Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
rink23
Hall Of Famer

2019 St. Louis Cardinals thread

A year ago, I had a Cardinals dynasty thread that turned into a combination dynasty/talk about the real thing thread.
Since, I don't know when/if I am going to do a Cardinals this year, I figure I might as well start it here since I know there are plenty of Redbirds fans on here.
I'll start it short.

Was not happy with what I saw through the first week of the season.
Attended first two games against San Diego, came away so pissed off, I passed on Sunday's game, which Waino pitched very well in for the win, despite having access to good seats at a decent price.

Was back Monday and Tuesday for the first two Dodgers games.
Looked like a completely different team. Sure there were a couple of gaffes in the field, which are probably going to be a nightly occurrence with this group, but the starting pitchers did their job, the bullpen displayed a complete turnaround and there was some timely hitting.

And the Dodgers are a really good team. Going back tonight to see how "Black Jack" Flaherty does in his home debut for 2019.

That will get this started. Looking forward to some interesting banter about the Birds over the next few months.

Last edited by rink23; 04-10-2019 at 02:49 PM.
rink23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
rink23
Hall Of Famer

The play/misplay of the year so far:
https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/m...na-climbs-wall
Very similar to a play from a year ago in Milwaukee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geUbVJgVZwc
Old 04-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
so49as
Major Leagues

I wish the trade for Ozuna had included 1 less starting pitcher. To me, it seems expensive knowing his shoulder has been a touch bum since the trade.

Zac Gallen tossed 7 no-hit innings, no walks, and 11 K's in his first AAA start this year.

Or to borrow an idea from Joe Torre, it's like Ozuna's using the actual gold glove he won in '17
so49as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
pgjocki
All Star Starter

@buffa82: What the hell is Marcell Ozuna doing in left field?

He plays the position like a blind explorer running away from a bear in a forest.

#STLCards

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
pgjocki
All Star Starter

So thoughts on extending Carp? I fear it is a bad move as I don't see him holding up at 3B and you can't sit Goldy or Wong to find a place that's less physically demanding right now.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
So thoughts on extending Carp? I fear it is a bad move as I don't see him holding up at 3B and you can't sit Goldy or Wong to find a place that's less physically demanding right now.

it's only for a couple years, so as long as he doesn't have a dramatic decline, it'll be a good fit.... maybe if we're lucky, Gorman will make a rocket-like climb through the minors and be ready to step into the 3B role by then...

career rubber game between Dodgers and Cards today.... saw on the pre-game show the lifetime record is 1029 - 1029
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

good chance of the Cards finishing a sweep of the Dodgers shortly
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Got the sweep of the Dodgers today in a bizarre 11-7 win.

Wacha stunk but it didn't matter as Walker Buehler may have been worse.
Harrison Bader twice got hit by pitches with the bases loaded.
Wieters had three RBIs in his first start.

JMartinez and TON a combined 6 for 10 with five runs scored.
Bullpen didn't allow a run in final 5.1 innings.
I still have fears about this team, but feel much better after the last four games.

As I have seen it is capable of playing above-average defense, situational hit and having a lockdown pen.

As for the Carpenter signing.
Carpenter is a conundrum.

He can carry a team at times and single handily keep you in a pennant race which he did last summer.
But he also can drive you nuts, with his I have to bat first and I'dr ather take a walk and then try to get the big hit attitude at the plate.
It drives me nuts when he takes a called third strike, and stares down the umpire like 'how dare you.'
The defense and bad back also are an issue.
But I really appreciate the OBP Carpenter gives you at the top of the order. But his lack of speed and below average base-running skills bother me in that role.
I'd rather see him protecting Goldschmidt at 2-3 or 3-4. Although DeJong is doing just fine.
If only he was mentally strong enough to do that.
There is also the issue is who leads off if Carpenter can adapt to another role. Wong? We'll have to see how this season plays out before heading that direction.
Anyway, the Cardinals have three young third baseman in the system -- Nolan Gorman (18, Class A Peoria), Macolm Nunez (18, no games in 2019) and Evan Mendoza (22, AA Springfield)- all of whom are at the earliest ticketed to be the in the majors in 2021.
With the option, that gives Carpenter two years as a starter and possibly a third if none of the young guys are ready.
If it's time for the kids, Carpenter could fill the DH role -- it's coming in 2020 or 2021 -- should the Cardinals opt to bring him back for that option season.

Last edited by rink23; 04-11-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:38 PM   #9
rink23
Hall Of Famer

I never woulda thought that with just a handful of days left in April, that at 16-10 the Cardinals would own the best record in the National League.
Eight games into the season, they were 3-5 and looked much like the same team they were a year ago.
Shaky starting pitching, inconsistent bullpen and a feast-or-famine offense.
Since than, they've got 13-5 and doing a lot of the things which have been their biggest bugaboos over the last few season quite well.
Heck, Marcell Ozuna and Dexter Fowler have been consistent contributors at the plate.
Today, a 6-3 win over the Reds, Dakota Hudson wasn't dominant but didn't let the game get away from him before exiting in the sixth inning.
All Ozuna did was homer, double and drive in the team's first five runs.
Long way to go, and there will be more valleys to come, but maybe this team might amount to something.