Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #2781
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

As things stand right now, all of the playoff spots in Bronze 232 are occupied by OL teams!

That's pretty nifty considering there's only 12 OL teams in the league (sorry if I didn't count you!)
Attached Images
Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 PM   #2782
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
Entry Pool plays around the clock. You have to be putting forth tremendous effort to make only 260 PP in two days, which would work out to more than 80 games played against not great teams. I call BS.
Of course you do.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #2783
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
It is my kids and the team they set up for their friend and dad.
I finally had them show me the team yesterday and they essentially invested into cheap bronze and upgraded to silver pitchers with high movement and control.

I don’t believe they have a single great card or had any luck. I will check tonight but I am sure they just sold whoever they got.

If you get super defensive players, you will want to play them and not bench them.
Aparicio will get you 5WAR if you play him full time for many of the leagues.
Same with Belanger at 2B. He trains to 123 or 128 and gets you gold glove defense.

Also, not sure I understand the park setup.
Contact for left handed I understand but you don’t really have any power hitters. You will end up hurting yourself more than you help yourself. If you only have 2 righty hitters that can hit HRs, you may as well not focus on them but the rest of the team.
Otherwise, the teams with live cards and big power will thank you every time.

Essentially, their model is typically...
1B LHB hitter + defensive RHB as platoon
2B Defense. Ignore offense
3B Hitter. Kell works well for early levels
SS Defense
LF Ichiro / Or any of the LHBs with good defense
CF Defense until you can afford a great gold card.
RF Gwynn / maybe platoon either LF or RF

SPs - Movement, control, then stuff.
RPs - Movement, control, then stuff except
for Closer and maybe one of your Setup pitchers

Most of the silver players on the team are pretty reasonable in cost.
Also, the kids sell players as soon as they see that they can sell for more points and get a cheaper but equally good replacement.

Gold cards are not really necessary.
If you have LaValliere, you don’t need a Gold card catcher. Sell him.
Use LaValliere full time against RHPs and find a cheap bronze card for LHPs and as backup (Boone, Sundberg, ...).

Get your wins and points going and then start to accumulate and look for improvements.

I will take a look again at the team in a bit once the kids can log into the account.

Also, if you have spare time, play a historical game for the extra pack.
If you wanted to be really on top, you could earn one Monday, Thursday and Sunday.
In other words, 3 packs before you get to Iron league.
Even if they are bad, you will get yourself 150 or more points, especially with the Auction house giving you great return on live cards.
Thanks for the park advice. Ill try that. I wanted to maximize points at the expense of wins and losses for the EP. I set up the power for park because my gold from starter packs was Goldschmidt. I just haven't gotten around to changing it since I sold him. I will when I can. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Findest2001; 06-20-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:00 PM   #2784
Magus978
All Star Starter

Whoever wins the NC Central in B232 is probably a sitting duck for whoever loses the duel for the top seed between Tacoma and Victoria, especially if it's me

Another week in bronze is the best thing for my 80's All-Stars anyway. A week with proper ballpark factors will do wonders

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #2785
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I told the kids you almost called them whales.... j/k.

It is all about picking the right players and then playing them.
The biggest difference maker is their pitching.
Top ERA with last place in strikeouts.

This is the cool part about PT20. Defensive superstars can really help your pitchers more than they often can help themselves with their higher Stuff numbers.
Invest into your defense and you will pick up more wins.

They started out with a Gold card that gave them about 1900 PP.

So a nice way to get started but you have probably more points invested into your team than they do.

3 of their pitchers sell for around 400P, one for around 700 and Passeau was their big investment from all their sales.

Stay positive.....wanted to see you enjoy the new team...not feel worse.
I don't feel worse. I'm just working from the ground up is all. Like we all have to I thirst for knowledge
Old 06-20-2019, 11:13 PM   #2786
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
I don't feel worse. I'm just working from the ground up is all. Like we all have to I thirst for knowledge
Remember this is supposed to be fun.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #2787
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Thanks for the park advice. Ill try that. I wanted to maximize points at the expense of wins and losses for the EP. I set up the power for park because my gold from starter packs was Goldschmidt. I just haven't gotten around to changing it since I sold him. I will when I can. Thanks for the advice.
My park advice is to go: max on everything. Two simple and proven theories, hitting generates more points than defense(including pitching) and chicks dig the long ball. Just shove as many cheap contact or gap(XBH) batters as you can and watch your points roll.

