Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

View Poll Results: Are There Too Many Perfect Leagues?
Yes 31 57.41%
No 23 42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
dishnet34
All Star Starter

Should there be fewer Perfect Leagues?

So, there has been a discussion in some parts of the PT-verse (mostly on the Discord) about whether or not there are too many Perfect Leagues out there. I think it's a discussion to have, and so that's why I'm posing the question here, so more diverse opinions can be shared on the topic.

I believe last season, there were somewhere between 20 and 24 Perfect Leagues, if I recall correctly, and there are a total of 25 this season. The general vibe some people tend to get from Perfect Leagues is that they are for the "best of the best," and they think that because of how promotion/relegation is being utilized at the moment (4 up, 2 down across all leagues, especially from Diamond to Perfect) that Perfect Leagues are being too diluted, with way too many teams in perfect leagues with losing records staying up every year.

I know at the beginning that there were plenty of promotions to fill out leagues, and when Perfect Leagues started to be filled for the first time, with only a few leagues, it felt perfect to some people.

So, what say you guys? Are there too many Perfect Leagues out there? What else could be added to this conversation?

"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the f*** they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Last edited by dishnet34; 06-10-2019 at 09:29 AM.
dishnet34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

What they need to do is increase churn all the way up and down the pyramid. The amount of leagues is okay I guess, I could see reducing it (and adding another level in between diamond and perfect), but the gap between diamond and perfect is huge. I just got relegated from perfect 2 seasons ago, then dominated my diamond league and didn't lose a single playoff game, so now I'm headed back. I made no changes to my team between seasons.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
MarkGracesSlumpBuster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Way too many leagues IMO. More teams need to be relegated and only diamond champions should be promoted, not both league winners. Perfect Leagues should be the elite, and right now it’s the elite, good and kinda good. Having fewer perfect leagues will make diamond more competitive. perfect more competitive and the leagues more fun to be apart of.
MarkGracesSlumpBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
MarkGracesSlumpBuster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Right now, it’s not like most perfect leagues have 6-8 dominant teams in them and the rest are decent or good.. it’s usually 25-28 similarly matched teams, and then 1-2’big time teams... so either another league above perfect or fewer perfect leagues makes sense
Old 06-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Yes.The fact that winners in Perfect sometimes have 30+ game leads by the end of the season is proof of this.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
joehart
All Star Starter

I think the argument can also go both ways. With more leagues, you have a better chance of ending up in a weaker one and win the top prize.

I am always cautious about adding another league. If you are the unhappy mid level spending team that ends up as team #30, you will be back here complaining that the new setup ruined your game.
A temporary league with just the perfect league champions? Maybe. Will it solve it all, not so sure.

Personally, I don’t have a big preference and try to find a way to enjoy it all. Not sure if there is a panacea to solve it all. And lots of the arguments over the last year sounded like snake oil.

If we double the number of demotions.... will this ensure that there will be fewer people giving up and forcing a demotion by removing their top players?
Last season, I noticed a mid level perfect team giving up. They were middle of the pack but did not like that competition so they replaced all their players with bronze level players.

I fear there are lots of players that have a psychological need to be in the top or they hate the game. I am not sure if you can solve it for them. They don’t find enjoyment in relegation competition, being a team in the middle of the pack, ....

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
I fear there are lots of players that have a psychological need to be in the top or they hate the game. I am not sure if you can solve it for them. They don’t find enjoyment in relegation competition, being a team in the middle of the pack, ....
I was in the whale Perfect League one season. My team won 51 games and finished 75 games behind the division winner. I didn't mix it up to try to get relegated but I don't think I could fault someone who does that in the same situation.

It's decidedly not fun to be obliterated time and time again. The solution for that? I dunno, maybe more relegations would solve the problem. Maybe more leagues. It's definitely a thing, though.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

There's a number of issues going on here that I think could be improved...

One is the way upper levels are populated early in the process. In the rush to get all levels filled, a lot of teams that aren't ready get pushed up and mixed with those that spend a lot of money to get there quicker. Then it takes forever for that mixed talent to find its own home.

I also strongly believe teams should be promoted based on win% - not playoff results. There are endless discussions here and a majority opinion that a couple 7 game series don't prove anything - and rightfully so. Math doesn't lie.

To improve both of these points, I think teams should be promoted based on win% AND promotions should follow "normal progression" which I would define as 4 up and 4 down at each level (or maybe 6 up and 6 down the first 10 seasons of the year). This would slow down the progressions AND insure better teams got to the top.

I think a lot of us (that aren't whales) would be happy to find a level we could compete for the playoffs regularly and not necessarily be promoted. As it stands now - if we manage a team successfully - we get pushed up to a "Peter's Principle" scenario where there's no place to go but down - and trying to do so could get you banned...

It almost as if the rules of the game are "progress until you fail - then your locked into failing forever" ... not a good goal.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Sticking to the topic of number of perfect leagues:

I think 16 perfect leagues is a good number, with 30-32 teams per league ( no short leagues, but slightly larger ones when the numbers don't work out). Then, a "Tournament of Champions" the following week (4 round best of 7 single elimination) when tournaments become a thing.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishnet34 View Post
So, there has been a discussion in some parts of the PT-verse (mostly on the Discord) about whether or not there are too many Perfect Leagues out there. I think it's a discussion to have, and so that's why I'm posing the question here, so more diverse opinions can be shared on the topic.
You said you wanted diverse opinions. I think the game is fine as it is. There are 25 Perfect Leagues comprising approximately 750 teams. That is only 7.5% of the teams in the universe, which seems like a reasonable percentage for the top of the pyramid.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

1. Cap Perfect Leagues at 26 leagues.
2. Create one single top-tier Perfect League Winners league.
3. Each season, promote the 26 PL winners to PLW.
4. To get the PLW off the ground (initial season), promote 4 other teams from PL to PLW to get a total of 30.
5. Next season, keep only the 4 LCS participants in PLW, relegate everyone else (26 teams) to PL. Also, promote the current 26 PL winners to PLW (if you win your PL, you're promoted to PLW).
6. Rinse and repeat.

Lots of bits and pieces to fit in for anything remotely like this to work properly. Would need to find a solution for the number of Diamonds promoting to PL, for teams relegating from PL to Diamond, and for other promotions/relegations for the other leagues. And a million other little issues/problems that aren't issues/problems today but would be.

Not a developer, but I'm sure it's not as easy as some of you think.

Last edited by pappyzan; 06-10-2019 at 11:19 AM.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post

I think 16 perfect leagues is a good number, with 30-32 teams per league ( no short leagues, but slightly larger ones when the numbers don't work out). Then, a "Tournament of Champions" the following week (4 round best of 7 single elimination) when tournaments become a thing.
Yep, a tournament would be a good idea.

pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #13
nickwatic
Minors (Double A)

The gap between diamond and perfect is massive and many people cannot properly adjust unless they want to become a whale

nickwatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #14
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Here is the distribution of teams this season...

I have been tracking this for several seasons now.. it is actually pretty easy, the only value that needs to be added to this table is number of entry league teams (it was 182 last week, based on rolling trend predicting 160 this week):

Code:
level	teams	leagues	act_lg	promote	relegat	net	newtms	%gain
perfect	742	24.73	25	0	50	66	808	8.9%
diamond	868	28.93	29	116	58	48	916	5.5%
gold	1282	42.73	43	172	86	48	1330	3.7%
silver	1852	61.73	62	248	124	50	1902	2.7%
bronze	2496	83.20	84	336	168	16	2512	0.6%
iron	2954	98.47	99	396	0	-68	2886	-2.3%
total:	10194	339.8	342	160			10354
Perfect is the fastest growing level, and based on current extrapolations and 4 up, 2 down continuing, in 2036, the number of teams in perfect league will exceed the number of diamond teams.

I have two teams at perfect level, and I can see arguments on both sides. Over time, the "average" team at perfect should decrease as perfect gets diluted more and more.

Last edited by allenciox; 06-10-2019 at 11:29 AM.
allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #15
lightningbolts35
Minors (Single A)

I believe there needs to be a league between Diamond and Perfect. As someone else said, there is a huge difference between the two. Perfect should be the best of the best... Also, for the whales. Right now, I've been in Perfect for three years. Twice, my league was loaded with whales (6-8 whale teams). Those teams had winning records and all but about two other teams had losing records. The other time I was in a league with only two whale teams and half the teams had winning records and divisions and wild cards were hotly contested.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against whale teams. They paid a good price to have their team. But for most people who are not willing to spend a lot of money, there should be a league for them that is competitive. People shouldn't feel they have to spend a ton of money or hope for luck of the draw to be in a competitive league.

So what's the answer to the problem... I'm not totally sure. To me, the top four teams by record should move up to the next level up to diamond league. From there, the next two leagues in my scenario should be League champions only move up. Regulated teams should be the bottom four teams by record. I would also suggest that teams that purposely play to lose should be reported and not regulated to a lower league. Not that any of this matters, it's just my opinion...

lightningbolts35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
I WAS sticking to the topic.

Who is promoted (and why) and the number of teams at each level ARE NOT exclusive - they are directly related.

Reducing the number of Perfect Leagues won't solve the problem by itself, because weaker teams will still be promoted into them because they won 4 of 7 games.

How do you support (or ignore) the fact that we demote teams based on worst record - but promote teams based on who wins 4 of 7 games???

Why do you think wild card teams get promoted so often?

Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #17
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningbolts35 View Post
People shouldn't feel they have to spend a ton of money or hope for luck of the draw to be in a competitive league.
It's a pay-to-win game designed to make a profit for its developer. The whole purpose of the game is to entice people to spend money.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #18
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
There's a number of issues going on here that I think could be improved...

One is the way upper levels are populated early in the process. In the rush to get all levels filled, a lot of teams that aren't ready get pushed up and mixed with those that spend a lot of money to get there quicker. Then it takes forever for that mixed talent to find its own home.

I also strongly believe teams should be promoted based on win% - not playoff results. There are endless discussions here and a majority opinion that a couple 7 game series don't prove anything - and rightfully so. Math doesn't lie.

To improve both of these points, I think teams should be promoted based on win% AND promotions should follow "normal progression" which I would define as 4 up and 4 down at each level (or maybe 6 up and 6 down the first 10 seasons of the year). This would slow down the progressions AND insure better teams got to the top.

I think a lot of us (that aren't whales) would be happy to find a level we could compete for the playoffs regularly and not necessarily be promoted. As it stands now - if we manage a team successfully - we get pushed up to a "Peter's Principle" scenario where there's no place to go but down - and trying to do so could get you banned...

It almost as if the rules of the game are "progress until you fail - then your locked into failing forever" ... not a good goal.
Case in point is my Kaneohe Mokes team that had a miracle run to sneak into the playoffs on the last day of the season then upset a couple of whales to win the league. Clearly not ready for Perfect.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #19
Morug
Major Leagues

Its kinda strange to be in perfect league without winning a championship. Only the winner in Diamond must advance in my opinion. I lost in final of diamond but i dont think my team is ready for perfect league. I'll try to win anyway in perfect, but I dont see my team in the playoff soon in perfect.

F2P pack only

F2P AH
Morug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #20
MarkGracesSlumpBuster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Having private leagues could also solve some of the issue. Have it be a league or tournament that requires a password to enter the league.. if the league doesn’t reach X amount of teams, the teams go to random leagues.