Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #21
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Only compared with Stan Musial and Babe Ruth !! Actually there is a great article on his website by Bill James (THAT Bill James) that shows that while it is very close, Al Kaline was actually over his career a little better than Roberto Clemente. And Clemente was one of the very best players I ever saw when I was young. Kaline was already somewhat past his prime - I started following baseball in 1969, so just after the Tigers won that great World Series. My apologies David Watts !
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #22
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Only compared with Stan Musial and Babe Ruth !! Actually there is a great article on his website by Bill James (THAT Bill James) that shows that while it is very close, Al Kaline was actually over his career a little better than Roberto Clemente. And Clemente was one of the very best players I ever saw when I was young. Kaline was already somewhat past his prime - I started following baseball in 1969, so just after the Tigers won that great World Series. My apologies David Watts !
Kaline and Clemente are pretty much neck and neck to me. Maybe a slight edge to Clemente, but we are talking about guys that were probably better than 99.8 or 99.9% of players to ever put on a pair of cleats. Once you reach that level, comparison becomes almost irrelevant.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:08 AM   #23
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Here are the standings for 1949: We made it to .500, but our hopes for contention fell to the awesome season by the Bethlehem Steelers behind Charlie Keller and Howie Pollett, and the fact that we lost promising young starter Lefty Williams for the season with bone chips in his elbow, and lost our first baseman Dee Fondy for most of the season. We had adequate backups for each, but both had started out with all-star level numbers. Oh well, next year maybe.
Attached Images
Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #24
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Here is how our hitters and pitchers did: our rotation was pretty good but not world-beating, and while Berra and Baker are clearly major stars now, we tried three shortstops - Hunnefield, Keonig and Jurges, none of whom really came through - how to replace the retired Honus Wagner?! - and without Fondy our offense floundered. We need to upgrade in the outfield.
Attached Images
Old 05-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #25
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Well, the shortstop crisis should be resolved. We got Maury Wills in the draft. Too many 1960s players have already shown up - I wanted them to come in after a couple of decades maybe, but a lot are already here because they started in the 50s. So be it.

And we have a leadoff hitter with speed, and a double play combo of Red Schoendienst and Maury Wills, with Dee Fondy at first (if he stays healthy), Home Run Baker at third, and Yogi behind the plate. Great infield. Outfield still a work in progress of course.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #26
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here is how our hitters and pitchers did: our rotation was pretty good but not world-beating, and while Berra and Baker are clearly major stars now, we tried three shortstops - Hunnefield, Keonig and Jurges, none of whom really came through - how to replace the retired Honus Wagner?! - and without Fondy our offense floundered. We need to upgrade in the outfield.
Looks like a 26-year old Honus Wagner is going to get taken first overall in the inaugural draft for my new historical random debut league, and really it's not close. Baker's an absolute stud.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #27
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Yeah Baker hit .293 with 22 homers in only his second season.

Wagner is a player I would nearly always draft first in an inaugural draft. One of the true all -time greats.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #28
italyprof
All Star Reserve

We beat the reigning champions the Bethlehem Steelers 6-3 on Opening Day behind a gritty performance by Robin Roberts. We made so many trades I can't recount them, mainly to shake up the outfield, I thought the pieces just did not fit together well. It is still not complete, but I think it's better.

Our OF is now a platoon of left-handers Debs Garms and Lee Magee in left and right, and right-handers Eddie Koy and Pete Fox, with Andy Pafko in Center, and Frank Demaree, who will be a starter in a few years, but is still young, as the backup.

Garms is a very useful player - would fit in great in today's mixed up game with 13 pitchers on a staff (I hate it). He can play 3B a little SS in a crisis and any outfield position. I even have him as the second backup at 1B. He hits well.

So the outfield is still not going to terrify anyone, but it is competent.

But our IF of Yogi at C, Dee Fondy, Red Schoendienst, Frank Home Run Baker, and Maury Wills is pretty impressive. I hope to be competitive now with a lineup of Wills, Schoendienst, Baker, Berra, Fondy, Garms/Koy, Pafko, Magee/Fox. If our pitching holds up...
Old 05-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #29
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Great infield! Good luck this year.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #30
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Biinghamton won the World Series in 1950, defeating the Green Bay Packers four games to two.

I nearly had a heart attack when our best player, Home Run Baker went down with back problems a few days before the season ended. But I played him in the Series as a starter after letting him rest for the last few days of the season. He hit .400 in the WS, and Yogi Berra hit three homers. Newcombe, and Sad Sam jones each won a Series game, though Robin Roberts was outpitched by Dizzy Dean of the Packers in the two games we lost.

Here are the standings and leaderboards:
Attached Images
Old 05-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #31
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Here are our team stats:
Attached Images
Old 05-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #32
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Just curious as to whether you use minor leagues or reserve rosters. Minor leagues seem to be creating an issue where free agents will inexplicably show up on the first day of the offseason. If one uses reserve rosters, this does not appear to happen, and this only seems to be happening in random debut leagues.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #33
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Just curious as to whether you use minor leagues or reserve rosters. Minor leagues seem to be creating an issue where free agents will inexplicably show up on the first day of the offseason. If one uses reserve rosters, this does not appear to happen, and this only seems to be happening in random debut leagues.
I will look into it - in this league and the really new one - with 28 teams, that I just started once the season ends and report back. Can't say that I see this in previous leagues. But maybe it happens with historical minors? I don't use those. Just A, AA, AAA that I create, with strict limits - 15 players max for each of the three, age limits 17-26 for A with 9 years max pro service, 18-29 for AA with 10 years max pro service, 21-56 for AAA (the high max is for Satchel Paige mainly, maybe for Bartolo Colon !), with no pro service limit.

This way free agents ARE created but mostly players that are not useful to teams and then I can retired them all en masse, to keep the total number in the league from getting unwieldy. Or, if there are shortages on rosters, run a 2-3 round free agent draft and get them onto teams they can be useful to.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #34
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I will look into it - in this league and the really new one - with 28 teams, that I just started once the season ends and report back. Can't say that I see this in previous leagues. But maybe it happens with historical minors? I don't use those. Just A, AA, AAA that I create, with strict limits - 15 players max for each of the three, age limits 17-26 for A with 9 years max pro service, 18-29 for AA with 10 years max pro service, 21-56 for AAA (the high max is for Satchel Paige mainly, maybe for Bartolo Colon !), with no pro service limit.

This way free agents ARE created but mostly players that are not useful to teams and then I can retired them all en masse, to keep the total number in the league from getting unwieldy. Or, if there are shortages on rosters, run a 2-3 round free agent draft and get them onto teams they can be useful to.
Well, I have looked into the Free Agents in a Random Debut League with minor leagues issue - in this league I have run through three seasons - the one with Binghamton Barnstormers starting in 1947 using only 1901 to 1960 players, there are 196 free agents.

But all of them seem to have been either not-drafted by the time the draft rounds ended - if I draft five rounds I might have 8 rounds worth of players included sometimes, or they were on teams and were released, often as they aged, given that I set strict limits of age and numbers on my minor leagues.

So, it may not be the minors that are the issue, but undrafted and released players?