My roster aren't the cheapest because when I decided to change the team into an experimental team, I have already played a season in Iron and has points to spend, but here are the ultra-cheap players who have given me good points:

Numbers are [AVG. Price in last 7 days] for [PP he has generated for me in 3 and 2/3 seasons]

Hardware Heroes 3B 69 Bill Madlock: 75 for 3,750
Rookie Sensation SS 74 Corey Seager: 250 for 2,705(Only have him for 2 and 2/3 seasons)
Record Breaker CF 62 Matty Alou: 73 for 1,670
All-Star CF 70 Willie Davis: 263 for 2,930
All-Star RF 68 Ken Griffey: 63 for 2,320

These are all players below 300 PP with proven results from me. You don't even have to like them, just grab them (preferably, ASAP), farm PP in EP or maybe a season of Iron, and sell them by then when you have PP to put a team you really want. All my strategy bars are set to the middle, I just completely ignore them. Ballparks are maximum hitting, 1.100 and 1.500 on everything. And don't bother with pitchers, I tried the 128 stuff pitchers and they generate more points than an average pitchers but not by a lot.

Edit: I would also point out that the PP report do not include "team achievements" like Comeback, 10Rs in a innings and stuff like that. I get a lot of those too so they will earn more than the stated PPs.

Last edited by Goliathus; 06-21-2019 at 01:42 AM.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:18 PM   #2788
Magus978
All Star Starter

I may actually go all max factors next week for my Patriots. I mean, what's the worst that could happen, other than my pitching being the biggest dumpster fire since the current-day Mets?

Old 06-20-2019, 11:19 PM   #2789
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
During Entry league you can change it whenever you want to...so you can already change it now, save it, and not worry about it until you want to make a second change down the road.

Also, if you want to play Ichiro and Gwynn at the same time, put Ichiro into LF (he will train to almost 100) while Gwynn is already at 85 in RF.
So you only need to worry about CF that can easily be filled with a defensive star.

Neither Ichiro or Gwynn are great in CF (unless you have the Gold Ichiro card).

Down the road (once you upgrade to some better hitters), you can still use your trained Ichiro as a backup and defensive replacement.
I believe the kids still use him on their Gold Seattle Endless Summer -OL team that manages to stay competitive.

Keep up the positive spirit and win some more PPs.

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 PM   #2790
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
I may actually go all max factors next week for my Patriots. I mean, what's the worst that could happen, other than my pitching being the biggest dumpster fire since the current-day Mets?
A very upset Magus when pitchers start to have ERA of 4-5 or higher? :-)

I can't see your Patriots team anymore....so not sure how you do in terms of power hitters.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #2791
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
A very upset Magus when pitchers start to have ERA of 4-5 or higher? :-)

I can't see your Patriots team anymore....so not sure how you do in terms of power hitters.
What power?

I'm lucky they hit for anything nowadays

Besides, I'd expect the pitching to be lousy if I cranked the factors up all the way. I'd be mad if everyone had ERA's over 6 by mid-season...but with jacked up offensive factors, anything 4 and under would be fine.

Also, update for you on the Mets' Warren Spahn. The team has pulled away a bit in their division, 10 clear of Redmond. Spahn has been getting better and better. He's fought his way back to a 5-5 record and a 4.37 ERA.

Last edited by Magus978; 06-20-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #2792
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:

My experimental team is consistently 15th in the conference in most pitching stats. If you want to overcome your feeling, do that for 3-4 seasons and you won't care anymore. My ERA this season is 5.66(15th), Starters' 6.64(15th), Bullpen's 5.39(15th). Aside from WAR at 11th and Strikesout at 1st(all hail the Stuffs), I have a clean 15th all across the board. Of course, it got extra worst this season because I am experimenting with Opener/Follower. The result so far has been horrible. The AI manager simply doesn't accept the brilliance of "my LHP Opener/RHP Follower and have anyone of them pitch long" strategy. Adjusted strategy slider and force role and stuff everyday, still no cigar so far.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:37 PM   #2793
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliathus View Post
My experimental team is consistently 15th in the conference in most pitching stats. If you want to overcome your feeling, do that for 3-4 seasons and you won't care anymore. My ERA this season is 5.66(15th), Starters' 6.64(15th), Bullpen's 5.39(15th). Aside from WAR at 11th and Strikesout at 1st(all hail the Stuffs), I have a clean 15th all across the board. Of course, it got extra worst this season because I am experimenting with Opener/Follower. The result so far has been horrible. The AI manager simply doesn't accept the brilliance of "my LHP Opener/RHP Follower and have anyone of them pitch long" strategy. Adjusted strategy slider and force role and stuff everyday, still no cigar so far.
Oh god...my groundballers will kill me for the potential sin I'm about to commit on them. I do think we have the hitters needed to win games with such a setup. Maybe bronze Ichiro & bronze Gwynn would push .350 in those conditions

Old 06-21-2019, 01:45 AM   #2794
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:

Hardware Heroes 3B 69 Bill Madlock: 75 for 3,750
Rookie Sensation SS 74 Corey Seager: 250 for 2,705(Only have him for 2 and 2/3 seasons)
Record Breaker CF 62 Matty Alou: 73 for 1,670
All-Star CF 70 Willie Davis: 263 for 2,930
All-Star RF 68 Ken Griffey: 63 for 2,320

Terrific post....I don't believe I can even get near this amount with a fully defensive park in 3.5 seasons. I have 77 Keith Hernandez for about 1700 and Belanger for 2830 (for rare play)
Most others (like Gwynn) are closer to 1000 PPs

But then I have some decent pitcher returns:
Reuschel for 4000, Ray Brown for 2750 and Passeau for 1750.

Not sure what the return is for pitchers in an offensive parks.
It would be great if the game actually balanced out the rewards for both styles of play.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:46 AM   #2795
Goliathus
Major Leagues

The OL competition is tougher and so are the competition above Iron(I realized Iron is a farming ground, I have seen a lot of abandoned teams right there that are just free PPs for any active team). You definitely need more than Ichiro and Gwynn if you want to commit to that plan. I think you will need to commit at least 7 good and above hitters to pull that off. Or have some defensive wizards to sort of shore up your weakness. My experimental team has no defense and that is a problem for Bronze, which I am happy with cuz I don't want to go to silver while I am experimenting, but not for you if you want to win.

If you don't have elite all-around batters, might as well stick to a more specialized ballpark. You will win more that way, albeit with less PP gain, I guess.

Edit: All my pitchers are stuff-based and the best of them have 800-1000 from the K-related and LOB achievements. In theory, I think a team made up of great MOV + CON pitchers, great defensive fielders who can hit for contacts and such can earn fair amount of PP. You just need to get a lot of the perfect games, Maddux and that kind of achievements. The great contact hitters and defensive wizards can generate okay PP from batting and might net you some defensive achievements like DP and such.

I think your pitchers have to be stuff-based to get PP in an offensive park because the only huge ballpark factor that affect stuff-based pitcher is AVG. I assume Double and Triple are related AVG as well, like you need to connect with the ball for a chance to get a double or triple. So the only thing that is blocking a pitcher from getting a K is the 1.1 AVG. Other than that, he just needs to K enough batters. Heck, the 1.1 AVG might actually help that, cuz your outs are more likely to be Ks. With defensive liabilities around the board and offensive ballpark, the chance of a non-Ks out is lowered. On the other hand, MOV and CON pitchers rely on low scoring games to earn PP, and will do horribly in the PP generating department in an offensive park. Still, if you want to win, I am sure MOV and CON pitchers are better than stuff only pitcher. Stuff only pitchers are just jokes in PT, with no value to a winning team IMO. All-around pitchers are great though.

Last edited by Goliathus; 06-21-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:55 AM   #2796
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
The OL competition is tougher and so are the competition above Iron(I realized Iron is a farming ground, I have seen a lot of abandoned teams right there that are just free PPs for any active team). You definitely need more than Ichiro and Gwynn if you want to commit to that plan. I think you will need to commit at least 7 good and above hitters to pull that off. Or have some defensive wizards to sort of shore up your weakness. My experimental team has no defense and that is a problem for Bronze, which I am happy with cuz I don't want to go to silver while I am experimenting, but not for you if you want to win.

