Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

OBL Looking For One Owner

The Overlords Baseball League, a non-recalc historical league that began in 1930 and is now prepared to begin 1941, needs one owner for the New York Yankees. We absolutely require a veteran owner who is going to post on our forums. We sim three times per week (Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday) and sim two OOTP weeks at a time.

Aside from that, there's one catch....

You're in the AL East with my Boston Red Sox. As you can see by my signature at the end of this post, I've won 10 of 11 possible Division Championships with my sole loss coming to the Yankees in 1935 when I finished two games back. You need to understand that this is going to be an uphill climb and you may not see a winner in the next season or two (or three). On the upside, the Yankees have a few good, young players in Hank Wyse (SP, 22 years old, 2/9/8 on a 1-10 scale), Al Zarilla (1B, 21 YO, 8/8/4/6/9), Eddie Silber (RF, 26 YO, 8/5/4/8/8) and the big one...

Joe DiMaggio. DiMag is going to be 26 years old next season and has 10/9/9/6/10 Ratings with 9/9/9/6/10 Talents. He has 10 outfield range and is rated as a 10 in LF and CF and a 5 in RF. He has great Intelligence and Work Ethic (we don't play with morale, by the way). In six seasons he has never had less than 185 hits, a .327 BA, 20 HRs or a 55.8 VORP. The only downside is he is potentially a free agent after 1941, our upcoming season.

Ideally, we'd like to get a Yankees fan who is a veteran OOTP owner and will be active in the forums. The Red Sox need a rival in the East. Anyone want the job?
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:12 AM   #2
pbar25
Major Leagues

Quick info on the OBL, which is an outstanding league run by our two commissioners Kelric & BDog.

Scouting is off, 1-10 rating scale, with stars.

AAA, AA, A minor league systems. Database includes players such as Josh Gibson & Satchel Paige - both currently in the league.

Amateur Draft & Free Agency are both done in-game. OOTP9 is required.

Finances are on, trading draft choices is allowed, injuries are set to low or very low.

It's a historical league, with a twist where we have the NL & AL split into two divisions of 4 teams each - resulting in a League Championship Series each season.

You don't need to write or anything like that. We simply require an owner that will take part in polls or any important league matters/discussions. After a number of different Yankee owners, we won't take a first-timer or somebody that will lose interest if they don't come in first place at some point soon.

The Yankees need a new owner that will stand up to the menace which has become the Boston Red Sox within the AL East. It will be a challenge, but you have Joe DiMaggio and there has to be a Yankees fan out there that is up to the task.

Below is a bunch of info on the current makeup as of 12-01-40 -- which is where we are today -- just started the free agent season:

AL East
Boston Red Sox 2-time Champion
Current Team Leaders - 1B Josh Gibson, 2B Sammy Hughes, SS Arky Vaughan, SP Bill Swift, SP Van Mungo
Past Stars - SS Joe Cronin, SP Chet Brewer, OF Auggie Galan

Philadelphia Athletics
Current Team Leaders - OF Ted Williams, OF Joe Medwick, OF Jim Gleeson
Future Star - SS Lou Boudreau

New York Yankees - FOR SALE
Current Team Leaders - OF Joe DiMaggio, OF Sam Chapman, SP Gene Schott
Future Stars - 1B Al Zarilla, SP Marv Breuer, SP Roger Wolff
Past Stars - OF Chuck Klein, OF Cool Papa Bell, SS Luis Appling, C Gus Mancuso

Washington Senators
Current Team Leaders - 2B Jackie Robinson, 3B Don Lang, OF George Selkirk
Future Stars - 2B Jackie Robinson, OF Gene Woodling, SP Allie Reynolds

AL West
Detroit Tigers 2-time World Champion
Current Team Leaders - SP Satchel Paige, SP Lefty Grove, 2B Joe 'Flash' Gordon
Past Stars - 2B Newt Allen, SS Travis Jackson, SP Clint Brown

Chicago White Sox 2-time World Champion
Current Team Leaders - OF Hank Sauer, OF Goody Rosen, 2B Les Mallon, SP Joe Dobson
Past Stars - 1B Jimmie Foxx, SP Ted Lyons, OF Goose Goslin, SP's Paul & Dizzy Dean

