Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #81
thklein
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownroyal83 View Post
so until further notice I should just trust OSA over my scout?
If you don't mind exploiting this, yes, at least when it comes to the overall potential ratings. If your scout gives a prospect 5 star potential and the OSA says it's 2.5, the 2.5 is the true value.

This does not mean that the player can't still develop into a 5 star player. The actual potential of the player can change over time. It just means that the OSA is correct about the potential of the player at that point in time.
thklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #82
Rebington
Minors (Single A)

basically never spend another $ on amateur or international scouting.

pretty incredible that such a fundamental part of the game doesn't work (and also the blase reaction to this news from people responsible for building the game). maybe less time developing the mind numbingly dull Perfect Game and more time getting OOTP right.

patch is urgently needed.
Rebington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #83
1991Twins
Major Leagues

For me, I've had to temporarily turn off the option for the potential overall rating. Even if you try your hardest to view only your scout, the second you check the scouting tab itself, the OSA line graph does show up and the potential numbers appear on the screen for both your scout and OSA. I wish at the very least, you could hide the OSA view and go only off of your scout. The good news is that the individual potential ratings vary and you can use those to kind of guide you during a draft, which is what I'm currently trying to do. I'd like to think the current silence regarding the issue is more to the point that the issue is being looked into. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a hotfix, the developers always have seemed to do right by their customers from my previous experiences
1991Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #84
kaykills
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991Twins View Post
I'd like to think the current silence regarding the issue is more to the point that the issue is being looked into. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a hotfix, the developers always have seemed to do right by their customers from my previous experiences
It's been 9 days since anyone from OOTP has commented. So while you think that silence may be a good thing, I am personally expecting this to be swept under the rug.

This is a major bug and the fact it isn't getting the immediate attention is disturbing.
Colorado Rockies GM : Skyline League (2037-present)
Bloordale Benedicts GM : National Dynasty League (2087-present)
kaykills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:36 PM   #85
thegoldengod
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykills View Post
It's been 9 days since anyone from OOTP has commented. So while you think that silence may be a good thing, I am personally expecting this to be swept under the rug.

This is a major bug and the fact it isn't getting the immediate attention is disturbing.

There should have been a hotfix for this within a week.
thegoldengod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #86
AaD88
Major Leagues

Exclamation This is devastating to how I view the game.

I was made aware of this thread this morning.

I am greatly disturbed by the findings revealed in this thread. As a commissioner who runs an online league with a foundation of being a challenging and competitive environment, this completely shatters those assumptions.

That being said, I am hopeful that this is a relatively easy fix. I want OOTP to be aware of this, aware of the severity, and aware of the urgency with which it must be fixed. This cannot wait until OOTP21.

To other players, I encourage you to spread the word. If only a few people know of this "bug", it creates an unfair environment in leagues that include OVR/POT ratings. Awareness is probably the best weapon towards change and maintaining the intregity of our leagues.

To OOTP, I urge you to make a change immediately, and I have an easy suggestion: simply allow us to hide OVR/POT ratings for OSA only. I realize there will be a few extra things to code: these ratings, even when hidden, should not be accessible in anyway via sort or search. After all, the OOTP manual states the following here:
Quote:
If you have scouting enabled, OSA does not provide OVR ratings or POT ratings for players. Only your scouting director provides such ratings. If scouting is disabled, then OSA will provide OVR ratings and POT ratings. (https://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com...overall_rating)
In the meantime, I feel like I have no other choice but to completely remove POT ratings from my leagues until this is resolved. This is the only way I can stay true to being a "scouting" league. Such a big change is necessary, but it is also unfair to my GMs. Please, OOTP, please: make a change, and make it soon.

Last edited by AaD88; 01-19-2020 at 10:39 PM.
AaD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #87
thegoldengod
Minors (Double A)

I made a video demonstrating this in action. This is not limited to the draft pool, either - https://youtu.be/4bXOOIawdUc
Old 01-19-2020, 05:03 PM   #88
thegoldengod
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaD88 View Post

In the meantime, I feel like I have no other choice but to completely remove POT ratings from my leagues until this is resolved. This is the only way I can stay true to being a "scouting" league. Such a big change is necessary, but it is also unfair to my GMs. Please, OOTP, please: make a change, and make it soon.

We removed them this morning as well. It was either that, or remove scouting from the league entirely.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #89
Michaelg0802

Lmao you went from reddit to telling on here
Old 01-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #90
ETRAIN
Minors (Triple A)

Adding my voice to the fact that this is catastrophic news. My league is a scouting league and the integrity of which is dependent on a fog of war unveiled through the use of individual team scouts. If OSA is 100% accurate with overall potential ratings, then the main conceit of the league is invalidated.