If you don't have elite all-around batters, might as well stick to a more specialized ballpark. You will win more that way, albeit with less PP gain, I guess.

Edit: All my pitchers are stuff-based and the best of them have 800-1000 from the K-related and LOB achievements. In theory, I think a team made up of great MOV + CON pitchers, great defensive fielders who can hit for contacts and such can earn fair amount of PP. You just need to get a lot of the perfect games, Maddux and that kind of achievements. The great contact hitters and defensive wizards can generate okay PP from batting and might net you some defensive achievements like DP and such.
I'll check the Patriots in a few, but I think we have the hitters. Tony Oliva and Adrian Beltre provide the power, Al Dark (89) would improve big time with favorable offensive factors, and Jose Reyes would have a field day in such a ballpark. I could also add hitters as I go to replace some of the fringe guys. The problem is finding the defense to go along with the hitting capabilities.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 AM   #2797
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:

I think your pitchers have to be stuff-based to get PP in an offensive park because the only huge ballpark factor that affect stuff-based pitcher is AVG. I assume Double and Triple are related AVG as well, like you need to connect with the ball for a chance to get a double or triple. So the only thing that is blocking a pitcher from getting a K is the 1.1 AVG. Other than that, he just needs to K enough batters. Heck, the 1.1 AVG might actually help that, cuz your outs are more likely to be Ks. With defensive liabilities around the board and offensive ballpark, the chance of a non-Ks out is lowered. On the other hand, MOV and CON pitchers rely on low scoring games to earn PP, and will do horribly in the PP generating department in an offensive park. Still, if you want to win, I am sure MOV and CON pitchers are better than stuff only pitcher. Stuff only pitchers are just jokes in PT, with no value to a winning team IMO. All-around pitchers are great though.

I am using your system on my silver non-OL team for excellent results. My Lefty Gomez in the last 3 seasons has pulled in 7400PP himself. Granted, 4k of it was on 2 achievements. 2500 for hi-def inning and 1500 for something else which I can't remember off the top of my head.
He has by far the most PP generation of any pitcher I have. Paul Dean is doing pretty decent as well with almost 3k in just under 2 seasons and all that PP generation is in a fully maxed offensive(1.100 AVG, 1.100 HR) park. Although XBH are set at 1.200 because there's not a ton of speed on the team.

Granted, I'm hovering in the .500-.550 range, but my PP generation has skyrocketed from 2-3k/season to averaging more than 7.5k/season, with most seasons approaching 10k+.

Last edited by Findest2001; 06-21-2019 at 02:06 AM.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:35 AM   #2798
Magus978
All Star Starter

Re: Extreme offensive settings...

I think we've got the hitters to at least make a decent living pulling it off, even though I know my pitchers will want to rip my guts out.

Not a lot of power, but that can be fixed as time rolls on. This hitting squad was built on a principle of not striking out and putting the ball in play.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2019, 02:43 AM   #2799
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Re: Extreme offensive settings...

I think we've got the hitters to at least make a decent living pulling it off, even though I know my pitchers will want to rip my guts out.

Not a lot of power, but that can be fixed as time rolls on. This hitting squad was built on a principle of not striking out and putting the ball in play.
I like this team. Some good base stealers and defense too.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:57 AM   #2800
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:

Also, update for you on the Mets' Warren Spahn. The team has pulled away a bit in their division, 10 clear of Redmond. Spahn has been getting better and better. He's fought his way back to a 5-5 record and a 4.37 ERA.
Nice...he will be in the mid 3 range before the season is over.
Maybe one of our teams will find the funds to pick up a Spahn down the road.

You were spot on with your comments about when to start Entry league.

The Redmond Birds team is probably the worst team anyone in the family created. The kids created it to show their friends (+dad) the mechanics of PT but with barely a day of Entry league play, the team lacks in so many areas.
In contrast, the Crusaders will be a lot more competitive by the time they enter Iron league next week.

We usually name the teams after recent movies but I think we may need to rename the "Redmond Birds" team since the kids are not really familiar with the Birds movie (mom was watching the movie in the other room).

Maybe we will let the OL folks help decide on the new team name....
Recent movie - Team name

a. Once upon a time in the West - The Showdown

b. The Bad News Bears - Bad News Bears

c. 12 Monkeys - The Time Travelers

d. Naked Gun - The Crazy Umps