Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #101
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrdt1 View Post
Another strong supporter of 99 Brett. He's played 11 seasons for me at perfect with 2 MVPs and a 162 game avg slash of .304/.352/.486, OPS+ of 128 and avg WAR of 4.0. 22 HR/118 RBI/great BB/k ratio/40+ 2B/6 3B.
Neutral park? Platoon?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:55 PM   #102
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I have seen 99 Brett on several good teams. He can be expected to turn in a 2-4 WAR, 100-115 OPS+ season most of the time. The 100 Brett does that in his bad years and wins MVP awards in his good years. I think 99 Brett would be a good choice if you are not counting on him for the bulk of your offense. He will contribute more than Rizzuto but less than Appling.

As an alternative for 3B, if you don't mind the lack of speed and a RHB, you might look at 100 Ripken.
+1 for 99 Brett, I got rid of both 100 Brett and 100 Boggs and now 3B is exclusively shared between 99 Brett and 99 Jackie/100 Wagner... 99 Brett gives me more speed and much better defense than his PEAK card. I do platoon him, but then again, I pretty much platoon everyone but three player....

X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:23 AM   #103
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The Frogs (78-26, +248) had another good day of sims and end the night on a 12-game winning streak. Playing .750 ball, which would supplant 2041 (.722 WPCT) as best in team history.

PEAK Chipper Jones has been having a career year (.321/.427/.541, 159 wRC+) and SE Lenny Dykstra (.351/.395/.503, 145 wRC+) continues to provide a lift after being added to the active roster in early June. Ed Walsh (16-2, 1.42 ERA, 6.8 WAR) just had a bad start (6 ER in 4.1 IP), but he's given up 0 or 1 runs in 19 of 22 starts. 95 Rollie Fingers has yet to allow a run in 20 IP. The team is playing about as well as I could hope.

P424 this week is really the Virginia Beach Freaks (87-21, +419), the Parish WhoDats (86-21, +349)....the La Crosse Fighting Frogs...and then everyone else. The best RDiff after these top 3 teams is only +86 and the other 26 teams are all below +35.

Barring playoff hijinx, the Frogs should meet up with the WhoDats in the sub-league series and I just hope I can add a little bit more firepower by finishing a couple more missions before then.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:59 AM   #104
old timer
Hall Of Famer

The Raccoons (RDiff 256) continue to keep pace with Westvleteren (RDiff 310). We're still 1 GB, but it's hard to imagine this lasting. But I'll continue to do what I can to try and give us a shot. We've got 7 games left vs them and we'll have to do better than before (we're 4-8 so far) if we are to catch them.

Suzuki has been hitting well (.355 AVG) since I added him and Appling is still leading the league in AVG at .344 with a .437 OBP. The offense has been great this year, but our pitching has been really disappointing (4th in RA). So I'm looking to get me an upgrade for my starting rotation. But before I do, I'll need to sell some guys 1st. I did my 1st ever mission and was able to make a nice profit from it so if I can sell a couple of more players, maybe I'll have enough to add someone.
Attached Images

Last edited by old timer; 09-20-2019 at 04:03 AM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:13 AM   #105
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Yeah, but now… keep or sell? I mean, I really need pitching. I really need everything. But if you really need everything, you can really need 200k+ PP...

I would keep him.
In my experience, in perfect leagues you are only as good as your pitching.
You can platoon lesser batters to almost reach the equivalent of a perfect hitter, but you can't platoon pitching.

Last edited by moalkha; 09-20-2019 at 04:14 AM.
moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:30 AM   #106
Izz
Hall Of Famer

The 'Glou are not doing great, 48-58. 6-game skid to end July ruined what might have been a par month (we were 10-9 before the losing streak).

On the plus side, Strasburg threw a 4-strikeout inning, so I logged in tonight to see more PP in my account than expected. Perhaps I'll try to finish off a mission or two and see what that brings me...

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:16 AM   #107
brrrdt1
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Neutral park? Platoon?
No platoon, he averages 150+ starts a year. And I've tweaked my park settings over the years trying to find the right mix, so that's harder to answer. Currently running 1.1 Avg (both L & R) 1.2 gap and .95 HR LHB. It has been completely neutral in the past.

brrrdt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #108
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No platoon, he averages 150+ starts a year. And I've tweaked my park settings over the years trying to find the right mix, so that's harder to answer. Currently running 1.1 Avg (both L & R) 1.2 gap and .95 HR LHB. It has been completely neutral in the past.
I clearly understated his value based on everyone's actual results.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #109
brrrdt1
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I clearly understated his value based on everyone's actual results.
Yeah, I've had him for a long time and every now and then take a look at other options (i.e., Ripken) and am just not convinced that it'll be an improvement. My IF has been remarkably stable over time and while I'll probably tinker with it at some point, I'm also sitting at an absurd 94-12 right now, so it ain't going to be this season!

Old 09-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #110
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

The Colonels split 8 games with the 49ers (2-2 home, 2-2 away) and currently trail by one-half game (one in the loss column). My team is still a work in progress but I feel like it is going in the right direction.

Appling has cooled off and is .182/.280/.193 in 100 at bats vs. LHP, but that should turn around at some point and he is up to 80 at 2B now. The improved middle infield defense should help the pitchers down the stretch, particularly the bullpen where some pretty high BABIP's reside (Gagne @ .429 BABIP ?!?).

I switched back to 12 pitchers (from 11) after several seasons running a 6-man bullpen. The extra position player wasn't playing much unless I forced it, so I thought maybe an extra lefty in the pen would give the AI manager another option.

The position player going to the reserve roster was 100 Mays. I have been struggling with outfield alignment for many weeks. The real struggle has been to choose between 100 Mays and 100 Aaron as my third starting outfielder to go with 100 Mantle and 100 DiMaggio. This year, Mays was doing nothing at the plate and Aaron was hitting a ton when he played, so I am now trying an alignment with Aaron in LF, JoeD in CF, and Mantle in RF. All three are rated in the 70's at those positions so the defense is good but not great. Will I miss Mays' 91 rating in CF enough to bring him back? I have to stop tinkering someday.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #111
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
The Colonels split 8 games with the 49ers (2-2 home, 2-2 away) and currently trail by one-half game (one in the loss column). My team is still a work in progress but I feel like it is going in the right direction.

Appling has cooled off and is .182/.280/.193 in 100 at bats vs. LHP, but that should turn around at some point and he is up to 80 at 2B now. The improved middle infield defense should help the pitchers down the stretch, particularly the bullpen where some pretty high BABIP's reside (Gagne @ .429 BABIP ?!?).

I switched back to 12 pitchers (from 11) after several seasons running a 6-man bullpen. The extra position player wasn't playing much unless I forced it, so I thought maybe an extra lefty in the pen would give the AI manager another option.

The position player going to the reserve roster was 100 Mays. I have been struggling with outfield alignment for many weeks. The real struggle has been to choose between 100 Mays and 100 Aaron as my third starting outfielder to go with 100 Mantle and 100 DiMaggio. This year, Mays was doing nothing at the plate and Aaron was hitting a ton when he played, so I am now trying an alignment with Aaron in LF, JoeD in CF, and Mantle in RF. All three are rated in the 70's at those positions so the defense is good but not great. Will I miss Mays' 91 rating in CF enough to bring him back? I have to stop tinkering someday.

If I may offer some unsoliceted advice, and if I remember your roster correctly, I would have an outfiled with Mays as CF, Mantle at RF and Charleston at LF, with DiMaggio as 4th outfielder while platooning Charleston at LF against lefties.

Also I think I remember you have either Boggs or Brett at first base and I would platoon them with Aaron against lefties.

I know that it sound crazy to bench DiMaggio but I specifically mentioned Charleston because he has been one of the best players on my team for a long time now, to the tune of 6.0 WAR per season on average as an everyday player. His contact and walk ratings against righties are better than DiMaggio's, with only a small drop in power that is more than compensated by far better speed.

Last edited by moalkha; 09-20-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #112
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

I think (hope) I've solved the Quokkas' sinkhole at third base. I'm (as of five minutes ago) running a platoon with 89 George Brett against RHP (it's not like I'm made of money here) and Vladdy Sonny against LHP.

I also took the opportunity to give Brett Felipe Vazquez's roster spot. We'll run an 11-man pitching staff out there. That's what Westvlteren XII does.

In true Quokks style, we're holding onto Kris Bryant for a bit, just in case he goes to 100. We're also going to keep our other dog poo third sacker, Mel Ott, until the Giants collections pop. Then we'll get 30K for him, easy.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #113
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moalkha View Post
If I may offer some unsoliceted advice, and if I remember your roster correctly, I would have an outfiled with Mays as CF, Mantle at RF and Charleston at LF, with DiMaggio as 4th outfielder while platooning Charleston at LF against lefties.

Also I think I remember you have either Boggs or Brett at first base and I would platoon them with Aaron against lefties.

I know that it sound crazy to bench DiMaggio but I specifically mentioned Charleston because he has been one of the best players on my team for a long time now, to the tune of 6.0 WAR per season on average as an everyday player. His contact and walk ratings against righties are better than DiMaggio's, with only a small drop in power that is more than compensated by far better speed.

P.S. If you are willing to sacrifice a bit of defence you can play DiMaggio at CF and only play Mays against lefties.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #114
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If I may offer some unsoliceted advice, and if I remember your roster correctly, I would have an outfiled with Mays as CF, DiMaggio at RF and Charleston at LF, with Mantle as 4th outfielder and eventually platooning Charleston at LF against lefties.

I specifically mentioned Charleston because he has been one of the best players on my team for a long time now, to the tune of 6.0 WAR per season on average as an everyday player.

PLEASE do offer unsolicited advice! I can use all of the help that I can get.

Charleston would give me an element of speed that I lack. A platoon with either Aaron or Mantle would surely put up numbers at least as good Mantle alone, and maybe better if my Charleston produces like yours. I would prefer the better overall outfield defense, and especially Mays in CF, so I will try it.

I don't platoon enough and I really should platoon Brett at 1B and maybe Boggs too. I had avoided Aaron playing 1B against lefties because of the defense there, but maybe I should try it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Edit: I noticed you changed Mantle to DiMaggio while I was typing a response. I will think about a way to get more AB's for Charleston. I do need to platoon more.

Last edited by Orcin; 09-20-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #115
brrrdt1
Minors (Single A)

This season has been absolutely INSANE for the Dolphins. Went 19-6 in April and have gone 79-6 since then! There's another thread about too many perfect leagues and I think this is a good example. My team is good, but we usually struggle against the best of the best (because I just don't have the time to fully maximize platooning and ballpark and all the other little things that separate the good from the great). But here I am absolutely destroying the conference. And the story isn't much different on the other side of the league. At least there are two dominating teams running away with it there, so they get to duke it out with each other.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #116
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
PLEASE do offer unsolicited advice! I can use all of the help that I can get.

Charleston would give me an element of speed that I lack. A platoon with either Aaron or Mantle would surely put up numbers at least as good Mantle alone, and maybe better if my Charleston produces like yours. I would prefer the better overall outfield defense, and especially Mays in CF, so I will try it.

I don't platoon enough and I really should platoon Brett at 1B and maybe Boggs too. I had avoided Aaron playing 1B against lefties because of the defense there, but maybe I should try it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I know it is very hard to platoon or either bench a legend, but the game engine doesn't look at names but only numbers.

Moreover, I now think that contact and eye are way more important than power, especially in perfect leagues where most pitchers suppress home runs easily. This is why you see guys like SE Appling or Charleston play so well and put up very good numbers.

Like you, I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of offense for superior defence, but that goes down to personal taste.

This is how Charleston has performed for me, considering also that I play him at RF that's not his ideal position.
Attached Images

Last edited by moalkha; 09-20-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #117
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know it is very hard to platoon or either bench a legend, but the game engine doesn't look at names but only numbers.
One of my big problems is a sentimental attachment to names.

Quote:
Moreover, I now think that contact and eye are way more important than power, especially in perfect leagues where most pitchers suppress home runs easily. This is why you see guys like SE Appling or Charleston play so well and put up very good numbers.
I know you are right. I can see it when I look at the teams that keep beating me. I figured that someone has to hit those homers and my power team is going to hit a lot of homers if everyone else goes for contact. That has worked against the bulk of the league, but it would kill me in that "champion's league" that everyone wants to put me in or a league like we had in 19 where every manager was an expert.

This need to build your team, strategy, and ballpark to fit the meta is the one thing that I don't like about Perfect Team. Sometimes, it doesn't feel like baseball at all. It is more like configuring my WoW character to fit the dungeon we are about to run.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #118
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is how Charleston has performed for me, considering also that I play him at RF that's not his ideal position.
Wow, that's really consistent too. My Oscar has never gotten to play enough to know.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #119
old timer
Hall Of Famer

This is really weird. It seems like every time we win, Westvleteren wins and when we lose, they lose. We're 87-32 .731 and still one game behind them and have been for much of the season. It's only varied a little bit. I've seen us 2 GB and 1/2 GB and that's all I've noticed. So we've become their shadow, I guess.

We've got 3 games coming up against them later this month so that could finally change. Plus we've got 3 coming up against the .720 Spokane Riptide while Westvleteren has an easy schedule in that span. Our offense continues to shine (957 R pace which would be 2nd best ever behind 1013), but our pitching... If only I could get an upgrade there this season, that could make a nice difference, but it doesn't look promising.

Last edited by old timer; 09-20-2019 at 04:30 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #120
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This season has been absolutely INSANE for the Dolphins. Went 19-6 in April and have gone 79-6 since then! There's another thread about too many perfect leagues and I think this is a good example. My team is good, but we usually struggle against the best of the best (because I just don't have the time to fully maximize platooning and ballpark and all the other little things that separate the good from the great). But here I am absolutely destroying the conference. And the story isn't much different on the other side of the league. At least there are two dominating teams running away with it there, so they get to duke it out with each other.

My Raccoons have been in weak leagues before and we've still never managed to win more than 124 games. No matter how weak the league, that record is an amazing accomplishment. I hope your team can keep it up and go all the way. Good luck!