Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

Suggestion: Log in rewards

Honestly, I'm reaching the point with my FTP teams where there's no incentive to log in anymore except to crack a pack every 3 days. I assume that less activity can't be good for the health of the game. Keeping people engaged increases the likelihood they've eventually spend some money.

So how about rewards for logging in? It doesn't need to be much. Maybe a small amount of PP each day and a standard pack if you log in everyday for a week. Right now it doesn't feel like I have an reason to log into some of my teams now that they're mostly set up and upgrades cost more PP than I'm likely to have on hand for the next week+.

GlassGuyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

I think a "small" amount of "daily login PP" would probably not be a bad idea. I think MLB The Show already has something like this with "stubs" in their pay-to-play Diamond Dynasty mode.

But, looking at it from OOTP's perspective, I think they are balancing the fun aspect so that anyone can enjoy playing with the monetization aspect which ultimately lines their pockets for the trouble of developing a game in the first place. If they give too many free perks, it undercuts the motivation as a user to pay for PP. This might be a bit cynical of me, but reaching that point of frustration with your team's progress will turn off some people like you say, but it will likely spur others to open their wallets and ditch the strict F2P moniker.

There's almost no incentive on OOTP's part to keep making it a sweeter deal to not spend any additional money on PT--other than maintaining a population of plankton in the waters for the whales to feed on, anyway. So, if you are F2P and becoming frustrated with it I think the thing is to enjoy what you can and put things on autopilot and do something else if you find yourself twiddling your thumbs. There are also some [fairly labor intensive ways] of earning PP without buying it. The achievements are slow and somewhat random for the larger accomplishments, but buying and selling cards can be a pretty lucrative strategy if you have the stomach for it and are already proposing logging in on a regular basis anyway.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Won't come, has been discussed several times.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
I think a "small" amount of "daily login PP" would probably not be a bad idea. I think MLB The Show already has something like this with "stubs" in their pay-to-play Diamond Dynasty mode.

But, looking at it from OOTP's perspective, I think they are balancing the fun aspect so that anyone can enjoy playing with the monetization aspect which ultimately lines their pockets for the trouble of developing a game in the first place. If they give too many free perks, it undercuts the motivation as a user to pay for PP. This might be a bit cynical of me, but reaching that point of frustration with your team's progress will turn off some people like you say, but it will likely spur others to open their wallets and ditch the strict F2P moniker.

There's almost no incentive on OOTP's part to keep making it a sweeter deal to not spend any additional money on PT--other than maintaining a population of plankton in the waters for the whales to feed on, anyway. So, if you are F2P and becoming frustrated with it I think the thing is to enjoy what you can and put things on autopilot and do something else if you find yourself twiddling your thumbs. There are also some [fairly labor intensive ways] of earning PP without buying it. The achievements are slow and somewhat random for the larger accomplishments, but buying and selling cards can be a pretty lucrative strategy if you have the stomach for it and are already proposing logging in on a regular basis anyway.

The Show gives a card for 8 days, then a free pack on the 9th day.

I don't think giving a small amount of PP a day or a free card a day would be that devastating in the long run for OOTP's bottom line. The amount of PP needed to TRULY compete at the highest levels is too big anyway.

That being said, I'm also not sure it would spike the interest back all that much either - a lot of people would log in just to get the rewards and move on to other things.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
allenciox
All Star Reserve

I actually think that having daily log-in rewards would get more money for ootp --- not less. Here is the logic. Somebody gets discouraged with the game, and leaves it for a month, or several months. Then they get back to it and they have a bunch of points to spend. There is no incentive for them to pay money to get more points.

On the other hand, if that same person is logging in every day to get PP points, they are more likely to look around, AH, or open decks, in the hopes of improving that team. They are much more likely to spend money in that situation.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Baseball doesn't give

Participation Trophies. 'nuff said.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
webdox
Minors (Triple A)

I don't want to code that ~ random developer
webdox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
humboldt1498
Minors (Triple A)

Login all 7 days in a week and get a free pack.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
neugey
All Star Reserve

Logging in and logging out doesn't really constitute anything meaningful. How about, each week, if u sell 5 or more players on the auction house and buy 5 or more players on the auction house, then you get 250pp?

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #10
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

If I stop checking my teams because there's nothing to do and then just forget about them forever, that's not a good thing for OOTP. A person who stops playing isn't going to spend any more money on the game.

Login rewards are a proven model to increase player engagement.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Next they'll want food stamps.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #12
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
Next they'll want food stamps.

It's not a super uncommon thing in these sort of games. I don't care either way myself. I check on all my teams at least once a day.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:27 PM   #13
matingly23
Minors (Double A)

I would think the collection missions would make people log in more to check in on the AH. A phone app for the AH would be very nice.
matingly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 AM   #14
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
Logging in and logging out doesn't really constitute anything meaningful. How about, each week, if u sell 5 or more players on the auction house and buy 5 or more players on the auction house, then you get 250pp?

So I can sell 5 40 rating LIVE cards per week and buy 5 of those to earn 250PP? Not a bad thing, but did not contribute anything to the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matingly23 View Post
I would think the collection missions would

make people log in more to check in on the AH. A phone app for the AH would be very nice.

That depends on the difficulty of those missions. The harder it is to achieve, the lesser the playerbase it engages.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #15
matingly23
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliathus View Post
So I can sell 5 40 rating LIVE cards per week and buy 5 of those to earn 250PP? Not a bad thing, but did not contribute anything to the game.

That depends on the difficulty of those missions. The harder it is to achieve, the lesser the playerbase it engages.
It should really engage the mo$t active users who will just *have* to acquire the rare reward cards. We shall see, but I get the feeling that certain cards will explode in price if they lead to a rare reward. I would think we'll see records set for some Iron level cards. Which may very well mean it does not engage a wide base of users as they get priced out.
matingly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #16
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

login incentives are fine for games like MMOs where the players experience kinda depends on having others online at the same time

in PT, the games play themselves without constant player input, so there is no point for login incentives
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #17
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoofe View Post
login incentives are fine for games like MMOs where the players experience kinda depends on having others online at the same time

in PT, the games play themselves without constant player input, so there is no point for login incentives

That really depends on your point of view. Card collecting games on the consoles have daily login rewards for the most part (if not for all of them but I don't play the 2K basketball game).

PT plays a lot more like a mobile game. And a whole lot of those also have login rewards.

That doesn't mean OOTP should go that route, in fact I don't see the point...at least yet. Perhaps as there is a whole lot more to do than just log in and look at your team's record and make a sub or two, maybe it would make sense then...

But what could they realistically give anyway ? A pack is 1000 points. Even if they were to give 100 points a day, is it really that much an incentive to log in when upgrades for a lot of people are in the hundred of thousands of points ?

So no, login rewards are not just for MMOs...but they also don't make much sense for OOTP right now. Maybe in 5 years down the road when there is a lot more to do, but right now it's fine for what it is.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #18
Kushiel
All Star Starter

I think people should log in because they enjoy the game, not for some reward. That is too much like click bait to me.
Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #19
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
That really depends on your point of view. Card collecting games on the consoles have daily login rewards for the most part (if not for all of them but I don't play the 2K basketball game).

PT plays a lot more like a mobile game. And a whole lot of those also have login rewards.

That doesn't mean OOTP should go that route, in fact I don't see the point...at least yet. Perhaps as there is a whole lot more to do than just log in and look at your team's record and make a sub or two, maybe it would make sense then...

But what could they realistically give anyway ? A pack is 1000 points. Even if they were to give 100 points a day, is it really that much an incentive to log in when upgrades for a lot of people are in the hundred of thousands of points ?

So no, login rewards are not just for MMOs...but they also don't make much sense for OOTP right now. Maybe in 5 years down the road when there is a lot more to do, but right now it's fine for what it is.
So what you're saying is that there's not enough reason to bother logging into OOTP? That's kind of my whole point.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #20
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

It's a fundamentally different game. With hearthstone you get daily bonuses for playing because they need people to show up for matchmaking every day to keep the game active. With ootp it doesn't matter, you can log in and do nothing or just let the team run itself. So you are right that there isn't enough reason as you get later into the game but adding a bonus just for logging in isn't the solution it's making more content (like collection missons and tournaments that they are doing). If there's a mission reward that I want then I'm going to check the auction house as much as possible

Last edited by dkgo; 06-13-2019 at 01:00 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote