Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
evansodo
Bat Boy

Need some pointers

Hi folks, I'm new to baseball and OOTP. I have poked around on the forums to try and find the answers to my questions but had no luck.

The historical sim mode looks really fun, I'd like to start out in 1871 but having a hard time figuring out what settings to use for the most fun of the game. Some questions / topics I need help with are;

-How can I get it so that stats are 'saved' as the season progresses? I did a short test run with the Forest Citys and noticed that as I went through games, the stats weren't being displayed on my roster (for example ERAs/RBIs etc).

- It is still possible to make trades with other clubs this early on? The draft was really shallow, I only have 15 players on my roster.

- How can I prevent injuries? Two months into the season and I have five players out on injury.

- Does the league / finances grow as the seasons progress? (For example will the Mariners become a club in 1977?)

I'm sure i'l have more questions later, but these will do for now.

Thank you!
evansodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

I used everything out of the box during my run in the past. Had a blast.
1. Did you change the drop down menus by chance. Maybe you are looking at stats from some other time.
2. Depends on if they are willing to trade or not.
3. There was a injury setting floating out there or another setting when your setting up your league.
4.Finances grow as you progress along, if you are importing after each year.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Here are some useful pictures

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I would strongly suggest waiting on starting a pre-1901 league.
19th century league can be a headache even for long time players.
I would suggest starting in 1903 as it is more easier to start and just enjoy the game more. If you start earlier you may run into roster problems, rotation problems among other things. Plus if you want real rosters and correct historical league setup you mostly have to do it manually.
Don't get me wrong pre-1901 leagues imo are worth the time spent but for a new person it might be a pain.

Also if you start in 1903 i would suggest making a backup after you have your league setup. Don't get set into playing one way. Try different types.
strict historical, what if type historical, historical with random players, fictional etc till you find what you like. It may be more than just one way.
Don't forget you get 2 license so i think you can run it on 2 computers if you have 2 but im not sure on that.

Try different settings and save a lot till you know what you like.
Oh and use the addons and check the mods on the boards. The ootp team does a great job making the game but members here have also contributed a lot of great mods. Keep in mind this game and boards have been here almost 20 years. There's a lot of fantastic stuff you can find. Like ballparks, logos, jerseys and player photos.
Have fun.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
evansodo
Bat Boy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1964 View Post
I used everything out of the box during my run in the past. Had a blast.
1. Did you change the drop down menus by chance. Maybe you are looking at stats from some other time.
2. Depends on if they are willing to trade or not.
3. There was a injury setting floating out there or another setting when your setting up your league.
4.Finances grow as you progress along, if you are importing after each year.
Hey Scott, thanks for your reply I appreciate it!

1- I didn't mess around with the settings, perhaps I over looked something.

2- Is trading the only way to acquire new players? I see there aren't any minor leagues (which I am assuming is how you can usually get new players rather than trading?)

3- I'll take a look at that.

Quote:
I would strongly suggest waiting on starting a pre-1901 league.
19th century league can be a headache even for long time players.
I would suggest starting in 1903 as it is more easier to start and just enjoy the game more. If you start earlier you may run into roster problems, rotation problems among other things. Plus if you want real rosters and correct historical league setup you mostly have to do it manually.
Don't get me wrong pre-1901 leagues imo are worth the time spent but for a new person it might be a pain.

Also if you start in 1903 i would suggest making a backup after you have your league setup. Don't get set into playing one way. Try different types.
strict historical, what if type historical, historical with random players, fictional etc till you find what you like. It may be more than just one way.
Don't forget you get 2 license so i think you can run it on 2 computers if you have 2 but im not sure on that.

Try different settings and save a lot till you know what you like.
Oh and use the addons and check the mods on the boards. The ootp team does a great job making the game but members here have also contributed a lot of great mods. Keep in mind this game and boards have been here almost 20 years. There's a lot of fantastic stuff you can find. Like ballparks, logos, jerseys and player photos.
Have fun.
Hi BaseballMan, thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread.

I'm glad you mentioned about starting after 1903, it sounds like i need to do some tinkering and messing around to get the hang of things.
evansodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

remember, in the old days, rosters were not 25 players. 15 sounds right for pre-1901.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

I would echo Baseball Man's sentiments on avoiding the 19th century. If you still want to do it, I would start in 1882 because the 1881 expansion is a doozy. Expanding from eight teams to sixteen teams with so few players available means you may end up with teams that don't have enough players to field a team. Also turn injuries way down (or even off) in the 19th century, and put fatigue to high if you want a challenge. Don't challenge already thin rosters with injuries would be my suggestion.

Another way to tackle the 19th century is to use random debut historical, which would give you 44 players per team to start your game off. That way you could even set injuries to high and not worry too much about running out of players. I would suggest using strategy settings from a more modern time (I use 1984, but you could pick earlier if you wanted four man rotations), so you get 4 or 5 man rotations if you're going to go with random debut because otherwise a lot of pitchers will go to waste with 1 man rotations and almost zero bullpen usage.

The main thing to remember with the 19th century is that the game is not set up to handle things as they actually happened IRL. It may never be. So if you want authentic 19th century play, you're kind of out of luck. If you don't mind it being a little less than perfect, you'll be alright. That and turn injuries down or off, and maybe avoid anything pre-1882 due to the crazy expansion between 1881 and 1882.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Another thing to be wary of is that pre-1903 is a boondoggle in getting the correct stats as well between the correct teams and correct schedule lengths.

Since teams don't really drop out of the league, you're constantly looking at 2+ teams (and teams like the Chicago White Sox by the late 1880s/early 1890s) that literally didn't exist and make the overall numbers not quite match up to the number of teams in real life.

Also the schedules are usually off, especially by the 1880s/1890s where you start running into 154 game schedules. By 1886, the NL was mostly in the 136-140 game schedule.

They had a 154 game schedule in 1892 then went: 132 in 1893, 134 in 1894, 132 in 1895, 132 in 1896, 136 in 1897, and 154 again in 1898. Then they played just 140 games from 1900 through 1903.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote