Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:18 AM   #161
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
That's what an analysis of the teams on paper says, but they don't play the games on paper do they?...
I used to as a kid but now we play them on a computer
Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 AM   #162
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't imagine you're a big fan of them IRL, but you'll want to get behind the Cleveland Indians in my universe David Watts, as well as Detroit of course. The Indians signed Reggie Smith and Lou Whitaker in the offseason to a team that already had Miguel Cabrera, Al S Shaw, Bubbles Hargrave (how can you not root for this guy), and Rocky Colavito. They're projected to score 865 runs, allow 678, and win 103 games and de-throne the Tigers, and I know they've got some of your favourites on there, so I'll be sure to keep you posted. That's what an analysis of the teams on paper says, but they don't play the games on paper do they?...
Just make sure the Indians don't hire Tom Hamilton to announce/scream games and I can stomach the Indians.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #163
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Just make sure the Indians don't hire Tom Hamilton to announce/scream games and I can stomach the Indians.
Got it, no "Screamin'" Tom Hamilton. The Indians actually scored an amazing 902 runs, but only won 91 games, as they allowed a whopping 769 runs. That didn't stop them from upsetting the Philadelphia Athletics 4-2, as Rocky Colavito temporarily came out of his decline to win the MVP in a series the Athletics led 2-1. They then swept the Cubs who had beaten Cincinnati 4-2 in the NLCS, so that's the final seven straight post-season games. Impressive!

Unfortunately, my computer crashed again after the second game of the World Series with the Indians up 2-0. They had swept the Series and Lou Whitaker was given MVP. Came back in and it was 2-0, so I re-ran the Series from that point and the Indians still swept. This time Miguel Cabrera was given the MVP, even though I felt that "Sweet" Lou still deserved it. Oh well, I guess you can't lose either way.

For some reason Bobby M Estalella of the Reds won the MVP in the NLCS despite the Cubs victory, and despite Estalella going 4 for 5 for the NLCS with 2 HR and 6 RBI in the six games. Uh...Wut? He wasn't even in the starting lineup and he was on the losing team! Is there a way that I don't know about that we can select our own MVPs in these series' because that's kind of egregious.

Also, I'm gonna select Mickey Mantle for MVP despite the fact that the Tigers finished in the cellar with 99 losses. He led the majors in BA (.386), OBA (.496), SLG (.644), OPS (1.139), wOBA (.492), WAR by a mile (11.2), and the AL in BB (103), and ISO (.258). It's too amazing a season to deny, plus stellar defense in CF. Yeah, Miguel Cabrera led the majors in Hits (235), RBI (130), Runs (127), XBH (87), and TB (401), and the AL in HR (38), but the dude also did make 41(!) errors at 3B and another one for good measure at 1B. Meanwhile Addie Joss went out and won the pitching triple crown, and Johnny Bench was his usual awesome self at the most demanding up the middle position in the game (Hi MarkInCincy!). I think Miggy's gonna finish fourth and the game wants him to finish first. Not gonna happen!

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-05-2016 at 07:59 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #164
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Got it, no "Screamin'" Tom Hamilton. The Indians actually scored an amazing 902 runs, but only won 91 games, as they allowed a whopping 769 runs. That didn't stop them from upsetting the Philadelphia Athletics 4-2, as Rocky Colavito temporarily came out of his decline to win the MVP in a series the Athletics led 2-1. They then swept the Cubs who had beaten Cincinnati 4-2 in the NLCS, so that's the final seven straight post-season games. Impressive!

Unfortunately, my computer crashed again after the second game of the World Series with the Indians up 2-0. They had swept the Series and Lou Whitaker was given MVP. Came back in and it was 2-0, so I re-ran the Series from that point and the Indians still swept. This time Miguel Cabrera was given the MVP, even though I felt that "Sweet" Lou still deserved it. Oh well, I guess you can't lose either way.

For some reason Bobby M Estalella of the Reds won the MVP in the NLCS despite the Cubs victory, and despite Estalella going 4 for 5 for the NLCS with 2 HR and 6 RBI in the six games. Uh...Wut? He wasn't even in the starting lineup and he was on the losing team! Is there a way that I don't know about that we can select our own MVPs in these series' because that's kind of egregious.

Also, I'm gonna select Mickey Mantle for MVP despite the fact that the Tigers finished in the cellar with 99 losses. He led the majors in BA (.386), OBA (.496), SLG (.644), OPS (1.139), wOBA (.492), WAR by a mile (11.2), and the AL in BB (103), and ISO (.258). It's too amazing a season to deny, plus stellar defense in CF. Yeah, Miguel Cabrera led the majors in Hits (235), RBI (130), Runs (127), XBH (87), and TB (401), and the AL in HR (38), but the dude also did make 41(!) errors at 3B and another one for good measure at 1B. Meanwhile Addie Joss went out and won the pitching triple crown, and Johnny Bench was his usual awesome self at the most demanding up the middle position in the game (Hi MarkInCincy!). I think Miggy's gonna finish fourth and the game wants him to finish first. Not gonna happen!
I'm now approaching June 1989. I ended up fast simming 88. Really thought I had the solution figured out to change my league from one subleague to two last night. Boy was I wrong. Luckily I was able to purposely crash my game making the mess I made go away. Why I would use my main league to test out a theory no one knows.

One thing to note, following the 88 season, Lou Whitaker finally made the Hall.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #165
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm now approaching June 1989. I ended up fast simming 88. Really thought I had the solution figured out to change my league from one subleague to two last night. Boy was I wrong. Luckily I was able to purposely crash my game making the mess I made go away. Why I would use my main league to test out a theory no one knows.

One thing to note, following the 88 season, Lou Whitaker finally made the Hall.
Why would you use your main league?...I don't know...Tired perhaps? I thought I'd almost screwed things up last night. When I returned from the crash and finished off the World Series, I went in to check Steve Carlton's lifetime post-season stats. Then I went to have a look at Mel Stottlemyre's RL Stats...There was nothing there...No stats...Stats all gone...Memo to self...Never try to check RL Stats if you've left the post-season split on in another player's pitching/hitting stats...It's not worth the stress.

Alright "Sweet" Lou!!!
Old 03-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #166
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Johnny Bench was his usual awesome self at the most demanding up the middle position in the game (Hi MarkInCincy!).
BEST CATCHER OF ALL TIME, and who I emulated as a catcher in 20 years of being one
Old 03-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #167
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInCincy View Post
BEST CATCHER OF ALL TIME, and who I emulated as a catcher in 20 years of being one
You'll get no argument against that sentiment here. It's fun following his career in this random debut against the likes of other greats at other positions like Miguel Cabrera, Lou Whitaker (don't get me started on his RL HoF status), Mike Schmidt, Cal Ripken, Mickey Mantle, Carl Yastrzemski (just came in as a kid), even Reggie Smith (who's been outstanding, far better than his RL extremely good self). I love this random debut stuff - it's intoxicating for a baseball nerd like me. That doesn't even begin to mention the pitchers like Carlton, Rixey, Randy Johnson (just starting out like Yaz), Bret Saberhagen (absolute stud in my league - wasn't injured as much as RL) etc. What the hell did we ever play before random debut?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #168
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

Would no know, I I have been angt
Old 03-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #169
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

Oops, I damn phone, I have been doing Rd since OOTP, 3
Old 03-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #170
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

I will say this MarkInCincy. It would've been interesting to find out how Bench really matched up against Roy Campanella (he was playing in the Negro Leagues at 15 for cryin' out loud!), Josh Gibson, Biz Mackey, and Louis Santop had the colour line not been drawn. Oh well...I guess that's what OOTP and Spritze's database are for. That's not to say that things would've turned out any differently re: Bench in fact being the greatest catcher to ever play the game, more to say that unfortunately, as fans, we were denied the opportunity to know for 100% certain that he was the greatest ever. In the RL major leagues though, yes Bench was the greatest to ever play the game.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-06-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #171
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInCincy View Post
Oops, I damn phone, I have been doing Rd since OOTP, 3
OOTP3? Wow, don't I feel like a neophyte. You must've used Bristolduke's random debut database back in the early days. What an awesome contribution that must've been.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #172
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

I think the first one I used was a mod I did myself, I it worked about 80% right. The fielding stats were kind of 'off', 2 switched to his maybe version 4 or 5
Old 03-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #173
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

1989's turning out to be an interesting season for the simple fact that Lefty Gomez and Whitey Ford are having great seasons. Both have 18 wins going into the month of August. Ford pitches for a middle of the pack St. Louis Hops team. Gomez for the defending champs, Toronto Grasshoppers. Gomez set the single game record for strikeouts with 19 in April. He whiffed 19 again during a game in June. He has somewhere around 260 for the season so far. Toronto has a 10 1/2 game lead in the East. Meanwhile the expansion Atlanta Peaches are up 4 games in the West.

Todd Helton is emerging as a super star in my league. Once again he's hitting 350+ for the 89 season. He has a sliver of a chance to win the Triple Crown this season, but my bet is he will fall short in at least 1 category.

Dave Parker was finally getting some playing time in 1989 and managed to run his career RBI total to 1998, before suffering a significant injury. He's at the end of his career, but I have my fingers crossed he can knock in 2 more runners to reach 2000. I have no one else even close to that milestone.

Ken Griffey Jr. just hit his 400th home run. He's 35 or 36 in my league. He started getting hurt in his late 20's and it's really slowed him down.

Do you think modern guys with short actual playing careers perform above their abilities in random debut? Michael Wacha and Patrick Corbin are 2 guys that have had significant careers in my league. Josh Harrison is flat out crushing it as we speak. Kevin Guasman is doing extremely well in my league as well. Of course, they may end up doing well in real life as well, s who knows? Just thought I would ask your thoughts.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #174
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1989's turning out to be an interesting season for the simple fact that Lefty Gomez and Whitey Ford are having great seasons. Both have 18 wins going into the month of August. Ford pitches for a middle of the pack St. Louis Hops team. Gomez for the defending champs, Toronto Grasshoppers. Gomez set the single game record for strikeouts with 19 in April. He whiffed 19 again during a game in June. He has somewhere around 260 for the season so far. Toronto has a 10 1/2 game lead in the East. Meanwhile the expansion Atlanta Peaches are up 4 games in the West.

Todd Helton is emerging as a super star in my league. Once again he's hitting 350+ for the 89 season. He has a sliver of a chance to win the Triple Crown this season, but my bet is he will fall short in at least 1 category.

Dave Parker was finally getting some playing time in 1989 and managed to run his career RBI total to 1998, before suffering a significant injury. He's at the end of his career, but I have my fingers crossed he can knock in 2 more runners to reach 2000. I have no one else even close to that milestone.

Ken Griffey Jr. just hit his 400th home run. He's 35 or 36 in my league. He started getting hurt in his late 20's and it's really slowed him down.

Do you think modern guys with short actual playing careers perform above their abilities in random debut? Michael Wacha and Patrick Corbin are 2 guys that have had significant careers in my league. Josh Harrison is flat out crushing it as we speak. Kevin Guasman is doing extremely well in my league as well. Of course, they may end up doing well in real life as well, s who knows? Just thought I would ask your thoughts.
Griffey Jr. only hit 280 HR in my league after importing at age 23 for the Inaugural Draft (along with his father, who was also 23 ). Lefty Gomez was a stud for me too. Ford came in at 35 for the Inaugural Draft, so I wasn't really able to see what he was capable of.

Todd Helton was a superstar IRL, but as usual he will be overlooked for the HoF because he played in Denver. Has the HoF ever overlooked a California area pitcher? They have a similar advantage with the big ballparks and the marine layer, but nobody ever says boo about it, but if you're a hitter in Coors (*cough Larry Walker cough, cough*), it's like you've got the bleepin' plague.

Frank Robinson had 2,018 runs, 2,184 RBI, 608 2B, and 643 HR in mine, and nobody has come close to any of those yet (still early...only 34 seasons in). Nice to see the Cobra doing well in yours though.

I don't know how player development treats the short career guys. We notice the Clayton Kershaws (mine) and the David Prices (yours), but yeah I've seen Wacha (HoF in mine), Corbin (on track for HoF before CEI at 33), and Gausman (won 208 games, but came up just short of the HoF in mine) all excel in mine. Have yet to see Josh Harrison.

I suspect there's a bit of confirmation bias in there that because we see some guys excelling that they all must be, but maybe we're forgetting the ones that wiped out because we haven't had to judge their careers for HoF consideration or All-Star games. When players aren't so good, they tend to be more anonymous is what I'm trying to say, so maybe we're just not noticing them as much as the guys who are starring in our leagues.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #175
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Griffey Jr. only hit 280 HR in my league after importing at age 23 for the Inaugural Draft (along with his father, who was also 23 ). Lefty Gomez was a stud for me too. Ford came in at 35 for the Inaugural Draft, so I wasn't really able to see what he was capable of.

Todd Helton was a superstar IRL, but as usual he will be overlooked for the HoF because he played in Denver. Has the HoF ever overlooked a California area pitcher? They have a similar advantage with the big ballparks and the marine layer, but nobody ever says boo about it, but if you're a hitter in Coors (*cough Larry Walker cough, cough*), it's like you've got the bleepin' plague.

Frank Robinson had 2,018 runs, 2,184 RBI, 608 2B, and 643 HR in mine, and nobody has come close to any of those yet (still early...only 34 seasons in). Nice to see the Cobra doing well in yours though.

I don't know how player development treats the short career guys. We notice the Clayton Kershaws (mine) and the David Prices (yours), but yeah I've seen Wacha (HoF in mine), Corbin (on track for HoF before CEI at 33), and Gausman (won 208 games, but came up just short of the HoF in mine) all excel in mine. Have yet to see Josh Harrison.

I suspect there's a bit of confirmation bias in there that because we see some guys excelling that they all must be, but maybe we're forgetting the ones that wiped out because we haven't had to judge their careers for HoF consideration or All-Star games. When players aren't so good, they tend to be more anonymous is what I'm trying to say, so maybe we're just not noticing them as much as the guys who are starring in our leagues.
Confirmation bias probably explains most of it. I hate it when I get something in my head and dwell on it too much. It isn't like Corbin, Gausman or Wacha a stiffs in real life. 10 years from now we may very well be speaking of them as all-stars.

The career arcs of real players are just flat out amazing to ponder. It's even more amazing how well OOTP captures them. Really amazing how fast some guys fizzle off the radar. Good one day gone the next.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #176
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

I've got the best 2B I've ever seen coming into my game in this draft (sorry "Sweet" Lou!). Charlie "The Mechanical Man" Gehringer is on his way along with "Wee" Willie Keeler. Still have yet to see any of the big four at 2B: No Hornsby, Collins, Lajoie, or Morgan yet. I did get Joe M Morgan, but that's nowhere near Joe L Morgan is it?
Old 03-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #177
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've got the best 2B I've ever seen coming into my game in this draft (sorry "Sweet" Lou!). Charlie "The Mechanical Man" Gehringer is on his way along with "Wee" Willie Keeler. Still have yet to see any of the big four at 2B: No Hornsby, Collins, Lajoie, or Morgan yet. I did get Joe M Morgan, but that's nowhere near Joe L Morgan is it?
I've had both Collins and Morgan. Oh and thanks for not including Donnie Osmond in the big four Can't wait to hear how Gehringer does in your league.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #178
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

...And Charlie Gehringer goes first overall to...the Detroit Tigers. A well timed suckfest of a season by the Tigers, the only team Gehringer ever played for IRL. I think it was a tank job myself. After all, how do you lose 99 games with Mickey Mantle crushin' it yet again? The commissioner's office might have to get involved. Keeler went second overall to the Cardinals.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #179
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Decided to shake things up in my league. I lowered the free agency requirements from 15 years to the traditional 6 years. The next few offseasons should be interesting. Going to be lots of folks changing teams.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #180
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Decided to shake things up in my league. I lowered the free agency requirements from 15 years to the traditional 6 years. The next few offseasons should be interesting. Going to be lots of folks changing teams.
Whoa! That is quite the shakeup. Keep us posted.