Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #41
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

I noticed nobody has mentioned storylines. Just out lf curiosity, is that because you never stopped using storylines, or is it because you never started?
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #42
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I noticed nobody has mentioned storylines. Just out lf curiosity, is that because you never stopped using storylines, or is it because you never started?
I have story lines on but never really see them in the game since my news stays with my team only. They don't really add to the game IMO. Stuff like the charity and such doesn't seem to impact much.

This is a good example of something I was excited about but don't use much. I get the feeling that they can't do much with this feature because of the MLB license. Kind of like the PED suspensions we use to have.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #43
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
For me, the baseball cards (due to load times and space), and at least in my next MLB universe, the League expansion option in the league evolution.

The baseball cards were something I was extremely happy to have and now I don't use. I originally could see myself printing them out and having OOTP baseball cards. Since I tend to get attached to players I thought this would be great.

What ended up happening is that a player with a lot of accomplishments would have a deformed card. There isn't enough room for all the info. If this was fixed I would probably try to use it again.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #44
Reed
All Star Starter

Quote:
I stop reading storylines a long time ago. If I were new to OOTP, I would enjoy them.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #45
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

League Evolution.
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #46
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
I'm one that never used them, never had an interest.

Same with league evolution. I play in a MLB environment that was started in v4 (2002) with that years structure. Since then the Expos became the Nats, Houston went to AL etc and I followed those changes. In other words my game follows whatever changes, rules expansion etc., the real MLB makes. Sure their changes occur in 2019 and mine in 2035 but that's okay. I wouldn't be fond of some random game created change and this way keeps me connected to "real" baseball though my game is farther along in the future. This may change if MLB decides to allow STEALING FIRST BASE!!!

I can't think of anything that I have used that I have stopped using. Some things I may not use as much but I still use them at some point.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #47
Mecza
Minors (Triple A)

Those of you hating on WPA are blowing my mind a bit. Their inclusion is awesome. Such an easy way to identify big moments in a game through the box score without scrolling through the game log. I get that it can be a little strange to understand without understanding the idea of leverage and WPA, but I promise it isn't too complicated!
Mecza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #48
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Never used them. Too much randomness to them, especially since some of them can significantly alter your game (top draft picks changing sports, for instance).
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #49
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
I like them. It's like the ketchup on the hot dog. It adds a little flavor.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #50
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

After all this time I just thought of something I no longer use. I turn off rainouts in all my leagues.

I also disable expanded rosters in all my leagues, but I've done that forever. And I've never once used Spring Training.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #51
Argonaut
All Star Starter

I finally thought of something to add to this list. Previously I just thought that I never stopped using any feature... if anything I just found more features to use.

The thing that I am definitely limiting my use on in the future is the coaching system. Not that I don't like having personnel, I think it's nice flavour. It just takes way too much time finding the best coaches that have both good relationships with the players (manager/bench coach), and effective ratings (everyone). It looks like in previous OOTP versions you could see the ratings, but now they're hidden (except trainer/scout). So I download the Excel files and browse through them which takes even more time.

So I'll compromise: use the coaching system when I'm doing a historical re-calc for flavour, but don't use the coaching system when I'm doing modern day, fictional, or historical with the development engine.

Does anyone know if the trainer role gets eliminated if you don't use the coaching system? Injuries are equalized across the league based on player proneness alone? Guess I'd have more injuries, but oh well.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #52
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Static stadiums - I use to spend hundreds of hours collecting and organizing stadium backgrounds for teams.

the 3D stadiums (especially the historic ones since I play so much historical) has replaced all that because I enjoy the game in 3D so much. I see many here dont like it, but for me the style (basically Earl Weaver style modernized) is exactly perfect for what I want. Full on "the Show" style would be too much for me and I would notice the flaws. The current method reminds me of the impressionist style of painting. Enough detail to know exactly what I am seeing, but not so much that the lack of exactness takes away from the experience.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #53
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
I like them. It's like the ketchup on the hot dog. It adds a little flavor.
Thanks for the comment, although I cannot condone putting ketchup on hot dogs.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #54
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Or anything else, for that matter.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #55
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #56
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
That's 'cause you're not eating them in Marlins Park! Something has to kill that boiled-in-water taste and the condiment selections is... shall we say limited?
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #57
majesty95
All Star Starter

Owners goals
Playing out individual games
Perfect Team
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #58
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Flavor

Quote:
Storylines are something that help keep us focused on the fact that these are supposed to be real people with lives of their own, and we're just their mythological boss. It enriches the game.

Keep 'em! Expand 'em!

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Colonics for EVERYONE!"
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #59
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
Storylines are something that help keep us focused on the fact that these are supposed to be real people with lives of their own, and we're just their mythological boss. It enriches the game.

Keep 'em! Expand 'em!
Yes to this!
(Especially the expand them part. I would also love to see more storylines where you as a GM/Manager- if you play the game that way- have to make a decision. Interactive storylines add to the fun.)

I do think though that the fact that I pretty much exclusively play fictional these days is a factor in my opinion here. Storylines can be a bit odd for historical players and in many cases we already have stories in our heads about those players and don't require the extra flavor.
But in my fictional league I can't imagine playing without storylines (even if they did cost me one of my favorite relief pitching prospects when he decided to join the NFL on the verge of developing into a big league bullpen force. )
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #60
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Does anyone know if the trainer role gets eliminated if you don't use the coaching system? Injuries are equalized across the league based on player proneness alone? Guess I'd have more injuries, but oh well.
Yes, the trainer role is eliminated. The only thing that remains active is the scout job if you have scouting on.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote