even squeeze in any gaming today or tomorrow. Thank you all for your kind comments on what I have so far.

Last edited by MrMuse; 10-23-2013 at 12:05 PM.