St Louis Browns
Current Team Leaders - 1B Luke Easter, SP Roy Weir, OF Sam Jethroe
Future Stars - SP Virgil Trucks, SS Johnny Pesky
Past Stars - 3B Stan Hack

Cleveland Indians
Current Team Leaders - OF Dom DiMaggio, 1B Zeke Bonura, C Ernie Lombardi
Past Stars - 2B Charlie Gehringer, OF Oscar Charleston, 1B Babe Ruth

NL East
Boston Braves 1930 World Champion
Current Team Leaders - SP Schoolboy Rowe, 1B Bob Thurman, 3B Stan Hack, OF Pete Reiser, OF Wally Berger
Past Stars - SP Pat Malone, SS Dick Bartell, OF Showboat Fisher, 2B Buddy Myer

Philadelphia Phillies

Current Team Leaders - 1B Bobby Doerr, OF Stan Musial, 3B Ray Dandridge, C Bill Dickey, SP Al Benton
Future Stars - SP Jim Bagby, Jr, SP Johnny Beazley
Past Stars - SP Ralph Birkofer, SP Lefty Grove

Brooklyn Dodgers 1933 World Champion
Current Team Leaders - SP Larry French, SP Bucky Walters, C Mickey Cochrane
Past Stars - 1B Lou Gehrig, SS Willie Wells, OF Chick Hafey, OF Carl Reynolds, SP Lefty Grove
Future Stars - OF Ralph Kiner
Go Dodgers! 1933 World Champs!!

New York Giants
Current Team Leaders - SS Bill Knickerbocker, OF Wally Judnich....
bahhhhh....it's the Giants.......
Go Dodgers! 1933 World Champs!!

NL West
St Louis Cardinals 1940 Reigning World Champions
Current Team Leaders - OF Mel Ott, 1B Lou Gehrig, 2B Charlie Gehringer, SP Ralph Birkofer
Future Stars - OF Monte Irvin & SS Mickey Witek

Pittsburgh Pirates
Current Team Leaders - 3B Buddy Lewis, 2B Billy Herman, 1B Buck Leonard, OF Gee Walker
Past Stars - OF Babe Herman, SP Johnny Allen
Future Stars - SS Phil Rizzuto & SP Warren Spahn

Cincinnati Reds
Current Team Leaders - SP Jesse Flores, OF Tommy Holmes
Future Stars - 3B George Kell, OF Stan Spence

Chicago Cubs
2-time World Champion
Current Team Leaders - OF Harry Walker, 3B Ed Morgan, SP Dutch Leonard
Future Stars - SP Junior Thompson
Past Stars - SP Hilton Smith, OF Mel Ott, SP Bill Swift
pbar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
pbar25
Major Leagues

it's a great league, there has to be a veteran out there that wants to jump into the Summer of 1940. Your division will have DiMaggio, Williams, Josh Gibson, and Jackie Robinson for gosh sakes.

The greatest players of all-time after the first decade of baseball within the OBL have been the first two picks from our inaugural draft :

#1 Satchel Paige
#2 Lou Gehrig

While Kelric has dominated the AL East with the Red Sox...
The White Sox, Tigers, & Cubs each took home two World Series titles along with the Red Sox, so there is certainly balance and major competition within the league.

My Dodgers have won the NL East 8 out of 10 seasons, but came up with only one title in 1933. The only season the Boston Braves took the NL East, they won the World Series in our 1930 inaugural season.

And no, the Giants have never won the title.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Sounds tempting. A league where the commish has won 10 of 11 divisions. Too funny!
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
barracus79
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by progen View Post
Sounds tempting. A league where the commish has won 10 of 11 divisions. Too funny!
lol
barracus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
pbar25
Major Leagues

Quote:
Commissioners more often then not are successful in their own leagues for many reasons.....
1) because they never miss a sim and are the most active owners
2) they are a commissioner of an OOTP league. Generally speaking, they are major baseball fans that know more then the average Joe.

However, our league has two commissioners -- Kelric (Red Sox) & BDog (Giants). Kelric has won 2 World Series in 11 years, BDog has been to the playoffs once.

8 of our 16 owners are original owners.

For those that like competition, seeing a division won by the same person 10 of 11 years is exactly what they are looking for.
But yes, if you are looking for a cakewalk I'd stick with AI as your competition if this league sounds too scary.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And your point is?

Don't make assumptions, it'll be the downfall of many opportunities in life for you.

This is a solid league, top to bottom. There is no cheating, tanking, editing, or any other shady happenings. Kelric and BDog are Co-Commishes. Kelric happens to be a very good manager, thus the many division titles.

If anyone (excepting those with unfounded assumptions, you wouldn't make a good owner anyway) is tired of winning in other leagues or solo and would like a real challange, take the Yankees. You'll have your hands full and have a lot of fun along with it.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 11-22-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
bdogrover
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just to defend myself for a second from being crowned the poster child for online commissioners who SUCK, I'd like to say the following:

The Giants came within a half inning of winning the World Series. We were also the third most winning team in the league for the OBL's first few seasons. We just happened to be stuck behind the Dodgers in the NL East.

Then, of course, I borked the club something fierce.
Owner, New York Mets - 4OTP
bdogrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
statman
Major Leagues

This is a great league, look around they are tough to find. When I joined as an original owner like most I was skeptical, didn't know either kelric or bdog and I have been in online leagues for 8 years.

But both of these commisioners have what most GM's crave for. Never misses a sim, quickly but not too quick gets us threw the off season. Always listens to the other owners, no matter how outrageous I am, oops we are. And yes kelric has won a ton of titles and will be very tough to beat, he's just that good.

So do want the ultimate challenge to unseat a quality GM, if so the Yanks are yours. If not you can have my team, the White Sox. They are very competive, batlle year after year with the Tigers. I have won 2 WS Titles and still have a very good core of young players.

I myself love the challenge of unseating the best and right now kelric "thinks" he is the best. So take your shot or if you just want to get in a great league with a good shot right away take the White Sox.

Either way, if you want a league that will take you through the glory years of yesteryear and head towards the future, it gets no better than this.

Terry
OTM Chicago Grizzlies (2010, 2013)
USBLM New York Yankees (2009)
RTBL Baltimore Orioles (2012)
CDL Colorado Rockies (2055)
FOBL Normal Cornbelters (2061-62)
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
nate7891
All Star Reserve

PM sent

"If they blew up Wrigley tomorrow, it wouldn't bother me at all. That ivy is nasty, the infield grass is waist high, and they definitely have the most vulgar fans." -- Houston Astros outfielder Lance Berkman.

Easiest job in Sports: Third Base Coach

Job Requirements: Depth perception, and ability to do “the windmill”.
nate7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #11
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to thank all those who expressed interest in the spot, we landed a guy who I think will make a great rival with the Yankees.

I'd also like to take offense to any hint that my success is because I'm running the league and therefore must be cheating. I've been playing OOTP since OOTP4 was released and have been in at least one online league at a time almost constantly for more than six and a half years. I've been Commissioner of three leagues, two of which I founded, including the OBL. It is experience, skill and time more than anything. I get my share of injuries and Talent drops, believe me. If you don't believe me, just ask the other owners in the league... I bitch about every single one.

Last edited by Kelric; 11-24-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
ChronX
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'd also like to take offense to the implication that just because the commish was successful there was something wrong with the league.

I was the owner of the Cubs throughout the 30s and never had a moment's qualm about how the league was run. There was good communication, things happened when they were supposed to, and the league was a lot of fun.

I departed the league on good terms having simply gotten overscheduled with other hobbies and real life commitments, and will go back when my time is more available. To suugest that the other 14 owners of the league are either nitwits or tanking so the commish can cheat his way to glory was very unfair.
ChronX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
bdogrover
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Bumping this thread as the league is currently in need of a new owner for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

We have just completed the 1941 season, during which the Pirates won the NL pennant. So, we have an opening for a very competitive team here -- they came within inches of winning the championship last season.

We'll begin the offseason schedule this weekend with the amateur draft, so we'd like to have an owner in place by then. As always, we are looking for a dedicated owner who will stay with the league and actively participate in the league community. If interested, please PM me with your interest and OOTP online league experience.

As always, you can check out the league, including rules, forum and the like at Overlords Baseball
Owner, New York Mets - 4OTP
bdogrover is offline   Reply With Quote