Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Maybe the game has gone as far as it can (and that's ok)

Been buying this game for about 15 years, every year like clockwork. Will continue to buy every year for as long as they keep making it. Because some things are so good they just deserve it. But the new features the last couple of years are a little underwhelming. Maybe there's just not much room to improve at this point in the games development. If that's the case, so be it. I'll still be here, drinking adequate bourbon and looking for the next fictional triple crown winner.
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
Been buying this game for about 15 years, every year like clockwork. Will continue to buy every year for as long as they keep making it. Because some things are so good they just deserve it. But the new features the last couple of years are a little underwhelming. Maybe there's just not much room to improve at this point in the games development. If that's the case, so be it. I'll still be here, drinking adequate bourbon and looking for the next fictional triple crown winner.
I suppose that kind of thing is subjective, isn't it? I happen to hold the opposite view of this year's additions. I was absolutely blown away when I learned that both Tournaments and the Negro Leagues (to name just two new features) were added to this year's version.

We can't always get all the features we want every year. Some people waited patiently for years for graphics to be added, others for a tournament builder. I'm sure there have been years when you were overwhelmed by the new additions while others weren't. Again, it's subjective.

The important thing to remember I think is that the OOTP dev team has clearly demonstrated over the years that they will always do their utmost to see to it that ALL of their customers eventually get a seat at the table. There's nothing wrong with that, right?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
Winnipeg59
All Star Starter

I too believe there is plenty of work that can still find it's way into the game. In my opinion, a lot of that is behind the scenes stuff though, which doesn't carry the same weight as "new features!"

I think the AI can always be improved until just this side of human.

Negotiating contracts and extensions and being well aware of how humans can still out think them when adding opt-outs, options and buyouts, can always be improved. I think you can always aspire to better game management, lineups, rotations, player rest, small ball tactics and much more.

That said, I can always see the need to never be as "smart" as a human because that too is subjective and the game could get far too hard for the casual and new player. And I'm sure a first-timer doesn't want to immediately match wits with a ML manager/general manager AI.

But it would be the ultimate test!

Last edited by Winnipeg59; 03-09-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Winnipeg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:15 PM   #4
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

I am still waiting for the vr version...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:10 AM   #5
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you might get what you need"

Last edited by Cryomaniac; 01-09-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #6
mm7607
All Star Reserve

One area this game absolutely sucks is the lame record book. 20 year old obsolete games have a better record books then this one. With all the screaming people do about immersion you would think immersing into a decent record book would be as priority.

I kinda agree with the OP. Most of the new features this round will probably never see action on my PC.

BTW I'm not bashing the game, I pre-order every year and am happy to. I would just like to see a great record book. Give me one of those and I would gladly pay 50 bucks for this game.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm7607 View Post
One area this game absolutely sucks is the lame record book. 20 year old obsolete games have a better record books then this one. With all the screaming people do about immersion you would think immersing into a decent record book would be as priority.

I kinda agree with the OP. Most of the new features this round will probably never see action on my PC.

BTW I'm not bashing the game, I pre-order every year and am happy to. I would just like to see a great record book. Give me one of those and I would gladly pay 50 bucks for this game.
What kind of improvements to the record book would you like to see?

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Well, I think there are many ways the game could be improved to "break through".

1) When managing a team in the current season I want every move I make to be mirrored by the real life team. As the OOTP Marlins GM I traded for Jake Odorizzi in the off season. But for some reason he was pitching for Tampa Bay yesterday.

2) On that note I think the actual Marlins should be sending me a paycheck every season I manage the OOTP Marlins to a better record than they do in real life.

There you go Gents. If you want to really improve OOTP here's two ideas to chew on.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #9
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

Need ToConcetrate On Bugs/Fixes

I agree the new features are at a minimum for OOTP 18 but like he said I will continue to buy the game because there is nothing else out there to compare. I have bought every year since OOTP 3. I still would like to see the bugs and fixes be concentrated on. The issue about pitching rotation errors after a rainout and a doubleheader is scheduled; the 7 day lineup issues that has been posted and discussed many times but never properly addressed and fixed. Please work on those repairs.
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg59 View Post
I think the AI can always be improved until just this side of human.
Wow. I never looked at it that way. I wonder if it's possible that the AI in this game threatens the jobs of real GM's and managers in the future. Could a mlb owner just throw his arms in the air and say "I've had it! Release the whole front office and fire up that OOTP gadget."???
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
Anyone
Major Leagues

It hasn't gone nearly as far as it can go.

I love the game, so this isn't bashing it as it is in any way.

But I can think of many improvements I'd like to see, many more than they could possibly implement in one season. Even if they let me be in charge of what improvements they made, it would take them years to get through my wish list.

I hate to list any, because I'll leave some out.

But just for the sake of argument, let's say that the AI was perfect, the player development engine was perfect, everything about the simulation of baseball on both the GM end and game playing end was perfect. It isn't. It's amazingly good, but there are many improvements that could still make it even better.

If that were true, they could concentrate on graphics. The 3D engine took a huge step forward in 17. I think and hope that will continue. The game won't be what it could be, though, until it can (someone else made the comparison, and I now say it over and over because it's a good one) look as much like a real life baseball game as Earl Weaver Baseball did over 20 years ago. Instead of pawns moving toward the ball, human figures could be running towards the ball, shown making diving catches where appropriate, etc..

Once it reached about that level of graphics, I'd say further graphic improvements should get a very low priority compared to other things. But if it had nowhere else to improve, then they could go for The Show level graphics.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #12
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

Oh, there's still plenty to be done. See this thread, for example:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=272834
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #13
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

I'm waiting to hear what improvements to the record book are desired? Lukas asked - let's see what people think - especially the person who made the suggestion.

The team obviously looks at our requests.
aslanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #14
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

I would like to see team history records ... longest winning/losing streaks at home/away ... most runs scored/allowed at home/away ... best start ... stuff like that
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #15
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I would lile to see record book include most batting titles home run titles era titles ECT and all time pinch hit stats the team MLB records books and encyclopedia have all of that

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #16
bleachercreature
Major Leagues

I don't know if the game has gone as far as it can. There's plenty of stuff I'd like to see but don't know enough about programming to even have a clue as to the complexities of how to program it.

Ballpark creator

Schedule creator

more flexibility on how and when you start seasons... ie being able to take the roster set included with the game each year and start either right after the World Series or December or January or something, so you can build a league from scratch, complete with coaches signings, etc.

I think the contract logic could be improved. The salaries that are being asked for, we will probably see in a couple of years but I say let it happen first. I know the Kershaw's of the world are already seeing this money but it seems too many guys ask for these salaries.

Additionally, the number of one and two year contracts that are asked for are way off base. Most of your bigger stars sign longer term deals. This is more realistic than in the past for older players but a guy like Mike Trout should not be looking for a one year deal.

The 3D could improve, it doesn't have to be The Show but it's something to work on, Although, many would tell you that's not what this game is about and that's fine too.

I think it was back in .6.5 or so that you had this five day window to sign personnel and could use that to basically dump everyone into free agency and have a signing frenzy. I would not be opposed to seeing this again.

This is probably one of those impossible tasks: (kind of like the idea of completely accurate lefty/right spits). A ballpark database where the game is able to load the attributes, photo and/or 3D image from the correct period.
bleachercreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:42 AM   #17
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane View Post
Wow. I never looked at it that way. I wonder if it's possible that the AI in this game threatens the jobs of real GM's and managers in the future. Could a mlb owner just throw his arms in the air and say "I've had it! Release the whole front office and fire up that OOTP gadget."???
And for just $35!

If I were a MLB owner or GM, I'd have a machine managing within 5 years, so long as the league allowed it. If not, hello circumnavigation!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:41 AM   #18
mm7607
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
What kind of improvements to the record book would you like to see?
As you can see from the suggestions here there are some of us who would love a better book. Team records for games, season and streaks. Lists for 1 hitters, two hitters, or consecutive scoreless innings pitched. Just to name a few.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #19
mtlcash
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Have financials been changed at all? Like spending money on certain things to improve attendance, working on securing tv contracts/advertising, stadium improvements, different scouting, international development has stayed the same for a bit, there's so much that can be added with the money part of this game. There hasn't been much in terms of improvements in that area in many years.

Last edited by mtlcash; 03-11-2017 at 08:53 AM.
mtlcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #20
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

One thing I'd like to see, is for the first season if you start the season, you could start it at the current date of the real life MLB season and have the standings, stats and everything all current to the real life MLB. So if you take over a last place team IRL, they wont be in the first at the end of the OOTP season. It drives me crazy when I see bad teams in real life win the division in the first season. I know OOTP is supposed to be a long term thing, but for realism, it drives me crazy. I'm probably in the minority on this though
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote