Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:29 AM   #1
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

What if...? (types of cards)

In PT 21 or 23, one type of card was a career card. You could pull the player in a pack or buy it in the auction house and once activated for the first time it was the player's rookie season, & the next season reflective of his 2nd season & so on...and the card lasted as long as the player's career lasted in active PT seasons.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
In PT 21 or 23, one type of card was a career card. You could pull the player in a pack or buy it in the auction house and once activated for the first time it was the player's rookie season, & the next season reflective of his 2nd season & so on...and the card lasted as long as the player's career lasted in active PT seasons.

Interesting idea. I'd want to pull Cy Young.....

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
Maxfire5
Minors (Double A)

That's an interesting idea. Would it pause if you moved him to the inactive roster so you could save him a season or two? Assuming you moved him before he played in some set number of games?

If we're going with what if cards, I'll propose another type!

What if there were cards that had complete X thing and it gets a stat boost. I.e. get 100 hits in the players career, +2 contact, or hit 3 HRs in a game +2 power, or something. The "powerups" for lack of a better term are only tied to the team. If you go to list the player, the player will no longer have those powers and would start back at the base card. Can't take all the credit here, Magus mentioned it too!

F2P Pack Only Team

F2P Missouri Theme Team
Maxfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Yeah, I suppose there could be lots of other different ideas, ... & interesting questions about how to deal with career cards (one thing comes to mind is injuries & other seasons where they DNP for some reason).

The power-ups is sort of like potential which is in the game already just not in PT.
Not exactly like potential but does remind me of the kind of thing you see very much in gaming. It's just they would have to either blur the line or introduce downright fictional cards maybe.

Unless it was uniform?...And every player in the PT Universe could get super-hot in that sense? And maybe super-cold.

Interesting.

You'd have to remember to account for their limited life-span vs. the other cards. Which would be fairly easy but not simple.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 09-26-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Why would they have a limited lifespan? Just start over at season 1.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

That's another decision to make, I guess. I imagined they would play their rookie through last seasons & that would be that for a career-parallel card. But I suppose they could reset.

But then...getting Rickey Henderson career or Cy Young career wouldn't be especially valuable vs. other players.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 09-26-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:25 AM   #7
neugey
All Star Reserve

Kind of a neat idea but logistically it would be really tough to manage because the ratings would change considerably based on what happened IRL for the player's career. That is a lot of ratings data to put together and display.

My own pet idea is to have a new card type next year called 'Opening Day' cards. It's really simple - you'd have two types of Live cards for each active player instead of one. An 'Opening Day' card has his ratings stay the same, while the normal Live card we have now would still have ratings that change weekly. It would have been something nice to have this year before 80+% of the Live closers in MLB had their ratings plummet into oblivion.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

That's what I thought on 2nd thought, but on 3rd thought, the regular game very easily increases a player's age and adjusts the ratings from year to year, so it depends what they want to do. It wouldn't be so hard to have them get a year older with new ratings season by virtual season if they wanted to do that.

Yeah, frozen lives might be nice, even if they don't freeze until about 80-110 games in. There are some players enjoy at this point the way the ratings change.

But the variables go on & on. Just depends what direction it ends up going in.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #9
Argonaut
All Star Starter

This makes me wonder, does a LIVE card's player age change during the course of Perfect Team when they have a birthday?

Like, they'll be 28 years old for several seasons, then turn 29 after a birthday. Would be funny to look at in the player all-time history tab, as opposed to my historical guys who never have a birthday.

EDIT: I just answered my own question by looking at Mike Trout. He's forever 27, despite having his 28th birthday in August. Fitting considering his uniform number.

Last edited by Argonaut; 09-27-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote