Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
dtizzle
Minors (Triple A)

The curious case of T. Fitzsimmons

It is 1908 in my historical league. All the historical players (majors, minors) are coming in the draft. As I am playing this year out I see Tom Fitzsimmons who I drafted late 1907 get a shot in the starting lineup. As it is 1908 home runs are at a low, but I see this dude hitting them. I looked at his home run Power rankings and he has a 94! I looked at the whole league and the next highest is a guy with 68. Plus he is 18 years old! So excited for what he might become. Curious if others have seen outliers like this in their historical leagues?
Attached Images
dtizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
dtizzle
Minors (Triple A)

And this is how is season ended up. Not good by any means, but did lead the league with 18 HR
Attached Images
Old 01-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
theflorios16
Bat Boy

the only record of a tom fitzsimmons was a player who played for Brooklyn in 1919 and only played like four games...........strange
theflorios16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflorios16 View Post
the only record of a tom fitzsimmons was a player who played for Brooklyn in 1919 and only played like four games...........strange
Anybody who played in the big leagues is in there, and now with the addition of the minor league database, even those who didn't are. Even the infamous Moonlight Graham was in the game pre-OOTP17 when the minor league database was first introduced.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Fitzsimmons has partial minor-league stats accumulated over an approximate 9-year minor league career, per bbref. Since OP indicates that "...All the historical players (majors, minors) are coming in the draft..." then those minor-league stats should be factoring into ratings. That said, those stats show 4 homers is over 1,900 at-bats, so having significant power in OOTP is a bit odd (as is his resulting extra-base stats in OOTP of just one double to go along 18 HR's and 3 triples out of his 67 hits. Very strange.)

At any rate, it's stuff like this that makes playing with minor-leagues fun... depending upon one's perspective & expectations...
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #6
dtizzle
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Fitzsimmons has partial minor-league stats accumulated over an approximate 9-year minor league career, per bbref. Since OP indicates that "...All the historical players (majors, minors) are coming in the draft..." then those minor-league stats should be factoring into ratings. That said, those stats show 4 homers is over 1,900 at-bats, so having significant power in OOTP is a bit odd (as is his resulting extra-base stats in OOTP of just one double to go along 18 HR's and 3 triples out of his 67 hits. Very strange.)

At any rate, it's stuff like this that makes playing with minor-leagues fun... depending upon one's perspective & expectations...

Agree. I’ve attached his baseball ref page. Interesting enough now in 1909 and his home run powers has dipped to 84. But he is hitting behind honus so he has a nice rbi. Plus now hitting .250Name:  IMG_0263.JPG
Views: 272
Size:  258.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #7
dtizzle
Minors (Triple A)

So the story of fitzsimmons continues. We are now in 1911. His last 3 year homer totals are 18, 19, and 20 respectively. But his home run power has now dropped to 64. And he is only 21 years old. Odd.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

When I get that far I will be sure to look him up.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
dtizzle
Minors (Triple A)

Now ready to start 1914 season and his power numbers are now decreased to a Home Run Power of 49.

Tom was the MVP in 1911 with 20 HR and 112 RBI to go along with hitting .350

But 1912 and 1913 saw his homer totals dip to 7 and 6 respectively and now has been replaced in the starting lineup by Fritz Maisel at 3B and is now the utility IF behind Fritz and a 40 year old Honus Wagner. He is still ranked fairly highly so I am hoping for a resurgence at some point.

And he is only 23.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #10
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Caused by a typo in the database.
If you click on the Real Stats tab in the Player Editor you will see it.

Has been fixed just now but I am sure there are more in the database. Clean up is a continual process.

When you find one please post it in the historical sub-forum in Bug Reports. Things that do not get reported there tend to go unfixed for obvious reasons.

Thanks.

Last edited by Spritze; 01-15-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #11
dtizzle
Minors (Triple A)

It is now 1917. Tom is 25 and completely declined. Hitting a robust .190 with 0 HR. But he is an exceptional fielder (now plays all IF positions) so has carved a role. Will always Love the time I had with home run tommy