Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

Import / Export rosters

I am expanding using my own house rules, which means I kinda do it offline and use the trade feature to move players around. Is it simple to export rosters, edit teams and then import? I've never done it before; I'm not sure if there are things I need to look out for, etc, or what program I need to edit them.
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

It's pretty easy if you use Excel or a spreadsheet program. Go to Game Settings > League Settings then click Export Rosters. That will export your league's rosters to a text file in the import_export folder, which is located in your league's folder in Documents (if you're using a PC). Open the text file with Excel. When the Text Import Wizard comes up, click Delimited then click Next. Then click Tab and Comma and click Finish.

At this point, the easiest way to move players around is to copy and paste the appropriate team IDs and team names (which should be columns C and D) onto the same cells in front of the players' names you want to move.

Once you have moved all those, save the file as a .csv file in the import_export folder. Then click on Import Rosters and select that file. Once it imports, all your players should be moved to their new teams.

If you need any more help, you can PM me here and I'll do what I can for you.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #3
cuervo72
Minors (Double A)

I'd be careful with this. I did this with a league in OOTP15 and the import process apparently rebuilt the stats for all of the imported players; in doing so, it flipped a bit of data for college/HS stats, counting them as part of a player's major league stats for history purposes. I don't know if this is still the case in OOTP17 or not, but it's something to be wary of.

FOBL - Owner, Las Vegas Lightning
FOFL - Owner, Bar Harbor Whitecaps
IHOF - Owner, Frederick Red Menace, Former NAC President
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I'd be careful with this. I did this with a league in OOTP15 and the import process apparently rebuilt the stats for all of the imported players; in doing so, it flipped a bit of data for college/HS stats, counting them as part of a player's major league stats for history purposes. I don't know if this is still the case in OOTP17 or not, but it's something to be wary of.
I think if he does this during the offseason, then he should be fine.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
cuervo72
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
I think if he does this during the offseason, then he should be fine.
I'll have to do some testing with this then - when I did it a couple of seasons ago in FOBL (in v15) it was in Feb game-wise, but we encountered the totals problem (and didn't realize it until we were a few sims down the road).

It's unfortunate, because we run our free agency outside of the game and then assign the players to teams manually; generating import files from our FA system to get the players on teams would be a TON faster.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

for any mass edit, it is defnitely better for you to learn how to make use of import/export and avoid any problems associated - minor learning curve, really.

if it's individual edits, it may not be faster. however, you still might realize some time savings. looking through a spreadsheet is alot faster than clicking through players then clicking editor every single time.

you can also use find and replace feature for things like team id. learn a bit more and you can write scripts to automate common things (anything that is repitition that follows a consistent logic can be automated).
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
cuervo72
Minors (Double A)

Oh, absolutely. We at least have scripts to add FA contract information into the player text files, and those save a ton of time. I hadn't played much with import/export rosters though because a) exporting was already well covered by csv file dumps, and b) I had been warned that using the Import function *could* lead to unforeseen consequences. Which the one time I tried it, it did*. Compare the career totals between this guy's html and his StatsLab page (where I am specifically filtering out college stats):

Player Report for #11 Julian Rubio
Player Report for #11 Julian Rubio - StatsLab for OOTP15

Note the extra 13 wins in the html.

This happened for every player we imported.

* I resorted to trying this because I had found that I had entered all of our FA info, then found that there was another issue with the file so I had to roll it back. Rather than spending an entire afternoon re-entering FA data, I figured I would dump it from the file where all the players had been entered, then reimport it later. It worked, but it messed with college/hs stats. There are other old threads around detailing that.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
jlech1805
Minors (Single A)

I work with big data for a living but so imagine my frustration whenever I try to import rosters there is an error.

Inevitably I will find duplicate players missing players etc.

Any idea on what I may be missing?

I've checked the Text file every line appears to have commas located in correct places, there are no duplicate player ids, all players are mapped to team ids or are free agents, all lines end in EOL etc etc

Here is the process I would normally use to edit rosters:

1) export from OOTP
2) open file in excel as comma delimited
3) edit ratings etc of players
4) save as CSV
5) open CSV in Notepad and save as TXT
6) Import rosters

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
jlech1805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Don't save the .csv file as a .txt file. Just leave it as a .csv and import that file. It shoukd work then.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Oh, absolutely. We at least have scripts to add FA contract information into the player text files, and those save a ton of time. I hadn't played much with import/export rosters though because a) exporting was already well covered by csv file dumps, and b) I had been warned that using the Import function *could* lead to unforeseen consequences. Which the one time I tried it, it did*. Compare the career totals between this guy's html and his StatsLab page (where I am specifically filtering out college stats):

Player Report for #11 Julian Rubio
Player Report for #11 Julian Rubio - StatsLab for OOTP15

Note the extra 13 wins in the html.

This happened for every player we imported.

* I resorted to trying this because I had found that I had entered all of our FA info, then found that there was another issue with the file so I had to roll it back. Rather than spending an entire afternoon re-entering FA data, I figured I would dump it from the file where all the players had been entered, then reimport it later. It worked, but it messed with college/hs stats. There are other old threads around detailing that.
Does anyone know if importing/exporting still causes this stats problem?
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #11
testing456c
Bat Boy

Where is the export folder?

I feel really silly asking this but I cant find the folder that the exports are going to. I have attempted to toggle the hidden folder on and off in Windows but I dont have the same file structure that is displayed on the screen. I have seen you all talking about hw easy the process is and I would agree if I could just track down the file.

I also wanted to mention that the system tells me the file has been exported and does not have an error message of any kind which leads me to believe that it is there somewhere.

I am referring to OOTP 17 to be clear.
testing456c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #12
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by testing456c View Post
I feel really silly asking this but I cant find the folder that the exports are going to. I have attempted to toggle the hidden folder on and off in Windows but I dont have the same file structure that is displayed on the screen. I have seen you all talking about hw easy the process is and I would agree if I could just track down the file.

I also wanted to mention that the system tells me the file has been exported and does not have an error message of any kind which leads me to believe that it is there somewhere.

I am referring to OOTP 17 to be clear.
The file path is usually C:/Documents/Out of the Park Developments/OOTP Baseball 17/saved_games/"YourLeagueName".lg/import_export
Old 01-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #13
testing456c
Bat Boy

Import Export

Ok so many I am doing it wrong. That path doesnt exist for some reason. I am trying to export the player data in the system prior to starting a career. Have a business trip and coming up and cant install the files on my computer but figured I would glance at the data while I am gone. If I havent played a game in the season, would that effect the folder being visible. Just did a clean reinstall prior to checking.
testing456c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #14
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by testing456c View Post
Ok so many I am doing it wrong. That path doesnt exist for some reason. I am trying to export the player data in the system prior to starting a career. Have a business trip and coming up and cant install the files on my computer but figured I would glance at the data while I am gone. If I havent played a game in the season, would that effect the folder being visible. Just did a clean reinstall prior to checking.
The folder should show up once you do the export. If it hasn't, then OOTP support might have to help you. It may be something funky with your install if the files aren't showing up where they should.