Even with a new release on the horizon, I can't pause my league for three months hoping any fix only gets released in a future version. This most be acted upon quickly, or 90% of scouting leagues become invalidated.
ETRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #91
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

This is a bad news discovery

OOTP needs to address this immediately and provide a fix.
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #92
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

As thklein mentioned, and as I was trying to illustrate, it is a really important part of the game for folks who manage their own franchise, as it touches not just the ratings, but also personnel / hiring and budgeting. However, I can and will house-rule it, but I had not even thought about the impact it has on-line leagues.

Does anyone know when this problem started?

Last edited by Calvert98; 01-19-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #93
AaD88
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
Does anyone know when this problem started?
I just ran some of the same tests in previous versions. Here's what I can say.

OOTP 18 does NOT contain this "bug". OOTP19 does.

The scouting system was completely revamped with OOTP19. Perfect Team was also introduced during that time. Not trying to cause a firestorm; just trying to pinpoint the issue.

I have pictures to support these claims, but don't want to spam the forum with screenshots.

Needless to say, I think the solution is still fairly simple and is fully within OOTP's great capabilities to quickly resolve.

Last edited by AaD88; 01-19-2020 at 08:34 PM.
AaD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:29 PM   #94
Weaseltail
Minors (Double A)

This seems like a pretty big deal

and something that needs to be patched quickly.

Any comment from OOTP? Would be helpful to at least know they're aware of the problem and working on a fix.
Weaseltail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:10 PM   #95
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaseltail View Post
and something that needs to be patched quickly.

Any comment from OOTP? Would be helpful to at least know they're aware of the problem and working on a fix.
At the beginning of the thread. Days ago. Not at all what I expected.
Brad K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:25 PM   #96
the54effect
Minors (Single A)

I play in three online leagues and find this revelation demoralizing... I haven't brought myself to test it for myself, but see enough evidence from enough credible sources to wonder if staying with this hobby (that at its most immersive is about building long term plans) is even going to bring me satisfaction anymore. The cloud it places on the leagues is not unlike the sign stealing fiasco MLB is enduring- not knowing who has been doing what or for how long really saps enjoyment.

A transparent response from the dev team and concerted response to rectify the issue, even with a just a few months left before the new release, would go a long way towards restoring my faith in OOTP's diligence. Mistakes happen, and it's just a game... but it's a game we all like and are willing to pay for, and this absolutely breaks it.
  • LTBNL (HOU) 2019-2034 & 2041-present 🎫x17🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🏆🏆🏆🏆
the54effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:47 PM   #97
getheroff
Minors (Single A)

Agree that this is a major issue and needs to be addressed quickly.
getheroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:33 AM   #98
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaD88 View Post
I just ran some of the same tests in previous versions. Here's what I can say.

OOTP 18 does NOT contain this "bug". OOTP19 does.

The scouting system was completely revamped with OOTP19. Perfect Team was also introduced during that time. Not trying to cause a firestorm; just trying to pinpoint the issue.

I have pictures to support these claims, but don't want to spam the forum with screenshots.

Needless to say, I think the solution is still fairly simple and is fully within OOTP's great capabilities to quickly resolve.
Thanks for checking that.

Right, I forgot that in 19 they updated, and sort of revamped the scouting system in large part to allow the AI to make more realistic decisions; I might be wrong, but I think Matt had mentioned something about that at the time. The AI seems to improve a bit every year, however I have noticed a fairly significant overall improvement in the Trade / overall franchise management AI since 19.

OSA is a pretty core component of the game, and OOTP is rather complex under-the-hood, so I hope this is something that can be resolved without too much hassle; we are a little more than 2 months away from last year's release date. I always wait till the first or second patch after opening day to start my franchise in any case, so I have the most up-to-date MLB rosters, but I'm sure a lot of folks like to dig-in right away.

Last edited by Calvert98; 01-20-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:07 AM   #99
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

We're looking into it

Edit: Got it. A patch will be released ASAP. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 01-20-2020 at 03:11 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:18 AM   #100
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykills View Post

We are a small team and right now, of course, or full attention is on OOTP 21. So it's no wonder it has taken some time for the dev team to look into it. But, all good now, problem is isolated, fixed, and a patch is coming ASAP

Last edited by Andreas Raht; 01-20-2020 at 04:04 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote